Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I basically spent all day yesterday playing Robotek. It's fun, but yeah, pretty repetitive. If you like repetitive games with a neat basic mechanic, it's really good, especially for free. If you don't, it's pretty repetitive.

The game would probably be better if they cut the number of nodes in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
Would anyone like to recommend a good, not puzzle or word-based, game without IAP or grind mechanics? I can feel my patience for grinding growing shorter and shorter. Ridiculous fishing was fun, amd appreciated the lack of IAP, but its still just grind to win. It's fine if the game ends in an hour of play. That's pretty cool, really.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

You guys do know what the Phoneix Wright game is never coming out right?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

j4on posted:

Would anyone like to recommend a good, not puzzle or word-based, game without IAP or grind mechanics?

Whoops, not puzzle. derrrrrrrrrrrr

Helsing's Fire (lite)
Trainyard (lite)
TanZen (lite) or anything by Little White Bear Studios
iCut (lite)
Huebrix
7 Little Words (shitloads of IAP, but they're additional level packs. 50 free puzzles, plus a free daily puzzle)

Not puzzle or word based, without grind or iap? You're asking a lot, man. The best games have at least one of those. Frotz, I guess, if you like old text adventures.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 26, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dewgy posted:

Having just beaten Mystic Quest (check that one off the list), I'll say this: It sure as hell has some of the best music.

Maybe if SE is remaking FF games they'll do a remake of FF:MQ with the music redone with rock+orchestral tracks.

roboshit posted:

iPad gamer dudes, do you guys recommend the 16gb or 32gb iPads? I plan on getting one next month for school and games, and I don't see myself using more than 16gb considering I won't have any music at all on it. Do iPad games eat up storage space pretty quickly?

Get a 16 gig iPad. If you are playing 16+ gigs worth of games at a time you're better off just backing up save files to your computer with iFunbox or whatever instead of spending money on extra memory on the iPad.

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010

roboshit posted:

iPad gamer dudes, do you guys recommend the 16gb or 32gb iPads? I plan on getting one next month for school and games, and I don't see myself using more than 16gb considering I won't have any music at all on it. Do iPad games eat up storage space pretty quickly?

I'd say go with the 32gb. I've got one and I'm currently using 18 gigs on it without any music at all. I use it for school and about a little under a gig of textbooks on it. Most games don't take up much space but a lot do. Both Clash of Heroes and Baldur's Gate take almost 2 gigs a piece and I can see a lot of games I'm looking forward to almost matching that.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe if SE is remaking FF games they'll do a remake of FF:MQ with the music redone with rock+orchestral tracks.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Haha. No. I don't think so, MQ is unlikely to see any love anytime soon sadly.

That said I love the poo poo out of the game, mostly the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6yEhFPaBMo

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

j4on posted:

Would anyone like to recommend a good, not puzzle or word-based, game without IAP or grind mechanics? I can feel my patience for grinding growing shorter and shorter. Ridiculous fishing was fun, amd appreciated the lack of IAP, but its still just grind to win. It's fine if the game ends in an hour of play. That's pretty cool, really.
Give Kingdom Rush a go, it's the best tower defense game on iOS. There is IAP but it was added as an after thought and you can play through the whole game without ever even feeling the need for it.

New Star Soccer CONSUMED my life for a couple of months. It's free with a 99c fee to unlock the full game. You manage a rising soccer star's career, make choices about how you spend your time (training/fans/team/girlfriend), which skills to work on etc. It's a really clever little game and I just couldn't put it down.

Swordigo - side scrolling Zelda-lite

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DrSalt posted:

I'd say go with the 32gb. I've got one and I'm currently using 18 gigs on it without any music at all. I use it for school and about a little under a gig of textbooks on it. Most games don't take up much space but a lot do. Both Clash of Heroes and Baldur's Gate take almost 2 gigs a piece and I can see a lot of games I'm looking forward to almost matching that.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is how much data each app stores. For instance, Instagram is a 26mb app but, for some reason, it takes up over 400mb on my phone. I've never posted a picture with it and I only use it to follow some Japanese dachshund owners because adorable. Countless other apps do this and it's hard to predict just how much room you'll have taken up by mystery bits.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Bummey posted:

Another thing you need to keep in mind is how much data each app stores. For instance, Instagram is a 26mb app but, for some reason, it takes up over 400mb on my phone. I've never posted a picture with it and I only use it to follow some Japanese dachshund owners because adorable. Countless other apps do this and it's hard to predict just how much room you'll have taken up by mystery bits.
It's probably because the app is downloading and caching every image it pulls from the network. There are desktop/jailbreak apps you can download that clean that.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

psylent posted:

Give Kingdom Rush a go, it's the best tower defense game on iOS. There is IAP but it was added as an after thought and you can play through the whole game without ever even feeling the need for it.

