Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

I think there were bits of it that were pretty good and interesting, and I loved reading about how different countries dealt with the crisis in different ways.

On the other hand there is an extensive chapter where a fat computer nerd from Japan finds a sword and magically becomes a master of sword-zombie killing.

I always hear that part brought up, and yes it is pretty dumb, but it's such a small part of the overall book that I can't understand how someone could let that bring the rest of the book down for them.

Should have just adapted the book into a miniseries on HBO or Showtime.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Shallow, circumspect take on culture as seen from the Krusty Burger map.

Care to expand on this? I have no idea what exactly you mean by this especially the Krusty Burger map reference. It has been awhile since I've read the book and maybe my opinion of it would change if I read it now at 26 years old vs reading it in 2006. All I remember is it was a fairly interesting book of a reporter traveling the world and collecting stories of how people survived. Some stories were better than others, but that's the stuff you work out when you ADAPT the material.

I don't have a problem with them making a Brad Pitt and The Running Zombies movie, but it's dumb to call it WWZ given that it appears they are using just about zero of what made the book interesting.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The reason that books like Studs Terkel's "Working" and Mischa Glenny's "McMafia" are excellent books is because they're impeccably researched, giving the interview subjects respect to tell their stories in the former and the willingness of the author to immerse themselves in actual research to translate into "creative nonfiction". Apply this to Mark Bowden, or whoever else you're familiar with or prefer reading.

Now take all that away, and instead use glib stereotypes to tell your sweeping journalistic epic. It's like a Thomas Friedman book about zombies.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I give WWZ a pass because the Yonkers stuff was really well done, but man do I agree with that 100%.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Now take all that away, and instead use glib stereotypes to tell your sweeping journalistic epic. It's like a Thomas Friedman book about zombies.

The next 6 months will show us whether a decent outcome is possible against the undead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Warday is a young adult novel but it is far better written than WWZ.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not a national spot, but we just did a fun little promo for our film festival here in Jackson, MS.

I came up with a concept we shot it in 2 nights after hours at a local diner and I did the editing and non-sound post (that logo design is NOT mine).

We had a great crew of like 10 volunteers busting their rear end til 3 am each morning.

View in 1080.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHuUv-az3qg

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BonoMan posted:

Not a national spot, but we just did a fun little promo for our film festival here in Jackson, MS.

Dude, this was loving awesome. I just did very similar work for a film festival here in England. The concept was given to us by the festival, and I basically worked for a day with no budget to make three ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsJTbKPsfpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBrz-g2uRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5mV0jjhbXk

Yours puts mine to shame, I'm very impressed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PriorMarcus posted:

Dude, this was loving awesome. I just did very similar work for a film festival here in England. The concept was given to us by the festival, and I basically worked for a day with no budget to make three ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsJTbKPsfpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBrz-g2uRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5mV0jjhbXk

Yours puts mine to shame, I'm very impressed.

Thanks and don't sell yourself short! I think you placed them in order of my favorite. And to be fair while we all donated our time, we had a full 10 ton full of equipment and a full crew (for the most part...) so we were starting with an advantage.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pain & Gain redband trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2CgE4achk

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Soooo... that turned into "Saints Row 3: The Movie" pretty drat quick.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
The "Armageddon" to Olympus has Fallen's "Deep Impact", White House Down, has a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekireB_P-U0

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Man, Emmerich really does not like the White House.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
After he had an Aircraft Carrier riding a tsunami destroy it in 2012, I thought he'd gotten this out of his system, but I guess not.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Haha this looks incredible.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

God this is gonna rule.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Some of the humor looks kinda cringeworthy, especially the bits with the roommate from Bridesmaids, but overall that definitely looks like a blast and worth it for Wahlberg and The Rock alone.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
WOLVERINE teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ER59i8u_Vs

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Fixed.

Pain and Gain looks amazingly trashy. Like Spring Breakers with muscleheads directed by someone who probably does believe what he’s making is absolutely “loving Awesome”. I can't wait to see it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have no doubt Michael Bay 129% believes that this is loving Awesome.

Because it is. Loving the Thrift Shop remix they used.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

The "Armageddon" to Olympus has Fallen's "Deep Impact", White House Down, has a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekireB_P-U0

God I wanna see these so badly.

I've been anticipating Pain & Gain for the longest time, and I actually just read the original article the movie's based on earlier today. The cast is amazing and "I'll be your stepfather in about a week" is a perfect Wahlberg line.

