Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Argue posted:

Yeah, I guess I should qualify that. Would be easier if there was a time travel filter on Netflix. Offhand, I've seen Primer and Timecrimes, Safety Not Guaranteed, some movie called Repeaters, and the other movies I had in mind aren't actually available on Netflix.

Edit: I've also seen Quantum Leap and Sliders

Time After Time, which features HG Wells vs. Jack the Ripper, streams for free to Amazon Prime members, if that's an option.

Netflix has From Time To Time, which I found searching for the above. It's a terrible-looking British production starring the kid from Danny Boyle's Millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior
I didn't see this mentioned yet, but if anyone is looking for a dark comedy series I highly recommend Snuff Box. It's a British sketch comedy series staring Matt Berry (Mighty Boosh/ The IT Crowd) and Rich Fulcher (The Mighty Boosh). Think of an incredibly dark and incredibly British take on The Kids in the Hall and make it all flow together from skit to skit. It really is about as epic as any sketch comedy format can get. Pretty much my favorite show ever. It's a real shame they only made 1 season (6 episodes).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775400/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Looks like we're losing Trailer Park Boys on the first. That sucks. I love marathoning that series every few months.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nimrod's Son posted:

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but if anyone is looking for a dark comedy series I highly recommend Snuff Box. It's a British sketch comedy series staring Matt Berry (Mighty Boosh/ The IT Crowd) and Rich Fulcher (The Mighty Boosh). Think of an incredibly dark and incredibly British take on The Kids in the Hall and make it all flow together from skit to skit. It really is about as epic as any sketch comedy format can get. Pretty much my favorite show ever. It's a real shame they only made 1 season (6 episodes).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775400/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It's perfect the way it is, more TV should follow that format of making one season then shutting the gently caress up unless they have good ideas to make a second season out of.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's perfect the way it is, more TV should follow that format of making one season then shutting the gently caress up unless they have good ideas to make a second season out of.

I really can't argue with this at all. Too much of a show and they end up getting bogged down and lovely. 6 episodes. Another series if it's good. Then maybe a Christmas special. Tell your story and get out.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Ohvee posted:

Looks like we're losing Trailer Park Boys on the first. That sucks. I love marathoning that series every few months.

Dammit, I've been working through from the beginning because I've never seen it before. Currently on Season 4 having just seen "The Green Bastard" With any luck it'll stay on Canadian Netflix or something since I can change between libraries easily enough.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crappy Jack posted:

I really can't argue with this at all. Too much of a show and they end up getting bogged down and lovely. 6 episodes. Another series if it's good. Then maybe a Christmas special. Tell your story and get out.

Yup. And I say this as someone who loves Matt Berry and just crack up looking at him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just noticed an old favorite is up:

Series 7: The Contenders - a fake reality-show that's Battle Royale/Hunger Games with adults and not set noticeably far into the future. It hasn't held up perfectly, but is still a drat good watch.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Looks like a lot of new stuff has been put up, really excited about Holy Motors, my roommate saw it (playing at a museum) recently and said it was really good.

The entire series of The L Word is up. A guilty pleasure I have seen every episode of. I think it was actually a really good soap opera for the first three seasons...I think I started watching it back when it was airing because some of the same writers from Six Feet Under worked on it and I was obsessed with SFU.

Lot of people talking about Bernie on here recently and I finally watched it even though I have a reaaaal hard time with Jack Black's schtick...but it isn't present in this film. It was a pleasant surprise! I like black comedy and this was a pretty well-written character study of a likeable oddball killer you just have a hard time disliking.

