Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Okay champ. Anyway..

quote:

From the Associated Press:

The United States is training secular Syrian fighters in Jordan in a bid to bolster forces battling President Bashar Assad's regime and stem the influence of Islamist radicals among the country's persistently splintered opposition, American and foreign officials said.

The training has been conducted for several months now in an unspecified location, concentrating largely on Sunnis and tribal Bedouins who formerly served as members of the Syrian army, officials told The Associated Press. The forces aren't members of the leading rebel group, the Free Syrian Army, which Washington and others fear may be increasingly coming under the sway of extremist militia groups, including some linked to al-Qaida, they said.

So basically CIA attempting to influence the Islamist factions and the balance of power in Syria by training secular defectors from the Syrian army to fight in Syria. Very interesting..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Okay champ. Anyway..

So basically CIA attempting to influence the Islamist factions and the balance of power in Syria by training secular defectors from the Syrian army to fight in Syria. Very interesting..

I cannot see a scenario where this ends well, and the CIA should have learned from their own mistakes at this point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I cannot see a scenario where this ends well, and the CIA should have learned from their own mistakes at this point.

Xth time's the charm.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

How long until we see a Syrian version of the Atlacatl battalion? I'm all for supporting the Syrian opposition, but US trained groups never end well.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

They're determined to make it work even after the previous 12903821903810293821 times failed.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a very well made video, in Arabic, about DIY mortar production in Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-BiLIplhM

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

cochise posted:

They're determined to make it work even after the previous 12903821903810293821 times failed.

It's probably institutional inertia at this point. "Alright guys, I know this hasn't worked too well for us recently ever, but we've been doing it this way for the past 60 years and I'm not going to be the one to change it."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's probably institutional inertia at this point. "Alright guys, I know this hasn't worked too well for us recently ever, but we've been doing it this way for the past 60 years and I'm not going to be the one to change it."

'If we don't do our job (and go by the book) we can't justify our budget to the tax payer.'

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a very well made video, in Arabic, about DIY mortar production in Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-BiLIplhM

This is in Rif Dimashq (the Damascus countryside). The rebels now run organized production lines for mortars up to 160mm, using scrap metal as the basic material. And that is all within 20kms of Damascus at most.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Muffiner posted:

This is in Rif Dimashq (the Damascus countryside). The rebels now run organized production lines for mortars up to 160mm, using scrap metal as the basic material. And that is all within 20kms of Damascus at most.

That's something I find really amazing, especially as these factories aren't unique, but there's lots of them producing mortars and rockets across Syria.

This video is a great demonstration of the advantage a weapon like the M60 Recoilless gun, provided by Saudi Arabia, gives the opposition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIBaE0v-7M8

And here's the best Allahu Akbar of the conflict so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWuTf_nhMDw&t=23s

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

That's something I find really amazing, especially as these factories aren't unique, but there's lots of them producing mortars and rockets across Syria.

This video is a great demonstration of the advantage a weapon like the M60 Recoilless gun, provided by Saudi Arabia, gives the opposition

Production started with landmines and later mortar tubes in Houla near Homs, sometime in early 2012 or late 2011. They've come a long way since then, when development and research of the mines took multiple lives.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Wasn't Hamas a creation of Israel and the CIA to counter the Left leaning, secular, USSR friendly PLO?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 26, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wasn't Hamas a creation of Israel and the CIA to counter the Left leaning, secular, USSR friendly PLO?

Hezbollah. Although that might've just been the Mossad loving up on their own, I can't recall.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I know that guy wasn't arguing in the best of faith, but just a reminder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7grlfg0K2s

There's nothing illegitimate about Morsi's election. Dude owned for the weeks before and after the election, and I still think he was the best guy for the job as far as bringing people together after the revolution. He was democratically elected, fairly, and there will be another election in the future. I don't think it's fair to claim that their democracy is somehow less pure than ours just because we don't like the guy they voted for. It's a learning process. I'm interested to see how their next election pans out, because security and the economy have got to be becoming bigger sticking points than Islam.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The United States still didn't have our poo poo figured out a hundred years after we became an independent democracy. We and other Western democracies still don't have a lot of poo poo figured out more than 250 years later. We shouldn't expect anyone else to turn into a leftist utopia overnight, because it's not only unrealistic, it's also hypocritical.

