Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I really enjoyed the weird levels of Doom 2 like Tricks n' Traps and Barrels of Fun.

And to go off on another game, I recently installed Unreal Gold with the 227i fan patch and a few gigs of custom textures. It still holds up really well and the sound design and music is loving top notch. Honestly the thing that ages it the most is the quality of the animations and the fact that all of the buttons are these giant blocky constructs because everything is in 3D now.

Thank goodness for that fan patch though, the sound was fuuucked without it.

Unreal 1 is one of the few games where everything comes together perfectly. The level design, music and game play all work together to really make you feel you're taking a long journey through an alien planet. I don't think Epic could reproduce Unreal 1 today, no matter how hard they tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I really miss games where the scale of the architecture is completely cockeyed. I want it to take five minutes to walk to that temple in the distance and when I get there all the ceilings are 30 feet high for no reason.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

gooby on rails posted:

I really miss games where the scale of the architecture is completely cockeyed. I want it to take five minutes to walk to that temple in the distance and when I get there all the ceilings are 30 feet high for no reason.

The ceilings are 30 feet high because loving aliens. Boom, GOTY 1997.

The Doom 2 "Super Shotgun" is the iambic pentameter of the shotgun world. It is a perfectly balanced series of sounds, and that is why it is so timeless and beautiful.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

catlord posted:

I found that the beginning of the game is really terrible. As the game goes on, however, it gets better and better, though some of the enemies have too much health and should have it cut down a fair amount (the guys that get back up and the vixens). Route 66 is pretty fantastic, and what I played of Rides Again was good too, though the soundtrack, barring the first song, is not nearly as great.

I think that Redneck Rampage is also the most difficult of the Build Engine FPS', because of health system and hitscan enemies leads to a lot of drinking a lot, no having anything around to eat, and spending ten minutes or so standing around waiting for your drink meter to go down. I think it could stand to have the cooldown on that be a lot shorter, personally.

But goddamn is that soundtrack fantastic. I've been eagerly awaiting news from Bloatoid about if he'll make another Build Engine mod. I think he could do something amazing with Redneck Rampage or Shadow Warrior, or even Duke.

Using a toilet would not only recover health like in Duke Nukem 3D, but it would also reduce your food and alcohol meters, though if you're completely shitfaced it was hard enough trying to walk straight, let alone find a toilet.

The mechanics in the game weren't perfect, but they were unique. Just the way it handled health management alone was fun, and with a bit more balance it would've been perfect (like you said, there were too many alcohol inventory health items and not enough food-based ones). I would've loved it if they had gotten another full game out. The expansions were fun, but the soundtracks as a whole just wasn't as good (though Mojo Nixon's "Redneck Rampage" was awesome, as was Disgraceland :btroll: ). It just seems like it was a victim of being one of the last Build Engine games, as well as one of the last FPS titles of that era.

Maybe someday it'll get the modding attention it deserves. :smith:

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

One quirk of Marathon map design I always liked was the elaborate jumping puzzles in a game where you don't have a jump button. Infinity did this quite a bit: you'd see a jagged mess of platform against a wall that was actually a zigzag staircase requiring precision leaps to ascend.

Obviously you could cheat past some of these if you had the grenade launcher, but I loved the idea of a level where you go through so many rooms and enemies just to get to a platform a few meters higher so you could fall onto the ledge leading to the exit. So many people bitch about how in modern games big tough soldier man can't get over a waist-high fence, but back then it inspired some wonderfully ridiculous puzzle rooms.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Using a toilet would not only recover health like in Duke Nukem 3D, but it would also reduce your food and alcohol meters, though if you're completely shitfaced it was hard enough trying to walk straight, let alone find a toilet.

You're kidding me. I never knew that!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

catlord posted:

You're kidding me. I never knew that!

I want to say it reduced both meters by about a quarter each, in addition to giving you health. I also believe it reduced your food meter even if you used a urinal. :getin:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just went through Wolfenstein (the Doom II secret level, or "IDKFA" :jerkbag:, not the game) and Grosse (or "Keen" :jerkbag:) in the BFG version of Doom II and god drat they were awful, awful disappointments.

