Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fart of Presto posted:

Beat: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
I've beaten/unlocked all tracks in the singe player campaign and I'm really not into trying to perfect runs so I earn that extra star so I can unlock some obscure Sega character, so I'm basically calling the single player part beaten.
I'll keep playing it though, as I've had a lot of fun playing online with the goons, and while I'm really bad at racing compared to most if not all the others, I'm one of the best at groaning and yelling at the others for beating me.

Actually, you've got that wrong; they made the best choice for the final racer in SART. A team-up of Daytona's Hornet, the F-14 Tomcat from Afterburner, and the Dreamcast controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

Your standards are too high ;) "Awesome" solutions are marked as such by the player; the computer trusts you implicitly.

:stare: Nope, that's not fair man, I drew a detailed fish with a curved tail as a solution, and someone else can tick the box if they happen to draw a slightly bigger box. :tizzy:

Ok... Much better. I actually threw on The Sims 3 the other night and made a horrific goon with a fedora called Marc - all his housemates are having fun, he's at the computer "making inappropriate forum posts". :barf:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Finally, after about a month of getting one or two hours per week to play games, beat Mini Ninjas. It was a relaxing action/adventure game that wasn't ball crushingly difficult, but still challenged me in a few parts. Once I figured out each enemy and how to beat them, it got a lot easier. I'm OK with that, though. I don't yearn for the days where I would run into a brick wall of difficulty and give up on a game or spend months trying to beat it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Beat: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Got the neutral ending. Fun game. Long as hell game. I was going to go back for the other endings, but

Beat: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Awesome game once you get the hang of the combat. Still, by the end of it I was just cheesing things by spamming fully upgraded Igni. For the ending, I sided with the Scoia'atel, saved Adda, killed Siegfried (really had no choice) and went "holy poo poo" at that ending movie where another witcher tried to assassinate King Foltest. Also is it just me or was the Grand Master of the Order an older Alvin who traveled back in time? He had the amulet and had visions of a frozen future that kinda drove him insane.

Time to move on to the second Witcher game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

havenwaters posted:

Beat: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Awesome game once you get the hang of the combat. Still, by the end of it I was just cheesing things by spamming fully upgraded Igni. For the ending, I sided with the Scoia'atel, saved Adda, killed Siegfried (really had no choice) and went "holy poo poo" at that ending movie where another witcher tried to assassinate King Foltest. Also is it just me or was the Grand Master of the Order an older Alvin who traveled back in time? He had the amulet and had visions of a frozen future that kinda drove him insane.

This is definitely what they were implying. Furthermore the Grand Master's motivation for stealing Witcher secrets and inciting war mirrors what you tell Alvin when he's travelling with you.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wait what? How were they implying that the Grand Master was Alvin? I thought they made it pretty clear that all people inflicted with that "gift" had insane visions and that the necklace was a known way to suppress them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Wait what? How were they implying that the Grand Master was Alvin? I thought they made it pretty clear that all people inflicted with that "gift" had insane visions and that the necklace was a known way to suppress them.

It's never directly stated but there are a ton of clues that make the connection. In Geralt's journal entry on Alvin, he specifically notes that Alvin can "travel through time and space" but can't control it. The conversations you have with Alvin are directly mirrored (albeit twisted) by the Grand Master in the epilogue. Furthermore, when the Grand Master speaks to Geralt when you meet him in Chapter V and also in the epilogue, he refers to Geralt in the past tense by saying things like "you were always preachy" or "you always said so-and-so." This makes no sense conventionally because Geralt only met the Grand Master for the first time in Chapter V. Alvin is also fascinated by Witchers because they fight monsters but Geralt disappoints Alvin by saying he shouldn't become a Witcher. Alvin says he'll become a Witcher-Knight. What does the Order do? It fights monsters and Siegfried even tells Geralt that Witchers are allowed.

