Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feelz good man posted:

DO NOT PAY FOR THOSE

Go to any grocery deli (Safeway, Kroger, etc.) and ask for them. Most places will have an abundance of them and will either hand them to you for free or for $0.50-$0.75. Try the bakery too if the deli is out.

Gonna nth this. We've got piles of em at work doing not a whole lot. And the pile just slowly grows as the bakery uses up buckets, or we use up buckets of pickles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Saint Darwin posted:

I don't see why not.

edit: VVVV I really keep thinking about doing the icecube herbs thing, but there's no room in my freezer; I think I mentioned before, but my housemates eat pretty much only frozen things, so the freezer is taken up with their crap.

Put it in your bedroom and throw a nice table cloth over it. Sadly I am literally out of wall space in my place but might build a shed this summer and stick one in there.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

How are people splitting their stock on completion? The ice cube tray idea seems nice, but are there any others?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

kru posted:

How are people splitting their stock on completion? The ice cube tray idea seems nice, but are there any others?

I like to get those cheap plastic containers that come like 3 for a buck. Put exactly 1 cup (or 2 cups or whatever amount is convenient for you) of stock in each container and freeze. When you want to make soup, just take out as many as you need. You already measured them, so just throw then into the pot.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I freeze them in x-cup increments in ziploc containers, then take em out once they're frozen and stack them in gallon freezer bags like bricks. Opening my freezer is like opening the crates in Kelly's Heroes.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

M42 posted:

I freeze them in x-cup increments in ziploc containers, then take em out once they're frozen and stack them in gallon freezer bags like bricks. Opening my freezer is like opening the crates in Kelly's Heroes.

Recovering the containers once the stock's frozen never crossed my mind :aaaaa:. Now I wish I hadn't bought cylindrical containers, I want stackable broth ingots!

Anyway that's what I've been doing, freezing quarts in cheap ziploc twist 'n loc containers, 2 cups' worth in baggies, and the ice cubes. You can also figure it's about 8 ice cubes to a cup. Thinking on it now, 1-cup bricks would cover most recipes and be a lot simpler.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

kru posted:

Freeze them in muffin trays in exact 1/2 cup measurements. Once frozen, remove from muffin trays and put them in zip lock bags.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are the buckets from the grocery store bpa free!?!?! :tinfoil:

Seriously, I really really appreciate that advice and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it myself, at least I didn't purchase them. thanks.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

M42 posted:

This is so much better than what I do. I want to do this, thanks for posting it. I use clean takeout containers from pho, awkward to work around in the freezer.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

M42 posted:

How do you get them out of the bags? In my experience everything freezes to ziplocks without cutting and ripping them off. I guess you do that?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

So, if you live near a Roche Bros, now is a great time to shop for baking ingredients. LINK

Land of Lakes butter, which I am told is the best butter for consistent baking, is on sale for a whopping $1.99/lb!

Flours are also on sale, both the Gold Medal and King Arthur flours, although I am not sure how good of a sale it is.

Sugars are on sale too, sweetened condensed milk, and flaked coconut. Goddammit, I could have used these last week when I made a german chocolate cake.

I'd make a bunch of pie crusts and freeze them for quiches, pot pies, pasties, etc and that is actually my plan tomorrow.

There's also pasta for $1/lb, and the spiral cut hams are $1.49/lb omg. I love ham, ham sandwiches, ham quiche, and I love ham bones for soup.

Hurrah for Easter ham sales. And pork tenderloin is on sale on Sunday for $1.77/lb, unf. Sales get me so riled up.

I don't see much else I'd use, but I am open to suggestions. Seafood is too expensive for me right now, but $4.99/lb of shrimp (Friday only) seems pretty good, and I am not sure about the beef roasts.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 22, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Saint Darwin posted:

How do you get them out of the bags? In my experience everything freezes to ziplocks without cutting and ripping them off. I guess you do that?

After the stock has frozen dip the bag into some cold water and it will release after it begins to thaw

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
Since a lot of this thread has been asking if x is a good deal for y, I'll see if I'm getting fleeced on frozen shrimp or not. My local grocery store is running a deal on frozen, skin/tail on shrimp for half price (9.99 from 19.99 for two pounds). Fleeced or good deal?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Saint Darwin posted:

Really? I've never had that happen. Sometimes two broth ingots (going to use this term now, thanks Remy) will stick together, but that's nothing a table knife can't separate. I don't have trouble getting them out of the ziploc containers, either - they're the thin ones with the blue lids, so you kinda just twist the container and they pop out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dirtbag Diva posted:

Since a lot of this thread has been asking if x is a good deal for y, I'll see if I'm getting fleeced on frozen shrimp or not. My local grocery store is running a deal on frozen, skin/tail on shrimp for half price (9.99 from 19.99 for two pounds). Fleeced or good deal?

