Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Groetgaffel posted:

Now, where's those extra tombs/extra story content DLCs? :colbert:

They announced there will be no single-player DLC, just multi. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yodzilla posted:

Is it possible to overhunt all of the areas of the map or only ones with boars? I spent a good deal of time in the first area blasting deer and rabbits and I never got the message there.
When you reload the game the overhunted areas reset. Also I think the first area is basically glitched because yeah - you can hunt animals for all the XP and salvage in the world and they infinitely respawn.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok so let's get this straight. Square Enix just released 19 DLCs for Tomb Raider out of which:
  • 6 are multiplayer weapons
  • 3 are multiplayer outfits
  • 1 is a multiplayer map
  • 5 are paid early unlocks for skills that you otherwise simply unlock playing the game
  • 3 are singleplayer outfits
  • 1 is an extra singleplayer tomb
So only 1 DLC that actually adds anything substantial to the game, the other are fluff skins, paid in-game unlocks and a bunch of DLCs for multiplayer that nobody plays.

It's also worth mentioning that Square Enix asks $3 for one multiplayer map while Activision sells their infamous Call of Duty mappacks containing 5 maps for $15. Which means the price is exactly the same here but for an infinitely less popular multiplayer mode.

Can it have something to do with Square Enix reporting an "extraordinary loss" to their shareholders earlier today? I wonder if the "major reforms and restructuring in its development policy, organizational structure, some business models and others." they mention in the document are paid unlocks and CoD style map pricing?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Well the DLC tomb is the one you got if you pre-ordered, so it's cool of them to make it available to everyone I guess.
The SP skins, well they cost as much as a cup of coffee, so w/e.

The rest is just bollocks though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Aren't the majority of these preorder bonuses of some kind anyway? So the "substantial" tomb isn't even new (nor really substantial, it's just like all the other one-room-one-puzzle tombs).

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Yodzilla posted:

Oh hey there's both a new nVidia patch out today and an update to Tomb Raider:

Those seem to finally have fixed the 600 series crashes- I can now play on Ultra with Tessellation on at good FPS without CTDs! Yay!

On a side note, this game looks way better than Crysis 3. I know Crysis has the best tech in theory, but it also has a lovely art/level design and broken anti-aliasing. Tomb Raider is one of the best looking games recently. I'd say the best but I haven't played Bioshock yet so who knows.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

Ok so let's get this straight. Square Enix just released 19 DLCs for Tomb Raider out of which:
  • 6 are multiplayer weapons
  • 3 are multiplayer outfits
  • 1 is a multiplayer map
  • 5 are paid early unlocks for skills that you otherwise simply unlock playing the game
  • 3 are singleplayer outfits
  • 1 is an extra singleplayer tomb
So only 1 DLC that actually adds anything substantial to the game, the other are fluff skins, paid in-game unlocks and a bunch of DLCs for multiplayer that nobody plays.

It's also worth mentioning that Square Enix asks $3 for one multiplayer map while Activision sells their infamous Call of Duty mappacks containing 5 maps for $15. Which means the price is exactly the same here but for an infinitely less popular multiplayer mode.

Can it have something to do with Square Enix reporting an "extraordinary loss" to their shareholders earlier today? I wonder if the "major reforms and restructuring in its development policy, organizational structure, some business models and others." they mention in the document are paid unlocks and CoD style map pricing?

I'm not seeing the extra Tomb DLC on steam??

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mr. Mallory posted:

I'm not seeing the extra Tomb DLC on steam??
I wanted to link it but...it disappeared :stare:

I swear it was there when I looked - something about a pilot and there was a crashed plane in the thumbnail. The only DLC I actually considered buying. And yeah the list shows 18 DLCs now and not 19. Welp.

EDIT: it does exist: http://store.steampowered.com/app/208812/

Not for US region I think.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 26, 2013

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Palpek posted:

:argh: Such bullshit!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Palpek posted:

I wanted to link it but...it disappeared :stare:

I swear it was there when I looked - something about a pilot and there was a crashed plane in the thumbnail. The only DLC I actually considered buying. And yeah the list shows 18 DLCs now and not 19. Welp.

Does anyone know how extensive the tomb is? For that price it had better be bigger than a single room.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Renoistic posted:

Does anyone know how extensive the tomb is? For that price it had better be bigger than a single room.
It looks like it's a bit more spacious optional tomb with some interesting set pieces. The youtube walkthroughs for it are about 8 minutes long.