The implication is that Alvin went back in time at the end of Chapter IV, became Grand Master, and twisted Geralt's teachings to serve his own purpose. It's never outright stated but there's too much evidence to discount it. The Wild Hunt even says he recognizes the Grand Master's soul but under a different name and Geralt and Dandelion talk about recognizing Grand Master's amulet but his was worn with age.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 24, 2013

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Sleeping Dogs: The Year of the Snake DLC
This is a fitting DLC to end the Sleeping Dogs saga on. I enjoyed Nightmare at North Point and didn't really care for Zodiac Tournament, probably because they both had nothing to do with the original story, but this DLC really feels like an epilogue to the main game.
Wei starts out as a street cop, handing out parking tickets and showing tourists the way around the city. By chance he gets involved in an traffic accident that also involves members of a doomsday cult, and he now gets the chance to get his old job back again.
The DLC contains 6 main missions and several small side jobs and it took me 4-5 hours to do an almost 100% run (too much grinding to get 200 arrests and 100 gassed people) and I had a lot of fun doing it too.
I think The Year of the Snake is now the Top DLC for Sleeping Dogs and almost a must, if you feel just a tiny bit of craving for more Hong Kong action.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That's good to hear, I'll pick that up when I get an urge to Sleepy Dogs again.

Beat Tomb Raider. Loved the combat, loved the exploration, looks fantastic and I thought the story was pretty interesting and well told. I wish it was harder though and I've yet to get into a multiplayer game. A new game plus or wave based arena mode would go a long way here but I'd highly recommend this reboot.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% Achievements for this week:

Defy Gravity Extended: Sometimes this has the 'Extended' subtitle and sometimes it doesn't. Anyway, even I can recognise that this isn't a very good game, but at least it was cheap in the current indie sale! It's a very basic platformer where you fire gravity or anti-gravity wells to help you jump to the exit. Apart from about two or three of the very last stages I think everything can be solved exclusively with anti-gravity rocket jumping, which suggests the stage design wasn't well planned. After one loop of the game you get a hard mode which is more tedious than anything, you get your anti-grav taken away but three gravity wells instead, the main problem being that enemies get sucked towards those and dodging is slow. Not recommended for anyone.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!!

To really enjoy this game, you have to be in a very small population of people that 1) own a Nintendo 3DS; 2) liked The Adventure of Link; and 3) love Adventure Time. If you are in that group, then this is a great game. If you are not, then you could probably pass on this.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
This is a tough one, I guess it's a tie between Beaten and Nulled, which is really depressing.

BEATEN / NULLED: Edge - I picked this up during the Christmas sale, the control scheme can be confusing at times and the graphics can be quite distracting, since they are retro and blurry. Yet it's a great little game, part platforming, part stress inducer, the game revels in the fast that you will die a few times in order to perfect new techniques or complete a level. The levels themselves are really inventive as well, with them constantly shifting to lead or even push you in certain directions. It's a shame though that you need honed reflexes to complete the later challenges. I'm stumped with 5-6 levels left on Normal Mode, only had 4 levels left on Extended and completed the Bonus levels. As far as I'm concerned I've gotten my moneys worth and can walk away happy, which is more than I can say about other major titles I've picked up.

While trying to work on projects, I take breaks with FTL while listening to podcasts, DOn't Starve sinces it's been updating a load recently with some weird and wonderful new features (Curse you lightning :argh:) and messing around with The Sims 3, where I made a horrible goon who spends his days "making inappropriate forum posts".

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled: FTL: Faster Than Light
I had really looked forward to playing this, with all the praise it has gotten both here on this forum and elsewhere, but it just didn't hook me at all.
The idea is great, I love the music, graphics are decent and it's just very polished for this type of game. I can't really put my finger down and point exactly at what I don't enjoy playing this game, it's just not there.
Oh well, one highly praised indie to the meh/boring/crap category, tens if not hundreds to go...

