Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The MSJ posted:

What's the name of that Twitter account that imagines plots for Seinfield episodes if it's still on air? Because I really want to see an episode about Kramer and George doing some sort of strange Kickstarter together.

It's a Tumblr account and not a twitter, but I think this might be what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

What's the name of that Twitter account that imagines plots for Seinfield episodes if it's still on air?

Here you go.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Good. This product is a lovely scam but Kickstarter acting as some sort of arbiter of taste and worthiness will do nothing but hurt the crowdfunding model and drive people to less scrupulous sites.

Kickstarter should take down the project, not because of any subjective measure of worth or tastefulness or social justice or whatever the hell, but because it is a "fund my life" type of project.

Even if the lady was stone broke and her daughter really did want to go to "RPG Camp" and RPG Camp really was a legit place where they turn out tween Chris Avellones, the fact that the lady is asking for people to pay for her child's entrance fee violates KS's policies.

Unfortunately, it seems like KS might let her skate by on a technicality that people who donated MIGHT get a copy of whatever RPG is produced by her daughter as a result of her attending the camp.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeepDickPizza posted:

EDIT: In response to Sid, I saw the bidding peak at over $22,000 before all the backlash blew up yesterday. It has since gone down to about $21,000, so at the very least, the backlash has reversed her momentum.

The Kicktraq page for the project shows that the donation total dropped by $673 yesterday and looks like it'll be dropping again today:

It's under $21k now.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Kicktraq page for the project shows that the donation total dropped by $673 yesterday and looks like it'll be dropping again today:

It's under $21k now.

Thank god. Maybe there's hope for the human race yet.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The thing is, anyone looking at the comments page now will see a bunch of links to MRA Reddits and assume this is simply another instance of a woman getting trolled by misogynists.

MRA idiots ruin everything.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OldMemes posted:

They do need to have some kind of monitoring, crowdfunding is still relatively new. If it can't keep basic standards up, will it have a future, or will it be full of 419 scams soon?

Yes it will, but they will be 419 scams full of feel good buzzwords so they've got that going for them.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Drakkel posted:

At any rate, this seems like a definite "jump the shark" moment for Kickstarter. If they've decided they're just gonna pick and choose which of their own rules to enforce, they're just gonna open it up to anyone who wants to buy anything and not particularly feel like paying for it.

Didn't people say the same thing about the Penny Arcade kickstarter? It didn't seem to hurt anything. While multiple instances of ignoring their own rules will probably hurt KS in the long run, I wonder how many people even pay attention to the controversies. If I didn't read this thread, I would never have heard about either incidents.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Der Shovel posted:

Yes it will, but they will be 419 scams full of feel good buzzwords so they've got that going for them.

I'd throw in a few bucks to send the Nigerian Chancellor of the Exchequer to a secret RPG Maker Camp that the banks have overlooked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'd throw in a few bucks to send the Nigerian Chancellor of the Exchequer to a secret RPG Maker Camp that the banks have overlooked.

The horrors of Guantanamo Bay are even darker than we could have imagined.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One mom found this strange secret to RPG development the console makers don't want you to know!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Elysiume posted:

Are they just ignoring that she's violating a good number of their policies?

It's a TOS not the Code of Laws of the United States of America. They can ignore it or uphold it whenever they want (like with the PA Kickstarter). And the backlash of pulling the project is probably a lot worse than letting some millionaire get some more cash out of a few misguided people who are even thanking and defending her for the privilege to be fleeced. Because this Kickstarter will show the internet misogynists!
Although I wonder if that 100 million stuff is really true, because then the whole thing would be a really bad investment of time - 20-30k is something her money should make her while cooking her breakfast eggs.

Decius has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Mar 26, 2013

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Der Shovel posted:

Leon Sumbitches will be right at home, then.

batphantom
Mar 24, 2001

What I like to do is follow Kicktraq and look for the projects with high asking prices and near-zero support. This one blew my mind.

Space Dwarves

It's a multi-media extravaganza, an MMO, an animated series, probably a movie too. The basic premise is that a group of kids are running a starship after the adults die from a disease, and the evil corporation that created it is out to get them. The creator claims he's got Don Bluth on board to create a full animated series. What's amazing about this project is the level of detail he shares. It's not some half-assed video and lots of promises, he's clearly done a lot of work on the "franchise". He's even got an escrow company involved so you know he's using the money only for the project. And how much is the target? A mere $1,120,000. And he's got stretch goals up to $3 mil! The man has vision! And with all this, how much did he end up with?

$90.

How? How could you have such high hopes, and have no one but three fellow visionaries ready to support you? What about family? Friends? Did they already directly lend him money? How do you not at least get a few dozen suckers to get things rolling? What's fascinating is that after the initial launch of the kickstarter, the creator goes radio silent. His twitter, his facebook, and the incredible Space Dwarves Web Site did not get a single update post launch. Did he immediately abandon his dream project? Why not cancel the kickstarter? He let it go right to the end, with nothing but complete, abject failure. I think he might have killed himself after the first week and his sites still continue as his legacy. Until the hosting runs out, of course. You've got to look at the site, aside from the broken format, there's an amazing comic that details the beginning of the adventure. Here's a sample.

