Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

coffeetable posted:

This isn't how stretch goals work. Stretch goals don't provoke individual backers into upping their pledge in order to reach the goal, nor do they convert people who were previously undecided. The purpose of stretch goals is to keep people interested and keep people talking, and that leads in an indirect way to new backers and increased $/backer.

Nah, stretch goals can do both of the first two things you talked about. I doubled my pledge to another project when a new stretch goal was introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

coffeetable posted:

This isn't how stretch goals work. Stretch goals don't provoke individual backers into upping their pledge in order to reach the goal, nor do they convert people who were previously undecided. The purpose of stretch goals is to keep people interested and keep people talking, and that leads in an indirect way to new backers and increased $/backer.

I don't know about other people, but when Avellone was added as a Wasteland 2 stretch goal I upped my pledge. It doesn't magically make people want to spend more money, but people on the edge of upping their pledge can be pushed over by a particularly shiny stretch goal.

Plus it keeps people interested and keeps people talking, and that leads in an indirect way to new backers and increased $/backer. :buddy:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Also notable that the boxed version of the game is a bit more than the other RPGs, with the SE box being much more, which probably helped drive the first week.

Also, I do up my pledges time to time when people do a neat stretch goal.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Well, the 3.1 stretch goal has been met and we've hit and passed the 54,000 backer mark and are well on the way to 57,000 backers.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/438068

quote:

Updated our Journal (10): Physical Add-Ons for $45+ Tiers, Printed Novella Compilation Add-On, Fourth Fathom, Mur Talks Companions

TL;DR: New physical add-on options! Mur Lafferty talks about companions (video). Fourth Fathom achieved and Cult Dendra O’hur added! GOG.com digital download option. Party with us next Friday!

Hi Forgotten Ones,

On Saturday, we surpassed 54,000 Backers, unlocking the Fourth Fathom of the Castoff’s Labyrinth. Only about 1000 more for the Fifth Fathom! And today (with PayPal’s $50+K contributions) we’ve reached the $3.1M Stretch Goal, adding a third cult. Pat Rothfuss, we are coming for you!
Physical Add-Ons (Now Open to All Tiers $45+)

We had been restricting physical add-ons to those at a physical goods Pledge Tier. We are relaxing this restriction – if you have pledged at the $45 Tier or higher, you can now increase your pledge to include physical goods for add-ons. We’ll absorb domestic shipping charges, but for our international backers, we ask that you add an additional $10 shipping & handling per item to help cover the extra shipping cost. Maximum of 5 total physical add-ons per person – if you would like more than that, please contact us via PM and we’ll see what we can do.

Printed Novella Compilation

Per popular demand, we are making the Printed Novella Compilation available as an add-on. This includes the novellas by Monte Cook and Colin McComb, as well as the From the Depths five novella compilation. $40 (plus $10 shipping & handling if international). (Available in English only.)

T-Shirts and Posters

Other physical add-ons available at this time are backer-exclusive Torment T-shirts ($25 each) and Posters ($25 each). Sample (not final) designs are shown below. T-shirt sizes are S through XXL.

First Castoff Statuettes

For the true collector, we’re making signed and numbered limited edition statuettes available as add-on options outside of the $2K Tier. The matte version is at $1200 and the painted one $1800. (Created by Imaginerick.) (No need to add more for shipping and handling of these.)

... and for you real highrollers.

quote:

First Castoff Statuettes

For the true collector, we’re making signed and numbered limited edition statuettes available as add-on options outside of the $2K Tier. The matte version is at $1200 and the painted one $1800. (Created by Imaginerick.) (No need to add more for shipping and handling of these.)

quote:

Mur Lafferty Describes Companions

In Tales of Torment: Episode 5, Mur explains more about companions and why they might accompany (or abandon) you throughout Torment. She describes the initial concepts of two of them and what role they might play in your story (but please keep in mind that these are representative examples and may be different in the final game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_muGkp5E-c

quote:

Other Things

GOG.com
Many of you have asked us if we will be releasing Torment on GOG.com. After all, they're the best place to get the game that inspired this all – Planescape: Torment. Well, good news! We're happy to announce that we've talked with the GOG.com crew and they've let us know that they would love to distribute Torment! They will be one of your options to download your digital DRM-free copies. (They’ll also be a place to get Wasteland 2 DRM-free.)

