Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

I know how it feels, every time I buy a record from the store it looks perfect and then I notice some sort of minute damage which irritates the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Recently I was starting to worry that obsession with sound quality issues in regards to new records was over the top and getting in the way of me actually enjoying the music itself.

I just want to thank you guys for showing me how much worse it could be.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yikes so why does the new MBV album cost like 45 bucks?

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yikes so why does the new MBV album cost like 45 bucks?

Same reason the new Daft Punk is $40. People will pay it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Ugh, look at this joker. I hate people who do buy it now listings on OOP poo poo I want. Start it at a reasonable price and let the market demand decide the price :(

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121086412445&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

are you implying $555 is unreasonable?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

Ugh, look at this joker. I hate people who do buy it now listings on OOP poo poo I want. Start it at a reasonable price and let the market demand decide the price :(

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121086412445&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

As much as I hate the bullshit that goes on with ebay price gouging and records, this is actually a special item. Considering that there are only five known to exist and they all belonged to band members this isn't just another case of people trying to create an instant collectable.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

As much as I hate the bullshit that goes on with ebay price gouging and records, this is actually a special item. Considering that there are only five known to exist and they all belonged to band members this isn't just another case of people trying to create an instant collectable.

Yeah but consider that the last copy that went up for auction did so at a reasonable price and only sold for $50. Demanding $550+ for it is horse poo poo.

I would pay good money for a copy but that is insanity.

edit: what a surprise, it's the same copy that sold last year. For $50. Flippers man :(

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 26, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

Yeah but consider that the last copy that went up for auction did so at a reasonable price and only sold for $50. Demanding $550+ for it is horse poo poo.

I would pay good money for a copy but that is insanity.

edit: what a surprise, it's the same copy that sold last year. For $50. Flippers man :(

Oh, well in that case gently caress that guy. Although if no one buys this that's pretty much the market dictating price right there.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Oh, well in that case gently caress that guy. Although if no one buys this that's pretty much the market dictating price right there.

The shittiest thing about it is that it's the only copy in circulation (and might well be the only one ever to be in circulation), so this guy pretty much gets to dictate the price (even if no one ever buys it).

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 26, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If that was my favourite band I think I'd be happy to pay that price for it considering the circumstances.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

If that was my favourite band I think I'd be happy to pay that price for it considering the circumstances.

Which I agree with, but I also wouldn't be able to afford that and neither would most people.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I would definitely pay in the 3 figures for it but I could never justify spending $600 on it. Maybe if I was making a good living off a career I guess, but at the moment I am just working casual while I take a break from uni and have a holiday to save for.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't be able to either. I can't really justify spending more than $30 on a record at most or maybe up to $50 for something I really really want (Like limited/fancy/coloured of records of the bands in my top 10).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I've spent a bunch of money on my Porcupine Tree records because they're my favourite and a lot of their releases are rare and very in demand. I think I've spent close to $2000 on 22 of their records.

This Will Destroy You are in my top 5, but yeah. $600 is dumb.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just glad most of my favourite bands are not very popular! I'm going to pick up one of my favourite bands back catalogue soon and it's going to cost me $109 including postage, pretty stoked about that. That's not including 7''s and Splits though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I hesitate when a record I really want is $30. My god. 550 dollars for a 7" :stare:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I just paid 55 bucks for a sealed copy of Zero 7 - The Garden for purely nostalgic reasons, even though a copy has never been sold on eBay for more than 30 or 40 bucks.

Totally worth it.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 26, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I haven't spent money on records in awhile and I decided to see if RSD was bringing anything I really want and I noticed a Brubeck 10" that I wouldn't mind owning and it shouldn't be hard to get (unless it's very hipster to be into recently dead jazz musicians), but then I noticed that Zaireeka is being released on vinyl. :psyduck:

I know the idea of playing 4 CDs at once was already kinda ridiculous but 4 LPs? I'm kinda conflicted with buying it as I know I'll never ever play all 4 records at the same time.

Oh, and I better line up early outside my record store so I can get that sweet Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory LP :jerkbag:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd buy Reanimation if they released that.

birmingha
Nov 8, 2010
Does anyone know where I can find some weird/noise/experimental records in London?

So far I think Kristina Records and Cafe Oto are worth checking out. Second Layer was another good one, but it closed down a while ago.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Two things you should never, ever do on the internet :

1) Self diagnose illness.
2) Look at RSD releases for a different region.
:negative:

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"
I'm a fledgling vinyl collector, I currently only own about 10 records on vinyl. Thanks to my local record store being awesome, I managed to find Mastodon's Crack the Skye, The Hunter limited 2x LP editon, and an unsold copy of Live at the Aragon from RSD 2011 for like $100 total. I also have Between the Buried and Me's The Parallax II: Future Sequence and just a couple weeks ago got these amazing finds:

Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American deluxe 3x LP edition:

Spitalfield's Better Than Knowing Where You Are:

I'm also expecting to get Saosin's self titled in the next few days. It was just recently pressed for the first time and it's one of my favorites.

