Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

rarbatrol posted:

On a similar note, Koenigsegg uses a "ghost light" effect to light their dash buttons on the Agera. I've read it's aluminum with nanotubes going through it, so it looks like a solid piece of metal when the backlight is off. I'm having a hell of a time finding a good picture of it, though.

Just laser drilling like Apple's notebook LEDs right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

the poi posted:

Just laser drilling like Apple's notebook LEDs right?

I was going to say this. Apple has been doing this for 3-4 years now. Basically tons of little holes, that when light comes on from behind make it 'transparent'. The FaceTime/iSight camera green led is like this, as well as the 'breathing' indicator on the front.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
I can't be the only one who built these when he was younger, right?

I also had a Wankel and some sort of WWII fighter plane that had an electric motor in it that would spin the propeller and raise and lower the landing gear.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Here's a video of it being described by Christian von Koenigsegg himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpIQI-YtMsA

Christian von Koenigsegg posted:

Also, we have a philosophy that inside the car, basically the only materials you can touch is either leather, carbon fiber or metal. There's no plastic anywhere.

I guess no one told him that the polymer in CRP is plastic, hence the acronym.

So here's a Volvo PV444 made out of plastic (and some carbon fiber). Known as the "Carbon fiber PV", since what they did was take a PV444, strip the unibody bare, measure it, and then remake it completely from CRP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyDgepdRDY

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

General_Failure posted:

There actually is fairly transparent aluminium, it's just stupid expensive and I think kind of cloudy at best. I have no idea of its strength though.
IIRC, they actually use this for the windows on the (US) presidential limo. I have no idea where I heard this or how valid it is, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VanNuys posted:

yeah, we had an acrylic (or something similar) SBC 350 in my advance auto shop class in HS. I'm saying it would be badass if they had the structural integrity to work and hold boost. It would make some repairs easier. You could check the plugs without even removing them!
No, I mean running engines with transparent sections so you can view the combustion, not static displays.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Krakkles posted:

IIRC, they actually use this for the windows on the (US) presidential limo. I have no idea where I heard this or how valid it is, though.

no, they use a laminate structure. It has the rather cool property that it is one-way bulletproof. It'll stop a light anti-tank weapon from the outside, but from the inside you can shoot through it with a standard pistol and it won't even deflect the bullet flight, meaning those SS guys are going to shoot back and they are going to hit, while you can't target them.

A big homogenous block of something won't have that party trick

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Captain Postal posted:

It'll stop a light anti-tank weapon from the outside, but from the inside you can shoot through it with a standard pistol and it won't even deflect the bullet flight, meaning those SS guys are going to shoot back and they are going to hit, while you can't target them.

This is also a very good way to deafen the President.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

I'd think getting hit point blank with a light anti-tank weapon would be pretty loud, even with the windows up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

General_Failure posted:

There actually is fairly transparent aluminium, it's just stupid expensive and I think kind of cloudy at best. I have no idea of its strength though.

Sapphire is aluminium oxide and can be completely clear with the right composition. It is in fact used in armored windows, watches and so on.

Gorilla Glass is similar in that it also contains aluminum, but it's more of a mix of ordinary glass and sapphire.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Sapphire is aluminium oxide and can be completely clear with the right composition. It is in fact used in armored windows, watches and so on.

Gorilla Glass is similar in that it also contains aluminum, but it's more of a mix of ordinary glass and sapphire.

Today I learned what sapphire is composed of. Now that's interesting.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gorilla glass is glass submersed in molten potassium salts. The lighter sodium ions exchange out for heavier/bigger potassium ions. When the glass cools and contracts, this "presses" the surface together, making it tough. Think of it like stretching a nylon net open and then placing it on a bed of grass, then contracting it. The grass gets "stuck" in the holes, making the net (comparatively) tougher. This compression in (usually just) the surface of the glass compared to the comparative lack of compression more atoms deeper is also why gorilla glass (or any toughened glass, really) fails so spectacularly when it eventually does. It's under constant compressive tension.

Sapphire is still better, though. It is about eight times harder than normal borosilicate glass, and four times harder than quartz glass.

