Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
So many dollar sign names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Dipset reunion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nrVoePEYYo

50 Cent ft Kendrick Lamar-We Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6jhuhsG-7w

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Tyler, The Creator's newest effort has made its way onto the internet. He's moved past the rape lyrics, and his lyrics may not be the deepest or most technical, but the production is highly Neptunes influenced and the words fit the music. Long story short, check it out. I think you may be surprised.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Action Bronson, Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q all look loving cool on that XXL cover. And yes, Trinidad James and Chief Keef both make catchy songs but they don't deserve to be on that cover, they suck at rapping.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

asap-salafi posted:

Action Bronson, Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q all look loving cool on that XXL cover. And yes, Trinidad James and Chief Keef both make catchy songs but they don't deserve to be on that cover, they suck at rapping.

Chief keef owns, sorry retard

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The XXL list is good for documenting garbage rappers that hiphop hypebeasts will deny liking 5 years from now.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

temple posted:

The XXL list is good for documenting garbage rappers that hiphop hypebeasts will deny liking 5 years from now.

They get some gems on there sometimes. I think part of the problem is finding 10 new rappers per year that are going to make any sort of a dent in rap beyond that year. If they narrowed it down to like 3 or something it would be more realistic. Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Action Bronson are safe bets to have decent careers, the rest are going to be easily forgotten or I haven't heard them yet.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joey is the real deal too.

idk much about Kirko other than him being on these 2 pretty nice cuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFITLKwpkYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-bPhq39T7U

edit: oh yeah and this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_PBzJ3CzzU

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 27, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Robert Analog posted:

They get some gems on there sometimes. I think part of the problem is finding 10 new rappers per year that are going to make any sort of a dent in rap beyond that year. If they narrowed it down to like 3 or something it would be more realistic. Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Action Bronson are safe bets to have decent careers, the rest are going to be easily forgotten or I haven't heard them yet.
Well, I think about half of their picks are solid but the other half are hype. Can't be perfect but I wonder how many people refuse vs don't get selected. I wish they would scope new talent instead of who's on their first mainstream album kind of new.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If we're still talking about Trinidad James in 2 months, let alone a year, I'll be shocked.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

temple posted:

Yep, this is exactly right considering loving Hopsin made it on to the cover.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Chief keef owns, sorry retard

lmbo

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

Well, I think about half of their picks are solid but the other half are hype. Can't be perfect but I wonder how many people refuse vs don't get selected. I wish they would scope new talent instead of who's on their first mainstream album kind of new.

The only one I ever heard of turning it down was Tyler (which led to them picking Hopsin instead).

That XXL "freshmen" list is always worthless, and like every list is just for generating buzz for their horrible magazine. I mean they actually put a dude on their cover who's worse at rapping than Keef. They haven't had anything worthwhile since Bol quit writing for them. And a bunch of their "freshmen" have been putting out music for years so it's not like they're even that new or something.

Robert Analog posted:

There's enough dudes out there who are decent, but tbh I don't think that's what their goal is. I can't really ever remember them putting on someone who wasn't already "known" to some extent. It'd be interesting if they actually picked people without much of a body of work or who were in the process of establishing themselves. Like had (some) of these dudes been on last year's cover, that would've been something.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If we're still talking about Trinidad James in 2 months, let alone a year, I'll be shocked.

I'm shocked we're still talking about him now.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
last year AS$P Rocky turned down the cover and so did Chip tha ripper/King Chip. Granted, Chips been in the game for years and ASAP already had a multimillion dollar deal the freshman cover just makes you look like a scrub I'm surprised Q Soul and Bronson decided to be on it.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Edit: gotta use that refresh

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Vado turned it down as well last year for a cover on The Source. I guess it's a feather in your cap but there are some pretty trash people that get on that list.

By trash I mean Machine Gun Kelly

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 27, 2013

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

an skeleton posted:

Why should Keef not be on there? Wait, let me guess: because you are Dumb and your opinions are Bad

...because they both have had major label debuts with a good amount of hype.

How is that a bad opinion exactly?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Drake and Nicki turned down the Freshman cover too, but come on guys XXL always knows what they're talking about.

(2008)

Here's your weekly Chiraq update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYwtU_B9oI

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 27, 2013

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Sorry people trinidad James owns. Beyond all gold everything his whole mixtape is p. awesome. 100 % rather listen to say madden on the game cube then absoul rant about chemtrails and the illuminati or w/e even if he is a way more skilled rapper

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

MGK could've been so much more.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

GET MONEY posted:

Drake and Nicki turned down the Freshman cover too, but come on guys XXL always knows what they're talking about.

(2008)

Here's your weekly Chiraq update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYwtU_B9oI

Well they put Boosie on the cover so they got one right at least.

And Lupe was really cool at the time

Boywhiz88 posted:

Tyler, The Creator's newest effort has made its way onto the internet. He's moved past the rape lyrics, and his lyrics may not be the deepest or most technical, but the production is highly Neptunes influenced and the words fit the music. Long story short, check it out. I think you may be surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqREYe8OT_w Rusty(feat. Domo and Earl) I've loved the album so far

schweens fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 27, 2013

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The huge number of people on twitter who are mad about Danny Brown not being on the cover is both hilarious and sad.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wkg9bwugDY

Wezlar posted:

The huge number of people on twitter who are mad about Danny Brown not being on the cover is both hilarious and sad.