New Star Soccer CONSUMED my life for a couple of months. It's free with a 99c fee to unlock the full game. You manage a rising soccer star's career, make choices about how you spend your time (training/fans/team/girlfriend), which skills to work on etc. It's a really clever little game and I just couldn't put it down.

Swordigo - side scrolling Zelda-lite

All of these games are awesome. Swordigo is the best of the lot but will keep you occupied for the least amount of time.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

j4on posted:

Check out the iOS board game thread. Not sure if it will be what you are looking for, but lots or replayability and the only IAP is expansions in the games. I think now most of the games have an AI of some sort or another, but you might want to do a little bit of research to see if the AI provides an actual challenge.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

j4on posted:

King of Dragon Pass.

Although maybe that counts as word-based?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Those of you that were waiting for the Jones On Fire patch - it's now live. Leaderboards are back up and in, fixes a bunch of bugs, smooths the camera hitches out a bit, etc. The fall through terrain glitch is apparently still possible to pull off, though it should be rarer.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

j4on posted:

Try these:

walking dead - episodic but a great take on the comics. First episode is free so you can test it out before you buy it.

tactical warrior - crappy graphics but a very fun and deep turn based strategy game. There is an rpg element but you can't replay fights so there isn't a chance to grind. Has a free demo mode if you want to try it.

ascension - A great board game. Basically you have to build your own card deck while preventing your opponent from building theirs. It got some IAP but they just expansion and they add a lot to the game.

Plants vs Zombies - A pop cap classic. Use your garden to stop a horde of zombies.

Year walk - I haven't played this one but the people here love it. Walk around some dark woods meeting horrible folk lore creatures. Spooky, great art, no IAP at all. Be sure to download the companion app, gives you a little backstory to each creature you will meet.

Lost wind and Lost wind 2 - A wii game turned into an IOS. Play a weakened god of wind and lead a little boy to destroy evil.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 27, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Are there any sheepshead iOS games out there? A basic search of the App Store reveals just a couple score keeping apps.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pladdicus posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Haha. No. I don't think so, MQ is unlikely to see any love anytime soon sadly.

That said I love the poo poo out of the game, mostly the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6yEhFPaBMo
There are a lot of awesome remixes. There's even an album of someone's Mystic Quest performances on YouTube.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Re: Year Walk, I didn't like it as much as some here. There were some things that worked great, the puzzles were well done, the atmosphere/sounds are top notch, art style is great, setting was unique. But the things that killed it for me were the needless jump scares that just got trite after awhile, and having a separate app necessary to understand what the hell is going on (and apparently to get the good ending, if I understand correctly.) Other games do fine inserting or hiding that info in the game for you to find, this felt like it was trying to be The David Lynch Game. And not the better movies, either.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Do we usually find out what's going to be in a store update before it comes out?

I'm really curious if FF5 will come out the same time as Japan. store updates in a day right?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Has anyone played the 'Towelfight 2' app yet? I heard it was like Legend of Zelda/Binding of Isaac but on iOS and it's apparently had the controls improved in a patch. Anyone got any thoughts/feelings before I take the plunge on it?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Allan Assiduity posted:

Has anyone played the 'Towelfight 2' app yet? I heard it was like Legend of Zelda/Binding of Isaac but on iOS and it's apparently had the controls improved in a patch. Anyone got any thoughts/feelings before I take the plunge on it?
Bought it for a buck, played it for 5 minutes so far, seems ok enough.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Abugadu posted:

(and apparently to get the good ending, if I understand correctly.)

Hahahahaha.

It isn't really a game, as such. It is not what you would call fun. It's a kind of interactive art piece.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Corridor posted:

Hahahahaha.

It isn't really a game, as such. It is not what you would call fun. It's a kind of interactive art piece.