(Check our tumblr site for PS:T links, including to mods for the game.)

Seeking Volunteers for Translation of Our Tumblr Site

We’re working with Easyling to translate our tumblr blog into as many languages as possible, so you can get information on the game and the Kickstarter rewards in your own language and so we improve our reach. We’re looking for volunteers among our fans to help get this rolling – the Easyling app will allow you to translate pages or parts of pages without any requirement for technical know-how, all we need is your own language skills and energy. If you’re interested, send us a message through Kickstarter with your email address and the language you’d like to help us translate our blog to.

Signed Print Added to $2K Tier

We’re adding a signed print (from the corresponding $1K Tier) as an additional reward for the $2K Statuette Tier. (A signed print was already included in the $5K and $10K tiers.)

Backer-Only Online Store Post-Kickstarter

We’ve received many requests that more add-ons be made available. We are adding some of these to the Kickstarter pledge options, such as the items mentioned in this update, but in many cases using the Kickstarter add-on capability isn’t the best option. Sometime after the Kickstarter ends, we will set up a backer-only online store where both digital and physical items will be available for purchase. So if you’ve pledged at a Tier lower than $45, you’ll have the online store as an option for some physical goods.

Come Celebrate with Us!

The Torment Kickstarter ends at the end of next week! Our closing party will begin at 2 PM PDT on Friday, April 5th. If you’d like to celebrate with us, please login at tormentRPG.com (you’ll need to register at our site if you haven’t already) and you’ll be able to let us know. The bar tab will be covered by the Bard (i.e., profits from the Android version of The Bard’s Tale will be paying for the party). (And I hear Colin has promised cake!) Please let us know by this Thursday if you’d like to come!

Kevin Saunders
Project Lead

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I know those are only mockups and the final designs might change, but those are some unimaginative t-shirt designs. I think I might remove that addon from my pledge and maybe get it later in the store after the design is finalised and I like it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Yeah, the only thing that does not look good is the tshirt. They need to roll out a new design ASAP if they want tshirt pledges to roll in.

The novellas are tempting though. I am still a sucker for printed books.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I thought the fact that your character projects their pain onto their companions was an pretty interesting mechanic to go with. I can see that making a pacifistic playthrough very appealing for people who get invested in them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Don't know who Mur Lafferty is but she's making me glad I pledged.

Edit: But while we're talking about companions, have they said anything about voice actors? They were fantastic in PS:T and I worry that it either won't be a priority or they won't have the budget for it this time around.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 26, 2013

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pyradox posted:

I thought the fact that your character projects their pain onto their companions was an pretty interesting mechanic to go with. I can see that making a pacifistic playthrough very appealing for people who get invested in them.
I guess they'll just have to... *endure*.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

Edit: But while we're talking about companions, have they said anything about voice actors? They were fantastic in PS:T and I worry that it either won't be a priority or they won't have the budget for it this time around.
Those minor snippets like PS:T arent that expensive. Especially if they use "good voices" from non famous names.

I have faith in this group to choose voices that match what they want.

Dec 26, 2012

Somehow I don't think that advertising that I am responsible for torment is a good idea.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

01011001 posted:

Somehow I don't think that advertising that I am responsible for torment is a good idea.

What, you mean you don't want to wear a 'Without Me There Would Be No TORMENT' shirt to work?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

Only as much as can be inferred by the "Considering" tags and comments on the backer community site. It won't be fully voiced, for certain, but there will be some voicing. As best I can judge, I think they are aiming for the same level as PS:T, where VA is focused om ambiance and key phrases. In a text-heavy RPG like they are making, doing much more than that may just be detrimental, as it highlights all the lines that didn't get voiced. Plus, when your guys can be anything from self-sacrificing martyrs to evil overlords, I think it is hard to cover the breath of voice nuance required (since we known companions shift their tendencies as well). Maybe they'll voice inter-companion banter if there is any, to avoid the annoyance of having the player stop to read through that at random times.

