Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

The Rus were Northmen (mainly Swedes) who went East in to Russia via the Volga and founded a kingdom. "Rus" is believed to come from the Norse word to row. They ruled over the native Slavs and were eventually culturally and linguistically assimilated.

The Rus kingdom was one of several (lovely) reasons the Germans used to justify their race war on the Eastern Front in WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslagen
Roslagen is still today the name of the area to the immediate north of Stockholm, including the archipelago. Further to the west (a few hours by ship) is where the trading town Birka was located. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birka

Lord Tywin posted:

Yep, a lot of Viking traders agreed to be baptized whenever they entered a Christian town since they usually got some nice poo poo for it and it made trading easier, I don't know if they converted to Islam as well for easier trading but I doubt it since I can't imagine that they would be cool with the whole circumcision thing.

Converting to christianity didn't make trading easier, non-christans were banned from trading entirely. (AFAIK there was no rule regarding islamic conversion in Miklagrd/Constantinople.)

The Kievan Rus (around where the Ukraine is today) actually auditioned religions, among them islam. Some sources say the Rus been invited by the locals as a ruling class, sort of like management consultants. Anyway, the Rus had to consolidate their power in the region, and thus needed one common religion. I guess it is hard to motivate your loyal subjects when there are ten different shamanistic religions with wildly differing views on what happens after death etc. So they invited different priests to tell them about the advantages and disadvantages of their religions. Islam lost out on the whole "no pigs and booze"-rule.

It was also the Rus who had the communal snotbucket that ibn Fadlan was so revolted by. I believe he may have exaggerrated a bit there, but the islamic sources are still miles ahead of the christian when it comes to describing the Norse cultures accurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

According to the sources, they didn't like Islam because they didn't want to give up alcohol and pork, they didn't like Judaism because they thought that their god had clearly forsaken them, and they didn't like the Catholic rite because Latin Mass was too stuffy and boring. They also wanted to maintain good relations with Constantinople due to the massive trade they did through the Black Sea.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kampfbereit posted:

It was also the Rus who had the communal snotbucket that ibn Fadlan was so revolted by. I believe he may have exaggerrated a bit there, but the islamic sources are still miles ahead of the christian when it comes to describing the Norse cultures accurately.

Yeah the primary accounts from Ibm Fadlan are very interesting to sider since they provide a outside perspective on the culture but due to being a outsider he picked up lots of interesting information on things such as contrasting the burial rites between cultures.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
For those wondering about Rollo's battle verse this video has it.

"Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean's spray
And your death is on its way
With maidens you have had your way
Each must die some day!"

Like a lot of people here I had low expectations but am pretty well hooked now. It's not the greatest thing ever but plenty of :black101: which is just fine and entertaining in its own right. Pagan Europe makes for some fascinating history.

Would liked to have seen better use of Gabriel Byrne though. Maybe as a rival, more grizzled captain competing with Ragnar for plunder and glory in the west instead of his current evil overlord character.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Luigi Thirty posted:

According to the sources, they didn't like Islam because they didn't want to give up alcohol and pork, they didn't like Judaism because they thought that their god had clearly forsaken them, and they didn't like the Catholic rite because Latin Mass was too stuffy and boring. They also wanted to maintain good relations with Constantinople due to the massive trade they did through the Black Sea.

According to the meticulous religious scholarship of 13th Warrior, they could have happily guzzled mead and still been all good with Islam. No work around for the Pork though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

For anyone wondering, only the first 4 episodes of the show were being shown a week early. Now you'll have to wait until the actual night it airs to see it.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, my vast anecdotal experience with Muslims indicates that you can convert em to pork eaters easily enough.

By vast, I mean my one Muslim friend who has lived in the US for like 10 years.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Bacon and eggs is a hell of a drug

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
I am loving this show but finding the Skald to be a little too "300" for my tastes.

Also, Someone earlier posted about Bernard Cornwell's "Saxon Shore" series. Lords of the North is the first book. I strongly suggest picking it up. It owns bones.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
E: I have that book on my iPad and I didn't even know it had anything to do with this type of stuff. ^^^^

The sad part is, what finally convinced him to try it out was those boneless spareribs you get from Chinese food places. The booze might have helped though.

It was really, really funny watching him order lunches the next couple of weeks after that. I think everything had bacon on it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Deadpool posted:

For anyone wondering, only the first 4 episodes of the show were being shown a week early. Now you'll have to wait until the actual night it airs to see it.

gently caress, and I've been looking forward all day to it getting online. A whole week more :cry:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Admiral Goodenough posted:

gently caress, and I've been looking forward all day to it getting online. A whole week more :cry:

Dangit. Will it still be on Youtube when it's the right week? Cuz I still don't have HD for this channel, and Hulu actually manages to look pretty darn good when it's working well.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oh that sucks. I've found myself looking forward to this show every week! I should probably rewatch E3 and E4 anyway before E5 comes out, my memory sucks for TV shows.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
720p ftw.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Mucktron posted:

But also agreeing that Jarl is just an awful character. He's lacking the believably of say.. Spartacus's Batiatus who did horrible things, but was so well written that you understood his logic behind his most awful of choices, and yet Jarl's "evilness" feels incredibly by-the-numbers

pigdog posted:

I agree completely, "by-the-numbers" is exactly how Jarl's character is written. However, I couldn't compare it to Sparatacus' Batiatus, who was more like an anti-hero of the show (particularly Gods of the Arena) rather than a villain.