Firecube fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 27, 2013

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Firecube posted:

I'm a fledgling vinyl collector, I currently only earn about 10 records on vinyl. Thanks to my local record store being awesome, I managed to find Mastodon's Crack the Skye, The Hunter limited 2x LP editon, and an unsold copy of Live at the Aragon from RSD 2011 for like $100 total. I also have Between the Buried and Me's The Parallax II: Future Sequence and just a couple weeks ago got these amazing finds:

Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American deluxe 3x LP edition:

Spitalfield's Better Than Knowing Where You Are:

I'm also expecting to get Saosin's self titled in the next few days. It was just recently pressed for the first time and it's one of my favorites.

I really want the Saosin vinyl, such an awesome record. I could never get into that Spitalfield record, though.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do you guys use those carbon fibre brushes on your records? I have been using one and I thought it was pretty good at getting rid of the dust, but I was using it yesterday on a completely white record and saw that the motherfucker was shedding bristles all over it. Never again. I'd rather the dust.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

realbez posted:

Do you guys use those carbon fibre brushes on your records? I have been using one and I thought it was pretty good at getting rid of the dust, but I was using it yesterday on a completely white record and saw that the motherfucker was shedding bristles all over it. Never again. I'd rather the dust.

Maybe you just have a lovely brush. Also, if I had to guess I'd say those bristles floating around are going to be less damaging than dust because they won't get embedded into the grooves of records and they won't funk up your stylus.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I did have a lovely brush, and I'm willing to bet a lot of them are lovely if a quick google search is anything to go by. The fibres were sticking with the grain of the record too and were pretty hard to get out. Whereas dust just comes off with a cloth.

Anyway, I'm just saying if you use one and can test it on a bright or white record I'd do it to see if it sheds.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

realbez posted:

Anyway, I'm just saying if you use one and can test it on a bright or white record I'd do it to see if it sheds.

A common problem when using the I.N.R.I. method of record playing.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Not if you shave his paws first.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

My copy of Sports finally arrived with minimal damage which is awesome since the last record I ordered online had its corners all bent to poo poo. Two of the corners of the sleeve are slightly dinged but it's hardly noticeable.

Ndsfreak
May 22, 2009
A while back, I bought a very well kept record of "The Anti-Heroin Project - It's a Live in World" at a garage sale. It has a number of autographs in it, one of which appears to be Elvis Costello's. A lot of the signatures aren't easily legible, some, I have no idea whom the artist is. If anyone could shed some light about this album, that'd be really cool!

Sorry about the large images.

http://i.imgur.com/z8WNq.jpg
The front.
http://i.imgur.com/mb9fy.jpg
The back.
http://i.imgur.com/XapCQ.jpg
What appears to be Elvis Costello's autograph.

Other pictures:
http://imgur.com/Tkoky, http://imgur.com/VevKZ, http://imgur.com/J06M7, http://imgur.com/cMPLV, http://imgur.com/k5BEL, http://imgur.com/SS0fa, http://imgur.com/ihXBT

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

realbez posted:

Yup, but it's a vintage Decca brush I found inside one of my turntables. Works fine, never sheds even on white records. Might be a dud?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I Might Be Adam posted:

I know the idea of playing 4 CDs at once was already kinda ridiculous but 4 LPs? I'm kinda conflicted with buying it as I know I'll never ever play all 4 records at the same time.

A lot of households do have four record players though, and a mixer that you can listen to all of them at once through. Just murder a suitable DJ/DJ wannabe, wear their skin, and assume their life.

(Who the hell has four CD players though?)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

A lot of households do have four record players though, and a mixer that you can listen to all of them at once through. Just murder a suitable DJ/DJ wannabe, wear their skin, and assume their life.

(Who the hell has four CD players though?)

Wouldn't mixing that into one set of speakers defeat the purpose?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Wouldn't mixing that into one set of speakers defeat the purpose?

I don't know, I don't have the album. Is the purpose to listen to it through 8 speakers at once or just to listen to it all at once?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know, I don't have the album. Is the purpose to listen to it through 8 speakers at once or just to listen to it all at once?

I think part of their intended listening experience is that when you listen to it, the cd players will never play in sync from beginning to end and will slip in and out of phase so that it becomes a "new song" every time. I only did it once and it was pretty cool, but a pain in the rear end to setup.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I think the idea that the sources will be of different quality plays into it too, a big sound system, a music centre and a couple of boom boxes.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've attempted to listen to Zaireeka a few times and yeah, part of the idea is that it isn't in sync and the whole thing is more than a little off.
It's hard enough to wrangle 4 CD players together at once that I can't imagine what it would be like with four records.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cloks posted:

I've attempted to listen to Zaireeka a few times and yeah, part of the idea is that it isn't in sync and the whole thing is more than a little off.
It's hard enough to wrangle 4 CD players together at once that I can't imagine what it would be like with four records.

Queue them up and use remote start. They'll still probably be out of sync enough to enjoy the experience to the loving maxx because you can't queue a record perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's not *supposed to* sync up perfectly. It's supposed to be different every time you hear it.

Buying it on vinyl is pokemon collector bullshit.