Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Genderfluid posted:

http://blog.widp.de/medien/click-the-squares-am-laboratory

is there any app that's a sound generator like this?
I can't get your link to work but I think it's a thing like this?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rj.processing.plasmasound

e: also try searching for "sequencer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Genderfluid posted:

I got something called nodebeat from amazon aotd once that was kind of like this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...m9kZUJlYXQiXQ..

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I can't get your link to work but I think it's a thing like this?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rj.processing.plasmasound

e: also try searching for "sequencer"

Step sequencer if you want to be precise (not that that means it'll help you in the wilds of the play store though)

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Genderfluid posted:

Here's a few I found searching for "tenori":

Melody
MusicGrid
Miniseq
Sonorox Sequencer

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Anyone play an instrument? Want a poo poo-hot chromatic tuner on your phone so you can tune-up demo instruments before giving them a go, impress people at parties by telling them what key they're whistling in and so forth? Want one that's also got a big goddamn pile of other nice-looking visualisations that can help you spot stuff like your ukulele's action being off and generally have other people look at your phone saying "oooh, shiny!"?

I've been using PitchLab since getting a ukulele at Christmas and if I wasn't so frugal about the phone battery, I'd completely forgo a clip-on tuner for it, it's that good.
It's listed as a guitar tuner, but it's got profiles for most stringed instruments, and you can add just about anything else by defining a custom instrument.

Whoever the author is, they're drat good to get all it does in under 300k and bloody generous - it's completely free, no ads, no nothing.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Radnor posted:

There's a 2-week Humble Mobile Bundle up now: https://www.humblebundle.com/

Anomaly Korea
Bladeslinger
Contre Jour
Metal Slug 3*
Plants vs. Zombies
The Room*

* Pay more than the average to unlock these two games.

Soundtracks are also included in the price.

I really only play phone games in short bursts (like, 2-3 minutes), any of them good for that?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Plants vs zombies is sort of a tower defence game where you fight off a few waves each round, those are about the right length of time (although the later rounds get a bit longer and crazier). I played the first Anomaly and that's... also kind of tower defence, so same deal. I think it has checkpoints you can resume from too? And The Room looks like a puzzle game so yeah

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What was the flashcard app that's been recommended?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

I really only play phone games in short bursts (like, 2-3 minutes), any of them good for that?

I've really enjoyed Contre Jour over the past hour or two. It'll work for 5 minute sessions if you like puzzles. You won't get them all that quickly, but it remembers your place very well.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

hooah posted:

What was the flashcard app that's been recommended?

AnkiDroid?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yup, that was it. Thanks.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
What weather apps do you guys use? I used to have the wetter.com app but tried out the new accuweather and weatherbug apps yesterday. They both look a lot nicer than the wetter.com app. I settled for weatherbug but I'm still kinda on the fence because every weather site/app shows different temps/forecasts.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Genderfluid posted:

If it doesn't need to have that zen quality, Caustic is a fantastic synth/stepsequencer app. No ads in the demo, you're just not allowed to save, though it does remember the current state between closing and re-opening.

Great bit of fun and certainly also worth the few bucks the ask for the full version.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

bronin posted:

What weather apps do you guys use? I used to have the wetter.com app but tried out the new accuweather and weatherbug apps yesterday. They both look a lot nicer than the wetter.com app. I settled for weatherbug but I'm still kinda on the fence because every weather site/app shows different temps/forecasts.

Personally, the UK Meterological Office official app. Might not be the prettiest, but it's the only one that'll give forecasts down to small town levels.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

bronin posted:

I keep trying every new weather app that's released but I always go back to WeatherBug. It's one of the first apps I installed on my first android phone years ago. WeatherBug uses the weather information gathered from weather.gov (NOAA) which for me has always had the most accurate forecasts. Everything else I've tried might have some cool gimmicks or an awesome interface but they use the weather channel or accuweather, neither of which I've ever found to be very accurate.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Been using Eye In Sky for the widget, it's got a really nice clean look for a simple desktop. OneWeather I think it's called has a very nice looking and robust app if that's more what you're going for.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

bronin posted:

I use Accuweather. The UI got much, much nicer when they redid their app a few weeks ago. I find it to be pretty accurate, but I would expect no less as I live in the same town as the Accuweather headquarters.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Kerbtree posted:

I've been using PitchLab since getting a ukulele at Christmas and if I wasn't so frugal about the phone battery, I'd completely forgo a clip-on tuner for it, it's that good.

I play trombone and viola, and this has replaced my usual stand-alone digital tuner. I can see what my vibrato is doing, adjust a glissando, watch overtones (great when trying to match alternate positions/fingerings)...

It's amazing. Musicians need this.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I use weather bug elite and love it. Tons of information. The ui is okay but once you get used to it, it's easy to use.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Is there an app that will let me launch a program (XBMC) on my computer from my phone?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Sobriquet posted:

Is there an app that will let me launch a program (XBMC) on my computer from my phone?