I did manage to snag that achievement for killing a Cyberdemon with your fists, though :buddy:

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

And to go off on another game, I recently installed Unreal Gold with the 227i fan patch and a few gigs of custom textures. It still holds up really well and the sound design and music is loving top notch. Honestly the thing that ages it the most is the quality of the animations and the fact that all of the buttons are these giant blocky constructs because everything is in 3D now.
Only bad thing the difficulty, which plateaus for most of the game but takes a massive spike in the last quarter or so. In the original it's not a problem because it's kind of easy overall, but at Unreal difficulty in 227 expect the the last couple of levels to absolutely loving hate you.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How is it that nobody has topped that thing? We have had so many years of iteration on the FPS formula, and I think in video games as a whole there has been a ton of improvement on how games control, and how they *feel* to play, but somehow nobody has come up with a better shotgun.
It's almost the opposite of the Doom SSG, but I always liked the Flak cannon in UT. It's extremely short ranged and projectile based, but in the inflatable clown castle that was UTs movement system managing to get right up in someones face and hit them with every single jagged molten flechette was always ridiculously satisfying.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I don't know what it was about Doom 1 and 2, but they just looked like a game should look, it felt right, I've played Duke Nukem 3D, and just watched that Marathon clip. And they looked cheap. I don't know if I can get across what I mean correctly. But Doom felt like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D always felt to me like a mod of some other game by someone who didn't quite know what they were doing. A very good mod, but still. Marathon just looks like a sequel to Chex Quest to me. Don't get me wrong, it looks like it's a lot of fun, I'll play it sometime, but it doesn't grab me visually the way doom does. I don't know what it is.

Maybe it's because I grew up playing Doom, but didn't get to play the others until recently so all I have his my grown up, critical experience with them. :smith:

The shotguns in Blood looked ridiculous, they sounded bad to, like someone shuffling around dominoes in a wooden box or something, it took me a while to even realise it was a shotgun, it looks like a weird metal drain pipe or something. UT's Flak cannon, or more specifically, UT99's flak cannon, is awesome, splatting enemies up close or hitting them with the alt fire was always so satisfying, and the weapon sounded and looked great. I think that will be my favorite weapon in a game ever for a long time yet.

UT99 was another one of those games that felt like a legit professional product to me. Even though Quake 3 looked better and was quicker and smoother, it just felt like some weird engine demo to me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm playing Duke 3D for the first time past episode one with the recent Megaton release (even though I owned it on GOG.com and the Saturn :v:). I agree with whoever it was just prior who said the second episode was a bit poo poo, but ep3 was pretty good - less mazelike, flowed better. gently caress Hotel Hell though. Stupid waterfall.

:dukedog:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So has anyone played Witchaven? How is it? I like the idea of a 90's FPS only instead of guns I use swords and magic and poo poo.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So has anyone played Witchaven? How is it? I like the idea of a 90's FPS only instead of guns I use swords and magic and poo poo.

It's interesting, but it's a Capstone game, so it's not great.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

catlord posted:

But goddamn is that soundtrack fantastic. I've been eagerly awaiting news from Bloatoid about if he'll make another Build Engine mod. I think he could do something amazing with Redneck Rampage or Shadow Warrior, or even Duke.

I've never used Shadow Warrior's editor before, and it's been ages since I played around in Build for Duke3D. Blood's Mapedit basically took everything that was bad about Build and improved it, like showing you the distance ambient sounds travel rather than putting a random number into a sector effector and crossing your fingers. I don't know if I could do what I did in Death Wish with Build, especially since I could hardly get working subways moving properly back then.