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wait, don't give up hope on FTL. I felt that way after the first hour or two, but you soon learn from your mistakes and get to make new ones. That's the real fun of it, not mastering the game, but seeing how far you can make it before your ship blows apart or your crew are killed off by space spiders, teleporting pirates, fires, catastrophic systems failures, solar flares and the ships in Sector 8 drat them all to hell. It's a game where after a few hours, new possibilities open up for you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FTL becomes a lot more enjoyable (and easier) once you understand boarding and how fire works. Fire deals no damage to hull but if a systems is destroyed, you take 1 hull. Fire also removes oxygen and deals damage to any creature in the room so fire is a really powerful weapon in disabling systems and distracting crew as the AI will abandon stations to put out a fire.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fart of Presto posted:

Nulled: FTL: Faster Than Light
I'm beginning to suspect that either you have very high standards for games, or you put down a lot of games before they really have a chance to hook you. Lone Survivor, Eversion, FTL...

Then again, you've nulled a lot of crappy games as well, so there's that.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Lets try and remember that this is a support group more than anything else and that sometimes we just get stuck in games and it seems like there's no option but to Null. I know I jumped on Fart of Presto first, but I'll admit that there are times in FTL that I look at it and say that it can be an dull experience that's unfair at times and it's impossible to complete, even on Easy.

Always remember, we are here to reduce our Backlog and have fun doing it, it's not about getting 100% in every game we have. :steam::hf::steam:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
God help me. Just bought the containment DLC for Defense Grid and re-installed the game.

Now looking at achievements and see lots of new ones related the the DLC. 110 hours played on this game already. And it's a damned tower defense game. It's ridiculous to me that I have so many hours played on this thing already.

Oh well. Sorry, backlog. An old friend is coming to dinner.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Beat: Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising. I liked this expansion campaign more than the base game (which got repetitive fast) but gently caress the final boss. Hey, let's give this guy a million HP, a bunch of area attacks, and the ability to drag your party into his zone from range. This guy took me 15 minutes with maxed characters. gently caress.

Beat: Dawn of War 2: Retribution. The game was getting old hat by now. I liked being able to field actual soldiers but the game was getting long in the tooth. At least the final battle was more manageable and I loved fielding Apocalypse level vehicles towards the end. My baneblade wrecked house.

Beat: Red Faction: Armageddon. Guerrilla spoiled the series. Out of four games it's the only open world one but I just couldn't go back to the linear style and enjoy it. The variety in explosive weaponry kept me hooked until the end and it's the only game where I exclusively used explosives the entire way through. The script is awful. Embarrassingly awful. Call of Duty is actually good next to it, awful. The final level is repairing the terraformer which was destroyed in the beginning of the game, 5 years prior to the events. If Darius could singlehandedly repair the thing in five minutes, why the hell didn't he do that from the start? He has a loving device that can repair loving matter, Jesus Christ! I also cringed when he kisses the girl for the first time and she immediately dies a second later. A 5th grader wrote this script.

Beat: Gravity Rush. Pretty good portable game. Really good based solely on gameplay. I don't know where they were going with the story. There is literally no resolution. Characters are introduced and given no development. A major villain appears in one mission, disappears for several, then reappears and dies in the same mission without any word of his motivation. There are games that set up a sequel like Assassin's Creed 1 but Gravity Rush's story is barely a quarter of a full game. Thankfully there's enough content to make up for a plot that's basically "Girl with amnesia fights monsters in surreal dream worlds."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

al-azad posted:

Beat: Red Faction: Armageddon. Guerrilla spoiled the series. Out of four games it's the only open world one but I just couldn't go back to the linear style and enjoy it. The variety in explosive weaponry kept me hooked until the end and it's the only game where I exclusively used explosives the entire way through. The script is awful. Embarrassingly awful. Call of Duty is actually good next to it, awful. The final level is repairing the terraformer which was destroyed in the beginning of the game, 5 years prior to the events. If Darius could singlehandedly repair the thing in five minutes, why the hell didn't he do that from the start? He has a loving device that can repair loving matter, Jesus Christ! I also cringed when he kisses the girl for the first time and she immediately dies a second later. A 5th grader wrote this script.

