Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

how about groovy or c# scripting?

groovy is ok in moderation, but its too easy to abuse. idk whats out there for c# scripting languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Zombywuf posted:

Python. I miss inline regexes and the fact that the batteries are not included. Python's batteries are like iPhone batteries, you can't replace them.

python is poo poo but this is just as stupid a complaint as when people make it about the iphone. probably doubly so because it's a hamhanded metaphor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
python is for people who have to be different and enjoy the pain of everything not being as good as it is in java/c#. the pain means they're still alive

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

groovy is ok in moderation, but its too easy to abuse. idk whats out there for c# scripting languages.

http://www.csscript.net/

i'm hoping i can use this to get my team away from an attempted powershell takeover

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Shaggar posted:

python is for people who have to be different and enjoy the pain of everything not being as good as it is in java/c#. the pain means they're still alive

you heard it here first: use java if you want to die

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I will only use Java after I have died.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Zombywuf posted:

I will only use Java after I have died.

so you anticipate hell?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
use <language I use> for maximum ownage imo

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

so you anticipate hell?

I see Java as more of a limbo state. Endlessly typing code into a void. Never to accomplish anything.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Lol@modifying @! without localizing it...

I mean lol@the programmer who has to figure out why @! doesn't hold what it's supposed to in 3 years

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mr Dog posted:

it's ok guys, regexes are now a thing in every real programming language, you can stop using perl now.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jerry SanDisky posted:

use <language I use> for maximum ownage imo

sorry my bad *voluntarily uses language that I utterly hate*

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Yeah I could get away with pcre if I was a cj and didn't need advanced features

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

there used to be "boo" and "nemerle" but afaik like all .net open sores projects, they withered and died

peak .net open sores optimism was like 2005. back then i would actively hack on mono and work on cross-platform .net code in my spare time. what a waste.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there used to be "boo" and "nemerle" but afaik like all .net open sores projects, they withered and died

peak .net open sores optimism was like 2005. back then i would actively hack on mono and work on cross-platform .net code in my spare time. what a waste.

is mono no longer A Thing?

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

prefect posted:

mono is a decent clr and some mono sourced projects are useful in C# on windows but that's about it

i would never target mono if i wanted my poo poo to run on anything more than my own linux hoopty

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Dear Eclipse, you suck.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
lol you use eclipse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse owns

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

prefect posted:

Xamarin sells a lot of stuff.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
eclipse owns its users

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wish visual studio's auto-complete was as good as eclipse's

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse auto complete: well judging by the lhs there are only a certain number of things you could be asking for and you've typed the letter 'a' so that narrows it down to these 2 things and one of them is named slightly like the lhs so i'll pick that one first.

visual studio auto complete: you typed the letter 'a' so heres litterally everything I could find in all of your references and code that starts with 'a'

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eclipse autocomplete works good in EPIC too! :)

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
gently caress languages where autocomplete is an important feature. if the IDE can guess it, it's lovely boilerplate that shouldn't be in the code

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hepatizon posted:

gently caress languages where autocomplete is an important feature. if the IDE can guess it, it's lovely boilerplate that shouldn't be in the code

libcxx
Mar 15, 2013
thread_local post<shit> shit_post("lol if u");
RubyMine is proof that Ruby is enterprise boilerplate garbage.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hepatizon posted:

if the IDE can guess it, it's lovely boilerplate that shouldn't be in the code

"I want my code to be lovely enough to read that programs have a hard time doing it"

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Can we talk about Borland C++ Builder and the VCL for a minute? Not Delphi though because pascal is dumb,

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

MononcQc posted:

"I want my code to be lovely enough to read that programs have a hard time doing it"

i'm not sure what your point is. if some code is too boring (obvious, trivial, predictable) for a human to manually write, necessitating autocomplete, it's definitely too boring for a human to read, and serves no purpose

no IDE is smart enough to write meaningful code. at best, it can help you obscure your code's meaning with boilerplate

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 26, 2013

libcxx
Mar 15, 2013
This object only has one method beginning with this sequence of characters, time to refactor and add some more to keep things interesting.

libcxx
Mar 15, 2013
vector.size()? Too obvious... there most be something more sinister afoot :iiam:

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

libcxx posted:

vector.size()? Too obvious... there most be something more sinister afoot :iiam:

this post brought to you by autocomplete

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hepatizon posted:

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

examples of this include every p language and html

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

libcxx posted:

whose lovely rereg are you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hepatizon posted:

i'm not sure what your point is. if some code is too boring (obvious, trivial, predictable) for a human to manually write, necessitating autocomplete, it's definitely too boring for a human to read, and serves no purpose

The effort required when writing =/= the effort required when reading.

If you ever wrote a few scribbles and keywords on paper thinking you'd totally remember it in the future and then you found out you didn't, that's what happens there. Sometimes being a bit more verbose and explicit means you spend more time when writing, but save everybody time when reading.

This isn't a blank check for verbosity, though.

hepatizon posted:

no IDE is smart enough to write meaningful code. at best, it can help you obscure your code's meaning with boilerplate

You'd be surprised how many people are not smart enough to write meaningful code either. At best, an IDE might give them consistency and still help understandability.

That being said, I myself prefer not to run with an IDE and go the sperg way with vim. Doesn't mean there isn't an argument to be made in favour of IDEs.

Edit: to match your edit.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 26, 2013

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

libcxx posted:

v.s() of course. if you need more than one letter identifiers then refactor you lovely code :getin:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
vec.mySizeVerfication()
vector.sizeVerificationOther()
vec.sizeRev2()
vec.sizeRev3()

also i stick to a strict no-comment style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

libcxx
Mar 15, 2013

hepatizon posted:

If I write size_t i = vector.si

There is only one thing I can possibly mean. How does pressing tab to skip a few keypresses obscure that I wanted the size of the vector?

horse mans posted:

whose lovely rereg are you

I'm glad we all recognize that YOSPOS is such a tedious, dead forum that no one new will ever want to post here.