I think the real trick to learning all the cool stuff in Build and Mapedit was to open the retail maps and start pulling them apart. After you've been building a while you'll be able to work around (or even exploit) some of the glitchy stuff. Aside from Death Wish and other single player maps I have a ton of BloodBath maps I've made, which I'll probably tune up and release if the source is released and community expands a bit with modding.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Blood source will never be legally released, ever, but the DaggerXL guy is basically decompiling and rewriting the original binaries in C as part of his work on that project, so that's as close as we'll ever get really.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

I just went through Wolfenstein (the Doom II secret level, or "IDKFA" :jerkbag:, not the game) and Grosse (or "Keen" :jerkbag:) in the BFG version of Doom II and god drat they were awful, awful disappointments.

Yeah those are versions modified so that they're legal to release in Germany (and go one better than the original German release of Doom II by actually existing albeit modified, instead of just making the WAD 30 levels longand no secret maps).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

QwertySanchez posted:

I don't know what it was about Doom 1 and 2, but they just looked like a game should look, it felt right, I've played Duke Nukem 3D, and just watched that Marathon clip. And they looked cheap. I don't know if I can get across what I mean correctly. But Doom felt like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D always felt to me like a mod of some other game by someone who didn't quite know what they were doing.

One thing I can't help but notice in Build engine games is that certain lighting conditions in sectors cause textures to look washed out as all hell. It makes some levels or areas in Duke and Blood very, very ugly. Aside from that, though, I think the games look fine. Different, sure, but fine.

The Kins posted:

The Blood source will never be legally released, ever,

Let us dream :arghfist::(

EDIT:

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah those are versions modified so that they're legal to release in Germany (and go one better than the original German release of Doom II by actually existing albeit modified, instead of just making the WAD 30 levels longand no secret maps).

Oh yeah, I know why it was done and I can't really hold it against id Software for making the decision, but it doesn't change the fact that the levels were disappointing. At least keep the loving music!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 26, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mak0rz posted:

One thing I can't help but notice in Build engine games is that certain lighting conditions in sectors cause textures to look washed out as all hell. It makes some levels or areas in Duke and Blood very, very ugly. Aside from that, though, I think the games look fine. Different, sure, but fine.

Yeah but that's kinda up to the designer since there is no dynamic lighting of any sort. If I remember correctly you can crank the brightness of any texture in Build up so high it's just a white mess.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah but that's kinda up to the designer since there is no dynamic lighting of any sort. If I remember correctly you can crank the brightness of any texture in Build up so high it's just a white mess.

Ah, so Build doesn't have lighting the same way the Doom engine does? Instead sectors are 'lit' by altering the brightness/gamma of their textures (and any sprites within them). Is that right?

The washed out textures makes a lot more sense now.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

No, that's not right. You can make a texture darker, but you can't make it brighter. The most you can do is give it a positive shade so that it doesn't fade to darkness as quickly as other textures, but the default brightness when you place something is the highest it can go. Other than that though, Shading is all done by hand which is good and bad - bad because it takes along time, but good because you can have much higher precision than Doom's model.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Jblade posted:

No, that's not right. You can make a texture darker, but you can't make it brighter. The most you can do is give it a positive shade so that it doesn't fade to darkness as quickly as other textures, but the default brightness when you place something is the highest it can go.

Oh yeah. I'm not sure then what's Mak0rz means but I think this:

Mak0rz posted:

Ah, so Build doesn't have lighting the same way the Doom engine does? Instead sectors are 'lit' by altering the brightness/gamma of their textures (and any sprites within them). Is that right?

...is still correct with the brightness of objects in a sector relying on how dark the floor is. You have to manually set the darkness on the floor, ceiling and walls.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Oh yeah, I know why it was done and I can't really hold it against id Software for making the decision, but it doesn't change the fact that the levels were disappointing. At least keep the loving music!

Alternatively, replace the textures, music, sprites and sounds with new stuff. If the lumps are the same but have different audio and visual data, Doomseeker still checks it out as okay and lets you pass through.
As it is now, any wad with the Nazis, Wolfentextures, or whatever is now completely incompatible with the Doom 3 BFG wad.