It depends - what's the shrimp count per pound?

(like 11-15, 16-20, etc)

If the shrimp count per pound is really high, you're paying a lot of money for shrimp shells and not much else.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005

The Midniter posted:

It depends - what's the shrimp count per pound?

(like 11-15, 16-20, etc)

If the shrimp count per pound is really high, you're paying a lot of money for shrimp shells and not much else.

51-60 at two pounds. I figured that works out to less than twenty cents per shrimp but I guess that's not so good, huh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It could be worse, since like you say that's their deal offer and it probably goes for 7-8 dollars per pound. 5 per pound is pretty reasonable for shrimp, though you'll hear a lot about where you should and should definitely not buy shrimp from.

CoolZCBD
Jan 14, 2013

My Little Puni posted:

Wow that was extremely helpful and yet insulting at the same time. I will assume that you were being facetious and was only commentary on our social order, not a direct insult. So thank you, maybe this will help me become not lazy and I can stop feeding on the dirt caked on the bottom of my shoes when I get home from doing poor people stuff (mostly doing drugs and walking around wal-mart) and will slowly become a useful member of society. Maybe one day I can even start paying people off in order to make myself look better to other people paying people off. I can dream right?

But seriously, really helpful post.

Spend money on rice, beans, and any kind of meat you can get... all of those are good for you and will keep you going.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

kru posted:

I keep mine in those quart yogurt containers. Most things I cook with stock call for a quart of stock (like polenta and soups and stews). My current freezer doesn't have a shelf in it for whatever reason (and is full of crap), so I can't really do the muffin tray freezing or anything fancy. So, yogurt containers (also they're free with the purchase of yogurt). If I know I'll be doing cooking with stock in the week after I make it, I'll put a lot of it in a big plastic pitcher and just keep it in the fridge so it's ready to pour into whatever I'm cooking. It was fantastic for gravy-making around Thanksgiving. I always need to remind my roomies that it's stock and not iced tea or something.

As for removing frozen stock from bags, I just run the bag under warm water for a few seconds - that'll thaw whatever's sticking to the bag right away. Then it'll just slide out.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I just found an Indian shop and stocked up. red lentils, chick peas, chana dhal, black eyed peas, chickpea flour and soya beans (going to try make my own soy milk) for $4 per 1Kg ea.
Got cumin seeds, mustard seeds for $1.50/100g. Man, cardamom pods are expensive, had to give up on them but even seeds only were $5 per 100g, star anise was $1.80 for 50g too.
Rice was $10 for 5kg, so that was cheap for around here.

All my parsley is half dead, my basil, coriander, chives and other herbs are dead though, so I will be a while before I cook anything decent. Herbs are the one thing I refuse to buy fresh.
But I'm going to have to reread this thread and the vegan thread again now I have found some place worth buying beans, spice and rice at.
These are Australian prices obviously, but every one knows $1 US = $1AU and 1Kg = 2.2Lb
I hate reading California prices and how great their produce is though :(

Worst thing is I used to live in the area this Indian shop was at, and in that area was also a good veg shop, a good Asian food shop, and good butchers. Sucks living so far away, but worth the trip if I can buy a months worth of dry goods every trip I guess.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 24, 2013

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I'm a pretty poor student, and a staple lunch/medium meal for me is an incredibly simple mushroom sandwich.

You literally need four ingredients (Not including bread)

A Portabella Mushroom (Like what 50pence)
A leaf of basil (Can get a ton of fresh basil for 90pence, and it'll make tons of sandwiches)
Sun dried Peppers in oil (A jar that'll last ages is like £1.50
Mozzarella Cheese (A pretty cheap cheese, Low fat mozzarella is like One Pound for enough cheese to make four sandwiches)

Put your Mushroom (or mushrooms) on a grilling tray, with the stalk facing up. Layer on some peppers, add a large leaf of fresh basil to the top and then plonk on some Mozzarella cheese. Put in your oven at 200 celsius (Or grill them if you want) and cook for 15 minutes.

Then put in your bread. I like to use English Muffins and lightly grill them just before hand. A delicious, cheap and really filling sandwich for Lunch or even a meal if you're a light eater such as I am.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just made stew last night and it came out pretty well it was pretty cheap as well.I used Chuck Steak cause is was on sale for 2.50 a pound and I couldn't pass that up.