In the end, I guess this is Capitalism at its finest. Survival of the fittest.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
That's a healthy combination of bizarre and tragic, particularly if he actually did kill himself. :smith:

I feel really sad for the poor guy all of a sudden...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It seems to be pretty clear that Kickstarter won't remove a funded project unless it's outright illegal. Explicitly violating their TOS doesn't matter--I've reported those colored ziploc bags, those steel cups, and a couple other projects that were clearly just buying poo poo from Chinese wholesalers and making a project to profit hugely from them, but nothing ever happens. Simply passing Kickstarer's 'review' process seems to mean that they don't think it violates their rules and won't do anything about it unless something exceptional happens.

After all, removing it means that they don't get their cut of the project. Penny Arcade's was borderline at best, but KS made $26,000 from it.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

DoctorTristan posted:

The thing is, anyone looking at the comments page now will see a bunch of links to MRA Reddits and assume this is simply another instance of a woman getting trolled by misogynists.

MRA idiots ruin everything.

I would imagine she hoped for an MRA backlash that she could bring up whenever legitimate criticisms are aired.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I have no idea why this failed. I mean, look at all the games they've had experience on!

Batman Begins, G Force, AND Creatures Playground?! loving AAA talent here!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pyroclastic posted:

I've reported those colored ziploc bags, those steel cups, and a couple other projects that were clearly just buying poo poo from Chinese wholesalers and making a project to profit hugely from them

I don't know about the others, but the ziploc guy was up front about that -- the minimum amount you have to buy of each color was like 1000 or 5000, so if you only want/need a few of each, and are willing to pay the premium...

Anyway, it was right in the project description, so Kickstarter must've known and judged it ok.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Batman Begins, G Force, AND Creatures Playground?! loving AAA talent here!

Hey man, that Predator game was pretty rad.

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED
Here's a pretty lovely Kickstarter;

BLOODSPORT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVYeKHWEvyk

Yes! For the lofty goal of £2,000.00 you could be be a part of this new PC and XBOX exclusive - Peep the breakdown of the costs to see where your money is going:

quote:

Steinberg Cubase 7 - A program to create the sounds and music for the game. £488 (Source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steinberg-Cubase-7/dp/B00ACDYZGK)

Xbox Live Indie Game License - £65 ($99, needed to publish a game on the Xbox)

Adobe Photoshop - I need this to create model textures and graphics for the game. The commercial version costs £631 (Source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Systems-Inc-65158275-Photoshop/dp/B007UXD72I/ref=dp_ob_title_sw)

Blood Sport website - About £8 a year for a domain and £2 a month hosting.

A Laptop to develop the game on (currently I'm using an old PC) - Around £599 for a decent one

Total cost: £1815

Accounting 5% Kickstarter fee and 5% for the payment processor fee

Total cost including fees: £1996.50

Or alternately, you could just make it y'know, FOR FREE using free alternatives for everything in your list there buddy.

Heres some concept art for this worthwhile project:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
that video convinced me

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Can Kickstarter itself qualify for awfulness at this point?

Some Dude on Neogaff posted:

So I got an email from Kickstarter this morning.

Last night I sent an email to Susan Wilson complaining about how her project was unethical. Today, Kickstarter sent me an email saying I had abused their system and now features on the site are going to be withheld from me.

:psyduck:

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Rime posted:

Can Kickstarter itself qualify for awfulness at this point?

:psyduck:

Man that is so disappointing. When Kickstarter and Etsy first started, I thought they were fantastic ideas for people who had big ideas but little capital, but Kickstarter, like Etsy long before it, has started to focus more on the money they get out of bad or down right misleading projects rather than the standards they set out at the beginning.

batphantom
Mar 24, 2001

Here's one that screams "scam".
Just: A Justice League Short Film
They're looking for $4,000 for a gritty Justice League fan film. Sure, why not. Not much activity backer wise until day 15, one person kicks in $500. Okay, rich uncle or whatever, but they're still really far from the goal. Then two days ago, two people kick in a whopping $3,301 pushing them over the top. So now the 15 people who aren't big spenders are now committed to their contribution. Is there an official term for artificially inflating a project so it hits the minimum? Let's call it "Kickjacking". TM, all rights reserved.

Still, assuming it's kickjacked, they're only making $700 minus Amazon's cut on the $3800. Is it worth it? How many other projects are getting kickjacked?

Another example:
The Badger Game: A Dark Comedy
$15K ask for a film. It's headed for failure until a recent $5K day on four backers pushes it over the top. Bullshit. This must have been kickjacked.

Yeah, I'm pushing too hard, but come on, it's a legit observation.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Alan Smithee posted:

Exactly! And to prove it I, George Bluth Sr, entrepreneur extraordinaire, plan to Kickstart my new line of Boyfights videos!

Sheeeeeeeeeeit, I'd fund that kickstarter!

