Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

I think I've now got a versatile lens setup that should see me through anything, though I'm still going to be tempted by the Pana 42 1.2 when it comes out!

I'm already tempted by that lens even before it comes out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

ease posted:

I'm late to this train, but I'd say get the 5r. You get better AF and wifi (which is kinda gimmicky but things like on camera time lapse is kinda neat), a dial and an FN button.

I got the 5R, it was actually the same price as the 5N. The FN button and wifi sold me. I can't wait to use it.

Thanks goons!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Out of the several photographers that I know that routinely shoot for money - they've all gone from last year wondering why I had a gimmicky X100 to "how do I afford one of these, they're really cool?"

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Everybody who asked how much my x100 was (because they wanted to buy one) was like holy poo poo thats expensive for a point and shoot. I just say that yeah it is.

I prefer using it over my 5d2 and 35 1.4 L for daily stuff though, and for that, it's well worth it.

e: But I'm heavily considering selling my 5d2, 35L, xpro1, and some other stuff. I don't shoot very much and my x100 will be more than enough for 90% of my shooting.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Rontalvos posted:

The internet groupthink on the dpreview and fuji-x series forums seem to suggest that X100 cameras with serial numbers starting with 21 and up, sticky aperture problems are non-existant/extremely rare.

FWIW my 1-year old 21 SN camera has had no problems and it's not been babied at all. V:shobon:V

I am in the same boat as you, with a 21A SN and over 5k shots fired without an issue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My L39-NEX adapter showed up today. For like the five dollars I spent, shipped, I am sufficiently pleased with it. The "L39-NEX" text doesn't really line up with the top of the camera and it looks kind of weird like that but I'll end up just blacking it out anyway I think. Other than that it seems to fit my Industar-26 just fine. Looks like it's sturdy and fits well, which is all you can ask from a $5 adapter from hong-kong.

I just need a small allen key so I can loosen the adapter and adjust it so the top of the lens matches up with the top of the camera.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Cacator posted:

Nobody I've met considers it a gimmick camera. But the issue is that people have no idea how to work it unless I give them explicit instructions.

HELP HOW DO YOU ZOOM THIS THING

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I don't think anybody ever considered the Konica Hexar, Contax T series, Leica Minilux, etc. to be gimmick cameras. High-end P&S have been a thing forever.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
What makes the X-100 a "point and shoot"? Just because you can't change lenses? It's no more "P&S" than a DSLR shot in "Auto" or even "P(ro)" mode. It has full manual controls so I hardly put it in the P&S category.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's really just a colloquialism I think. People see a small thin body and a short stubby lens and just assume it's one of those $120 Nikon coolpix whatevers that you get at BestBuy which has perma-P-mode enabled.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

What makes the X-100 a "point and shoot"? Just because you can't change lenses? It's no more "P&S" than a DSLR shot in "Auto" or even "P(ro)" mode. It has full manual controls so I hardly put it in the P&S category.

I don't know, is there a better name for it? I don't consider "point and shoot" to be a bad thing. It's not an SLR, it's not a TLR, it's not a rangefinder, it's not fixed focus, it's not scale focus. I guess you could call it a view camera, but the same could be said about just about any digital P&S. The other cameras I mentioned have manual modes too, but they're generally considered to be P&S. I'd even consider a Contax G a P&S. I'd rather just call it a P&S than invent yet another acronym that nobody knows and nobody can agree on.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its a "hybrid."

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
A point & shoot camera has minimal controls. You literally just point it towards your subject and press the shutter. A better term that dates back to the film days is to call the smaller, advanced cameras "compacts" instead of lumping them in with cameras that require no thought to use.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

I don't know, is there a better name for it? I don't consider "point and shoot" to be a bad thing. It's not an SLR, it's not a TLR, it's not a rangefinder, it's not fixed focus, it's not scale focus. I guess you could call it a view camera, but the same could be said about just about any digital P&S. The other cameras I mentioned have manual modes too, but they're generally considered to be P&S. I'd even consider a Contax G a P&S. I'd rather just call it a P&S than invent yet another acronym that nobody knows and nobody can agree on.