LOL. I can't wait for Old, he's been releasing some great stuff recently.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Wezlar posted:

Making it two years in a row would be cool

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

GET MONEY posted:

(2008)

Wait werent 05/06 Rich Boy and Dro's coming out years? Boosie??? Crooked I In 08??????? :psyduck:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Sometimes I feel like the guys in here who can't even wrap their heads around listening to rap like Keef, Gucci,
Flocka etc. just don't have any understanding of a rapper being nice outside of pure technical skill.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
drat that Dipset show looked dope. Had JR Writer there too :drat:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Profondo Rosso posted:

Sorry people trinidad James owns. Beyond all gold everything his whole mixtape is p. awesome. 100 % rather listen to say madden on the game cube then absoul rant about chemtrails and the illuminati or w/e even if he is a way more skilled rapper

Ab-Soul's rants are hilarious and are maybe half of why I listen to his poo poo though

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Sometimes I feel like the guys in here who can't even wrap their heads around listening to rap like Keef, Gucci,
Flocka etc. just don't have any understanding of a rapper being nice outside of pure technical skill.

Well, the dudes you mentioned bring a lot of different things to the table in terms of music, so assuming they're all the same isn't entirely accurate. Also, you're assuming they are "nice" rather than just making music you enjoy. There's a lot of people in here who can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that a lot of the rappers they listen to are hot garbage (in terms of rapping skill). It has nothing to do with pure technical skill. There are lots of rappers who are average (or even below) technically but are still really good rappers (Ghostface). There are tons of dudes who are ridiculous technically, but make lovely music (Percee P). There are even some dudes who are lovely at rapping, but still offer something to their music (Waka). But a lot of dudes in here just don't get that, and think that not only is everyone they listen to some amazing rap dude, but become personally offended whenever someone questions that rapping ability.

I can just imagine there's gonna be some rapper named Kave Mane and his songs will literally be grunting between Luger drums and autotune hooks and you're gonna get dudes in here like "So what if he can't rap, form sentences or pronounce words, he's still a good rapper! Yo ma dawgs hiz poo poo be hard yo. And did you see his chain with a diamond club? lolz he's so fresh my homies"

Parachute Underwear posted:

Ab-Soul's rants are hilarious and are maybe half of why I listen to his poo poo though

There's a lot of history of conspiracy raps that talk about things of varying levels of plausibility. Whether this is a good thing or not I'm not 100% sure.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

alansmithee posted:

There's a lot of history of conspiracy raps that talk about things of varying levels of plausibility. Whether this is a good thing or not I'm not 100% sure.

My intro to him was Control System and apart from "Terrorist Threats" there isn't even that much conspiracy rap in there. In terms of topics discussed it's pretty bog-standard.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Well, the dudes you mentioned bring a lot of different things to the table in terms of music, so assuming they're all the same isn't entirely accurate. Also, you're assuming they are "nice" rather than just making music you enjoy. There's a lot of people in here who can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that a lot of the rappers they listen to are hot garbage (in terms of rapping skill). It has nothing to do with pure technical skill. There are lots of rappers who are average (or even below) technically but are still really good rappers (Ghostface). There are tons of dudes who are ridiculous technically, but make lovely music (Percee P). There are even some dudes who are lovely at rapping, but still offer something to their music (Waka). But a lot of dudes in here just don't get that, and think that not only is everyone they listen to some amazing rap dude, but become personally offended whenever someone questions that rapping ability.

I can just imagine there's gonna be some rapper named Kave Mane and his songs will literally be grunting between Luger drums and autotune hooks and you're gonna get dudes in here like "So what if he can't rap, form sentences or pronounce words, he's still a good rapper! Yo ma dawgs hiz poo poo be hard yo. And did you see his chain with a diamond club? lolz he's so fresh my homies"

I feel like this is directed at gucci, and he is a technically talented rapper. Listen to 3d and tell me he isn't more talented than 95'% of rappers

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Profondo Rosso posted:

I feel like this is directed at gucci, and he is a technically talented rapper. Listen to 3d and tell me he isn't more talented than 95'% of rappers

Gucci is not more talented than 95% of rappers.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Profondo Rosso posted:

I think his delivery is his biggest problem. His voice turns a lot of people away.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Wezlar posted:

Gucci is not more talented than 95% of rappers.

I highly doubt you've listened to his best mixtapes. Dude can rhyme mane. I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrHKlZhQZus

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Gucci turned himself in for the assault charge by the way.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-75067409/

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Does technical proficiency really mean anything in 2013? It meant something in the 90's when hip-hop was trying to solidify it's legitimacy and we had an album driven culture, but these days I'm glad most artists are realizing brevity is the soul of wit. Obviously there's plenty of room in the game for everybody, but the best rappers now are those who can say some reasonably clever poo poo over hot production. Ain't nobody got time for bombin' atomically with Socrates' philosophies anymore.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
OK well the GZA is unassailable, but talk poo poo about Canibus or whoever all you want (Pharaohe Monche is unassailable too though).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I don't know people are so quick to defend Gucci when I don't think he's hated in the first place. He's just old and you might as well bring up Wiz or Curren$y because they all were relevant years ago but still struggle on.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

temple I sort of agree with your point this time, somehow, but I'm pretty sure you're completely out of touch with popular culture at this point if you think Wiz is struggling on.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I like Wiz. It was a figure of speech but I don't think Wiz is on the tip of anyone's tongue.

edit: I'd like Gucci on some bigger records, that's all. I'd like to see him on a major but I know that would against his ethos. You either go big or you stay hovering around the same sound. Same for Curren$y.

temple fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
uhhh gucci wiz and curren$y are doin drat well for themselves

also if we had to be honest chief keef is probably the weakest out of them, ive seen waka at a car show in san antonio and he SLAYED it... i dont even like waka like that but gotta give it up for the man, hes a hell of a performer

from what i heard you cant really say the same about keef but hes a young street goon first and a rapper second

• Locked thread