You have no idea how many times I've seen half the roster of an online game get kicked out for level authentication failure on loading up a new map just because a map wanted a clever little Wolfenstein easter egg. :sigh:

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
If you ever want to go back and play Marathon 1, grab the packaged up downloads here:

http://source.bungie.org/games/marathon.php

Don't get the M1A1 files. I reworked the entirety of M1A1 with Hamish the author the Marathon Story Page to make it behave correctly. There's a lot of mistakes in M1A1 that I fixed. From moister behavior, to completely incorrect values for the Hulks to weapon damage value problems. And yes, I put that god damned puzzle back in. Sue me. I also made sure all the secret areas can be reached.

Marathon 1 makes heavy use of Glue and Super Glue polygons. A glue polygon will lock a monster down until an action wakes him up, such as a visual on the player or sound. A Super Glue polygon will just lock a monster in place. These don't exist in Marathon 2/Infinity, and thus the Aleph One engine can't do them. So I had to make extensive use of Monster Impassible polygons. And in a few cases, straight up new physics models (the S'pht who are captured and in stasis on the Pfhor ships). I'll have to go back and look, but I must of made over 2000 changes to M1A1 to make it work. I had to recreate each encounter inside Marathon 1. So if you fire up Marathon 1 now, on the first level you can look through the windows of the Marathon into a different part of the ship and activate the Pfhor who can see you. Also I made sure all the right compilers are at their computer terminals, and won't activate unless you shoot them. It totally gives Marathon 1 that creepy feeling when you are in map mode, and turn it off to have a S'pht right in front of you.

Also it comes with a new floating HUD so you don't feel as cramped as you used to with all the crap on the screen.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Literally every other game on Steam with Germany-safe alterations has a separate version without the alterations for other territories. Why doesn't Doom 3 BFG? Has anyone gotten a chance to ask someone at ID what the gently caress?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

WickedIcon posted:

Literally every other game on Steam with Germany-safe alterations has a separate version without the alterations for other territories. Why doesn't Doom 3 BFG? Has anyone gotten a chance to ask someone at ID what the gently caress?

Because in Hell, even the Nazis will be subject to censorship.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WickedIcon posted:

If you want the regular Doom II wad, just get Doom II on Steam.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

hippieman posted:

If you ever want to go back and play Marathon 1, grab the packaged up downloads here:

On the back of this - I made a quick Autohotkey app to allow quicksaving with F5. This just binds the existing quicksave cheat (CTRL+yourmom) to F5 to save annoyance, so should work in any Aleph One game. I've also included an easily modifiable FOV fix which I cribbed from the old thread somewhere.

edit: When alt tabbing out and back, press alt one more time when in game to get it working again. Not sure why that happens.

Download it here!

Convex fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 27, 2013

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

hippieman posted:

And yes, I put that god damned puzzle back in. Sue me.

When I played through Marathon 1 recently, I didn't find that puzzle that difficult. A little annoying that you have to wait for the platforms to go all the way up or down before adjusting, but other than that it wasn't too bad.

Were you the one that removed the Pathways Into Darkness minilevel at the beginning of Arrival? I was a little sad to see it gone.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

hippieman posted:

(Marathon stuff)

Hippieman is a real hoopy frood. I've used this to play through about half of Marathon so far... back in the day my Mac couldn't really handle it and I never got out of the first level in the demo.

(I didn't know there was a quicksave cheat!)

FYI for anyone else trying it, I had to set my vertical mouse sensitivity to about 4x the horizontal sensitivity. Mouselooking your view is going to be a bit odd compared to "real 3D" games, but I found that if I run it windowed rather than fullscreen I can roll with the way it feels.

If you want to manually mess around with your config file, for mouse sens values and other stuff, then it's located (on Windows 7) in your AppData/Local/AlephOne folder.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

hippieman posted:

And yes, I put that god damned puzzle back in. Sue me.

And here I thought you were fixing mistakes, not reintroducing them :mad:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

0 rows returned posted:

Were you the one that removed the Pathways Into Darkness minilevel at the beginning of Arrival? I was a little sad to see it gone.