Well advanced fixed-lens cameras like the RX100, RX1 and X100s are relatively new in the history of digital cameras so I think it will take some time before a better term is established for them, much like how point & shoot was used commonly to refer to the old basic Coolpix/Powershot/Cybershot cameras.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cameras fall in two categories: cameras for normals and cameras for spergs.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Point-and-Sperg.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Having just taken my camera on a long business trip, I now feel that 14mm is great as an 'always get stuff in' lens, but much too wide for a lot of photos.

I guess it is time to seriously consider the 20mm 1.7 (if I feel rich) or the Sigma 19mm 2.8 (if I feel poor).

What's a good portrait lens? the kit 14-42 would be okay, but f5.6 is just too goddam slow.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

spog posted:

Having just taken my camera on a long business trip, I now feel that 14mm is great as an 'always get stuff in' lens, but much too wide for a lot of photos.

I guess it is time to seriously consider the 20mm 1.7 (if I feel rich) or the Sigma 19mm 2.8 (if I feel poor).

What's a good portrait lens? the kit 14-42 would be okay, but f5.6 is just too goddam slow.

The Olympus 45mm 1.8 is great but also not massively expensive.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EvilRic posted:

Absolutely this. Fantastic lens.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

DJExile posted:

AMEN. There's no need to even have an M4/3 camera if you're not getting THIS LENS.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Some of us already have 50/1.4's to slap onto the front of their cameras. :colbert:

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Some of us already have 50/1.4's to slap onto the front of their cameras. :colbert:

Fair statement, that does truly have to be the toughest m4/3 decision there is, deciding between the pana-leica 50 and the oly' 45 - they're both pretty much watershed lenses for the system.

on a different note, I am the US ambassador to poor impulse control - this is what happens when you spend 7 months sidelined by a knee injury instead of out taking photos:

Obsessive by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

:hawaaaafap:

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 29, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I took the 5N out shooting yesterday. The photos I took were fairly pedestrian and actually really boring, but god drat when viewed at web size even underexposed ISO6400 looks beautiful out of this bad boy. There is definitely grain when viewed 1:1, and it's actually a really fine grain that doesn't detract from the photo. When viewed at web resolutions I would swear that the grain is invisible.

Hard to describe, but needless to say it makes shooting 1/30 after dark much much easier.

It's weird shooting with a rear-LCD-only camera though. Part of me was self-conscious about it for some reason, but the fact that the camera is goddamn tiny is really really pleasing. Once I get back into the habit of shooting photos I think I'm going to be much happier with my results, and my camera is definitely not going to be what's holding me back.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

The NEX grain is really pleasing and has a very film-like quality on its' own, you almost don't need to toss on any film simulation at all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

krackmonkey posted:

The NEX grain is really pleasing and has a very film-like quality on its' own, you almost don't need to toss on any film simulation at all.

That was my first impression as well.

This 6mb 1:1 JPEG is basically RAW out of camera with whatever Lightroom 4 applies by default:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58959/test.jpg

I think it does some chroma noise by default? I'm PRETTY sure that out of camera RAW isn't that uniform in noise colour at least. But yeah, I have absolutely zero problems with that noise considering I'm shooting 1/30 in a dark train station lit only by a handful of lamps. Supremely pleased.

edit: Yes, I know it's a poo poo photo otherwise :tipshat:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Sweet pixels, mate.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

krackmonkey posted:

Fair statement, that does truly have to be the toughest m4/3 decision there is, deciding between the pana-leica 50 and the oly' 45 - they're both pretty much watershed lenses for the system.

on a different note, I am the US ambassador to poor impulse control - this is what happens when you spend 7 months sidelined by a knee injury instead of out taking photos:

Obsessive by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

:hawaaaafap:

Just you wait until I get my Leica M. Then we'll see who has less self-control.

Dat fukken RX1...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

EvilRic posted:

One of the rare lenses that breaks the old saying of "cheap, fast, good: pick any two" - because it is all three.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

EvilRic posted:

DJExile posted:

krackmonkey posted:

AMEN. There's no need to even have an M4/3 camera if you're not getting THIS LENS.

alkanphel posted:

One of the rare lenses that breaks the old saying of "cheap, fast, good: pick any two" - because it is all three.

I am detecting a theme here....

Maybe if I get the 45mm to go with my 14mm, then I won't need to buy a 19/20mm

(who am I kidding)

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
Has anyone tried the Sony 12-200 E-mount power zoom with a NEX body? I'm participating in a 48 hour film festival in a few weeks and thought it might be interesting to rent for a few days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

I am detecting a theme here....