I like how halfway through the game your character just starts sort of teleporting around from place to place because (I'm guessing) all kinds of poo poo got cut. But yeah that was one of the dumbest endings I've ever seen even for a dumb action game. It bugs me to no end when characters in games don't do things that would have avoided all of the conflict in the rest of the game just "because." Red Faction: Armageddon is the ultimate example but I still hold Red Dead Redemption pretty high up there too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I like how halfway through the game your character just starts sort of teleporting around from place to place because (I'm guessing) all kinds of poo poo got cut. But yeah that was one of the dumbest endings I've ever seen even for a dumb action game. It bugs me to no end when characters in games don't do things that would have avoided all of the conflict in the rest of the game just "because." Red Faction: Armageddon is the ultimate example but I still hold Red Dead Redemption pretty high up there too.

Everyone also believed the villain was dead despite you and your friend surviving the explosion at ground zero because, why the hell not? Then you find out Red Faction knew the cultists were still active and where they were hiding despite everyone blaming you for this incident. It's like the script was developed by four separate writers who didn't have contact with each other.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Colon V posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that either you have very high standards for games, or you put down a lot of games before they really have a chance to hook you. Lone Survivor, Eversion, FTL...

Then again, you've nulled a lot of crappy games as well, so there's that.
I do have high standards for games and I expect them to entertain me. Just like a good book, there is nothing wrong in a game being a bit slow in the beginning, but at one point you need to decide for yourself if you should keep reading it or just give up on it and accept that it just didn't work out (hey, it sounds like relationship advice too!)
I've had a couple of highly praised games that just didn't connect with me. Both Lone Survivor and FTL were games I had looked forward to play but never really felt entertained by.
The problem is that I can easily see the quality in these games. On paper they are awesome, when you guys talk about your experience with them, I really enjoy reading about it and it pumps me even more to get into them, though not with an unrealistic expectation.
Then when I play them, it often comes down to the feel of the game, as I wrote before regarding FTL, I can't really point to one thing and say "that's whats wrong".
It's a bit annoying sometimes, as I want to have the same great experience with these almost classic indie games as you guys, and enjoy the same enthusiasm, but they just don't grab me.

PowerBeard posted:

Lets try and remember that this is a support group more than anything else and that sometimes we just get stuck in games and it seems like there's no option but to Null. I know I jumped on Fart of Presto first, but I'll admit that there are times in FTL that I look at it and say that it can be an dull experience that's unfair at times and it's impossible to complete, even on Easy.

Always remember, we are here to reduce our Backlog and have fun doing it, it's not about getting 100% in every game we have. :steam::hf::steam:
Well, to be honest, I knew I would catch some flak for nulling FTL which was also why I didn't mix it in with a lot of other games.

And yeah, I play games to have fun and relax. When I'm off work, I don't want to spend too much time hoping the game gets better or that it grabs me in a few hours.
I accept it and then I move on to another of those backlogged games that are just waiting to be played :)

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Good to hear, sorry about the ambush on that.

BEATEN: Sonic & All Stars: Racing Transformed - Beaten, but certainly not done with this by a long shot. A fun and oddly balanced racing game that constantly rewards you for playing. New unlocks such as characters, tracks or even just stickers keep you racing. I've completed the Grand Prix's (including the Mirror Modes) and earned an S-Rank licence, completed most of the Main Campaign, though not enough for the 95-110 Stars needed. The difficulties ramped right up for A-Class and S-Class races and you have to fight for the lead.

Oh yeah, and the Race of Ages and Chilly Castle tracks can go to hell, they have some of the most twisted tracks and tight corners I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

Dipped my toe into A Valley Without Wind, it's not what I was expecting, I'm enjoying it, but I certainly didn't expect resource gathering and settlement construction in this game.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 27, 2013

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

PowerBeard posted:

BEATEN: Sonic & All Stars: Racing Transformed
Yup, I beat this too (S-ranked all the World Tour and GP events, working on time attacks and just having fun online)- I haven't been able to put it down since I got it, it's incredibly addictive, the racers all feel pretty unique and varied, and the tracks are flat-out gorgeous. Awesome, wonderful game. I love Race of Ages, but Chilly Castle is an rear end in a top hat- I always get snagged in the ice caverns and I can make the last turn maybe 1 out of 20 times.

