Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomkat
Jul 23, 2007

Tom Cruise <3 Katie Holmes.
Katie Holmes <3 Tom Cruise.
:yaycloud:

Livingston posted:

I got LASIK surgery on Friday. Byebye contacts and glasses!

I totally want to do this at some point in my life but I'm afraid that
1. I'll go blind.
2. I'll freak out during the surgery and flail my body around.

I just spent $80 on Bioshock Infinite and the DLC Season Pass

I absolutely love Bioshock (yes, even the second one). The way the first two presented the story not only in the plot but also in environment, atmosphere, and audio logs was captivating. I remember listening to an audio log (in the first one?) about the doctor using mind control to force a kid to kill a puppy; it made me instantly sad. But it wasn't some cheap trick to add "edginess" to the game. It added to the already very grave tone of the game and was congruent with the big reveal with Andrew Ryan.

Bioshock Infinite looks like a breath of fresh air. Not only because it is based on a city in the sky and not in the totally opposite idea of a city underwater, but the fact that it is a brand new city. Rapture was an amazing city filled with spectacle and character, but that sense of awe is a bit dulled when playing Bioshock 2. We had already been there. Columbia, however, looks to offer us the same sense of awe in a new city and no doubt new concept and character.

Also worth to mention the fantastic reviews Bioshock Infinite is getting across the board. I normally don't support DLCs and especially "season pass" deals, but Irrational Games has proven to be worth my support and money. Still, 80 bucks on a game hurts. Now if only I can find time to play it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Bought this from woot just before the sale ended last week:

I have a thing for maps (my living room is dominated by a six by ten foot world map I got from National Geographic), and Piet Mondrian, so this was too good to pass up.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

gettin in on this

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Got a new iPad. 32gig wifi, though I probably should have just gotten the 16 gig.

Smart Case

And A/V adapter

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

kells posted:

Boyfriend got this:

So pretty :3:

We are picking up one of these in Dec after they come out with the 2014's, how do you like it?

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

Tomkat posted:

I totally want to do this at some point in my life but I'm afraid that
1. I'll go blind.
2. I'll freak out during the surgery and flail my body around.

I had those same worries, but they told me no one has ever gone blind from it, so I asked what the worst case scenario is, and they said basically a bad infection, which shouldn't happen if you use your drops afterwards like you're supposed to. Also, the laser readjusts 400 times per seconds for any movement you make, and then if you go beyond a certain threshold the laser will automatically stop.

That said, the procedure itself is pretty uncomfortable, but not painful. It's all over in like 3-4 minutes though.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Livingston posted:

I had those same worries, but they told me no one has ever gone blind from it, so I asked what the worst case scenario is, and they said basically a bad infection, which shouldn't happen if you use your drops afterwards like you're supposed to. Also, the laser readjusts 400 times per seconds for any movement you make, and then if you go beyond a certain threshold the laser will automatically stop.

That said, the procedure itself is pretty uncomfortable, but not painful. It's all over in like 3-4 minutes though.

I had it done 4 years ago, and the worst thing during the procedure was the smeel of burning hair, when the laser burned the layers off your eyeball.

Of course it was pretty cool to wear a Clockwork Orange eye thingy.

Afterwards, was a different story, I woke during the night with a serious pain my eye (had only one eye done at a time), but that went away when I used the eyedrops, and a sleeping pill I was given.

Went from -13 on my left eye, to -2.75, and on my right eye from -11 to -1.25.

It was worth it!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bought the Opiate rerelease. Why? I don't really know.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kidney Stone posted:

I had it done 4 years ago, and the worst thing during the procedure was the smeel of burning hair, when the laser burned the layers off your eyeball.

Afterwards, was a different story, I woke during the night with a serious pain my eye (had only one eye done at a time), but that went away when I used the eyedrops, and a sleeping pill I was given.

It was worth it!

Oh god I couldn't imagine having eyesight like your original numbers. Uncorrected I'm -1.5 in each eye, and that's blurry enough for me at times. :magical:

Speaking of optics, just bought this:

Once again got a great deal on a used lens on Fred Miranda. Goddamn that site is bad for my wallet.

Currently have a Sigma 70-200 2.8, but the AF is a bit slower than I prefer, and I don't need that fast of a lens. Decided to sidegrade for a lighter lens with better AF.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice lens. When you gonna replace it with a 2.8?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Nice lens. When you gonna replace it with a 2.8?

Probably never. Next upgrade when I get the money down the line will probably just be the 100-400L instead. Looking at Lightroom, none of my shots with my current 70-200 are shot faster than f/3.5, so I don't think I'm gonna miss f/2.8.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Heard these guys on a podcast, immediately bought album.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

kells posted:

Boyfriend got this:

So pretty :3:

I really like these cars. I see one on my commute home sometimes and it's a matte charcoal grey color :swoon: I wish I could own a tiny fun sporty car but I know I'd be uncomfortable in it due to my height and I wouldn't be able to fit the things I often need my xB for. I'm driving my wife's Fiesta at the moment while my car is in the shop and my god, it's not a car made for me.

CONTENT:

Tax refund is coming in. Time to pay off a bunch of debt and buy some records I've been wanting.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

david puddy posted:

gettin in on this

Mine should be waiting for me when I get home, according to the package tracking.

Man, how's you get one with such pretty box art, though? I got the special edition one, but it's just that same artwork of the main character with a gun over his shoulder.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh god I couldn't imagine having eyesight like your original numbers. Uncorrected I'm -1.5 in each eye, and that's blurry enough for me at times. :magical:

Speaking of optics, just bought this:

Once again got a great deal on a used lens on Fred Miranda. Goddamn that site is bad for my wallet.