If anyone in this show was to be compared to Batiatus, it would probably have to be Ragnar himself. He's a man with ambition who is looking to move up in the world, and he's working within a moral realm that fits his era but is out-of-bounds for ours. So while we definitely view him as the protagonist of the show and want him to succeed, he does do some things that should really make us feel uncomfortable.

Deadpool posted:

This is great news for us television-watching spoiler-hating plebians.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

The Trial was a real good episode. Having to wait two weeks for the next is torturous. :smith:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Serendipitously I had just finished the Hardcore History podcast episode Thor's Angels right before discovering this show. The show is good, the podcast is awesome, I highly recommend it if you want to get some more Migration Period history (focusing more on continental events, however).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:eng101: Yay Learning!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Rocksicles posted:

:eng101: Yay Learning!

This is why I'm okay with the show being on History, even if it's a little loose with the actual facts.

It makes me go look up the real facts.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a research nut. borderline sperg i dare say, i can't watch something that interests me and not research it. Sometimes for weeks.

My woman calls me a retard for not going to university with her, but building pays the bills.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Family Values posted:

Serendipitously I had just finished the Hardcore History podcast episode Thor's Angels right before discovering this show. The show is good, the podcast is awesome, I highly recommend it if you want to get some more Migration Period history (focusing more on continental events, however).

i just finsihed the Thors Angels podcast, loving amazing. The guy obviously love this poo poo.

How do you get the to the earlier podcasts?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

i just finsihed the Thors Angels podcast, loving amazing. The guy obviously love this poo poo.

How do you get the to the earlier podcasts?

Yeah it's a pretty awesome look at Western European and how things slowly came together after the collapse of the western half of the roman empire.

Plus a great look at the wide variety of assholes from the dark ages such as the vikings and magyars.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Did nobody watch Vikings tonight, or did Game of Thrones distract everyone? I haven't yet but I'm about to fire it up. Was just surprised no one bumped the thread. Let this be a reminder.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BlazinLow305 posted:

Did nobody watch Vikings tonight, or did Game of Thrones distract everyone? I haven't yet but I'm about to fire it up. Was just surprised no one bumped the thread. Let this be a reminder.

I did. The plot moved forward in a hella :tviv: way (though you probably saw at least some of it coming from the previews last week).

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

GOT + Vikings + Borgias + Mad Men + Veep is going to be some solid Sunday night TV. Is it 2005 again?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Tonight's episode was fantastic. Best one thus far. I love that they're accelerating the conflict with the Earl, because the character remains annoying and the quicker they kill him off/depose him/whatever, the better.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Anybody know when episode 5 will be online..?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I only saw the preview for episode 5 but jesus christ, now I can't wait to see it. This is going to be a fantastic episode :stare:

vvv haha, perfect.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 1, 2013

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I like this show but it's hard to explain to discriminating Downton-Abbey-loving friends why it's fun to watch. So when they ask what it's like, I say, "Oh it's kinda like a low-budget Game of Thrones and a little like The Tutors and close to Spartacus with a Sons of Anarchy vibe except that..." and then I just yell at them for two solid minutes with my face an inch away from theirs, spattering them with scream-spittle.

Also I made this dumb thing that sounded way funnier when I was drunk and watching the show a few days ago:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Assuming the last episode is 5, I wasn't too impressed. More cartoonishly evil Jarl doing really mean things. Next episode hopefully wraps this poo poo with his character up.

I'm much more interested in Vikings in western Europe than drama at home.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

The new episode is up on history.com. I just finished it and it's looking like they're going to wrap up the Earl plot soon. I'm pretty stoked for Ragnar King of the Vikings.

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
The show has been suprisingly good so far but am I the only one who is more annoyed by people compaining about the Jarl than by the Jarl himself?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I don't mind the Jarl. He's not the best character but I understand why they have him in the show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Noni posted:

I like this show but it's hard to explain to discriminating Downton-Abbey-loving friends why it's fun to watch. So when they ask what it's like, I say, "Oh it's kinda like a low-budget Game of Thrones and a little like The Tutors and close to Spartacus with a Sons of Anarchy vibe except that..." and then I just yell at them for two solid minutes with my face an inch away from theirs, spattering them with scream-spittle.

Yeah it sort of hits the spot if you couldn't get enough of people chasing each other around with axes after watching both Spartacus and Game of Thrones.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I'm watching the show online right now and, jeeeeeeeze, I hate that little fat balding dude that the Jarl has for a crony.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I'd be surprised if they wrote out the Earl/Byrne so (relatively) soon but certainly wouldn't complain if they did. The home intrigues do serve a story purpose but raiding and invading is what brings people back and stirs the interest in Norse history.

Also the whole Rollo/Siggy struck me as way too convenient and out of nowhere.

And nominating this as the new theme song. :black101:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

nutranurse posted:

I'm watching the show online right now and, jeeeeeeeze, I hate that little fat balding dude that the Jarl has for a crony.

Me too. Every time I look at him all I can think is "Viking Zach Galiafinakis"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This show continues to be awesome, I liked how Ragnar wasn't totally invincible and actually got hurt, even though he kicked all kinds of rear end.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

This show continues to be awesome, I liked how Ragnar wasn't totally invincible and actually got hurt, even though he kicked all kinds of rear end.

Yeah the show also has realistic axe combat goodness like when Ragnar charged back into the village and went on a vengeance killing spree.

Unlike a sword you pretty much have to go all out with a axe since it's not nicely balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Those fight sequence were badass and more realistic looking than practically anything.

• Locked thread