Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Inverness posted:

As someone new to SC4, what size cities (by population) should I aim for when starting a new region?

I wish I hadn't started with New York, since its all flat. :smith:

A million.

A million in every tile.

edit: in every small tile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Inverness posted:

As someone new to SC4, what size cities (by population) should I aim for when starting a new region?

Whatever you want, really. I have a bunch of 10-20 thousand farming communities, one with 50 thousand and another with 200 thousand. I think you have to reach a certain population threshold for high density, but I'm almost certain you can hit that with a single city tile.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Inverness posted:

The objective in Sim City 4 is to collect all the sims. That's part of why Sim City 5 is such a major departure from the series.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Inverness posted:

Just start building. There are no goals.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

*PUNCH* posted:

The objective in Sim City 4 is to collect all the sims. That's part of why Sim City 5 is such a major departure from the series.

Gotta tax 'em all.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Which version of NAM does the Grand Fromage pack use? I've only found a NAM addon in it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GodlessCommie posted:

Is my plugin folder too big?

It takes 18 to 20 minutes to load from clicking the shortcut to having the come up. Surprisingly the game is stable and even in my largest city of 5.2 million I can run it on cheetah. I'd make it a mod pack but we have plenty of those and I doubt if anyone would want to deal with the load time. If you want to recreate my mod pack download everything with four stars or better from STEX and most everything on LEX.

Heh. Nope.

And that's after DatPacking as many plugins as I could without inviting brown boxes or CTDs. Despite the folder creation date, many of those plugins date all the way back to 2006.

With a SSD, it takes 5 minutes to open SC4 with all of these plugins and another 3 to 5 minutes to open any large city.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Is there some way to use one-way streets effectively? I've never bothered with them but I'm sure I'm missing out on some terribly efficient way to manage traffic.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Is there some way to use one-way streets effectively? I've never bothered with them but I'm sure I'm missing out on some terribly efficient way to manage traffic.

You use them to force traffic to main arteries, and to lower thru-traffic, but you have to make sure the Sims can get home too.

So in a grid you would alternate every parallel one way street to go a different direction.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry if this sounds stupid but what's the most effective way to place Buses, Subways and Train Stations? I often have a problem that Sims, will not use said services, even in a packed area. If they do it's like, only 3. Is it just a matter of there being too many road options or do I have to do something specific to guarantee usage?

Also is it true that you should not give multiple routes to a main transport artery? I heard that it fucks up the AI's pathing.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 26, 2013

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Everyday Lurker posted:

Heh. Nope.

And that's after DatPacking as many plugins as I could without inviting brown boxes or CTDs. Despite the folder creation date, many of those plugins date all the way back to 2006.

With a SSD, it takes 5 minutes to open SC4 with all of these plugins and another 3 to 5 minutes to open any large city.

New thread title. Sim City 4: Let's Compare Packages.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SkySteak posted:

Sorry if this sounds stupid but what's the most effective way to place Buses, Subways and Train Stations? I often have a problem that Sims, will not use said services, even in a packed area. If they do it's like, only 3. Is it just a matter of there being too many road options or do I have to do something specific to guarantee usage?

Also is it true that you should not give multiple routes to a main transport artery? I heard that it fucks up the AI's pathing.

Do you have NAM? One of the things it does is make the traffic sim much more likely to use mass transit when available. I like placing bus stops at approximately each intersection, or every second if they are close.

You should avoid making grids where any road can be used to go anywhere, since you'll often end up getting local streets getting used for through traffic then. I tend to lay my streets so the shortest route will almost always be to go to the nearest larger road and continue from there. Do that by snaking the streets and leaving out some connecting parts.
You can also connect two disconnected street networks with a bus stop, touching one street from each. That will allow pedestrians and buses to pass, but not other road traffic.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

nielsm posted:

You can also connect two disconnected street networks with a bus stop, touching one street from each. That will allow pedestrians and buses to pass, but not other road traffic.
This is a great idea that deserves some love. It's especially useful if you have 1x2 bus stops that have park effect (present in the gigapack but unfortunately missing from OldFashioned).

