Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe it's too obvious but Vetinari could just legitimize the Trollish Mafia by making them tax collectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Maybe it's too obvious but Vetinari could just legitimize the Trollish Mafia by making them tax collectors.
Isn't this basically what Winder did back in Night Watch, minus the "trollish" bit?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

Isn't this basically what Winder did back in Night Watch, minus the "trollish" bit?

Fair point, but the image of trolls as IRS Agents is too funny in my head to ignore.

"I got audited. I were in the hospital for weeks."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Somehow I don't see Chrysoprase giving up his lucrative endeavours for a government job.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

thebardyspoon posted:

Jackrum wasn't a cockney possibly overly familiar butler, [...]

You may want to spoiler or reformulate that, for those who haven't read the book yet.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Entropic posted:

Somehow I don't see Chrysoprase giving up his lucrative endeavours for a government job.

Then again look at how much the IRL mafia has grafted from gov contracts

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Entropic posted:

The problem with being in organized crime is that not everyone is a criminal, so not everyone is a customer. But everyone pays taxes (or they're a criminal.) The Breccia already has the necessary skillset.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

You may want to spoiler or reformulate that, for those who haven't read the book yet.

Are we really spoilering books that were released in 2003?

In case we are, the title of the book gives the entire "twist" away anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AlphaDog posted:

Are we really spoilering books that were released in 2003?

In case we are, the title of the book gives the entire "twist" away anyway.

If you're a 16th century history buff, maybe. Most people would read it as refering to the vampire, the Igor and the troll in the unit.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I changed it anyway, I figured we were pretty liberal with end of book stuff in general but it took me like half a second and might not ruin the book for someone so it's no big deal.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Oh man Reaper Man / Moving Pictures / Witches Abroad is a rough sequence of books to get through. Up next is Small Gods and I seem to remember reading that as a kid and liking it, so hopefully that isn't just rose coloured glasses. Pyramids is one of my favourites so far so maybe I just like the standalone books the most.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Small Gods is widely considered to be the best of all the stand-alone books and in the top 5 overall.

I don't know what your problem with RM/MP/WA was, as the first and the last are really good. Also, Moving Pictures wasn't published between them so you've mixed up your order a little there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've always thought that if any of Pratchett's books enter the "canon", it'll be Small Gods.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

stratdax posted:

Oh man Reaper Man / Moving Pictures / Witches Abroad is a rough sequence of books to get through. Up next is Small Gods and I seem to remember reading that as a kid and liking it, so hopefully that isn't just rose coloured glasses. Pyramids is one of my favourites so far so maybe I just like the standalone books the most.

Pratchett is at his worst when doing blatant parody. When he does it subtly, it's far, far, more intelligent and satisfying for the reader.

Literally making movie and country stereotype references is only funny if you like the references. Otherwise it's a slog.

That being said, Reaper Man, for all its flaws, is actually a pretty important book to the Discworld canon.

It sets up:

-The "rules" of the undead population which become pretty important in later books.
-The Amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents.
-The Dark Morris dance
-The auditors

Those lead to 4 different, better books, down the line.

If it just didn't have the Parasite Shopping Mall concept, it'd be a drat fine book.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Reaper Man is great, and easily my favorite Death book.
Everything is fine up until the drat mall.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

stratdax posted:

I will always love Witches Abroad for being the book that got me hooked on Pratchett. Before that, I had heard of the Discworld series but dismissed it as yet another series of extruded fantasy product; I was delighted to discover how wrong that was.

Also, this book has my all-time favorite footnote.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

VanSandman posted:

Reaper Man is great, and easily my favorite Death book.
Everything is fine up until the drat mall.

In hindsight, the mall really does come out of left field.

But everything about Death's life as Bill Door justifies reading the book.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Jedit posted:

Small Gods is widely considered to be the best of all the stand-alone books and in the top 5 overall.

I don't know what your problem with RM/MP/WA was, as the first and the last are really good. Also, Moving Pictures wasn't published between them so you've mixed up your order a little there.

Yeah you're right, I mixed up the order when I posted. I read Moving Pictures first. Which I hope we all agree was pretty terrible?

Mister Roboto posted:

-The Dark Morris dance
-The auditors

If it just didn't have the Parasite Shopping Mall concept, it'd be a drat fine book.

I don't remember what the Dark Morris dance is. Could you remind me?

I didn't like the auditors, Azrael, or basically anything about we learned how death works in Discworld. I guess I just don't like the concept rather than the execution (except for the mall, that was executed poorly as well).

Witches Abroad: Watch three ladies bumble their way around France and Italy. I was misleading when I posted, I haven't finished yet so maybe I will like it later, but so far all I can think of is "yes I get it move on please". A tyrannical overlord who forces people to live in a storybook way is a pretty super-villain thing to do though, so that's good. Sounds like something the Joker would do.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic. I guess the great thing about Discworld is you can just skip whatever storylines you don't like!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

stratdax posted:

I don't remember what the Dark Morris dance is. Could you remind me?