I realize that most of the folks in this thread realize that, but the media, at the very least, seems to have forgotten that it takes more than a single election to modernize centuries of entrenched, regressive cultural norms.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Brown Moses posted:

Truly the best right here.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Brown Moses posted:

I've got next to no clue about heavier arms like these, but how much of a concern is backblast with something like the M60--and is that still an M60 in the second video, there? How much instruction does it seem like they've been given on setting up the weapons right in terms of backblast, recoil, etc?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Chantilly Say posted:

I've got next to no clue about heavier arms like these, but how much of a concern is backblast with something like the M60--and is that still an M60 in the second video, there? How much instruction does it seem like they've been given on setting up the weapons right in terms of backblast, recoil, etc?

The second video is another Croatian supplied weapon, a M79 Osa, and what was very interesting is that early on we had this video of a group of men learning how to use the weapons correctly in a classroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZYbYvTMB_M

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Brown Moses posted:

The second video is another Croatian supplied weapon, a M79 Osa, and what was very interesting is that early on we had this video of a group of men learning how to use the weapons correctly in a classroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZYbYvTMB_M

Who makes that grenade launcher sitting on the desk there? Is that a Milkor?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I skimmed the last few pages and no one has mentioned it yet (hopefully) so I post it here:

Opposition takes over Syrias seat in the Arab League

The article says that the opposition also demands Syrias seat in the UN. Hopefully they'll get it, it would be another nail in Assads' coffin.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
It's gotta be SO LOUD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

another nail in Assads' coffin.

With the amount of times this has been said here and in the media Assads' coffin will be nothing but nails when he finally loving dies.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Chantilly Say posted:

Who makes that grenade launcher sitting on the desk there? Is that a Milkor?

It's the Croatian licensed version, the RBG-6. They are virtually identical, apart from the position of a few bolts and other markings, so the only way I could figure out the ID was watching lots of HD Youtube videos of them in action and hoping for a close up clear enough to pick them out.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Account of Syrian Shiites claiming that the rebels are committing a campaign of 'ethnic cleansing'. Does discuss a lot about Hezbollah's involvement in border towns, too.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/middleeast/la-fg-0326-syria-shiites-hezbollah-20130326,0,3406001,full.story

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Miruvor posted:

Account of Syrian Shiites claiming that the rebels are committing a campaign of 'ethnic cleansing'. Does discuss a lot about Hezbollah's involvement in border towns, too.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/middleeast/la-fg-0326-syria-shiites-hezbollah-20130326,0,3406001,full.story

I suspect there's absolutely a lot of truth to what's being said in the article, but this is important

quote:

A visit to the border area arranged with Hezbollah representatives provided a glimpse into a war raging along the Orontes River basin in towns and villages near the city of Qusair, just a few miles from the Lebanese frontier.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You get no law in an area, you see people taking the opportunity to settle old scores. The same thing happened in Libya, after all.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Brown Moses posted:

It's the Croatian licensed version, the RBG-6. They are virtually identical, apart from the position of a few bolts and other markings, so the only way I could figure out the ID was watching lots of HD Youtube videos of them in action and hoping for a close up clear enough to pick them out.

That's fiendishly impressive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baloogan posted:

Truly the best right here.

The crazier part is how you can see cars driving in the background as the shell the hell out the building with the recoilless rifle.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Chantilly Say posted:

That's fiendishly impressive.

And probably why I keep get asked about OCD at all the interviews I've had so far this week.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

And probably why I keep get asked about OCD at all the interviews I've had so far this week.