Also BEAT: Miasmata, which I did a long, boring write-up about in the other backlog thread. Loved it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, you have no obligation ot us to enjoy the exact same games we do. My apologies for jumping down your throat about Eversion before.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I nulled Eversion as well. The idea is novel but the controls are horribly floaty. I have to rock the keys back and forth to position myself above a platform but every tap seems to move you a few pixels too much. I don't even want to call Eversion a throwback to NES gaming because no (good) NES game I played controlled this poorly for a platformer.

10 minutes on youtube later and I saw everything I wanted to see, thank you.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Beat: Portal 2
I didn't think Valve would be able to top Portal 1 but they did.

Beat: Batman: Arkham Asylum
I don't really care for Batman games, but this one owns.

Beat: Ys Origin
I liked this game a lot more than Oath, so I'm glad I played Oath first. Played as Yunica, will replay as 3rd character later.

Beat: Borderlands 2
Surprised how much I liked BL2 considering I couldn't play more than two hours of BL1. Gonna do a NG+ once I pick up the Season Pass.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

DannyTanner posted:

Gonna do a NG+ once I pick up the Season Pass.

The Season Pass is 50% off on GamersGate:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BL2SP/borderlands-2-season-pass

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat a bunch of stuff.

Two last games in Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People. The last game was the best, if only because the humor was most familiar for me. Otherwise it seems to be Telltale in both good and bad. If you don't like the characters going in, the game sure as heck won't convince you otherwise.

Containment: Zombie Puzzler was a fun, short zombie surrounding game. Too many powerups and the core puzzle mechanic isn't quite strong enough to create addiction. Still, halfway into Act 2 the action got interesting. Wouldn't recommend anyone to actually buy this but it was in one of the indie packs that everyone has anyway.

Blueberry Garden. A half-hour romp in a small garden. Starts relaxing, ends up tense. Saying anything more would spoil it. Might be the first game that was too indie for my tastes, which is an accomplishment in itself.

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken. Except for one part where you stack boxes this was a cool, fun cartoon. Not too long, but better short and sweet anyway. Great music.

Nulled a bunch of stuff.

Bunch of Heroes is slow, poorly designed piece of crap. Play Crimsonland instead.

A.R.E.S. has been forever on the list of games I meant to beat. It's five levels long and I managed to complete 2 before sheer boredom overtook me.

Breath of Death VII: you know how everything in McDonalds has the same McTaste? This tastes like Zeboyd, and unfortunately it's not my thing.

Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops was the worst FPS I've ever had the displeasure of playing and this includes such gems as Rogue Warrior and some really awful Doom wads. Probably the worst game in my Steam account.

A whole bunch of Source-related multiplayer modes and betas: Yeah, no. I didn't find the multiplayer of Half-Life worthwhile even back in the day.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Beat: Dishonored
What a fun stealth game. This is a game designed to be broken in half. You get all these crazy powers like teleportation, and stopping time, and then you can just choose how to take out those guards. Getting spotted doesn't mean that much either, since you can be in another part of a level within seconds. With the time stopping power, I think you could clear many of the levels in a couple of minutes. If you feel like it. There's more than the action, though. If you take your time, there's a whole bunch of lore about this crazy whale-oil based society they have dreamed up. I hope Thief 4 takes some lessons from this game, yeah I went there.

I'm also well into the second campaign of Etherlords 2. It's one of those strategy games, where I can have a ton of fun while playing, but also get kind of irritated about all these things it could do a bit better. What makes it mostly work is that it blatantly rips off two fantastic games: Magic the Gathering and Heroes of Might and Magic. They got some things wrong, but not wrong enough to ruin the result. There's also an amazing amount of that special brand of game voice acting, where none of the actors know what the gently caress they're doing, nor do they care. Which is a plus for me.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Spec Ops: The Line. What the gently caress is wrong with you, Walker? The bit that really got to me was not using the white phosphorous on the refugees, it was when I gunned down the civilians who lynched Lugo. After I finished, I read the game's SA thread and discovered there was actually a choice in that second part. I felt like poo poo when I found that out.