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007
It's a single room/area. A little more elaborate than the other tombs, but pretty much the same scale.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

I wouldn't buy the extra tomb DLC. It took me less than 10 minutes to beat, and the reward is just some money and XP. Plus it's set near the beginning of the game (I think it was the first or second optional tomb I beat) so it doesn't utilize much of the equipment you earn throughout the game.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Death By Yogurt posted:

I wouldn't buy the extra tomb DLC. It took me less than 10 minutes to beat, and the reward is just some money and XP. Plus it's set near the beginning of the game (I think it was the first or second optional tomb I beat) so it doesn't utilize much of the equipment you earn throughout the game.

I believe its where you have to upgrade the climbing axe, about half an hour to an hour in. I found the door when I was doing that and assumed I'd get dynamite or something to blow it open. Buddy who preordered the game said thats where the tomb was.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The Tomb of the Lost Adventurer. It is the pre-order tomb.
Same formula as the others, but a bit lengthier since you have longer distances to run/climb to solve the puzzle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What are the extra costumes anyway?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ImpAtom posted:

IIRC it's a leather jacket , camo painting and mud covered.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Hunter skin is a mud-covered variant of the default outfit:

Aviatrix leather jacket:

Guerrilla vest:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Pretty boring costumes but it's nice to see her put a jacket on, at least.

EDIT: vvv It's a miracle the game has sold that much what with the lovely marketing. The MP is dead in the water, as well (I haven't been able to log on for weeks because of some problem that hasn't been fixed yet).

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 26, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million in less than a month and its apparently a huge failure in Square Enix's eyes.

What the gently caress is wrong with this industry. :cripes:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Where did they say that Tomb Raider was a failure?

e: oh http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Alteisen posted:

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million in less than a month and its apparently a huge failure in Square Enix's eyes.

To be fair it sold fewer copies than Hitman: Absolution which I find bizarre. Isn't Tomb Raider a more well known series? And the game is actually the best in the series unlike the new Hitman.

I'm not defending the industry here in any way though because last I heard EA said that every franchise that sells fewer than 5 million copies will be canned and that's ridiculous. But hey - both EA and Square Enix are in trouble right now so I guess it shows their ideas don't really work.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Palpek posted:

To be fair it sold fewer copies than Hitman: Absolution which I find bizarre. Isn't Tomb Raider a more well known series? And the game is actually the best in the series unlike the new Hitman.

I'm not defending the industry here in any way though because last I heard EA said that every franchise that sells fewer than 5 million copies will be canned and that's ridiculous. But hey - both EA and Square Enix are in trouble right now so I guess it shows their ideas don't really work.

Absolution came out in November, TR came out March 6th, TR has matched the Hitman numbers in a fraction of that time, what insane expectations did Square even have I wonder.

Seriously, its a reboot of a franchise that hasn't had a game in 5 years, those are amazing numbers, they should be happy as hell about them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I made the same guess in the Steam thread, but I wouldn't be surprised is part of the large expectations Square may have put on Tomb Raider (and Hitman, Sleeping Dogs) was to offset the massive losses they knew they were going to take in other areas. So less "Tomb Raider didn't make back what we spent on it" and more "Tomb Raider didn't make back what we spent on Tomb Raider AND rebuilding Final Fantasy 14."

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Alteisen posted:

Square is trying to throw the blame away from their awful Japanese development on the west. Aka business as usual. They don't want to blame their FF development issues, their existing mmo problems and the abortion that was their ff14 launch.

Also that doesn't include digital downloads.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I made the same guess in the Steam thread, but I wouldn't be surprised is part of the large expectations Square may have put on Tomb Raider (and Hitman, Sleeping Dogs) was to offset the massive losses they knew they were going to take in other areas. So less "Tomb Raider didn't make back what we spent on it" and more "Tomb Raider didn't make back what we spent on Tomb Raider AND rebuilding Final Fantasy 14."

Yeah, EA recently did this with Dead Space 3 and Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

"Welp, Medal of Honor: Warfighter was a huge flop (THAT LITERALLY EVERYONE SAW COMING EXCEPT FOR US EXECS WHO DO NOTHING BUT DRAIN MONEY FROM THE COMPANY) so now Dead Space 3 has to sell 5 million or you're failures!"