My one complaint about buses is that sims will walk a mile to reach a job, but too often refuse to walk twenty feet to actually get on a bus.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Cugel the Clever posted:

My one complaint about buses is that sims will walk a mile to reach a job, but too often refuse to walk twenty feet to actually get on a bus.

Speaking of this, we were having some weird pedestrian pathing with one of our buffer tiles in the Goon region: Sims were getting off at a transit center in the middle of a large tile full of SPAM farms, and they were walking all the way across the map to work. It must have been like 20-30 squares. I have never seen this, and it was with NAM on recommended settings.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

Speaking of this, we were having some weird pedestrian pathing with one of our buffer tiles in the Goon region: Sims were getting off at a transit center in the middle of a large tile full of SPAM farms, and they were walking all the way across the map to work. It must have been like 20-30 squares. I have never seen this, and it was with NAM on recommended settings.

That's like 500 meters, sure I'd walk that, most of them are lazy, but NAM change th.

Time for some images, of a building I like.

You can get it here and more extra images.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
After sinking countless hours in this game I've realized I spend more time looking at packages than I do playing.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

benzine posted:

That's like 500 meters, sure I'd walk that, most of them are lazy, but NAM change th.

Halfway across the largest tile is only 500 m? I thought even with NAM, Sims only walked a max of like 6 squares?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

Halfway across the largest tile is only 500 m? I thought even with NAM, Sims only walked a max of like 6 squares?

No 30 squares is like 500 m, 1 km is 64 tiles.

Simtropolis thread posted:

In the current NAM, Sims will walk as far as they need to in order to get to their jobs or to mass transit. In general, they don't walk very far, because driving is so much faster than walking, and all Sims can drive.

Because as they arrive from some mass transit option, they can only walk, but as long as it is under certain time limit is fine.

benzine fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 26, 2013

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I re-re-installed this game! Hooray for this thread!

When you make a neighbor deal, does it have to be with a neighbor that is directly adjacent? Say three cities A, B, and C are in a row (A and C are connected with transit but not adjacent squares). City A wants to sell garbage and city C has a big landfill to accept it. Can city A sell directly to city C? If not, can city A sell to B and then B sell to C without any negative effects to city B?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

benzine posted:

Because as they arrive from some mass transit option, they can only walk, but as long as it is under certain time limit is fine.

Ohh I see. I must have never noticed it before because I've never had a city tile without plentiful bus stops.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Medium Style posted:

If not, can city A sell to B and then B sell to C without any negative effects to city B?

You got it. Just make sure to run each city for a while so it updates and syncs up.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

So I tried looking into this myself, but does NAM actually widen the radius that people will walk to get to a mass transit station? I've got a block in my (stock) city full of highrise apartments and only one or two of them will actually use the subway station at the intersection. :(

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Higher wealth apartments are much less likely to use mass transit options so you might want to check that first.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

TehKeen posted:

So I tried looking into this myself, but does NAM actually widen the radius that people will walk to get to a mass transit station? I've got a block in my (stock) city full of highrise apartments and only one or two of them will actually use the subway station at the intersection. :(

Have you modified it with the TSCT? You can change which kind of transportation the sims prefer, so they tend to use the subway more.

Now time for a little lesson: Why and how the sims choose to travel
The res commute to the closest open job of the same wealth level, they've certain preferences according to their IQ.

In the game, they're 2 different reasons they choose between a car and mass transit.

- The first one is already decided in the game and depending on the wealth class it will prefer either car or mass transport.

- The second one it will choose the fastest. Not mattering if it is walking, driving or riding the bus.

In the vanilla for example you can see the R$ sims prefer the mass transit option, while the R$$ prefer the fastest option and only at best 20% of the R$$$ sims will choose the mass transit option. This can be changed using the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool (TFTC), that comes with NAM. To change it to your needs.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

benzine posted:

The res commute to the closest open job of the same wealth level, they've certain preferences according to their IQ.

So, this really doesn't sound much different than the agent system in SC2013. Is the job the abstracted Sims take persistent? As in, does not change, until a closer job that's appropriate appears? How often does SC4 run this check?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
IIRC it checks every few ingame days. With NAM installed it's every month to recalculate jobs. The big difference is that sims do have a permanent home, so commuting actually makes sense. The job is permanent until something changes, like a new job close by, a change in transportation networks, raising the IQ of the sim, etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

So, this really doesn't sound much different than the agent system in SC2013. Is the job the abstracted Sims take persistent? As in, does not change, until a closer job that's appropriate appears? How often does SC4 run this check?

