Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

Why not pin the blame on the colossal failure that FF14 was? Or how Lightning was put on every single piece of promo and box art for 13-2 and then Square reveals, SHE'S NOT THE PROTAGONIST which cost them a lot of sales there to.

poo poo, Final Fantasy 13 has moved fewer than 5 million copies worldwide, keeping in mind that it's been $20 for the last two years. Tomb Raider's primed to beat that by the end of the year without including the Japanese market at all.

It's really clear to everybody but Square-Enix who the breadwinners at Square-Enix are these days, and it's a shame there's still so much East/West cultural baggage in the industry in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

poo poo, Final Fantasy 13 has moved fewer than 5 million copies worldwide, keeping in mind that it's been $20 for the last two years. Tomb Raider's primed to beat that by the end of the year without including the Japanese market at all.

As of September 20, 2011 FFXIII sold 6.2 million units. I don't know if Tomb Raider will ultimately outsell FFXIII. It was probably much cheaper to develop though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Winks posted:

As of September 20, 2011 FFXIII sold 6.2 million units. I don't know if Tomb Raider will ultimately outsell FFXIII. It was probably much cheaper to develop though.

I stand corrected, though you're also probably right about development costs.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know what just happened, but I think I like it.

EDIT:

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 27, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Any word on when the DlC will be available on PSN?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

checkstock posted:

Around 4 years and considerable change in one incarnation or another.

It's certain they were freaked by the negative reactions after the first couple of demonstrations and trailers and
made some cuts to tone down the game. It's really obvious in the beginning of the game but the probably cut a bunch of stuff
later as well. I'm especially talking about the blonde woman who is a sacrifice, and Sam being kidnapped in front
of Lara (which made much more sense). The blonde and the DLC tomb are even in the unlockable concept art!

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Winks posted:

Those numbers for Tomb Raider are only the physical copies sold. It doesn't include the version sold be Steam/Amazon/etc for some stupid reason.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Tornhelm posted:

Those numbers for Tomb Raider are only the physical copies sold. It doesn't include the version sold be Steam/Amazon/etc for some stupid reason.

That's because those numbers aren't reported. Apparently it's not in the interest of digital distributors to report sales figures and share the information.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

notZaar posted:

That's because those numbers aren't reported. Apparently it's not in the interest of digital distributors to report sales figures and share the information.

Square still gets money per copy sold through digital retailers. Even if they've signed an agreement not to disclose hard figures (which seems silly to me because we get bites of data about sales on stream pretty often from random publishers) they know how it is affecting the bottom line and they can at least give some general guidance. Ignoring them all together to help build their thin scape goat is stupid.

E: better word choice

Winks fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 27, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, guys: how long until these ludicrous business practices burst the bubble? I swear, Aliens:CM did it for me, personally, but I mean world-wide.

I just hope it doesn't stop good games from being made altogether in the meantime.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

So, guys: how long until these ludicrous business practices burst the bubble? I swear, Aliens:CM did it for me, personally, but I mean world-wide.

I just hope it doesn't stop good games from being made altogether in the meantime.

Its already starting to burst, the market is unsustainable if they keep going like this, they need to reign in costs, or make smaller games during the year then a big one when the time is right.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Winks posted:

Square still gets money per copy sold through digital retailers. Even if they've signed an agreement not to disclose hard figures (which seems silly to me because we get bites of data about sales on stream pretty often from random publishers) they know how it is affecting the bottom line and they can at least give some general guidance. Ignoring them all together to help build their thin scape goat is stupid.

E: better word choice

Well clearly S-E knows how many copies of the game they've sold, in total. I was just responding to the comment about published sales figures.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

morsanlgeos posted:

EDIT:

RAIDER 7

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

morsanlgeos posted:

EDIT:

Yeah this started happening during the GB Quick Look. I think it looks rad as hell.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Uh, where specifically do they say Tomb Raider is below expectations?