Have they really? Is it a mandatory prerequisite?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's been a lot of questions along the lines of "do you have an obsession/compulsion to do this?". Also "do you ever feel endangered by what you've uncovered?", like Syrian/Croatian/Saudi assassins are waiting outside my front door.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Do you have an obsession/compulsion to do this?

Do you ever feel endangered by what you've uncovered?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

gobertech posted:

Being honest, if the fighting stopped tomorrow and fair elections are later held with Bashar's name somewhere on the ballot I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wins.

The situation is a little more complicated than you make it seem. If the existence of a civil war makes the rebel movement legitimate then the duration and bitterness of the fighting proves that the other side must also be legitimate. At this point, there's enough truth to what is said about both sides to where it becomes hard to condemn someone for supporting one or the other.

It does indeed speak to the regime's strength that is has lasted so long, but lets remember that Gaddaffi was wildly unpopular except with a few tiny groups, and that he was winning the civil war in Libya before NATO intervened to prevent the kind of slaughter we're seeing now.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Baloogan posted:

Do you have an obsession/compulsion to do this?

Do you ever feel endangered by what you've uncovered?

You'll be able to find out those answers soon enough! Probably several times over as well.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

The United States still didn't have our poo poo figured out a hundred years after we became an independent democracy. We and other Western democracies still don't have a lot of poo poo figured out more than 250 years later. We shouldn't expect anyone else to turn into a leftist utopia overnight, because it's not only unrealistic, it's also hypocritical.

I realize that most of the folks in this thread realize that, but the media, at the very least, seems to have forgotten that it takes more than a single election to modernize centuries of entrenched, regressive cultural norms.

True. Unlike Egypt, the United States didn't let women or non-whites, or indeed anyone who didn't hold a certain amount of land to their name, to vote. Yeah, you're god drat ashamed - and I get that.

None of that poo poo is true in Egypt. I would like to see discourse take place at a level above
"herf a derf, the US went like this, so therefore this completely different place at a completely different times is the same".

As far as I'm aware, Egypt didn't disenfranchise large portions of its minorities during the election in the way that the US does EVERY SINGLE ELECTION, and as far as I'm aware there aren't laws on the books that exclude ex-felons (I mean blacks, I mean ex-felons) from voting. Even if there are, it can't be the same as a system which is set up, all the time -not just at election season, to take black men away from their families and provide slave labour for the state, disenfranchising the hell out of them. Then setting up single-booth polling stations in their former neighbourhood. And you want to talk about who's progressive at the end of all of that?

quote:

entrenched, regressive cultural norms.

You call yourself a leftist? You're a loving imperialist. "USA numbah one, western culture da best, better than regressive savages - we know how to do it but they need to learn to do it like us"

There are so many disgusting opinions running around this thread, so many racist assumptions. It's no wonder that there are few Arab goons following it. Just a bunch of sweaty white nerds with a war toy fetish.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I bet Egyptian Copts and Shia feel differently about their place in society. And you think women are given equal status as men? I don't know any Egyptian women who feel that way.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

You'll be able to find out those answers soon enough! Probably several times over as well.

You might want to start doing some research into what polonium tastes like, as a precaution. ;)

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Xandu posted:

I bet Egyptian Copts and Shia feel differently about their place in society. And you think women are given equal status as men? I don't know any Egyptian women who feel that way.

I'm pretty sure there weren't any attempts to take away their ability to vote.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Disenfranchisement is an important issue, but its hardly the only way to measure marginalization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'm not sure how you misconstrued a post that boiled down to "America is extremely flawed even centuries after becoming a democracy, why do Americans keep expecting other democracies to succeed where we still fail, and in their infancy" as pro-American imperialism, but I'm sorry that you came to that incorrect conclusion.

e: I'm also not sure whether you are insinuating that there are no oppressive or regressive regimes in West Asia, but that appears to be the case.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 26, 2013

• Locked thread