Unified remote

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

z06ck posted:

I use weather bug elite and love it. Tons of information. The ui is okay but once you get used to it, it's easy to use.

Maybe I'm missing it, but what's the difference between free and elite in this case? Will it remove the ads in the separate-download widget?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I am still really impressed with the Accuweather update, but I think their layout feels a bit cramped on a phone.

On my nexus 10 though, it's amazing.

The most amazing though though is actual functioning weather radar now. Nearly every single weather app utterly and completely falls apart on this point.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

effika posted:

It's amazing. Musicians need this.

Thank you for this.

I just tested it using an mp3 on my computer and earbuds held up to the mic on my phone. Just a simple bass riff over a drum beat, and it was able to track the riff. Very cool.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else who's running Apex been having a lot of redraws lately? I don't know why, but I I get one 9 out of 10 times when I hit the home key.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The best Android weather app continues to be BeWeather. It's gorgeous, the widgets are awesome, and you can turn off individual weather alerts that you don't want to get. The amount of customization that it has is amazing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweatherfree&hl=en

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That sidescrolling fuzzy rainbow thing is pretty sweet for singing, thanks!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

AnimalChin posted:

I keep trying every new weather app that's released but I always go back to WeatherBug. It's one of the first apps I installed on my first android phone years ago. WeatherBug uses the weather information gathered from weather.gov (NOAA) which for me has always had the most accurate forecasts. Everything else I've tried might have some cool gimmicks or an awesome interface but they use the weather channel or accuweather, neither of which I've ever found to be very accurate.

Well I wasn't the one asking but this has sold me on WeatherBug. Seattle has insanely finicky weather and I've find NOAA forecasts are the best after watching several forecasters over a couple years. I just didn't know if there was a NOAA-sourced app. So thanks!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Splizwarf posted:

Maybe I'm missing it, but what's the difference between free and elite in this case? Will it remove the ads in the separate-download widget?

I think ad removal is the only benefit, yep.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That's worth it, I mostly wanted to make sure I could get rid of the ad before picking up the widget. Thanks!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Frozen-Solid posted:

The best Android weather app continues to be BeWeather. It's gorgeous, the widgets are awesome, and you can turn off individual weather alerts that you don't want to get. The amount of customization that it has is amazing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweatherfree&hl=en

This is what I'm still using also, radar is great, and it uses Wunderground's forecasts and data so I get readings based off a station in my neighborhood.

Yesterday http://forecast.io launched which is a site from the creators of the excellent iPhone Dark Sky app. Well worth bookmarking on your phone also, utterly beautiful animated precipitation maps and hyperlocal forecasts based on aggregating many sources and all kinds of predictive statistical wizardry.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
I'm also still using BeWeather and recommend it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I prefer Weathert Live. I like the way it looks, and the lockscreen widget has a lot of info on it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Translate just got an update, some Asian optical recognition but also offline language packs - no more network connection required if you're on your travels

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Red Warrior posted:

This is what I'm still using also, radar is great, and it uses Wunderground's forecasts and data so I get readings based off a station in my neighborhood.

Yesterday http://forecast.io launched which is a site from the creators of the excellent iPhone Dark Sky app. Well worth bookmarking on your phone also, utterly beautiful animated precipitation maps and hyperlocal forecasts based on aggregating many sources and all kinds of predictive statistical wizardry.
This is awesome- definitely gonna have Dashclock open to that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume I'm not the only one who immediately switched to the 'flash colours across the spectrum' display and started doing the Close Encounters of the Third Kind notes.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

MikeJF posted:

I assume I'm not the only one who immediately switched to the 'flash colours across the spectrum' display and started doing the Close Encounters of the Third Kind notes.
No, but the "what chord is being played" feature is goddamn magic. It doesn't work quite as well when it's listening to a song and there's a bunch of other poo poo going on, but does a pretty good job if there's just a couple of instruments playing. If I'm playing by myself it gets it perfect but I guess that's not really useful since I already know what I'm playing. I also like the "TUNE UP" "TUNE DOWN" "IN TUNE" indicators. This is going to make me so lazy.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Are there any good alternatives out there to Android Pro Widgets? It seems like APW has really slowed down on updates or adding features. I've sent them a few feature requests too and there's never any response.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows an alternative to Todoist, that looks and works similarly? It's a nice app, but I don't see why I should pay a 30$ yearly subscription for online syncing I don't need, just that I can add notes to my tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Research Unix
Sep 30, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows an alternative to Todoist, that looks and works similarly? It's a nice app, but I don't see why I should pay a 30$ yearly subscription for online syncing I don't need, just that I can add notes to my tasks.

I've heard that Google's Keep is good, but I haven't checked it out myself.

• Locked thread