Last I checked, they just said "some properties" were. It was obvious at the time that meant the FF MMO and the FF series in general ( and a bunch of other things on the Square side of things. ). I know a few people in the SE thread started saying this must mean TR/Sleepy Dogs/Hitman, but was that ever sourced?

Hell, didn't we already do this dance? A few months ago Sqaure mentioned they were having some issues with a few key franchises and everyone thought they meant Sleepy Dogs. It wasn't until Square/United Front came out and said no, Sleepy Dogs did amazingly well, we are talking about FF here did it simmer down.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rookersh posted:

Uh, where specifically do they say Tomb Raider is below expectations?

Also

quote:

Square Enix expected 14.9 million retail game sales from North America and Europe combined in its six-monthly forecast last September. Considering the fact that Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs were the only big releases for these regions and accounted for a combined 8.75 million sales worldwide, it's clear that their targets were a good deal higher.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 27, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

They should fire their marketing department then. Both Hitman and Tomb Raider had disastrous campaigns, and I think Sleeping Dogs kind of fell under the radar.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

morsanlgeos posted:

EDIT:

I think it's pretty obvious that Lara took a bunch of LSD to cope with poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Groetgaffel posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that Lara took a bunch of LSD to cope with poo poo.

More likely those mushrooms she had for breakfast weren't what she thought they were.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Renoistic posted:

They should fire their marketing department then. Both Hitman and Tomb Raider had disastrous campaigns, and I think Sleeping Dogs kind of fell under the radar.

They shouldn't fire anyone and are just grasping at straws to throw Squarenix US under the bus for any reason. 3.4 million isn't considered poor selling by anyone in the industry by any stretch of the imagination.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Orgophlax posted:

They shouldn't fire anyone and are just grasping at straws to throw Squarenix US under the bus for any reason. 3.4 million isn't considered poor selling by anyone in the industry by any stretch of the imagination.
True, really their forecasting people are the ones who should be fired. There are entire teams of people who are supposed to do research and figure out how many units they expect to sell of any game. Based on those forecasts the company gives out their numbers they predict they'll make to shareholders and anytime a company fails to meet those goals it's not good.

So they really need to fire their finance people who can't forecast for poo poo, but sadly because they were so far under their numbers I have a feeling it'll be some other people who get fired to make up the difference.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I realize it isn't poor. I'm actually surprised they've sold that well. I've bought and enjoyed most games in the TB franchise (including this one) but I was seriously put off by the marketing. The only reason I pre-ordered was because I trusted Crystal Dynamics wouldn't gently caress it up.

You are right, though - with those sales figures I guess the marketing people did something right. Blaming the US side is a drat joke considering how badly they are managing their Japanese brands, with the possible exception of Dragon Quest.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Renoistic posted:

What? I can understand maybe Tomb Raider, but Hitman sold more than any other game in the series other than Hitman 2. It even beat out the often held high Blood Money, which amazingly enough, barely broke a million.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

What? I can understand maybe Tomb Raider, but Hitman sold more than any other game in the series other than Hitman 2. It even beat out the often held high Blood Money, which amazingly enough, barely broke a million.

I think he was referring to Hitman: Absolution's marketing campaign, which was indeed disastrous. I am surprised it sold so well though, I was incredibly disappointed by Absolution.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Does anyone know if there's a way to disable the auto center on the camera? Google isn't helping.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wengy posted:

I think he was referring to Hitman: Absolution's marketing campaign, which was indeed disastrous. I am surprised it sold so well though, I was incredibly disappointed by Absolution.

Well, Hitman: Absolution's marketing campaign featured a incredibly misogynistic sequence of the player character brutally killing assassins dressed like sexy nuns. Tomb Raider's marketing feature somewhat exploitative scenes of the player character being brutally killed. I'm pretty sure that the disturbing truth is that the average game would rather murder sex objects than be one getting murdered. The fact that Lara is more than just a sex object in the new game only works against her as far as the lowest (and most) common denominator is concerned.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
You can buy Tomb Raider on the EU PSN store for £20 right now. That's a great price for anyone who hasn't picked it up yet.
I bought the PC version and I'm still considering buying it!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Tooling around after you beat the game can be fun. I came across a goon trying to get under a building in Shantytown while his buddy watched him:

:mad: If you are hiding under there you better come out, girl!
:byodood: Is it the Outsider?! Did you find her?
:ohdear: What? No, I lost my pet rat, Sprinkles. Help me look for her.