Unfortunately, I just watched The Comedy. I really wanted to like this because I like Tim and Eric well enough and thought they'd do well in a more somber environment. And the acting was really good; Tim Heidecker's performance was really believable...unfortunately just about every character in the film is a reprehensible hipster scum and though I get that the film was satirizing that, I didn't really see the point. Oh, and the scene where Tim's character just watches his coworker have a seizure went on for way too long and made me physically uncomfortable, and I'm pretty jaded when it comes to squicky stuff on camera. Speaking of films that make people uncomfortable, watch Compliance. I rented this a few weeks ago because I remembered the story in the news back when it was current. I watched it with my girlfriend and she was incredulous about the truthiness of the story it was based on but it's actually pretty faithful to what actually happened...at least according to what I read on wikipedia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jack Black's schtick was very present in Bernie, he sings for like 40 percent of the time he's on screen.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Well gosh, I just don't know!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jack Black's schtick was very present in Bernie, he sings for like 40 percent of the time he's on screen.

That's true to life for Bernie Tiede though. Like saying Jim Carrey's schtick was present in Man on the Moon because he did comedy.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

forever whatever posted:

Unfortunately, I just watched The Comedy. I really wanted to like this because I like Tim and Eric well enough and thought they'd do well in a more somber environment. And the acting was really good; Tim Heidecker's performance was really believable...unfortunately just about every character in the film is a reprehensible hipster scum and though I get that the film was satirizing that, I didn't really see the point. Oh, and the scene where Tim's character just watches his coworker have a seizure went on for way too long and made me physically uncomfortable, and I'm pretty jaded when it comes to squicky stuff on camera.

That's the point. It's a dark, nihilistic satire of Judd Apatow style comedies, from what I gather.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Fayez Butts posted:

The answer is always often

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Squid Girl is a pretty funny, cute, light anime with surprisingly good English dubbing. All those puns.

As far as films, looks like not only is Jarmusch's amazing Dead Man up (has been for a while I think) but his recent (and similar in tone) The Limits of Control is now up! It's excellent.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Fayez Butts posted:

Well obviously 'never' since it's not on Instant Streaming. :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Fayez Butts posted:

Since you have a pulse, and therefore must have watched The Good Guys, the answer should at least be Sometimes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What happens if you miss a payment and then reactive the account? Does it just take a single payment, or back date any months you've missed?

Basically I'm wondering if missing a direct debit can be used as a way to suspend my account without running up a bill.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

What happens if you miss a payment and then reactive the account?

Nothing. You always pay in advance, so you never get charged for months you missed.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Argue posted:

I'm trying out Netflix for the week. Now that I'm done with House of Cards, What are some good time travel or horror movies? I've seen all the well-known time travel movies, and as for horror, Re-Animator is the only thing I've tried so far (and Grave Encounters, heh).

If Time Crimes is still on Netflix, you should watch that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fayez Butts posted:

I want to meet the insane person who works for Netflix and thinks that people really base movie-watching decisions around which movies feature leads with Cool Moustaches.

That's like saying that if someone really like Lars and the Real Girl, then surely they'll love River's Edge and Hard Ticket to Hawaii because both feature "Love Dolls".

I don't know, maybe there's something to this...

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Tewratomeh posted:

I want to meet the insane person who works for Netflix and thinks that people really base movie-watching decisions around which movies feature leads with Cool Moustaches.

I'm pretty sure it's just a joke, like how they recently listed all the fake Arrested Development shows.

That said, I support anything that ups the chances of getting La Moustache back on streaming.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Just a reminder that Cartoon Network/Adult Swim shows are supposed to go live this weekend! I'm totally pumped to catch up on some Adventure Time and Metalocalypse.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Just a reminder that Cartoon Network/Adult Swim shows are supposed to go live this weekend! I'm totally pumped to catch up on some Adventure Time and Metalocalypse.

YES! Regular Show too! Fiance is going to love them too or DIE TRYING.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just caught the Fourth Kind, and I think it's better than what I was expecting. The gimmick of found footage compared against traditional movie-making is a really interesting one, though I think that more could be done with it than happened there.

