Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I said come in! posted:

So what is Uhura's role now? Judging by the trailers, she has some from someone who translates alien languages, to some sort of combat special ops role. Her character is so completely random.

See, if I buy into the Star Trek convention where command crews always go on away missions, then I also imagine that beyond their shipboard specialties they are trained for various forms of combat and survival. I really doubt that people who can't handle themselves would be taken into really risky situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had a thought about the villain's motivation.

Maybe Section 31 worked with Spock to get as much intel/technology as possible, because once Vulcan was destroyed Spock knew the Temporal Prime Directive was hosed.

Cumber-catch is a 'by the book' super soldier dude (maybe an Augment) who found out and disagreed (knowing about the problems with Archer and the Temporal Cold War)

:goonsay:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Are you kidding? Starfleet is totally the space navy whose training involves sitting down and watching a half-hour training VHS and writing a ten-question exam after. Just look at all those guys in red turned into dusty cubes and scorch marks.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Are you kidding? Starfleet is totally the space navy whose training involves sitting down and watching a half-hour training VHS and writing a ten-question exam after. Just look at all those guys in red turned into dusty cubes and scorch marks.

I always thought of Starfleet when watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFYmv6t_Xyg

DrinkMoreBeer
Jan 23, 2006

by toby
I bet Cumberbatch is a genetically altered superman like Khan, but we find out his DNA is based on Klingon DNA, hence why he looks a little weird. That way they touch on the Khan story and have a way to bring Klingons into the next movie.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What the gently caress? This "oh oh, he's a reverse Klingon Augment!" theory is so dumb. Cumberbatch is just an odd-looking fellow.

Goreld posted:

I always thought of Starfleet when watching this video:

Amazing :allears:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

McDowell posted:

I had a thought about the villain's motivation.

Maybe Section 31 worked with Spock to get as much intel/technology as possible, because once Vulcan was destroyed Spock knew the Temporal Prime Directive was hosed.

Cumber-catch is a 'by the book' super soldier dude (maybe an Augment) who found out and disagreed (knowing about the problems with Archer and the Temporal Cold War)

:goonsay:
Uhhhhh.... You do realize that canon wise augmentation never actually dissappeared right? Honestly, a good guess is that the little girl is suffereing from a disease that the agument treatments could fix but because of Khan its illegal. The horrible thing that Starfleet has done is doom people to death due to their paranoia.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MadScientistWorking posted:

Honestly, a good guess is that the little girl is suffereing from a disease that the agument treatments could fix but because of Khan its illegal. The horrible thing that Starfleet has done is doom people to death due to their paranoia.

This could be great.

I would love for them to bring in the Augments by name, because it would confirm the canon status of Enterprise, tie in something that showed up in TOS, TNG, and DS9 as well, and it also is a great "current events" issue. It is the perfect use of scifi, using it to talk about something we are debating now.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Y'all I feel odd about this since I've watched literally hundreds of hours of Star Trek but I really have to ask - what the gently caress is an Augment?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

penismightier posted:

Y'all I feel odd about this since I've watched literally hundreds of hours of Star Trek but I really have to ask - what the gently caress is an Augment?

Khan and his people.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Khan and his people.

Oh, that makes sense. When do they call them that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

penismightier posted:

Enterprise. The episode with Brent Spiner

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

penismightier posted:

Been awhile since I've seen Wrath or Space Seed, but it's the preferred term for them in DS9 and Enterprise, that and DNA re-sequenced. Guess it sounds a little beter than eugenic superman.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Been awhile since I've seen Wrath or Space Seed, but it's the preferred term for them in DS9 and Enterprise, that and DNA re-sequenced. Guess it sounds a little beter than eugenic superman.

They totally don't say that in DS9.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

penismightier posted:

Also,

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Look at that prana bindu mastery! She knows the Weirding Way.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Their powers of flipping people over are to be reckoned with.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Punch-Out!! uppercut yields a cleaner flip, but there's more élan to the Khan golf swing punch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

penismightier posted:

The Punch-Out!! uppercut yields a cleaner flip, but there's more élan to the Khan golf swing punch.