And frankly, I think the VA is best used in establishing ambiance. It certainly worked wonders for Sigil. They haven't named names. I guess it is a bit early to consider casting when the script isn't written yet.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 27, 2013

general chaos
May 20, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

*Planescape lore regarding how the afterlife works.*
I feel like I wasted my question to Chris Avellone during his Reddit IAMA. Also, a lot more depressed about the entire ordeal of PS:T.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

FRINGE posted:

:siren: MASSIVE GAME DESTROYING SPOILER - ABORT ABORT! :siren:

It's been years since I played it, and I must have missed a piece somewhere: I remember Morte being torn from the pillar of skulls, but I don't remember ever finding out about his life before that. Where are the reveals about his life with the Nameless One, tricking him into his crime, and his guilt for it?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GhostBoy posted:

Only as much as can be inferred by the "Considering" tags and comments on the backer community site. It won't be fully voiced, for certain, but there will be some voicing. As best I can judge, I think they are aiming for the same level as PS:T, where VA is focused om ambiance and key phrases. In a text-heavy RPG like they are making, doing much more than that may just be detrimental, as it highlights all the lines that didn't get voiced. Plus, when your guys can be anything from self-sacrificing martyrs to evil overlords, I think it is hard to cover the breath of voice nuance required (since we known companions shift their tendencies as well). Maybe they'll voice inter-companion banter if there is any, to avoid the annoyance of having the player stop to read through that at random times.

That's the best way to do voices in a game like this, and I've always believed that (which is why I disagree with Avellone). I was more concerned about the quality of the VAs themselves.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

GhostBoy posted:

Infer no more! This is indeed the intention, "something like PS:T". That's pretty broad, but intentionally so, we don't even know our budget yet so it's impossible to know what makes sense to allocate to VA, but we are "looking into" partial voice acting. Full voice acting is right out because of limitations and costs involved, but partial VA makes sense, and WL2 did it too.

We haven't talked about voice actors involved and probably won't for a long time yet, that's way later in production. The guy doing the "updated my..." bits in the videos sure does a mean Micheal T Weiss impression tho, doesn't he?

PS: pretty good new interview with Kevin and Colin on GameBanshee

Brother None fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 27, 2013

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wonder how much getting a few soundbites out of Homer and Fry costs these days?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Brother None posted:

Infer no more! This is indeed the intention, "something like PS:T". That's pretty broad, but intentionally so, we don't even know our budget yet so it's impossible to know what makes sense to allocate to VA, but we are "looking into" partial voice acting. Full voice acting is right out because of limitations and costs involved, but partial VA makes sense, and WL2 did it too.

We haven't talked about voice actors involved and probably won't for a long time yet, that's way later in production. The guy doing the "updated my..." bits in the videos sure does a mean Micheal T Weiss impression tho, doesn't he?

PS: pretty good new interview with Kevin and Colin on GameBanshee
Very cool.

On the quality of VAs, I'd say that while I appreciate a good VA probably a bit more than most, we should probably keep in mind that there are a lot of diamonds in the rough out there. Xanthe Elbrick, beyond having a cool name, did a very nice job for the female sith inquisitor in SWTOR, and that was her first gig in the VA business.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
They've hit 57,000 backers, which is cool because I'm really interested in delving to the bottom of the labyrinth to find out what that giant creature is and why it looks so sad and forlorn.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I know this is not the proper thread for this, but Larian have just put up a Kickstarter for Divinity: Original Sin and I believe this will be up a lot of this thread's alleys. They're making it turn-based instead of action-y like the previous games, they're specifically designing it for two-player coop, they're eschewing the full-voice to focus on putting in a massive amount of NPCs and quests and their main inspiration is the Ultima games.

It kind of already looks awesome, as well.

