Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

nerdz posted:

Daily lives of high school boys got an update, and apparently none of these are in the anime or OVA!

Hmm! While an excellent manga and a hilarious anime, Daily Lives doesn't quite fit here, and I think it's best if it'd be posted in the Misc. Shounen thread instead. It mostly lacks that one absurd element. For example, Ryushika barely fits just due to the extensive surreal imagination sequences, as does Angel Densetsu just because of the fact that the hero looks like a monster from Claymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Rodyle posted:

One fine and upstanding gentleman on /a/ decided to bring a certain series, called Sakamoto-san Desu ga, to the English internet's attention.

http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/81176597/#81176597

It's only the first chapter, but he posted the raws and definite interest was expressed by other anons. And you're really going to want to read that one chapter.

edit: to elaborate, it's the tale of the most fabulous man this side of Jojo/Code Geass.

This one is my new favorite.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

This one is my new favorite.
And speaking of /a/ doing good things, a dear tripfriend has taken up the task of translating Ran And the Gray World, or as I call it "Yotsuba the Witch and the evil bugs."

It's one of those series that I saw a few chapters of awhile ago and, lacking much information about publications and such, just forgot about, but what I'd seen was amazing.

Here's the original translator
kotonoha.monkey-pirate.com/2011/01/12/ran-to-haiiro-no-sekai/

And here's the current guy
http://prettyanonymo.us/?cat=12

He also does Centaur's Worries, which I suppose you could argue fits this thread too, but I can't say I'm a fan so I won't comment much on that.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 27, 2013

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Rodyle posted:

He also does Centaur's Worries, which I suppose you could argue fits this thread too, but I can't say I'm a fan so I won't comment much on that.

Fairly sure Centaur's Worries was mentioned a bit earlier in the thread. I actually think it's a pretty imaginative manga that has the absolute worst first chapter a manga has ever had. It makes you think the whole thing is going to be creepy talk of centaur vaginas and dumb psuedo-lesbianism like that but it settles down a lot from that point on. I would recommend anyone wanting to try it just skip the first chapter entirely.

Also been meaning to read Ran And the Great World but haven't gotten past the first chapter yet.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Checking out Centaur's Worries, it's pretty interesting. Ignoring the fact that the original doujin chapter is a total abomination, you can tell the author really tried to think through implications and tie things together. 6 limbs being the norm instead of 4 is pretty neat.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Honestly my issue with CW doesn't have anything to do with the original chapter (although that was terrible), it's just not that interesting to me in general. Art's really nice and it can be quite cute though.

Ran and the Gray World's amazing though, the art sort of reminds me of Nagai's stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DrSunshine posted:

Hmm! While an excellent manga and a hilarious anime, Daily Lives doesn't quite fit here, and I think it's best if it'd be posted in the Misc. Shounen thread instead. It mostly lacks that one absurd element. For example, Ryushika barely fits just due to the extensive surreal imagination sequences, as does Angel Densetsu just because of the fact that the hero looks like a monster from Claymore.
This is your thread and all but the lives of highschool boys will always be absurd. I mean, why do they even go on living?

Once again, the wind is restless...

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I will always appreciate new content featuring Literature Girl :allears:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Rodyle posted:

And speaking of /a/ doing good things, a dear tripfriend has taken up the task of translating Ran And the Gray World, or as I call it "Yotsuba the Witch and the evil bugs."

It's one of those series that I saw a few chapters of awhile ago and, lacking much information about publications and such, just forgot about, but what I'd seen was amazing.

Here's the original translator
kotonoha.monkey-pirate.com/2011/01/12/ran-to-haiiro-no-sekai/

And here's the current guy
[url]http://prettyanonymo.us/?cat=12[/url

Wow, thanks for sharing it. Wasn't expecting Outarou to continue being so relevant, but it's taken an interesting direction. Is it up to date now or are there other chapters to be translated?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
From the "Recommend a manga" thread:

Popehoist posted:

Bumping this to let you guys know this manga has been confirmed for an anime:

coathat
May 21, 2007

It better be 15 minutes an episode tops.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I imagine it'll be one of those 3-5 minute series, which should work really well for the source material.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

YES. That's awesome. Though I hope it'll be a series of short skits (like 3 per) in 24-minute episodes.

The URL on the cover doesn't work. :smith:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

DrSunshine posted:

YES. That's awesome. Though I hope it'll be a series of short skits (like 3 per) in 24-minute episodes.

The URL on the cover doesn't work. :smith:

Same, I don't even bother watching any of the 3 minute shows. Something akin to how Squid Girl was animated would be best.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Wow, thanks for sharing it. Wasn't expecting Outarou to continue being so relevant, but it's taken an interesting direction. Is it up to date now or are there other chapters to be translated?

I've no idea, sorry.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Full length episode would get boring fast considering that the set up for each chapter is pretty much identical.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
This is some of the best news I've ever heard. All I need now is for Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer and Oresama Teacher to get anime and I will never need another anime again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And to celebrate the news

New chapter:dance:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's just like everyone says: Always the same formula, but what a funny formula it is! :D

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I think that was the cutest chapter of anything I've ever read. :allears: I love it when Yokoi gets directly involved.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think that was the cutest chapter of anything I've ever read. :allears: I love it when Yokoi gets directly involved.