Kirk's hammer punch beats Khan golf swing punch

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 27, 2013

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

penismightier posted:

Bashir and his spaceweirdo friends are referenced as enhanced, and Augmented as another reasonable of putting 'genetic space science stuff'

TumblrMatch is a guy genetically engineered to be an autistic space ninja.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

penismightier posted:

I think this is the first time I've heard élan to describe something about Star Trek.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

penismightier posted:

There was that whole subplot arc with Bashir--what did they call him?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Madurai posted:

A changeling.

:v:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Madurai posted:

I think just genetically enhanced? I don't think there was a term, it's sticking in my mind because it feels really weird to see that as like a capitalized codified Bad Guy Race since Trek always played it as an individual character trait, not like a stat sheet figure with a consistent and purposed result, ya know? Does that make sense? It makes sense to me.

I'm not going anywhere with this, it's just interesting to me, like when I found out they never said "Ewok" in Jedi.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

penismightier posted:

it's just interesting to me, like when I found out they never said "Ewok" in Jedi.

I never realized this. How the hell did I never realize this??

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Nah, "Eugenic Superman" sounds scary and awesome. "Augment" sounds like something you buy off a Shadowrun equipment list.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Up in the sky! Is it a bird? No! A plane? No!

It's Eugenic Superman!

Born of the planet Eugenic Krypton, Eugenic Superman defends truth, justice, and the ability to make illegal genetic modifications to embryos and children.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, "Eugenic Superman" sounds scary and awesome. "Augment" sounds like something you buy off a Shadowrun equipment list.

I think the IP you're looking for is Deus Ex.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

octoroon posted:

I think the IP you're looking for is Deus Ex.

Besides all the wizards and poo poo, what's the difference?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Besides all the wizards and poo poo, what's the difference?

In practical terms not much, Deus Ex just throws around variations of the word "augment" like candy. Upgrades are "augs," etc. It uses the word in its various forms more than any other sci-fi I can think of.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

octoroon posted:

In practical terms not much, Deus Ex just throws around variations of the word "augment" like candy. Upgrades are "augs," etc. It uses the word in its various forms more than any other sci-fi I can think of.

Ahh, okay. I was wondering why you were telling me that one cyberpunk reference was better than another.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Empire Magazine pretty much confirmed this month that the ship in the trailer breaking up in the atmosphere is Enterprise. Whether it's the same ship that crashes into the water though remains to be seen.

Killing off Enterprise in the 2nd movie. drat you Abrams! :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WMain00 posted:

Empire Magazine pretty much confirmed this month that the ship in the trailer breaking up in the atmosphere is Enterprise. Whether it's the same ship that crashes into the water though remains to be seen.

Killing off Enterprise in the 2nd movie. drat you Abrams! :colbert:

As Battlestar has shown a ship breaking up in the atmosphere does not mean it will be destroyed.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

As Battlestar has shown a ship breaking up in the atmosphere does not mean it will be destroyed.

If the Enterprise warps out of the atmosphere to save itself the internet might melt from all the rage. Going to warp in a solar system is one thing, but inside an atmosphere JUS' CANNUH BE DONE CAPTAIN.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Either it's a fakeout somehow or they're going to destroy it.

either way it's lame and I may have given Abrams and his team too much credit for the first movie. :(

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
When we see the Enterprise (or whatever it is) crash land it still looks pretty much intact. It might be taken out of commission but I don't think it'll be destroyed. Especially if it can rise from the depths of the ocean.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Lotta people gettin' upset about a ship maybe crashing in this thread. Or a couple of people.

To me that just raises the stakes. I don't really wanna see any of the main cast bite it, the ship is the next most important member of the "crew", so killing it off definitely gets me on board.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I thought that a lot of people disliked the way the new Enterprise looked, why be mad that they're gonna have to build a new one?!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Crashing it into the ocean and letting it swim around awhile before flying off into space is stupid because it reminds me about how the drat thing was built inside a gravity well in the first place, and how stupid it was then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

And here I always thought people were unfair to call Star Trek fans pedantic bores, but this thread has opened my eyes.

• Locked thread