COMPLETED: Bastion. My second playthrough, so I could make the other set of choices. It's still a brilliant game.

COMPLETED: L.A Noire. This is very much worth playing, and I loved it. Mini-review of each part of the game: The Street Crimes were very repetitive. Traffic is light and largely uncomplicated fun. Homicide will always leave you uneasy at the end of each case (appropriate, considering what real Homicide detectives go through) with a double dose at the end of the desk. Vice has the best cases and most entertaining partner in the game, but the groin-kicking at the end really hurts. Arson is mostly meh, with the Nicholson Electroplating case being the only really good part. The end of the game is a real let-down; the combat in L.A Noire is functional but rather boring, and they made the last case almost entirely gun-based.

COMPLETED: DLC Quest. It's a fun little platformer, but the satire kinda fell flat. Given that it's only $3, I'd say you should play this.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Spec Ops: The Line. What the gently caress is wrong with you, Walker? The bit that really got to me was not using the white phosphorous on the refugees, it was when I gunned down the civilians who lynched Lugo. After I finished, I read the game's SA thread and discovered there was actually a choice in that second part. I felt like poo poo when I found that out.

I did the same thing man. I used the underbarrel grenade launcher without even processing the implication. :smith:

Bioshock Infinite has put my backlog progress on hold but I will be returning to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory afterwards.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EightDeer posted:

Psst You can shoot in the air to scare them off. Judging by everyone's reaction, few posts I've read thought of this or did it. I shot the assholes as well.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

al-azad posted:

Spec Ops stuff

I didn't think to shoot into the air, but I did melee a woman which scared all the civilians off in the same way :smug:.

I think that scene's even more interesting than the one part everyone talks about, because it seems like most players get caught up in the moment and murder the civilians at the point where the game DOES give you the chance to avoid it. Especially if, like these posters here, they find out after finishing the game that that action was totally on them.

Edit: Actually, looking at the global achievement stats, it looks like 33% of players do fire on the civilians and 23% don't (compared to 50% of players who get the "beat the game" achievement). Pretty interesting.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 29, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat NyxQuest. This game was gifted to me sometime in the Winter Sale of 2010 (thanks Firien!) When I first tried it, the saves were bugged and you'd have to complete the whole game in one sitting if you wanted to do it. Played it for an hour, quit, noticed I lost my progress and proclaimed it crap.

Cleaning my Steam list I noticed I had this one. The saves were apparently fixed. Why not?

The game still isn't all that great, but it's not bad either. Level design is rather varied once you start getting interesting powers, the pace is mostly nice and I liked the theme of Greek ruins and desert. Out of twelve levels there was only one that was crap, and that was the stealth level. The final two levels made up for it in spades: there was a lot of action, checkpoints were at a suitable distance from each other and the game used all the cool stuff it had introduced along the way. Final fight was a disappointment, but at least it was short and easy.

Looks like the game was originally a Wii downloadable. Makes sense, some of the mechanics would probably work better with Wii controller (especially shooting which is just tedious with mouse).

If you have it in your game list, give it a go. There's worse ways to spend a couple hours.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Shear Modulus posted:

I didn't think to shoot into the air, but I did melee a woman which scared all the civilians off in the same way :smug:.

:master:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fake-edit: Figured this would be good to post here as well. Not sure how many of you lads recieve gifts, but lets find them some good homes!

Now I've been very fortunate and lucky when it comes to Steamgoons community, and over the years I've been gifted a fuckload of games by dozens of very generous goons. However the side effect of this is that now have an absolute massive backlog of games I still haven't played.