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Finally got a chance to finish an initial playthrough, all patched up and happily tessellated. Oh won't carp on at length, but at least say holy crap, that was loving awesome :rock: Definitely warrants another playthrough - may as well try hard out, and pay a bit more attention to the combat mechanics that are far and away the best the franchise has had. Well, since Crystal Dynamics took up the reigns; not familiar with the still-earlier titles.

That aside, I hope Square Enix's internal projections for this game actually *leak*, because I just got to know what 3.4 million inside a month is dissappointing against :psyduck:

Edit: Good point, AngryBooch.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Winks posted:

Square is trying to throw the blame away from their awful Japanese development on the west. Aka business as usual. They don't want to blame their FF development issues, their existing mmo problems and the abortion that was their ff14 launch.

Also that doesn't include digital downloads.

Yea I'm sure they'll fix everything with FF13-4, Lightning with a vengeance.

But yea that didn't occur to me that would try to pin the blame on their western stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DLC tomb is maybe slightly more involved than the others but still took five minutes to finish, not really worth the money.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Alteisen posted:

Maybe if they didn't spend any money on ultimately superfluous multiplayer modes, for instance, they'd have less trouble meeting their expected sales figures. :shobon:

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I...I just...I don't know what to think anymore. Someone at Square-Enix needs to be smacked in the head with a big book of 'Stop being so loving stupid'.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
WTF is wrong with 3.4m copies!?

That seems like very good sales + very respectable reviews.

Surely it has to be enough for a sequel?

I find it hard to believe that 3.4m copies has not made a profit.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
They didn't really call it a "failure," they just said that it did not reach projected numbers. Doesn't mean they won't make another one. 2 Best of E3 awards, an IGN People's Choice, and a Metacritic score in the upper 80s is a surefire sequel recipient. Almost regardless of sales, just on the Metascore alone. That's almost all some developers care about.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
If this and Dead Space get canned over fuckassery on other games I will...

make angry posts on the forums. A lot. I'm now terrified about the sequel, as a lot of the reason this game was really good rather than really ordinary was the amount of time and attention they paid to little things, like detail in the scenery, good pacing, all the little conversational snippets and things like that. And the non white male protagonist/minority characters survive story. Things that are really easy to botch when you're up against a very tight deadline and budget and are trying to aim for the widest possible audience.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
How long was this game in development?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slim Killington posted:

They didn't really call it a "failure," they just said that it did not reach projected numbers. Doesn't mean they won't make another one. 2 Best of E3 awards, an IGN People's Choice, and a Metacritic score in the upper 80s is a surefire sequel recipient. Almost regardless of sales, just on the Metascore alone. That's almost all some developers care about.

Again, I wonder what where the insanely high numbers they had in mind?

There's only one other franchise that puts out 3 million in less than a month and that's call of duty, much less a game with a female protagonist since after all they :airquote: don't sell :airquote:

And like others have said, where's the digital stuff? I'm almost certain a few months from now TR will have a respectable 5 or 6 million sold.

Why not pin the blame on the colossal failure that FF14 was? Or how Lightning was put on every single piece of promo and box art for 13-2 and then Square reveals, SHE'S NOT THE PROTAGONIST which cost them a lot of sales there to.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 27, 2013

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

How long was this game in development?

Around 4 years and considerable change in one incarnation or another.

checkstock fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 27, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Pretty much all of these are pre-order items from different retailers actually.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

WastedJoker posted:

WTF is wrong with 3.4m copies!?

I find it hard to believe that 3.4m copies has not made a profit.

Absolutely nothing. It's profitable and sequel is in development. If 3.4 million at retail in a month is far below their expectations, I really want to know what their expectations were and what their digital sales were to boot.

I'll be buying the Aviatrix skin for when I replay this. A buck? Sure. The 'hunter' skin from Amazon is lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Maybe if they didn't spend any money on ultimately superfluous multiplayer modes, for instance, they'd have less trouble meeting their expected sales figures. :shobon:

Seriously. I want a game that has none of this executive-mandated bullshit. I want to pay for what I'm going to play (I.e., unless it is a predominantly multiplayer-focused game I sure am not going to play the multiplayer mode, and maybe not even then!). Execs seem so terrified of failure that they need to slap on all this extraneous poo poo to pad out the project when it's probably padding out the cost of making it, too. Save yourself and us some money, assholes!

• Locked thread