It's only mentioned in Reaper Man; it plays a bigger role in Wintersmith way later.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

stratdax posted:

Yeah you're right, I mixed up the order when I posted. I read Moving Pictures first. Which I hope we all agree was pretty terrible?

I quite like MP for all the movie in-jokes. The more you know about the studio system and cinema in general, the more there is to see. It also introduces a large number of recurring characters including most of the UU Faculty.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I share the same thoughts about Moving Pictures. He might not be able to do the parody stuff well but we get some pretty amusing characters and concepts from them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The last third of Witches Abroad justifies the entire rest of the book. It definitely starts slowly, but it ends strong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jedit posted:

I quite like MP for all the movie in-jokes. The more you know about the studio system and cinema in general, the more there is to see. It also introduces a large number of recurring characters including most of the UU Faculty.

Not to mention Gaspode the Wonder Dog! That alone makes Moving Pictures worthwhile.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Entropic posted:

Not to mention Gaspode the Wonder Dog! That alone makes Moving Pictures worthwhile.

That is the only worthwhile thing in the book, yes.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I personally like Moving Pictures but can't stand Pyramids.

I mean how can you hate the book that introduced Archchancellor Ridcully as well as Gaspode? "He looks like my uncle Osric" or C.M.O.T. Dibbler wheeling and dealing, reaching the heights of success only for it all to be torn away before he got his thousand elephants. There's a lot of good stuff in there, just bogged down a bit by the Dungeon Dimensions plot.

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 25, 2013

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

I know I'm a sap but drat...

quote:

What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man?

Gets me emotional every time. Not to mention everything else about Bill Door and Miss Flitworth. I just pretend the mall plot doesn't exist.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

I personally like Moving Pictures but can't stand Pyramids.

I mean how can you hate the book that introduced Archchancellor Ridcully as well as Gaspode? "He looks like my uncle Osric" or C.M.O.T. Dibbler wheeling and dealing, reaching the heights of success only for it all to be torn away before he got his thousand elephants. There's a lot of good stuff in there, just bogged down a bit by the Dungeon Dimensions plot.

It seems like Things Encroaching From The Dungeon Dimensions was the plot of half the early books, but hasn't come up in ages. The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Equal Rites, Moving Pictures, I'm probably missing a couple..

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Entropic posted:

It seems like Things Encroaching From The Dungeon Dimensions was the plot of half the early books, but hasn't come up in ages. The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Equal Rites, Moving Pictures, I'm probably missing a couple..

The Dungeon Dimension was the plot of the last game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That reminds me, I need to play Discworld Noir all over again. For the twentieth time.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
P-people don't like the evil shopping mall plot?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Justin_Brett posted:

P-people don't like the evil shopping mall plot?

I don't remember disliking Moving Pictures in the slightest bit when it was released, but I haven't felt compelled to re-read it either. I do seem to recall the Wizards were funny in the shopping mall bit though.

The only Disc book I remember disliking immediately was The Last Continent. I guess I'm just really indulgent of Terry's writing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought The Last Continent was terrible. Just a series of "Australia, amirite?" jokes.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
I found myself struggling through the Last Continent - just couldn't get into it.

I always skip through the Windle Poons sections of Reaper Man on rereads, just to focus on the Death parts. I was more interested in seeing how Death coped with life, rather than how Poons copes with undeath.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 26, 2013

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The only books I find unbearable are his very earliest and his very latest. Everything in between is pretty much gold. I love Monstrous Regiment even though everyone trashes it for some reason.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought The Last Continent was terrible. Just a series of "Australia, amirite?" jokes.

This is the synopsis of basically every book or movie written about Australia.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

AXE COP posted:

Everything in between is pretty much gold. I love Monstrous Regiment even though everyone trashes it for some reason.

Wow, really? That surprises me. I've never heard anyone talk about Monstrous Regiment in anything but glowing terms. (I love it too.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

effervescible posted:

Wow, really? That surprises me. I've never heard anyone talk about Monstrous Regiment in anything but glowing terms. (I love it too.)

I didn't love it, but I thought it was pretty good. It's middle of the road for Discworld, which puts it pretty high in my list of good books that I will read again.

I recall a lot of people saying it was crap in the months after it came out, and for that reason I never picked up the hardcover, which I've been doing with Disc books since 1999 or so. I regret that now, because it's a pretty neat story.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I miss all the silly dog latin jokes from the early books. Like the Watch's motto -- which Sgt. Colon helpfully translates as "To Protect And Serve" -- being "FABRICATI DIEM PVNC".

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
For some reason I never got around to reading Night Watch. I am listening to the Stephen Briggs narration now and It may be my favourite in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
You are in for a hugely enjoyable experience. Night Watch is amazing. Absolutely my favorite.