So the other night after evilmiera (AKA Syron on Steam) traded me a boatload of games to distribute via my Gifttank schtick and I got to thinking that I don't really play a lot of the gifts that I get as I'm usually busy with other games at the time and 'trying' to get through my backlog. To be perfectly honest that's really not fair to anyone. The Gifter 'wastes' money buying the game for someone who's not going to play it, I don't play the game for a very long time, and someone who would actually play it misses out.

So I created a Steam Group..

The TL;DR version of the Gift It Forward philosophy is simple. If you're a member, any game you are gifted you will forward onto someone who will actually play it instead of having it rot away in your Games Catalog.
This way you can focus on clearing your backlog, and a game you wouldn't have a chance to play will have found a home where it will.

Here are the ideals I've outlined for anyone wanting to become a member of Gift It Forward:
1.) You agree to accept all Games gifted to you into your Inventory, instead of your Game Collection. That includes games from your wishlist and even "that-$50-game-I-really-wanted!".
2.) You will then Gift It Forward and gift this game onto someone else. The manner in which you do this is entirely up to you, just make sure they are aware who originally sent the gift so you don't take the credit.
3.) Your aim should be to play through your Backlog of games until you have played nearly all of them. Try to aim for 90% of your games completed.
4.) Try to forward gifts onto people who have them on their wishlists, they're there for a reason!
5.) Only Gift games to members of the Something Awful Forums. You more than likely recieved the gift from a Goon, so it's only fair that you make sure it gets sent to a Goon!
6.) You may accept DLC, but try to only accept DLC for games you are actively playing. Everything else should be forwarded, be fair.
7.) For obvious reason I think it goes without saying, but don't send Gifts to other members of the Gorup.

These ideals are merely guidelines and while you should aim to adhere to all of them, you will not be removed from the group for not following them.
Just take 10 seconds out of your day before you accept that next gift. Are you really going to play it soon? And aren't you already playing through umpteen other games right now?

Do the right thing. Gift It Forward. :gifttank:
You can always buy it for yourself when you have the money.

So a big Thanks to everyone who joins this group and accepts the Gift It Forward philosophy into your big fat neckbeard hearts.

Steam Goons.
Best Goons.

:siren::gifttank::siren: Membership is invite only, but any member can invite. :siren::gifttank::siren:

So yeah.. starting today I will no longer accept gifts if I recieve any, and instead I will ensure they find themselves good homes.

Shamelessly stolen from the Gift Thread

EDIT: Any I suppose I'll be signing up for this later today as well :v:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 29, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Gift It Forward. :gifttank:
That is an awesome idea and I'll have to remember it for the future.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Dungeons of Dredmor - Going Rogue, Permadeath, No Time To Grind, with all three expansions. Posted about it here, for people interested in Dredmor character builds and whatnot.

At some point I may return to it and try to beat it with a caster or a randomly generated character, but I'm shelving it for now in favour of...

Now Playing: Dishonoured - my wife got this for me shortly after it came out, but I decided it might be best to hold off on it until after I graduated. And now I've graduated! So I'm playing it, and so far it is excellent. I have missed

StoryTime posted:

Beat: Dishonored
What a fun stealth game. This is a game designed to be broken in half. You get all these crazy powers like teleportation, and stopping time, and then you can just choose how to take out those guards. Getting spotted doesn't mean that much either, since you can be in another part of a level within seconds. With the time stopping power, I think you could clear many of the levels in a couple of minutes. If you feel like it. There's more than the action, though. If you take your time, there's a whole bunch of lore about this crazy whale-oil based society they have dreamed up. I hope Thief 4 takes some lessons from this game, yeah I went there.

Dishonoured feels a thousand times more like Thief than Thief 3 ever did. They'd better. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DannyTanner posted:

Beat: Ys Origin
I liked this game a lot more than Oath, so I'm glad I played Oath first. Played as Yunica, will replay as 3rd character later.

Just curious, why a lot more? I like them both pretty much equally with Oath slightly nudging out Origin just because I found Yunica kind of annoying and level design wasn't as interesting.