Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

KoldPT posted:

I'm really looking forward to the OPRAH. If it's a smashing success, we might* have a gaming revolution, and finally all of these Call of Duty casuals will be forced to recognize the true might of retro gaming.
We should get in touch with Julie Uhrman and send her Arino's contact - I'm sure he'd be the perfect man to sponsor the BIG ZAM in Japan, seeing as it'll be the perfect* platform to play retro games in!

*we won't
*it won't

You know, Arino couldn't even play the BROUZOUF on the show, the screen they use doesn't take HDMI as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
There seems to be a wholesale copy of Legend of Grimrock coming to the Babooshka.

http://youtu.be/7kYQsL1GeO8

Not saying that Grimrock invented the genre but this thing sure seems to be lifting ideas straight up. Dude has a video from two months after Grimrock came out probably figuring it'd be a grand iOS cash grab. Someone even comments on one of his videos asking if the guy lifted a floor puzzle right from Grimrock.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"The puzzle elements make it unique!"

Yes, it sure is unique... provided we do not count

- Dungeon Master
- Chaos Strikes Back
- Dungeon Master II
- Eye of the Beholder
- Eye of the Beholder II
- Eye of the Beholder III
- Stonekeep
- Dungeon Hack
- Black Crypt
- Anvil of Dawn
- Captive
- Captive II
- Legend of Grimrock

And numerous other similar first person dungeon crawls with identical puzzle mechanics.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

averox posted:

There seems to be a wholesale copy of Legend of Grimrock coming to the Babooshka.

http://youtu.be/7kYQsL1GeO8

I'm willing to bet that the arrow controls and the shaky turning radius in the 3D environment will remain once it gets ported to the CATFARTBABYCRY.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Will I be able to play Limbo of the Lost on my SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS?

Because somehow that just seems right.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Somewhere, tonight, an Ouya employee will wake up on the floor, shake off a hangover, look at the date and check the time, and realize that holy poo poo that console launch is due, like, TOMORROW, dudes!

I'm so excited.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Hymirvetr posted:

You know, Arino couldn't even play the BROUZOUF on the show, the screen they use doesn't take HDMI as far as I know.

Wait, the SILMARILLION doesn't have a VGA/scart/component/composite port? It's HDMI only? That seems pretty dumb and limited, Android games deserve to be played on a 1980 Blaupunkt CRT!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
They will press the Launch button.

You know, the one next to the Root button.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Somewhere, tonight, an Ouya employee will wake up on the floor, shake off a hangover, look at the date and check the time, and realize that holy poo poo that console launch is due, like, TOMORROW, dudes!

I'm so excited.

OUYA, Where's My Console?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NewtGoongrich posted:

Promising incredulous people the impossible and taking their money for an inferior product seems like the exact definition of a scam. I don't know whether Uhrman and company believe their own bullshit though. Uhrman's interviews seem to suggest they do.
Scams are intentional. If they genuinely believed they could deliver on their claims at the time they made it wasn't a scam.

... I mean, some of the claims that have been made since seem like it is now in "scam" territory but it might not have started there.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dear Juliet...

Tomorrow and the following days will be glorious.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
In on the top floor of this here HASSELHOFF thread.

Because it's definitely downhill from here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK fun's fun guys, but seriously they must've released pictures of the final units, which are supposed to ship tomorrow, right?

Right, guys?

... right?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Der Shovel posted:

OK fun's fun guys, but seriously they must've released pictures of the final units, which are supposed to ship tomorrow, right?

Right, guys?

... right?
I know, it's so weird. No update on Ouya.tv and no update on their blog either.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is this when they find out that the factory in China was lying to them and never actually got around to mass producing their order yet?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So, they have their production scheduled in China, right?

Did they ever actually clear their orders with the local custom agencies?

Because that poo poo is not going to leave China or enter the US nor Mainland Europe that quickly.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I realize OUYA just isn't important in the grand tech scheme of things, but where is the journalism about its launch?I've been googling around tech and gaming news sites, and for the life of me I can't find a single article written this month that even raises questions about the preparedness of the company to ship tomorrow.

Is this thread really the only place that sees the ship going down?

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

I really do want the BOB SACAMANO to ship but I want every one of them to look like the crappy dev kit versions, including the controllers.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I realize OUYA just isn't important in the grand tech scheme of things, but where is the journalism about its launch?I've been googling around tech and gaming news sites, and for the life of me I can't find a single article written this month that even raises questions about the preparedness of the company to ship tomorrow.

Is this thread really the only place that sees the ship going down?

From what I've read, pretty much. On the other hand, nothing beats the comments on any articles that talk about it. Everyone thinks it's going to be the saviour of gaming. :allears:

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1040/in-app-purchase-testing-change

Do they not have a separate development and production environment? :stare:

edit: Oh my

pre:
        JSONObject purchaseRequest = new JSONObject();
        purchaseRequest.put("uuid", uniqueId);
        purchaseRequest.put("identifier", product.getIdentifier());
        // This value is only needed for testing, not setting it results in a live purchase
        purchaseRequest.put("testing", "true"); 

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 27, 2013

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Now, you can be a part of the action. Witness the entertainment in your living room.