1 1/2 Pound of Chuck Steak , I cubed it trimmed some fat 4.00
5 medium russet potatoes I had from a 2.99 a Pound bag so like 1.00
1 bag of baby carrots 1.00
Stewed Tomatoes 1.00
Half a thing of beef broth that was 2.00, so 1 dollar
Onion 50 cents
Bell Pepper 50 Cents
Some left over Celery
Half a Garlic Clove 50 cents
Salt and Pepper I had
Tony's Cajun Seasoning I had

So like 10 bucks basically for a huge pot of stew.

Cook my Garlic, Onions, and Bellpepper down. Cubed and Seasoned my Meat with pepper salt and Tony's seared the poo poo out of it. Dumped that in there then added the Tomatoes, and some broth. Blanched my Potatoes and Carrots to get rid of that starchy flavor. Then just dumped everything into a pot on low for like 3 hours. Made 2 cups of rice.

It was loving delicious.

It was a huge pot like at least 10 to 12 good sized bowls of food that I could eat on for like 4 to 5 days lunch and dinner. If i froze the left overs I would have some saved for later too. Maybe at most 1 dollar a bowl?

So yeah I suggest Stew. You can get Chuck Steak for pretty loving cheap most places and if it's super thick it makes great stew meat. Lean stew meat sucks anyway. Cube that poo poo trim some of the fat and cook it for a while. It will be amazing.Hell Chuck Steak in general is a great meat. It's cheap and if you know how to cook it it's a great beef. Cut it thin and it's great for a cheap beef and broccoli. etc..

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 26, 2013

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/27-ways-to-make-your-groceries-last-as-long-as-pos?s=mobile

Work is slow today and I came across this. Don't know how accurate any of it is, but some of it seems pretty logical.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I just made my first batch of soymilk and looking for feed back since really I'm not a soy milk drinker and know stuff all about it.
Only trying it for two reasons, i) prefer to do anything at home fresh from home grown or dry goods if possible (to limit shopping trips and not fill up the fridge/freezer with perishables if I don't have to), ii) going to use it as a liquid for breakfast smoothies for protein, rather than water.

Anyway, followed this method: http://simplyafoodblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/28/the-soybean-saga-part-1-simple-way-for-homemade-fresh-soy-milk-how-to-milking-the-soy-beans/

gist of it was, 200g dry beans gives 2L milk.
Soak beans 6hrs.
Divide soaked beans into 2 batches.
Batch A in the blender with 500ml of warm water for a few minutes, then strain though a fine filter, reserve the pulp.
Batch B into the blender with 500ml of warm water for a few minutes, then strain though a fine filter, reserve the pulp.
Add the pulp from batch A back into the blender with another 500ml of warm water, then strain through a fine filter, and then discard the pulp (or keep for an okara recipe).
Add the pulp from batch B back into the blender with another 500ml of warm water, then strain through a fine filter, and then discard the pulp (or keep for an okara recipe).

Should have 2L of soymilk now to put into a pot. Simmer that for 40min, stirring, and skimming foam and skin from the top as you go.

I did that, as far as flavour, tastes like soy beans smell, nothing special, no nutty/grassy taste, but that might be normal.
Has a very dry mouth feel to it though. Very dry.

So is the recipe good, what is it supposed to taste like?
Could be over extraction, could be my water wasn't hot enough as she warned too cool a water would lead to bitterness, could be the beans I used being old and stale? Could be this is how it's supposed to be as they add sugar before drinking it... I guess many people use additives in soymilk for sweetness and flavour anyway.
I don't know, help me out soy milk drinking goons.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 26, 2013

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've said this before in this very thread but if you are a meat-eater look out for beef being clearanced in the Supermarket. Unlike chicken or fish, whole pieces of beef are basically at their best/getting better by the time most supermarkets are trying to get rid of them.

Case in point; we just picked up 5 prime rib roasts (I think that's what they are called in the U.S.? we call them rib roasts) for 3.50 - 4.00 each, reduced from 19.00 - 20.00 euro. They freeze really well, and are each easily capable of feeding 5 people.

Beans and rice are awesome and wholesome but super cheap gourmet beef is better.

Sorry vegetarians.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Pookah posted:

Sorry vegetarians.
Oh man, I was at the store today to pick up some milk or something, and they were unloading massive chunks of BOGO roasts (pretty decent roast cut, too), so I got two giant delicious pieces of beef for under three bucks a pound. Not as cheap as the pork roasts, but I just can't put pork in vindaloo. Along with some onions, potatoes, and a big can of tomatoes (and spices I already had), I made a over week's worth of lunches and dinners for like $16. Add rice to extend it further, and you have like.. 2 $1 meals per day for over a week.