One of these days it'll be Yokoi who initiates the special project and Seki who gets drawn into her pace. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

One of these days it'll be Yokoi who initiates the special project and Seki who gets drawn into her pace. :allears:

Who would win, Seki or Luffy?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DrSunshine posted:

Who would win, Seki or Luffy?

Luffy wins in a fight, Seki wins in any given game.

Both out-his-pace Doflamingo.

EDIT:

Holy gently caress, I LOST IT when Yokoi whipped out the mirror polished desk mat from chapter 3 to end the zombie threat forever. Talk about a well-earned victory.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 2, 2013

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Hey! There are new chapters of PSI boy Saiki Kusuo released this year! They are amazing.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Saiki-Kusuo-no-Psi-Nan

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

New Seki-kun!

Blah blah monsters, blah blah abyss, blah blah staring back at you.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mary Annette posted:

New Seki-kun!

I hope Seki and Yokoi never become an actual couple, as Gotou's imagination is as hilarious as Yokoi's imagination.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

JosephWongKS posted:

I hope Seki and Yokoi never become an actual couple, as Gotou's imagination is as hilarious as Yokoi's imagination.

Gotou's shipping goggles are indeed far funnier than an actual relationship would be.

I kind of like the flow of this manga in that Yokoi started as the audience surrogate, but as she's gradually grown more in-synch with Seki and his weird little world, Gotou has appeared to be the new audience surrogate.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mary Annette posted:

New Seki-kun!

:allears: Each new chapter always gives me a big stupid grin by the end.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Well, it looks like the last chapters of Daily Lives of Highschool Boys have been translated. Enjoy.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New adventures of Donyatsu - http://mangafox.me/manga/donyatsu/v01/c007/1.html

The contrast between the ultra-realistic post-apocalyptic landscape vs those frigging pastry-cats continues to be the most surreal thing. I don't think I've ever experienced as much visual whiplash in any other manga or anime series.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Thank you for recommending Sumire 16 Sai. It has to be one of the funniest mangas I have ever read. Reaction gags and slapstick never get old for me. I keep going back to reread it and I still laugh every time the old man gets pegged in the head or nearly dies from overexerting himself. Please tell me there are more mangas out there like this.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 13, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Paperweight posted:

Thank you for recommending Sumire 16 Sai. It has to be one of the funniest mangas I have ever read. Reaction gags and slapstick never get old for me. I keep going back to reread it and I still laugh every time the old man gets pegged in the head or nearly dies from overexerting himself. Please tell me there are more mangas out there like this.

That's what this thread is for!! You might want to try thread favorite Next to Seki-kun for more outlandish everyday gags.

Also: Oh man, the latest chapter of Donut Cat! Looks like the gear-shaped pig is gonna be the Mysterious New Character. If it was any less of a manga, it'd show up the next day as the Mysterious Female Transfer Student! But it's not, it's a pig shaped like a gear. I wonder what he tastes like?

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
I read the first couple of chapters of Next to Seki-kun and it didn't do much for me. It doesn't have enough physical comedy or violence to make me laugh. Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Haré+Guu (mentioned earlier), and Dai Mahou Touge are some of my favorite anime shows that hit all the marks for me. Too bad their mangas only have a few chapters translated and were dropped. The Daily Lives of High School Boys was pretty decent.

Edit: I'm starting to like The Wandering of Girls' Group No. 7. It's just weird enough to suit my taste. It's like a two person version of Nichijou set in the near future or something.

Edit 2: Hinamatsuri is good as well.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 14, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hmm... how about I'm Sakamoto, You Know? It's about a stereotypical pretty boy being absurdly good at everything. EVERYTHING. Also, a new chapter of this was just uploaded.

Or how about The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki?

Hinamatsuri might also suit your tastes quite well.

EDIT: Haha! Sakamoto strikes again!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 13, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Paperweight posted:

I read the first couple of chapters of Next to Seki-kun and it didn't do much for me. It doesn't have enough physical comedy or violence to make me laugh.

You might enjoy Katteni Kaizo. It's a comedy about a high school boy who is convinced that he's a cyborg. Though the author is better known for his later work Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Kaizo contains less of the social satire that Zetsubou is known for, and relies more on slapstick comedy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp, Sakamoto seems to be an alien.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Since this seems to have been the go-to place for discussing Daily Lives of High School Boys, apparently it's getting a live-action movie?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Omniphile posted:

Since this seems to have been the go-to place for discussing Daily Lives of High School Boys, apparently it's getting a live-action movie?

DrSunshine posted:

:geno:

Look, I really reeaaaaaallly hate to be "That Guy", it's not my thing to be Mr. Authority, but I would love it for this thread to keep on topic and not devolve into the "General Slice of Life Manga" thread. It was something I was kind of afraid might happen at some point, and I think it's important to stress that the stuff we share here should have some sort of surreal gimmick.

It really can go in the Misc. Shonen thread now that the original thread is gone!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Suddenly a Flying Witch appears :
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Flying-Witch/Ch-002--Wayside-Grass-is-a-Panacea?id=161932

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Holy crap that is a good comic. Is it being serialized then? Seems like it's been ages since chapter one came out.

• Locked thread