The difference is that SC2013 runs vehicles down roads and those vehicles block each other and stuff. SC4 instead runs a graph algorithm on the road network per simulated trip and calculates the load along each edge.
If the SC2013 agents didn't basically take random turns at intersections, the result of the two things should be roughly the same.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Is there any way to pick up agricultural demand after it flatlines to 0 from growth? I wanted to fill the tile but I expanded the town too quickly and now there's 0 demand for it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

whiteshark12 posted:

Is there any way to pick up agricultural demand after it flatlines to 0 from growth? I wanted to fill the tile but I expanded the town too quickly and now there's 0 demand for it.

I don't think so. I think once there is enough pollution, and maybe development, it's unrecoverable no matter what CAP reliefs you try. I could be wrong.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

whiteshark12 posted:

Use SPAM, it makes the agriculture stay for far longer and more useful.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

whiteshark12 posted:

Pick up the bulldozer and clean all your existing zones. Leave the zoning in place, just destroy the buildings.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Use this: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1831 Specifically the squat 2x2 building. It will increase the cap for agriculture by 30,000. You may have to plop more than one of them if your population is big. This is also in Oldfashioned and the original goon gigapack; I don't know about the other two packs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay I didn't think bus stops could even do this:

Connecting directly to a highway.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

nielsm posted:

Okay I didn't think bus stops could even do this:

Connecting directly to a highway.

I like to think that sim got off the monorail, ran down the street as fast as possible, climbed up onto the highway and flagged down the first passing bus.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

benzine posted:

Have you modified it with the TSCT? You can change which kind of transportation the sims prefer, so they tend to use the subway more.

Now time for a little lesson: Why and how the sims choose to travel

In the game, they're 2 different reasons they choose between a car and mass transit.

- The first one is already decided in the game and depending on the wealth class it will prefer either car or mass transport.

- The second one it will choose the fastest. Not mattering if it is walking, driving or riding the bus.

In the vanilla for example you can see the R$ sims prefer the mass transit option, while the R$$ prefer the fastest option and only at best 20% of the R$$$ sims will choose the mass transit option. This can be changed using the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool (TFTC), that comes with NAM. To change it to your needs.

Is this universally true for rush hour? I remember that Monorails are supposed to be very attractive to high-wealth sims, and as you can see, the building I've highlighted here (a R$$$ condo) uses 100% public transport. I've got NAM installed, but have not touched the TFTC at all...

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Breetai posted:

Is this universally true for rush hour? I remember that Monorails are supposed to be very attractive to high-wealth sims, and as you can see, the building I've highlighted here (a R$$$ condo) uses 100% public transport. I've got NAM installed, but have not touched the TFTC at all...

I quoted that table from the Prima Guide, maybe not all the mass transport is the same. They'll have, as the screenshot, preference for the monorail instead of the bus. I don't blame them.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

SourceElement posted:

I like to think that sim got off the monorail, ran down the street as fast as possible, climbed up onto the highway and flagged down the first passing bus.

And then told the driver the bus could not drop below 50 MPH or it would blow up.

"Pop quiz hot shot!"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

So my sims are now refusing to cross the railroad I built leaving all the residential on the far side without car access. I've tried with the regular rail crossing and the bridge over rail from GrandFromage's pack, but no luck and the vehicle sprites just disappear at the barrier/bridge :confused:

My cars are driving on the left, so I assume my disc is already localised for the UK. I'll try launching it in US-mode, cheers!

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

What's a good size for farms? Does it make a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Medium Style posted:

What's a good size for farms? Does it make a difference?

What you think looks good.
Keep in mind that the fields also employ people, not just the buildings, so it's fine to have large expanses of fields.
I think the sizes made by the default-dragging with the farms zoning tool creates unrealistically small plots. A medium size city is supposed to be 2 km on each side, so fitting 2-3 fields in one direction on a medium tile would be reasonable.

• Locked thread