Well, I thought the puzzles were good, and for me that was enough to push it into 'game' territory instead of just being art. Because it is really, really tough to come up with novel puzzles that aren't stupidly obtuse. These were fresh and deductible.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I was this close to finishing pixel people so of course today they would release an update with 55 new jobs and a bunch of new buildings. And to think I thought I was gonna have my free time back soon.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm sure its already been discussed, but has anybody played The Silent Age? Its an Ipad point and click adventure game with a time travel mechanic, and its probably be most fun I've had for free on an Ipad. Its definitely episodic and only takes about an hour to finish, but its really of a high level of quality.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm sure its already been discussed, but has anybody played The Silent Age? Its an Ipad point and click adventure game with a time travel mechanic, and its probably be most fun I've had for free on an Ipad. Its definitely episodic and only takes about an hour to finish, but its really of a high level of quality.

Pretty moody thing too.

I saw on the dev's site that they intend them all to be free so long as they can get the donations to make it happen.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

j4on posted:

Have you played Sword & Sworcery yet? You should play that.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Allan Assiduity posted:

I hated it at first because of the controls but they improved a lot since launch. It's a cool game, although not as random as you'd hope if you're after BoI. I'd say grab it, personally.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fonzarelli posted:

I wasn't crazy about it-- it was a good effort for a free game but the lack of animations hurt the sense of production values (like, if you break a window, the screen just fades in and out and the window is broken-- no animation or sound or anything) -- I liked the writing, but the "puzzles" for the most part were REALLY simple object stuff. When you pick something up its generally immediately apparent where (and when) to use it, it's just a matter of backtracking to that particular area. It was cool how smooth/instant the time-travel mechanic was, though! I just wish it took advantage of its potential better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So now that Sonic Dash dropped to the still-not-free-but-hey-99-cents tier, is there a good endless runner in there or is it a bad game?

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
So what's the deal with the golden hearts in the new update of Pixel People?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Funkz posted:

So what's the deal with the golden hearts in the new update of Pixel People?

I haven't played it since updating but I remember the update notes said something about getting animals through a different surprise system.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Bummey posted:

I haven't played it since updating but I remember the update notes said something about getting animals through a different surprise system.

Well, in regards to that, the instant surprises has been moved from the Gene Pool building to the Animal Shelter. Also the price for an instant surprise has been increased from 2 mil to 4 mil gold coins now.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've been playing the poo poo out of One Epic Knight. If you're into endless 3D runners, this one could be for you.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
What's the consensus on Football Manager 2013? Is it any good/worth :10bux:?

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Shwqa posted:

Try these:

walking dead - episodic but a great take on the comics. First episode is free so you can test it out before you buy it.

tactical warrior - crappy graphics but a very fun and deep turn based strategy game. There is an rpg element but you can't replay fights so their isn't a chance to grind. Has a free demo mode if you want to try it.

ascension - A great board game. Basically you have to build your own card deck while preventing your opponent forum building theirs. It got some IAP but they just expansion and they add a lot to the game.

Plants vs Zombies - A pop cap classic. Use your garden to stop a horde of zombies.

Year walk - I haven't played this one but the people here love it. Walk around some dark woods meeting horrible folk lore creatures. Spooky, great art, no IAP at all. Be sure to download the companion app, gives you a little backstory to each creature you will meet.

Lost wind and Lost wind 2 - A wii game turned into an IOS. Play a weakened god of wind and lead a little boy to destroy evil.

Thanks a ton for all the recommendations (for everyone), playing year walk now. Awesome. I've grown allergic to experience points and in-app currency.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

iOS Board games are still on the old model of base game + expansions, just like the cardboard games they sprang from.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Somebody recommended Doptrix earlier in the thread when it went on a free sale. It's been a month and I'm still playing the poo poo out of it on the bus. It takes a while to wrap your head around the idea of being able to rotate a tetris board, but once you start figuring out how to rack up points it gets awesome.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I know it isn't out yet (I got one of the codes), but can someone tell me what the difference is between Bones and Ulrich in Nimblequest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I know it isn't out yet (I got one of the codes), but can someone tell me what the difference is between Bones and Ulrich in Nimblequest?

Their armor rating versus strength, maybe? I always felt like Bones was stronger.

• Locked thread