Before I threw my life away and joined the NG I was an optician, and glass and plastics continue to be a hobby.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 26, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So it's basically like prestressed concrete, a material that's notably lovely strength wise in anything except compression, engineered to always be under compression unless the stress gets high enough to overcome the preloading/prestressing? Neat, I always wondered how they made tough glass.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Better deafened than deadened.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Geirskogul posted:

Gorilla glass is glass submersed in molten potassium salts. The lighter sodium ions exchange out for heavier/bigger potassium ions. When the glass cools and contracts, this "presses" the surface together, making it tough. Think of it like stretching a nylon net open and then placing it on a bed of grass, then contracting it. The grass gets "stuck" in the holes, making the net (comparatively) tougher. This compression in (usually just) the surface of the glass compared to the comparative lack of compression more atoms deeper is also why gorilla glass (or any toughened glass, really) fails so spectacularly when it eventually does. It's under constant compressive tension.

Sapphire is still better, though. It is about eight times harder than normal borosilicate glass, and four times harder than quartz glass.

Before I threw my life away and joined the NG I was an optician, and glass and plastics continue to be a hobby.

Part of that effect is demonstrated in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-f4gokRBs

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wrong loving thread.

Every scumbag "rollin' coal" should be fed feet-first into a slow-turning meat grinder and the videos posted to Youtube under the title "don't be a loving douchebag".

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Unless there's a backstory to this involving a sanctimonious Prius owner going out of their way to lecture the diesel driver on how they're polluting the environment and making Mother Nature cry, this isn't awesome. It's just a dick move from some bro who thinks driving around town with his new smoke chip dumping smoke on all the "gay cars" is cool. :w00t:

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

KozmoNaut posted:

Wrong loving thread.

Every scumbag "rollin' coal" should be fed feet-first into a slow-turning meat grinder and the videos posted to Youtube under the title "don't be a loving douchebag".

Reminds me of this video. All my brahs from facebook were reposting saying it was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E52OGAp1sxE

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I couldn't agree more, eco weenies who think all cars are evil and everyone should ride bikes or drive priuses and dumbass diesel bros who run stacks and smoke chips are both a bunch of annoying shitbags. The best that picture can be is... jerks being jerks to jerks.

e: why is there no license plate on the prius?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
But Prius's are such terrible cars... Oh well. :smith:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Transparent aluminum exists in two forms right now.

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/01/17/transparent-aluminum/
This is a form made from aluminum ceramic powder that is completely clear, can be made into sheets or any form, and can stop bullets.

This one was just invented last year, and is made of actual aluminum foil, though it's impractical and expansive for any practical use yet.
http://gajitz.com/science-you-so-crazy-transparent-aluminum-made-in-lab/

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Preoptopus posted:

Priuses are indeed terrible, but mostly from an environmental standpoint. I can't speak to their mechanical reliability.

Their excessive reliance on rare earth metals mined and refined in a very non-earth-friendly way is hilarious when combined with the blissful ignorance of people who drive Priuses to be "green".

:smug: "I'm saving the environment by using less gas!"

And devastating local ecosystems in some other remote part of the planet that you don't care about aside from a yearly PBS special. :smugissar:

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho
No pictures but I just ran into a white Ferrari 599 wagon of some sort (plate was FF1) out and about and followed him til' he PUNCHED IT at a stop sign and it was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

yyyyyy posted:

No pictures but I just ran into a white Ferrari 599 wagon of some sort (plate was FF1) out and about and followed him til' he PUNCHED IT at a stop sign and it was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

Are you on about a FF?

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Are you on about a FF?

oh hey I didn't know those exist! Yeah it was one of those, I just saw it from the back and I thought it was a 599. Still the guy pulled 3 gears wide open throttle from the stop sign (in a 25mph) it was boss as hell

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Cenodoxus posted:

Priuses are indeed terrible, but mostly from an environmental standpoint. I can't speak to their mechanical reliability.

Their excessive reliance on rare earth metals mined and refined in a very non-earth-friendly way is hilarious when combined with the blissful ignorance of people who drive Priuses to be "green".