It wasn't part of the original :colbert:

And that puzzle was so annoying that the developer responsible put a hidden apology into a future game.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

hippieman posted:

Don't get the M1A1 files. I reworked the entirety of M1A1 with Hamish the author the Marathon Story Page to make it behave correctly. There's a lot of mistakes in M1A1 that I fixed. From moister behavior, to completely incorrect values for the Hulks to weapon damage value problems. And yes, I put that god damned puzzle back in. Sue me. I also made sure all the secret areas can be reached.

Marathon 1 makes heavy use of Glue and Super Glue polygons. A glue polygon will lock a monster down until an action wakes him up, such as a visual on the player or sound. A Super Glue polygon will just lock a monster in place. These don't exist in Marathon 2/Infinity, and thus the Aleph One engine can't do them. So I had to make extensive use of Monster Impassible polygons. And in a few cases, straight up new physics models (the S'pht who are captured and in stasis on the Pfhor ships). I'll have to go back and look, but I must of made over 2000 changes to M1A1 to make it work. I had to recreate each encounter inside Marathon 1. So if you fire up Marathon 1 now, on the first level you can look through the windows of the Marathon into a different part of the ship and activate the Pfhor who can see you. Also I made sure all the right compilers are at their computer terminals, and won't activate unless you shoot them. It totally gives Marathon 1 that creepy feeling when you are in map mode, and turn it off to have a S'pht right in front of you.

Also it comes with a new floating HUD so you don't feel as cramped as you used to with all the crap on the screen.

If I've never played Marathon, should I use this to play for the first time?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

So, I just beat Serpent Resurrection, 2 entire days later. The game time says it took me 14 hours, but that's not including reload times. That's also not including the fact that I got really tired towards the end and cheated, otherwise add at least an hour onto that. That was one HELL of an adventure, it's not something I could stomach replaying for a long time and it had lots of little niggles but it was definitly worth it. The only big problem I had, and I'm not sure if it's the mod, GZdoom, or just my aging computer but several crashes wiped my savegames. There's autosaves at the start of levels but when a single level can take upwards of an hour or two to clear that's not as helpful. Definitly save in a couple of slots for this one.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

horse mans posted:

If I've never played Marathon, should I use this to play for the first time?

Absolutely.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

0 rows returned posted:

Yes, I also removed the weird Hulk level, and the Marathon Comic told in terminals from it. I also got the Aleph One engine updated to do the two different tones on Marathon startup instead of just one tone.

I also added several very tiny hard to see ledges to a few levels so you can grenade hop up to areas that the M1 engine would allow you to reach, but M2/Infinity would not.

Also Hulks die properly, and some monsters don't always do a hard death. I even fixed the Map annotations. I made it as authentic to Marathon 1 as humanly possible. Then I added a bunch of higher rez textures and a new floating hud and a more standard WASD/mouse config for default and target reticules, cause I'm a hypocrite like that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Duke It Out In DC was awful. Smithsonian Terror especially. Are the other two packs any better?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Duke It Out In DC was awful. Smithsonian Terror especially. Are the other two packs any better?

Life's a Beach was really good--I can say that much.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So out of curiosity, are there any easy to follow tutorials for total beginners for making Duke Nukem 3D maps? Something that's easy to follow like that goon authored Doombuilder tutorial posted a few times earlier in the thread. Also, what's the best tool? EDUKE32 comes with... Mapster32, right? I really don't know anything about it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Some multiplayer footage of the new Rise of the Triad game has popped up from PAX, and...uh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey_Wey4y40c&feature=youtu.be

Did they seriously just implement a little Barkley photo to pop up whenever you perform a Firebomb slam, ala the "Toasty" guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Life's a Beach was really good--I can say that much.

After now playing the other two, yeah, it's very much the better of the three. Nuclear Winter was abysmal. It was basically the sort of low effort spritehacks you'd see coming out of a Mario ROM hack. And I sure did love Santa repeating that one line he had every time I shot the stupid bastard.