Makes you feel bad emptying a clip into that adorableness.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 1, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I managed to catch the end of the terrible 3rd Blade movie (Blade Trinity) and I can't help but think Lara's clothing design was at least partially based off of Jessica Biel.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I managed to catch the end of the terrible 3rd Blade movie (Blade Trinity) and I can't help but think Lara's clothing design was at least partially based off of Jessica Biel.

Since when is trousers and a tank top an uncommon enough combination that you can say it was inspired by any specific character/actress/movie?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Party Plane Jones posted:

They were actually influenced by The Descent 1/2:

There are even in-game scenes referencing it - like the river of blood:

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I just started this game. Pretty amazing so far. I'm a bit miffed with my system and this game. I had a bug right at the start when I took control of Lara where when looking in one direction cause half the screen to be white-blueish. Hope it doesn't happen to often.

I was able to max everything in 1920x1200 with 45+FPS but even with quite lower details, as soon as I touch the TressFX hair quality setting, my FPS turn to poo poo under 30fps. I updated my nVidia drivers and I guess Steam has the latest Tomb Raider patch? I'm a bit miffed I can't use it since I turned it off at first and was thrilled with the way it looked!

Was it Palpek in the Steam thread pimping this game with screenshots? Whoever you are it's because of you that I bought this game! I had a 10$ credit on GMG from SimCity pre-order (such a letdown) and with a weekend sale on GMG I was able to get it for 27$ which is a pretty sweet price in my opinion on a new release.

I searched the thread a bit but didn't go through it too much because I don't want to spoil myself.

Pretty!

Hemish fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 7, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Palpek posted:

They were actually influenced by The Descent 1/2:

There are even in-game scenes referencing it - like the river of blood:

Only because my "pants + tank top" design patent was rejected by the US Patent Office. Thanks Obama!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just beat the game for the second time, only this time I noticed that the boss on the Endurance carries a stuffed bunny doll just like the one you can find on Shipwreck Island. That, combined with the prisoner in the geothermal caverns who talks about his kids, made this game quite a bit creepier. I enjoy finding "hidden" stories like this, though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hemish posted:

Was it Palpek in the Steam thread pimping this game with screenshots? Whoever you are it's because of you that I bought this game! I had a 10$ credit on GMG from SimCity pre-order (such a letdown) and with a weekend sale on GMG I was able to get it for 27$ which is a pretty sweet price in my opinion on a new release.
Yeah it was me. I really think it's one of the best recent singleplayer games...

...that just received another lovely multiplayer mappack:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/208814/?snr=1_4_4__103_1

I haven't seen anybody mention it yet so there it is. 2 maps for $4 - this is again Activision level of bullshit.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
It might be Activision levels of bullshit if there was a playerbase to split.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Or it cost $15.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea 4 bucks ain't bad, no that anyone even plays the multiplayer.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Just beat the game with 100%. I never do that usually. I'm not talking about achievements because nothing will ever let me be interested in them in singleplayer games.

One of the best games I played in the past few years. It suffered too much from shaky cam but I could get past it unless I was running uninterrupted for a while. 20 hours playthrough taking my time exploring every corner.

Too bad that we don't know if we'll have a second one and even if we do, it'll be years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good news folks, Steam is offering the japanese language track of TR on Steam, it will go on sale on april 25th.

http://www.destructoid.com/japanese-language-pack-for-tomb-raider-costs-another-30-251446.phtml

Can be yours for a mere 30 dollars.

I understand Squeenix is having financial troubles but good lord. :psyduck:

• Locked thread