The OUYA, in every home in America, and one day, the world!

Sorry Julie but your piece of poo poo hardware will never be anywhere near my TV, I might actually spend all of my savings buying more TV's just so that's a few more your stupid Ouya never touches.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jabor posted:

Basically you're not allowed to show photorealistic 3D renders and pretend that you've actually built the product and that's what the thing you've actually built looks like.

That wasn't because of the Ouya, it was because of this project http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/22/why-this-jilted-kickstarter-backer-decided-to-sue-why-he-was-right/

The guy put up photorealistic renders, took the money, and then didn't ship anything ever. After it'd been a year with no product that guy decided to sue and shortly after that Kickstarter put up the "no renders presented as actual products" rule.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

SoupyTwist posted:

Holy poo poo.

And this is the best:

some guy on their forum posted:

btw great work so far guys, it's nice to see constant improvement, week after week non-stop.

:laffo: This is acceptable if you're learning a new job and training as you go, not for launching a console.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SoupyTwist posted:

Oh my loving god. :roflolmao:

This is beyond amateur. How the gently caress do these people think they're ready to start charging consumer credit cards?! "Snap, everybody has the testing flags on and this thing goes live in a day... guess we'll just patch the server to ignore those!" "But sir, what about people who need to test in-app purchases?" "....gently caress. Well.... could we make a different flag? No, no, that's stupid... uh... I know, we'll just make purchases free for developers!" "but what if they have multiple programmers?" "well..." [Support to add additional developer accounts coming soon]

At this point my expectations are now below "they're going to fail" and I'm in full on "they're going to get hacked, lose sensitive financial information and get sued to oblivion" territory. :v:

quote:

Does it means that our purchases so far (in our own game) will not get a refund ? I made a few tests with a valid credit card yesterday and they are still pending when I login to see my credit card account.
:ohdear: He'll get his refund I'm sure, but this just shows how colossally un-ready for launch they are. The store API is sounding like a complete disaster right now, they're probably in full on crunch mode over at ORGASMATRON. Those poor developers working round the clock to try to make up for massive management oversight...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 27, 2013

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I realize it's low-hanging fruit, but on ouya.tv they are using javascript for shopifyapps.com (Shop Ify Apps) - if anything is Ify about this product, it's everything.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, they're still making a pig's ear of things this close to shipping.

Oh, this is getting exciting. Wonderful disaster zone, here we come. I'm sure the excuses are just going to be magical. :magical:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

synthetik posted:

I realize it's low-hanging fruit, but on ouya.tv they are using javascript for shopifyapps.com (Shop Ify Apps) - if anything is Ify about this product, it's everything.

New thread title. "OUYA - If anything is iffy about this product, its everything." :allears:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

That wasn't because of the Ouya, it was because of this project http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/22/why-this-jilted-kickstarter-backer-decided-to-sue-why-he-was-right/

The guy put up photorealistic renders, took the money, and then didn't ship anything ever. After it'd been a year with no product that guy decided to sue and shortly after that Kickstarter put up the "no renders presented as actual products" rule.

That might have been the start of it but the OOGA kickstarter included photorealistic renders as well and collected a lot more money. There's still a good chance they just put together some dev consoles to pick up more preorders on their site while she gets ready to run with the money.

E: I forget to mention the point I came to the thread for: on the XMBC page they claim the OOLILI is intended for use with XMBC. I don't recall ever seeing that claim anywhere else and I haven't seen it tested by anyone. Maybe an android build will work but so much for it's built in store if people are intending to modify it for HTPC purposes. Assuming that it ships at all.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 27, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Devian666 posted:

E: I forget to mention the point I came to the thread for: on the XMBC page they claim the OOLILI is intended for use with XMBC. I don't recall ever seeing that claim anywhere else and I haven't seen it tested by anyone. Maybe an android build will work but so much for it's built in store if people are intending to modify it for HTPC purposes. Assuming that it ships at all.

It was noted earlier that OOHIWANNATAKEYOUTOJAMAICABAHAMACOMEONPRETTYMAMA is listed as a sponsor on XMBC's website. :v: Dunno what all that entails.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Welcome to cyberpunk hell.

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2013/03/27/make-your-own-ouya-game-console-case/

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The first OUYA video game consoles are ready to ship to early backers on March 28, followed by OUYA’s full launch in June, and the excitement is building for this new open console. To embrace the customizable features of OUYA, OUYA has partnered with MakerBot®, the global leader in desktop 3D printing, and its website Thingiverse.com, to create 3D design files for the first 3D printed OUYA game console. The MakerBot 3D printed OUYA game console will debut alongside OUYA’s unveiling in San Francisco this week.

When you get an OUYA, you can go to Thingiverse.com and download the OUYA MakerBot 3D Printing Development Kit and create your very own 3D printed OUYA game console case.