Zeroisanumber posted:

They've hit 57,000 backers, which is cool because I'm really interested in delving to the bottom of the labyrinth to find out what that giant creature is and why it looks so sad and forlorn.

It's a love interest.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

One thing I think inXile is dropping the ball on is communication via Kickstarter. Project Eternity had 26 updates over the course of their Kickstarter, and it felt like they updated pretty much immediately whenever anything notable happened (such as passing a stretch goal). Torment, on the other hand, didn't even post when they hit $3M, their biggest game mechanics stretch goal, not even just to acknowledge that it was reached. They waited, IIRC, 3 days to post an update afterwards.

There are fairly frequent updates on their Tumblr, but not everyone's going to check their Tumblr, Tumblr doesn't automatically send you emails with every update, and you have to actually re-read the main Torment page to find the link to it.

I just feel like there's a lack of communication, and that lack of communication gives a feeling that they're just not as amped about it as Project Eternity's team was. I'm not saying that's true, I'm sure they're all plenty excited, but complete silence for days after major goals have been reached doesn't exactly tell us that.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Zurai posted:

One thing I think inXile is dropping the ball on is communication via Kickstarter. Project Eternity had 26 updates over the course of their Kickstarter, and it felt like they updated pretty much immediately whenever anything notable happened (such as passing a stretch goal). Torment, on the other hand, didn't even post when they hit $3M, their biggest game mechanics stretch goal, not even just to acknowledge that it was reached. They waited, IIRC, 3 days to post an update afterwards.

There are fairly frequent updates on their Tumblr, but not everyone's going to check their Tumblr, Tumblr doesn't automatically send you emails with every update, and you have to actually re-read the main Torment page to find the link to it.

I just feel like there's a lack of communication, and that lack of communication gives a feeling that they're just not as amped about it as Project Eternity's team was. I'm not saying that's true, I'm sure they're all plenty excited, but complete silence for days after major goals have been reached doesn't exactly tell us that.

I don't think having updates everyday of minor stuff is better than having what 3 updates a week that are fleshed out. If you want constant information check their twitter and tumblr. I'd prefer to have the kickstarter updates to be significant.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

The thing about kicstarter is that, while keeping the KS crowd happy and interested, you have to generate buzz and plain old get more backers! Those are not going to come from the KS comment crowd. Interviews with game sites, setting up podcats things, figuring out what the next stretch goal is (and wrangling the deals to maybe, possibly make it happen)... those are all things that some has to do. So where is your time better spent: doing updates on the KS page (where there is a perfectly visible link to follow) or making other things happen?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

GhostBoy posted:

The thing about kicstarter is that, while keeping the KS crowd happy and interested, you have to generate buzz and plain old get more backers! Those are not going to come from the KS comment crowd. Interviews with game sites, setting up podcats things, figuring out what the next stretch goal is (and wrangling the deals to maybe, possibly make it happen)... those are all things that some has to do. So where is your time better spent: doing updates on the KS page (where there is a perfectly visible link to follow) or making other things happen?

I disagree pretty strongly. I've hopped on several different Kickstarters now because people have re-posted their Kickstarter updates on other sites. Fewer updates, fewer re-posts, fewer people reached.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Zurai posted:

One thing I think inXile is dropping the ball on is communication via Kickstarter. Project Eternity had 26 updates over the course of their Kickstarter, and it felt like they updated pretty much immediately whenever anything notable happened (such as passing a stretch goal).

It's a difference in approach. inXile's philosophy on updates is simply one of less frequent, meatier updates, with a little bit for everyone, both during and post-Kickstarter. Our daily average in the "quiet period" has not been much worse than Eternity's, it's been about the same (a bit lower, but that difference is more due to fast start and existing high $/backer), so I wouldn't say we dropped the ball, it's a difference in approach that ultimately makes little difference if you're looking at the bottom line. Sure, you can prefer another style, that's all good, but we prefer this style.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yup.

Brother None fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 28, 2013

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.