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

batphantom posted:

Here's one that screams "scam".
Just: A Justice League Short Film
They're looking for $4,000 for a gritty Justice League fan film. Sure, why not. Not much activity backer wise until day 15, one person kicks in $500. Okay, rich uncle or whatever, but they're still really far from the goal. Then two days ago, two people kick in a whopping $3,301 pushing them over the top. So now the 15 people who aren't big spenders are now committed to their contribution. Is there an official term for artificially inflating a project so it hits the minimum? Let's call it "Kickjacking". TM, all rights reserved.

Still, assuming it's kickjacked, they're only making $700 minus Amazon's cut on the $3800. Is it worth it? How many other projects are getting kickjacked?

Another example:
The Badger Game: A Dark Comedy
$15K ask for a film. It's headed for failure until a recent $5K day on four backers pushes it over the top. Bullshit. This must have been kickjacked.

Yeah, I'm pushing too hard, but come on, it's a legit observation.

I thought you could pull your contribution at any time before the campaign ends for any reason, no questions asked? Even if the kickstarter meets its minimum before the end of the campaign?

In fact, I thought that's how goons/people get around not being able to comment on a kickstarter since that requires a pledge? They just pledge $1(or even less, depending) make their comments, and then pull their donation?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
After you hit the project minimum, you can remove your pledge but only if it wouldn't drop it back below the minimum. Basically you can't unfund a project but you can lower the height of the success.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maluco Marinero posted:

After you hit the project minimum, you can remove your pledge but only if it wouldn't drop it back below the minimum. Basically you can't unfund a project but you can lower the height of the success.

No, you can unfund a project. But you can't do it in the last 24 hours of the project. So if it's a week before the project ends, it's allowed for people to take enough out that the project goes back to unfunded. But once you hit 24 hours to go any money put in can only be removed if it won't underfund.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Install Gentoo posted:

No, you can unfund a project. But you can't do it in the last 24 hours of the project. So if it's a week before the project ends, it's allowed for people to take enough out that the project goes back to unfunded. But once you hit 24 hours to go any money put in can only be removed if it won't underfund.

Ah okay, my misunderstanding.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

One mom found this strange secret to RPG development the console makers don't want you to know!

People who are paying attention HATE her!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rime posted:

:psypop: Kickstarter Confirms they won't be pulling the project:

Source is this lovely, lovely CNET article

Website run by hipster shitheads lack balls to pull a KS that blatantly violates their rules because of all the attention it gets and enforcing their rules might make them look like a bad guy for shutting down some manipulative con artist mother innocent 9 year old girl? Color me surprised.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Miss Kalle posted:

Leon Sumbitches will be right at home, then.

Well Achewood is the shortcut to my heart so I am DOWN!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Evil Fluffy posted:

Website run by hipster shitheads lack balls to pull a KS that blatantly violates their rules because of all the attention it gets and enforcing their rules might make them look like a bad guy for shutting down some manipulative con artist mother innocent 9 year old girl? Color me surprised.

Actually, interesting developments on this front:

You'll notice that in this article, they recieved the exact same response back from kickstarter as CNET did 24 hours ago. Canned responses? Either Kickstarter is brutally unaware of the shitstorm this is brewing up, or they are in super-heavy damage control mode.

In other news, how about this?
:staredog:

or this?
So she was crowdfunding at 7?

or these? (edit: fixed links)
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/girls-afraid-of-money-20-experiment-cont-d
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/truths-of-top-women-in-biz-politics-sports
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/phone-case-holds-essentials-in-1-place

Here's a breakdown of that last link for you:

This, especially, is gold:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-me-get-these-kids-off-video-games-hunting-for-real-treasure?c=comments (She's been playing sexism using her daughter for years!) :aaaaa:

I feel like this is becoming a shitshow deserving of its own thread, now.

Rime has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Mar 27, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/girls-afraid-of-money-20-experiment-cont-d

So she raised $2,000, got it (FLEXIBLE FUNDING), and now the website is 404'ed http://www.fundher.nationbuilder.com/

Looks like she took the money and ran, and would have done the same thing with the money over and above the $829 she got from this one if the big shitstorm hadn't happened

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Mar 26, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Rime posted:

In other news, how about this?
:staredog:

So not only does she want people's money for ??? she also wants her critics to create the justification for the scam. What a delightful person.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Rime posted:

Wait, she referred someone to that fetish game we made fun of earlier?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Rime posted:

Why is she referring someone to a pornographic fetish game at age 9?

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

MotU posted:

Why is she referring someone to a pornographic fetish game at age 9?

Because its not actually a 9 year old girl, I am starting to have doubts it had anything to do with her daughter to begin with. As has been mentioned this woman had some other ridiculous Kickstarters that didn't make it, and now suddenly she's rolling in the dough because "please help my daughter go to camp :cry:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sid Vicious posted:

Because its not actually a 9 year old girl, I am starting to have doubts it had anything to do with her daughter to begin with. As has been mentioned this woman had some other ridiculous Kickstarters that didn't make it, and now suddenly she's rolling in the dough because "please help my daughter go to camp :cry:"

All her indygogo campaigns were flexible funding, so she got at least 2 grand from people who wanted phone cases and for a website that is now 404'ed.