Oh, and I also threw in some soup bones that have been leeching their marrowy nutrition and deliciousness into the pot, so it's extra hearty. I swear, whenever I forget to add the bone, the soup/stew/curry I make isn't nearly as filling. I'll frequently buy sections of beef shank because it's cheap and also has that nice piece of marrow bone in the middle. I saw some boneless shanks at the store one time for the same price as the regular shanks. loving ripoff. :mad:

Also, I think I just made my housemate's day. She just got in and remarked on how delicious it smelled. I told her she could go grab some vindaloo and rice because there is a fuckton of it. Turned out she hadn't eaten dinner yet, and it's pretty late here. :3: I love having delicious food around for people to eat.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Fo3 posted:

I just made my first batch of soymilk and looking for feed back since really I'm not a soy milk drinker and know stuff all about it.

Weird, I just made my first batch of soy milk a few days ago for the same reason. I soaked a cup of dry beans in water overnight, drained, rinsed and put them back in the pot with more water and boiled them for 15 minutes (cause apparently uncooked soy beans might give you fibroid tumors). After 15 minutes I drained them again, threw them in a blender with 4 cups of new water and blended until smooth.

I also made mine to add protein to smoothies, so since I didn't really care about texture and wanted as much protein as possible I decided to skip the straining step and keep the pulp in. Results were pretty much what I expected, soy bean smell and taste that was drowned out by everything else I put in my smoothies.

I dunno if this helps you at all since your system seems a lot more involved than mine, but I guess as long as it gives you a finished product you enjoy and costs as little as possible who really cares how you make it?

For reference I used this recipe, except I skipped the removal of the soy bean skins 'cause I couldn't be arsed, and the straining for the aforementioned reason.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah I looked at that recipe too, it was one of the other better ones out there.
I went with the one I did due to simple layout of ingredients in metric.

Anyway, I found the problem. Not boiling/simmering enough gives the strong nutty soya bean taste.
I had problems the first attempt due to lovely control on my stove, and lots of sticking to the pan.
I tried it again in a smaller batch where the stove could heat up quicker and got rid of that really strong soya flavour by an extra 10 min of boiling/high simmer, so all good now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Authentic You posted:

Oh man, I was at the store today to pick up some milk or something, and they were unloading massive chunks of BOGO roasts (pretty decent roast cut, too), so I got two giant delicious pieces of beef for under three bucks a pound. Not as cheap as the pork roasts, but I just can't put pork in vindaloo. Along with some onions, potatoes, and a big can of tomatoes (and spices I already had), I made a over week's worth of lunches and dinners for like $16. Add rice to extend it further, and you have like.. 2 $1 meals per day for over a week.

Oh, and I also threw in some soup bones that have been leeching their marrowy nutrition and deliciousness into the pot, so it's extra hearty. I swear, whenever I forget to add the bone, the soup/stew/curry I make isn't nearly as filling. I'll frequently buy sections of beef shank because it's cheap and also has that nice piece of marrow bone in the middle. I saw some boneless shanks at the store one time for the same price as the regular shanks. loving ripoff. :mad:

Also, I think I just made my housemate's day. She just got in and remarked on how delicious it smelled. I told her she could go grab some vindaloo and rice because there is a fuckton of it. Turned out she hadn't eaten dinner yet, and it's pretty late here. :3: I love having delicious food around for people to eat.

You do realize that vindaloo is SUPPOSED to be made with pork right? The dish has its origins in a watery Portugese dish where pork was pickled in vinegar and garlic. When the Portugese colonized the goan region of India the dish was adapted to Indian tastes with additional spices, but the basic premise of the dish is a nice fatty pork shoulder marinated in vinegar and a fuckton of garlic with some kind of sweetening agent added.

SoFarGone
Nov 2, 2011
Living well is the best revenge.
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but if you are shopping at Vons/Safeway/Ralphs etc. don't just use the card. Sign up for the email/web deals. I get coupons in my inbox once a week and if you go on the web site you get a customized list of stuff that's on sale that's actually based on your previous purchases. Pretty much everything I buy there is 10%-50% off the base price before applying coupons. There's also a smartphone app.

Cheap eats recipe:

Sesame Noodles with Peanut Sauce for 2 people

Peanut Sauce
5 cloves garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter
2T sugar
1 serrano chili, seeds removes
2 green onions roughly chopped
1T canola oil
1t rice wine vin
Throw everything into a blender or food processor and blend well. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two to really get the flavors to meld.

Boil 1/2 pound whole wheat noodles/spaghetti, drain, reserving some pasta water, return noodles to pot
Add 1-2t sesame oil
Add Peanut Sauce
Add some reserved pasta water if it's looking too dry and cook on low for 1 minute or until sauce is warmed through.