And regarding White House Down: Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum vs. Aaron Eckhart and Gerard Butler? No competition. White House Down wins.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Has anyone worked out who the bad guys are in White House Down yet?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

Has anyone worked out who the bad guys are in White House Down yet?

That trailer seems to imply that its domestic.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

I've been anticipating Pain & Gain for the longest time, and I actually just read the original article the movie's based on earlier today. The cast is amazing and "I'll be your stepfather in about a week" is a perfect Wahlberg line.

Having also read the original article, it's a little jarring to see a story about how two sociopaths tortured a guy for weeks to get his life savings adapted into a slapstick action-comedy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

live with fruit posted:

Having also read the original article, it's a little jarring to see a story about how two sociopaths tortured a guy for weeks to get his life savings adapted into a slapstick action-comedy.

I don't mind it being a comedy or over-the-top. As horrifying as the torture and murder, there are some very, very darkly funny aspects to the story. The only thing that really irks me is that they're using Lugo and Doorbal's real names. If they wind up being the pieces of poo poo they really are then I'm down with their names being kept...but if they're represented as some kind of down-on-their-luck guys who broke bad it'll probably bug me.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

live with fruit posted:

Yeah, though the last minute revelation in those articles does make the movie's concept seem a lot less egregious than it did when I was halfway through. The real events were such farce that I don't mind it being a comedy either. LesterGroans is right though, it sucks they kept their real names.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

muscles like this? posted:

That trailer seems to imply that its domestic.
"The president is surrounded by thousands of American militia, I need help, NOW!"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If the NRA is the bad guy that movie will be hilarious.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The president is black. That's enough reason for any American terrorist.

Edit: The president is the descendant of notorious white-people-killing Django Freeman. The terrorists will be lead by Don Johnson and Jonah Hill.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm so stoked for Pain and Gain.

As for White House Down, as I understand it, the bad guys are a rogue paramilitary group.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

I don't mind it being a comedy or over-the-top. As horrifying as the torture and murder, there are some very, very darkly funny aspects to the story. The only thing that really irks me is that they're using Lugo and Doorbal's real names. If they wind up being the pieces of poo poo they really are then I'm down with their names being kept...but if they're represented as some kind of down-on-their-luck guys who broke bad it'll probably bug me.

Based on the trailer (which, admittedly, is next to nothing), it seems like they're playing the Schiller character more antagonistic and the torture more comical.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

International trailer for The Wolverine just dropped this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzZP-_Ssc

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

MatCauthon posted:

International trailer for The Wolverine just dropped this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzZP-_Ssc

While I can't say it looks "good", it does look decent.

For comparisons sake here's the trailer for X-Men Origins: Wolverine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPmbGzQaOCs, which looks a lot more flashier.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
I think the Wolverine trailers look pretty good, at least Hugh Jackman will probably be fun in it.

Apart from the scenes with Rebel Wilson, this looks fantastic.

So either this or Fast and Furious 6 (probably Fast & Furious), The Rock is going to be in the best movie this year. I can't wait.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Based on the trailer (which, admittedly, is next to nothing), it seems like they're playing the Schiller character more antagonistic and the torture more comical.

Which is fitting, since Schiller was a white-collar criminal.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

Which is fitting, since Schiller was a white-collar criminal.

Why does that make it fitting?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
America really hates white collar criminals right now.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Well, aside from the solid chunk of America that sees white-collar criminals as literal gods who cannot be touched by us mere humans and have every right to trample us.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

WickedIcon posted:

Well, aside from the solid chunk of America that sees white-collar criminals as literal gods who cannot be touched by us mere humans and have every right to trample us.

Pretty much everyone hates white-collar criminals, because they live nicer lives and catch way less flak than other criminals. There's a solid chunk of America that doesn't view some of the shady-as-gently caress business as crime at all, but in a movie where you can easily establish that this rich guy is a piece of poo poo the crowd will gladly side with the underdog pieces of poo poo.

At least that's the theory. I thought the plot sounded like a pretty standard dark comedy, though knowing it's actually based on true story seems a tad grim to me. Seems like they could have kept that detail quiet and the movie wouldn't have suffered for it. But based on the general lack of notoriety these guys have (or more importantly that it is a dumb Michael Bay film that shall never be taken seriously), I'm not sure it will matter.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Real-life spoilers, subject to change in the film: Schiller stole 14 million dollars from Medicare patients. He definitely does not deserve sympathy. Schiller's a piece of poo poo, Lugo and pals are just terrible idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mark Wahlberg being Mark Wahlberg and Denzel being Denzel?

I'm sold on it.

• Locked thread