MakerBot has worked with OUYA to create 3D printed designs for the OUYA console case; the designs are optimized for printing on a MakerBot® Replicator® 2 Desktop 3D Printer.

The OUYA MakerBot 3D Printing Development Kit provides a 3D template and specs for printing console covers that the user can customize with patterns and colors. The console cases are printed in rugged PLA on the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer, or for those 3D printing experts, in ABS on a MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printer.

“We are pretty excited to be able to provide a 3D Printing Development Kit on Thingiverse.com for OUYA,” noted Bre Pettis, CEO of MakerBot. “OUYA is one of the most exciting new developments in the gaming world, and MakerBot is thrilled to be a part of it. The custom 3D printed console cases are also really cool.”

OUYA is an innovative, new game console that introduces a new category in video game entertainment by bringing an open experience – where any gamer creator can publish a game – together with the magic of console gaming on the television.

OUYA is the first game console to release 3D templates for its hardware that can be printed on a 3D printer. It not only allows OUYA owners to personalize their game consoles, but also brings OUYA into a whole new spectrum of innovation in the gaming category.

“OUYA is all about being open – from allowing any game developer to make games for the TV to being able to literally open the console with a standard screwdriver,” said Julie Uhrman, CEO of OUYA. “It was a natural progression to extend our openness by partnering with MakerBot. What better way to bring OUYA’s console to life than letting anyone print and modify it.”

quote:

Check out more about OUYA on their website. If you’re not excited already, maybe this will help: they have Minecraft!

quote:

They have Minecraft!

quote:

Minecraft!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So what's the actual thing look like, Jules?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The OUYAouya twitter account has confirmed they are starting to SHIP TOMORROW:

quote:

OUYA ‏@playouya 15m

@LDashAndroid Only one more day and we start shipping to Kickstarter backers.

quote:

OUYA ‏@playouya 16m

@BartAllen2 Yep! -- OUYA starts shipping out to Kickstarter backers tomorrow!

This is literally the only official confirmation that they're 'starting' to ship I can find.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Devian666 posted:

That might have been the start of it but the OOGA kickstarter included photorealistic renders as well and collected a lot more money. There's still a good chance they just put together some dev consoles to pick up more preorders on their site while she gets ready to run with the money.

Yeah but the fact that the OUYA did that had nothing to do with it. Kickstarter implemented the rules specifically because a whole bunch of other projects had gotten funded, then produced nothing for months or even years past the scheduled delivery times.

When the rules were pt into place, it was like a few days after the Ouya kickstarter ended.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

So why the hell would anyone want a 3D printed plastic case if these things are supposedly going to ship with aluminum cases, especially when 3D printed plastic isn't very good quality yet?

Or is this their out for when they just hurriedly ship out naked Tegra boards in anti-static bags instead of what they promised? It's so open, you get to design the appearance of it yourself! :downs:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Scirocco Griffon posted:

So why the hell would anyone want a 3D printed plastic case if these things are supposedly going to ship with aluminum cases, especially when 3D printed plastic isn't very good quality yet?

Or is this their out for when they just hurriedly ship out naked Tegra boards in anti-static bags instead of what they promised? It's so open, you get to design the appearance of it yourself! :downs:

So you can add the loving vents yourself.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Outsourcing production to the consumers?

Clever girl

Dec 26, 2012

Requested_Username posted:

Outsourcing production to the consumers?

Clever girl

Yeah, this seems like a way to both appeal to the DIY crowd and spend less on production.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah but the fact that the OUYA did that had nothing to do with it. Kickstarter implemented the rules specifically because a whole bunch of other projects had gotten funded, then produced nothing for months or even years past the scheduled delivery times.

When the rules were pt into place, it was like a few days after the Ouya kickstarter ended.

drat. I didn't realise the lovely projects on kickstarter had hit critical mass. The only time I got interested in kickstarter was when wasteland 2 was close to being funded.

So the OOMPA just made it before the rule change.

I love the makerbot gimmick. I'm wondering how much the cost of the fibre is per print and how many failed prints before you get an intact case. There is some hope as someone might take the files and design a functional case with effective cooling.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 27, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I find 3d printing pretty nifty, but why the hell do you want to be able to print the OUYA case in plastic? The thing is suppose to be metal is it not. Why would you waste more personal resources printing the case in plastic, just so you can move the innards.

Unless the final units themselves are plastic...oh man.

Edit: ^^ Oh, solve our lovely cooling design with your 3d printer and the power of open. OUYA!

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 27, 2013

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It will ship as a bare PCB without a heat sink and fan. Some soldering required and a CD with makerbot files. Such a cheap DIY console so long as you don't count the $500-$1000 you need to spend on a 3d printer. BOOYA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm actually halfway tempted to go to the RICHARDPAULSON launch event, except that I just looked and it's an invite-only thing. Welp.

Something tells me I could probably pretend to be a journalist for a website and get in though. Just say I plan to blog about it or something. Hmm.

• Locked thread