It's kind of an aimless movie, but also kind of a good recreation of some Lovecraftian themes and plot elements, underscoring the horror of the unintelligible, unfathomable forces at work behind the scenes in our universe by providing "documentary footage" that gets distorted all to hell and only provides hints of something terrible happening just behind the static and distortion. The interviews with the psychologist really underscored the incomprehensible hopelessness of her situation, left to cope with an experience that she couldn't understand that literally destroyed her body and her mind. The saddest thing is when she meekly mumbles about needing to keep hope alive that she'll see her daughter again while at the same time we see that she's in a wheelchair and probably won't live much longer. Her situation is so obviously hopeless at that point, and she seems not even to believe what she's saying--especially the part where whatever possessed her body couldn't have been God because it also felt nothing but hopelessness. The obvious answer of course is that she's just learned the truth of what God is: a hopeless rampaging beast whose true nature causes insanity and suicide wherever it's discovered.

I do have a question for anyone who saw it: at the end, when the psychiatrist is speaking with the alien presence, it says something about a child not being returned. Was it saying that its own child was never returned to it (ie it's speaking as God the Father and referencing the crucifixion of Christ), or was it saying that her daughter would never be returned to her (ie flat-out telling her that her situation is hopeless and should end in suicide like everyone else's)? Either claim would make sense in the context of the film--or is it just perfectly ambiguous, a message that we can't even understand sent by an incomprehensible agent working from unknowable motives?

Overall, even though the movie's not great, it's interesting enough to give a watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was more or less my response to The Fourth Kind; not great, but there was enough there to keep me interested. Not bad.

An old cult favorite of mine popped up earlier: Loaded, a New Zealand movie about some college kids who want to make a horror film at an old house, and decide to take acid. So it's sort of like Gothic, only better in some ways and not as good in others. I used to love it, but full disclosure, I haven't seen it in years.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Loaded/60023178?trkid=7013607

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Anyone in here who hasn't seen The Fall (2006) really needs to before it's taken off on April 1. It is by far one of the most cinematographically beautiful movies I've seen in a long time, and the story/acting are excellent.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Gonna be Aqua Teen Hunger Force-ing it up all weekend long

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
So one thing I really love about Streaming is the sudden and inexplicable appearance of films starring A-list actors that have gone directly to the home video market. They just added The Factory, a serial killer thriller starring John Cusack and...well, he's pretty much the only name actor, unless you count Dexter's Jennifer Carpenter playing--wait for it--a cop.

The synopsis is incredibly generic, but the movie takes a couple of chances that makes it somewhat worthwhile in a time-killing, instantly-disposable B-movie kind of way. Apparently, it was filmed in 2007 (financed by Warner Bros. and produced by Joel Silver) and sat on the shelf for six years.

I don't recommend it, but I don't not recommend it. Cusack fans and serial killer genre fans: it won't be the worst thing you've ever had to endure. (That'd be The Raven, for the record.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What happened with John Cusack anyway, does he need to make child support or support a drug habit so he just takes pretty much anything that crosses his path regardless of how terrible it looks?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

priznat posted:

What happened with John Cusack anyway, does he need to make child support or support a drug habit so he just takes pretty much anything that crosses his path regardless of how terrible it looks?

This might have something to do with it. He's been a working actor since he was 17, though, and it's not like he has a wide range. He probably just takes the work he can get.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

When this weekend? That is awesome news.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

When this weekend? That is awesome news.

Tomorrow. http://www.streamingsoon.com/ has a comprehensive list of shows and dates.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Oh poo poo, between Squidbillies and Delocated this is gonna be a fun weekend.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Looking forward to catching up on Children's Hospital, Delocated and The Venture Brothers.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Also looks like The Frankenstein Theory is popping up tomorrow.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

foodfight posted:

Also looks like The Frankenstein Theory is popping up tomorrow.

Nice, I will definitely be clearing a space for this bad boy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sadly Saul of the Mole Men appears to have been left out of the deal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I see "But I'm A Cheerleader" is going up, too, wedged in all the Bond stuff. That's a really great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

I see "But I'm A Cheerleader" is going up, too, wedged in all the Bond stuff. That's a really great movie.

It has its flaws, but I consider it to be one of the best "queer cinema" movies available. Without spoilering anything, the social commentary therein is blunt but scathing in that Idiocracy kind of way.

• Locked thread