Maybe if I get the 45mm to go with my 14mm, then I won't need to buy a 19/20mm

(who am I kidding)

If you think the 14mm is too wide, you could probably sell it easily and get the Lumix 20mm f/1.7. It's a fantastic walk-around.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got a few accessories recently

This one is for XE1 owners. Hard screen protector.

This is the right size for the XE1 screen. The height matches and its only 1-2mm wider than screen.
It has thick foam/double sideed tape to raise the protector a bit, plus good seal to prevent dust. Cheap from ebay, I recommend.

2. Thumbs Up Grip

Originally a Leica accessory. The generic bootleg ones are getting alot cheaper now.
XE1's shutter button is way too close to the palm position. Without this its very hard to take picture single handed. This adds minimal bulk for huge ergonomic improvement.

3. Tripod Mount straps

Originally I was trying them for an easier duel wielding solution. They worked so well I am going to use them to replace the regular straps now. To sum up the reasons: easier to let my belt and shoulder share the weight of heavier gears; less intrusive when shooting; naturally drop to the side even when I don't have time to put the gear back to belt bag.

The first is a 10 dollar strap that I got from ebay. I have seen a few cheap alternatives outside of the hilariously expensive stuff from Spider Hostler. The second one is the base of a hand strap I re-purposed as a tripod mount strap. I use it with heavy lens because it pushes my hand further out and make the camera easier to grab.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

If you think the 14mm is too wide, you could probably sell it easily and get the Lumix 20mm f/1.7. It's a fantastic walk-around.

Well, it's more that I don't particularly like 14mm as a walkaround lens: the distortion and excessive foreground aren't to my taste. however, 5-10% of my general photos need the extra width of 14mm and 20mm would mean my missing out on certain shots. As you know - you can always crop in, but not out.

I personally love 60-80mm equiv as a focal length, but it's not suitable as a walkaround lens.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

Well, it's more that I don't particularly like 14mm as a walkaround lens: the distortion and excessive foreground aren't to my taste. however, 5-10% of my general photos need the extra width of 14mm and 20mm would mean my missing out on certain shots. As you know - you can always crop in, but not out.

Oh, that's fair then.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The takumar SMC 35/3.5 is am awesome awesome lens when adapted.

So sharp and pretty and nice to use.

PIXELPEEPTEST by MrDespair, on Flickr

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

Oh, that's fair then.

I am considering your suggestion though: the 14mm is a lens that shoots 100% of the scenes, but is only ideal for ~20% of them and poor for ~50% of them.

Maybe it is better to have something that it ideal for 50% of them and cannot work for 10% of them.

Or whatever, I should buy more stuff....

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Are there any other wide/uw lenses out there like the Zeiss 21mm that have a hard stop at infinity focus? That's extremely useful for the type of shooting I do, and I never knew that it actually existed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Helicity posted:

Are there any other wide/uw lenses out there like the Zeiss 21mm that have a hard stop at infinity focus? That's extremely useful for the type of shooting I do, and I never knew that it actually existed.

There's a ton of manual lenses that you can get with a hard stop (my voigtlander 15mm has one), BUT the issue is with the adapters. If they aren't perfect (and alot of the cheap 10 dollar ones aren't) then you'll skip past it.

Fixable with shims and some patience, or you can just pay extra for a really well made adapter.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That's a good point with the adapter - who makes good ones? I have a Fotodiox, but I feel like it doesn't match up with one my Taks very well and they have ignored several email questions from me. My Taks and my Minoltas don't have the hard stop, so I was wondering if there was a cutoff year or something, or certain brands that I could look more deeply into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Helicity posted:

That's a good point with the adapter - who makes good ones? I have a Fotodiox, but I feel like it doesn't match up with one my Taks very well and they have ignored several email questions from me. My Taks and my Minoltas don't have the hard stop, so I was wondering if there was a cutoff year or something, or certain brands that I could look more deeply into.

My 35/3.5 takumar has a hard stop at infinity, I think most of m;y SMC-M pentax lenses to too, .

That said the two brands of "nice" adapters I always see are Fotodix Pro and Novoflex (which is the real high end option). If I was shooting for a job and wanted to adapt I'd probably get one of the novoflex ones, they look like solid one piece units instead of the two piece 10 dollar ones.