:smug: "I'm saving the environment by using less gas!"

And devastating local ecosystems in some other remote part of the planet that you don't care about aside from a yearly PBS special. :smugissar:

This whole "nickel stripmine" meme is bullshit, FYI. Try to make it down to post #3:
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=8560

Here's a dude drag racing his Prius in the 11's...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNKiNlZikZc&t=38s
... course it looks like an 1/8th mile track.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Stardotstar posted:

This whole "nickel stripmine" meme is bullshit, FYI. Try to make it down to post #3:
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=8560

I'm not talking about the nickel bullshit, I'm talking about Lanthanum.

Stardotstar posted:

Here's a dude drag racing his Prius in the 11's...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNKiNlZikZc&t=38s
... course it looks like an 1/8th mile track.
One thing's for sure - they're not built for speed. :laugh:

Did they have him spin the tires before he lined up? I'd love to see a Prius burnout. :v:

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 26, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

yyyyyy posted:

oh hey I didn't know those exist! Yeah it was one of those, I just saw it from the back and I thought it was a 599. Still the guy pulled 3 gears wide open throttle from the stop sign (in a 25mph) it was boss as hell

Yeah, I saw an FF crack it open in a tight road downtown a few days ago. It sounded incredible.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

They're actually not terrible cars, they just aren't very A.I. But neither is that truck. It's more like Helldump.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stardotstar posted:

This whole "nickel stripmine" meme is bullshit, FYI.

He's not talking about Canada.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/aug/07/china-rare-earth-village-pollution

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
A guy that my girlfriend walks dogs for is a BMW mechanic:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I can't seem to find it, but isn't there a hilarious video of some stupid bro getting his rear end kicked for doing this?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

no, they use a laminate structure. It has the rather cool property that it is one-way bulletproof. It'll stop a light anti-tank weapon from the outside, but from the inside you can shoot through it with a standard pistol and it won't even deflect the bullet flight, meaning those SS guys are going to shoot back and they are going to hit, while you can't target them.

A big homogenous block of something won't have that party trick
While that technology exists, everything I've read about the presidential limo says that they do NOT use that. It seems to be built with a philosphy of "run away" rather than anything else - the only window that even rolls down is the driver's window, the rest are all fixed in place, and from most reports, several inches thick. The laminates you're talking about are not nearly so thick.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5HM3y8d0NA

Edit2: And, actually, on reviewing the video, they're building it at least 3 inches thick, and I'd imagine more in some cases. Still, the video definitely gives the impression that there's a limit to the number of hits those windows will take, and I don't think they'd risk the president like that - better to keep him safe, and allow backup to reach him. What's the furthest away from intense military power the US president will ever be, right?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 26, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

davebo posted:

They're actually not terrible cars, they just aren't very A.I. But neither is that truck. It's more like Helldump.

No, they are terrible cars. They arent even that good as a runaround, which is exactly what they are built for. A lovely Suzuki Swift of all things shows how a runabout should be done and that's still not exactly a good car. But it's a drat good little runabout.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cat Terrist posted:

No, they are terrible cars. They arent even that good as a runaround, which is exactly what they are built for. A lovely Suzuki Swift of all things shows how a runabout should be done and that's still not exactly a good car. But it's a drat good little runabout.

On top of which, the fuel consumption is easily beaten by the likes of basically any diesel hatchback. They also aren't very pleasant to work on, however they are quite reliable.

They're built to fill an artificial market niche, they don't actually do anything particularly well.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Cat Terrist posted:

Why would you think that a large four door family car was built as a run around?

A Suzuki swift won't fit five adults plus luggage.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Slavvy posted:

On top of which, the fuel consumption is easily beaten by the likes of basically any diesel hatchback. They also aren't very pleasant to work on, however they are quite reliable.

They're built to fill an artificial market niche, they don't actually do anything particularly well.

In the US you would be hard pressed to find a diesel hatchback that matches fuel economy, space, and price of a Prius.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

angryhampster posted:

In the US you would be hard pressed to find a diesel hatchback that matches fuel economy, space, and price of a Prius.

Golf TDI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
Hmmm.