Serve with shredded carrots/cabbage sauteed with a knob of butter in a covered pan for 10 mins, stirring often.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

The Lord Bude posted:

You do realize that vindaloo is SUPPOSED to be made with pork right? The dish has its origins in a watery Portugese dish where pork was pickled in vinegar and garlic. When the Portugese colonized the goan region of India the dish was adapted to Indian tastes with additional spices, but the basic premise of the dish is a nice fatty pork shoulder marinated in vinegar and a fuckton of garlic with some kind of sweetening agent added.

Oh poo poo, you're right. I'd read about vindaloo being Portuguese in origin, but forgot about the pork part. My vindaloo meat of choice is lamb, but I rarely find it cheap enough, so I go with beef or chicken most of the time. Also, I just don't really think of pork as stew meat for whatever reason. It's for roasting and grilling and braising, but for stew? I dunno man. I'll definitely try it though, because the price sure is right. Pork shoulder can be had here for like $1.79/lb.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I have never, ever seen or heard it offered in pork. It might have started out that way but it's not a popular preparation at all.

VVV I mean I do but "tell me of your preferred vindaloo meat" isn't something that's come up. I have never seen pork vindaloo in a restaurant.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 27, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

I have never, ever seen or heard it offered in pork. It might have started out that way but it's not a popular preparation at all.

Pork curries are super popular in southeast Asia and among southeast Asian immigrants. Sorry that you don't know any I guess. Not really sure what you're trying to get at with this comment.

You should give it a try though, a super sour pork vindaloo is awesome.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

For some reason the majority of Indian migrants who have opened restaurants in Western countries have been muslim indians, who do not eat pork. This has skewed western perception of Indian cuisine towards muslim indian recipes. You only have to look at a traditional Hindi rogan josh from Kashmir to find a dish that is unrecognisable to the one commonly found in western restaurants. The Goan region where modern Indian vindaloo was born has a large Christian population, due to the portugese influence. This is one of the only areas in India where you can find pork widely consumed.

In any event, try the dish with pork shoulder, it's delicious. I'm about to go to bed, but I will contribute my vindaloo recipe tomorrow if people are interested.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

The Lord Bude posted:

In any event, try the dish with pork shoulder, it's delicious. I'm about to go to bed, but I will contribute my vindaloo recipe tomorrow if people are interested.

Definitely interested. Sounds delicious.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Pork curries are super popular in southeast Asia and among southeast Asian immigrants. Sorry that you don't know any I guess. Not really sure what you're trying to get at with this comment.

You should give it a try though, a super sour pork vindaloo is awesome.

They are, but Vindaloo is not a South East Asian dish! :)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

For some reason the majority of Indian migrants who have opened restaurants in Western countries have been muslim indians, who do not eat pork. This has skewed western perception of Indian cuisine towards muslim indian recipes. You only have to look at a traditional Hindi rogan josh from Kashmir to find a dish that is unrecognisable to the one commonly found in western restaurants. The Goan region where modern Indian vindaloo was born has a large Christian population, due to the portugese influence. This is one of the only areas in India where you can find pork widely consumed.

I plan to, I was going to make one at some point anyway since I'm showing my girlfriend Red Dwarf and all. I have to figure out if I can make it at non-lava levels since she does not handle heat.

That seems like blasphemy though!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

I plan to, I was going to make one at some point anyway since I'm showing my girlfriend Red Dwarf and all. I have to figure out if I can make it at non-lava levels since she does not handle heat.

That seems like blasphemy though!

The fundamental flavour combination that defines a vindaloo is vinegar and garlic, along with something sweet to counterbalance the vinegar. It doesn't need to be hot to be a vindaloo.

I still plan to post my recipe, but it needs a bit of editing for clarity, and I've had a busy work day, so tomorrow some time.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Just finished shotgunning this thread over the past couple days, it's awesome. It inspired me to make Coq au Vin for the first time (turned out well but next time I'm probably going to skip the peppers and other less hardy vegetables since they fell apart, and also use less than 1.5 bulbs of garlic) and I now also have a bunch of bookmarks for things I'm going to make next.

Question: I tried to make stock for the first time with a turkey carcass a while ago but at room temperature the stuff seems like it's almost all fat. I had frozen it first but it was really hard to cut up so I let it thaw so I could refreeze in smaller chunks, and discovered this slightly disgusting fact. I'm not afraid of fat but it was unexpected. Is that how it's supposed to work? I used a slow cooker and left it in there for a few days because it looked like the bones still had color left, and someone somewhere on these forums said you can basically let it keep going forever. But I don't think it turned out right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yeh, you're supposed to let it cool and skim it