Currently have a Sigma 70-200 2.8, but the AF is a bit slower than I prefer, and I don't need that fast of a lens. Decided to sidegrade for a lighter lens with better AF.

That is one sharp-rear end lens.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Mine should be waiting for me when I get home, according to the package tracking.

Man, how's you get one with such pretty box art, though? I got the special edition one, but it's just that same artwork of the main character with a gun over his shoulder.

The cover is reversible.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah, my eyesight was pretty lovely.

Anyways, didn't really buy it, but was given an old Canon EOS 1d Mark 1 - actually looking forward to get something "new" to play aroudn with.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I bought 252 copies of this book (Last Stand, an RPG I wrote):

and then bought a shitload of packing supplies to mail them out to people. Shipping is expensive and I can't wait to be done with fulfillment so I can let Amazon handle all the orders. It's weird having so many copies of my own book sitting around.

I've also got a copy of this coming (Characteristics of Games)

because there aren't many good books about designing games and hopefully there's something worth reading in there.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Mikan posted:

I bought 252 copies of this book (Last Stand, an RPG I wrote):

and then bought a shitload of packing supplies to mail them out to people. Shipping is expensive and I can't wait to be done with fulfillment so I can let Amazon handle all the orders. It's weird having so many copies of my own book sitting around.

I've also got a copy of this coming (Characteristics of Games)

because there aren't many good books about designing games and hopefully there's something worth reading in there.

Who did the cover?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Fellow goon George Cotronis, who's done some really nice stuff for other games and is working on Apotheosis Drive X now.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

3,150 square feet of loft space in a former book warehouse and cold-storage facility. 503 is brick and wood with 12ft ceilings and will be private living space, 502 is concrete with 14ft ceilings and will be studio/gallery/ruckus space. It should be ready by the end of the year.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

I just hit the 20% mark and it's really drat fun, except for the wolves.

I'd also post the shirt I got, but there doesn't seem to be a picture of it available online.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kidney Stone posted:

It was worth it!

That's about where I am right now. How much did it cost?

I figured this would happen to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fSj6LxsZes

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Mean Bean posted:

We are picking up one of these in Dec after they come out with the 2014's, how do you like it?

I haven't driven it, but as a passenger I'm impressed. Deceptively big inside, seats are comfy, and there's plenty of room for people in the back seat. And since we upgraded from a early 2000s Holden that was falling apart the keyless ignition is still a novelty!

Boyfriend was initially looking for a sportier car (Toyota 86) but there's a long wait for those here. The Veloster is sort of a compromise car for us - it has the sporty look he wanted while being more practical than a two-door sports car (hatchback means we can move poo poo around, extra door means no climbing over seats).

I Might Be Adam posted:

I really like these cars. I see one on my commute home sometimes and it's a matte charcoal grey color :swoon: I wish I could own a tiny fun sporty car but I know I'd be uncomfortable in it due to my height and I wouldn't be able to fit the things I often need my xB for. I'm driving my wife's Fiesta at the moment while my car is in the shop and my god, it's not a car made for me.

My boyfriend is about 190cm and he fits in the Veloster fine, you can move the seats down and back pretty far.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

Kidney Stone posted:

It was worth it!

They couldn't get you to normal vision?

I've considered doing it but I've been wearing glasses since 7th grade. I think I'd feel like my face looks weird without them.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I try to push my glasses up on my face even when I don't have them on. :(

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Finally have my Iron Man :3: Just need Nick Fury and Black Widow.

Oh and tattoos for my gf's Shin and my full forearm (It's so nuuuuuuuuuuuumb and swollen)

squarerandom has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Mar 27, 2013

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I bought Mr. White.

gypsycabdriver
Apr 19, 2007

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Also bought Daryl from "The Walking Dead"

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

Also bought Daryl from "The Walking Dead"

FUCKIN WHERE?? Pm if you can, but I need this.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

squarerandom posted:

FUCKIN WHERE?? Pm if you can, but I need this.

https://www.citizenbrick.com They're $20 a piece but I guess I've got more money than sense. I have a curio cabinet I keep a bunch of random stuff in and that's where it's going.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

https://www.citizenbrick.com They're $20 a piece but I guess I've got more money than sense. I have a curio cabinet I keep a bunch of random stuff in and that's where it's going.

Oh gotcha, we have a little town with mostly just vehichles and ships and superhero and movie city. Batman is always chillin with Hulk and stormtroopers.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Waiting on it to show up still but I bought a reprint triple LP of Music by Cavelight by Blockhead.

And I was in NYC and picked up some new shoes.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

Bought some small succulents to give my living room some life. Thankfully, according to Google, they are not poisonous so my cat can freely eat them if she would like. Any day now.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's about where I am right now. How much did it cost?

I figured this would happen to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fSj6LxsZes

Mine was $3980. There were 4 year and 5 year financing options available.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is a reeeeeeally good album. One of my favorite of the year so far. Good choice!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition

New optical cable. I'm pretty stoked that it's only 10 bucks, the last one I bought (about 7 years ago) was around $50.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This is a reeeeeeally good album. One of my favorite of the year so far. Good choice!

Is that new Bonobo? I'm seeing his full-band set on May 1st, all kinds of excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nur_Neerg posted:

Is that new Bonobo? I'm seeing his full-band set on May 1st, all kinds of excited.

Yeah, and I'm very jealous of you now :ohdear:

Enjoy! That should be a blast.

• Locked thread