Brother None posted:

It's a difference in approach. inXile's philosophy on updates is simply one of less frequent, meatier updates, with a little bit for everyone, both during and post-Kickstarter. Our daily average in the "quiet period" has not been much worse than Eternity's, it's been about the same, so I wouldn't say we dropped the ball, it's a difference in approach that ultimately makes little difference if you're looking at the bottom line. Sure, you can prefer another style, that's all good, but we prefer this style.

Yup.

Any chance we can get a higher resolution picture????

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

awesomepanda posted:

Any chance we can get a higher resolution picture????

No, sorry, that's the size we're keeping it at for now. Might do a higher resolution/desktop background version of the final one though.

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.

Brother None posted:

No, sorry, that's the size we're keeping it at for now. Might do a higher resolution/desktop background version of the final one though.

BrotherNone, has Brian Fargo's contribution already been added to the total raised? Or will it be added at the end/

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

awesomepanda posted:

BrotherNone, has Brian Fargo's contribution already been added to the total raised? Or will it be added at the end/

They've said his and Steven Dengler's are going to be added afterwards.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

What is that purple stuff / bottom layer, like a rock cutaway a la a fossil record diorama or a weird forest thing?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

What is that purple stuff / bottom layer, like a rock cutaway a la a fossil record diorama or a weird forest thing?

They look like crystals.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brother None posted:

It's a difference in approach. inXile's philosophy on updates is simply one of less frequent, meatier updates, with a little bit for everyone, both during and post-Kickstarter. Our daily average in the "quiet period" has not been much worse than Eternity's, it's been about the same (a bit lower, but that difference is more due to fast start and existing high $/backer), so I wouldn't say we dropped the ball, it's a difference in approach that ultimately makes little difference if you're looking at the bottom line. Sure, you can prefer another style, that's all good, but we prefer this style.

Yup.

Keep that up and death is going to be more expansive than life. Or at least contain more miles-long Eeyore-esque worm creatures.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

GhostBoy posted:

while I appreciate a good VA probably a bit more than most, we should probably keep in mind that there are a lot of diamonds in the rough out there.
I would rather they use newer names that best match what they are looking for on a per-character (and NPC 'things') basis and use more snippets from more people to give ambiance to various characters/critters/figments - as opposed to using someone famous and expensive and only getting a few done.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

With the way the Labyrinth is looking, I may just spend more time dead than alive in this game. :)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

That Interview posted:

Colin: We do plan to experiment with [the dialouge tree system] in some interesting ways (though many of our readers have demanded extensive text, in the tradition of PST), but we’re not going to overhaul the system entirely and scrap the good work that it produces. Instead, we’re planning to fine tune it.

I'm curious about this. Does anyone have a guess at how they might change that? I just hope there's none of that "click something in the general vicinity of what you mean and the character will say something completely different" stuff that games so love nowadays, because that sucks. But I can't imagine it being a thing in a torment game, so these worries are tiny.

I do, however, wonder how it could be changed for the better. I'm sure it could, mind you, but I'm wondering how.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

I'm curious about this. Does anyone have a guess at how they might change that? I just hope there's none of that "click something in the general vicinity of what you mean and the character will say something completely different" stuff that games so love nowadays, because that sucks. But I can't imagine it being a thing in a torment game, so these worries are tiny.

I do, however, wonder how it could be changed for the better. I'm sure it could, mind you, but I'm wondering how.

For starters, they could probably have a second menu drop down from your selection for "lie/tell truth/whateverthehellelse/play the bongos", instead of having 4 pages of choices, second half of which being lie versions of the first half.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's a forlorn whale with a bunch of crap growing out of its blow-hole

Also I wish there were better digital add-ons / tiers - I pledged Project Eternity about $100 more than Torment because the higher-level digital tiers were cooler than Alpha systems testing or the Numenera corebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

So glad I backed this. Didn't have money for Wasteland 2 when it was up, but then this started and now my favorite game gets a spiritual sequel.
I want to play through that labyrinth so hard.

• Locked thread