Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

real_scud posted:

yelling at teammates

Based on extensive empirical research, I'm pretty sure a goalie's job description is:

1. Yell at teammates.
2. Stop pucks.
3. If any pucks get through, see #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sweet thursday posted:

When do end-of-season hockey sales usually spring up

Right now.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Any good stick deals out there? I friggin broke my stealth rs today, Im an idiot. Hockey monkey has intermediates in my curve on clearance for 150 shipped though. Not sure I want a grip stick though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Missed two games out of our 8 game beginner season due to baby (yay) and then the flu (boo). I haven't had a chance to do drop in or even open skate in two weeks. Our next game is Wednesday and I'm crawling out of my skin.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Fingers McGee posted:

Any good stick deals out there? I friggin broke my stealth rs today, Im an idiot. Hockey monkey has intermediates in my curve on clearance for 150 shipped though. Not sure I want a grip stick though.

If you don't want a grip just spray some clear coat over the top of it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Since people started mentioning it, and it's that time of year:

SALES AND poo poo*

*NEVER EVER INCLUDES MAP poo poo

Hockey Monkey
"Spring Cleaning Event"
Save 20% on clearance items. SPRCLN20 at checkout.
CCM Skates are also supposedly marked down up to 40%.

HockeyTron
Supposedly marked down prices on Bauer Vapor line of skates.

Hockey Giant
15% off sale. Code: 2013PLAYER15
Supposedly has sales on CCM Skates, Reebok protective gear clearance, and Easton equipment marked down.

Perani's Hockey World
Supposedly 10- 75% off at retail locations through March

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hockey Giant is doing 15% off MAP stuff in their new San Jose store. You might have luck getting them to do it elsewhere if you go in store or maybe if you order via phone.

I bought a pair of APX skates at 15% off yesterday, for example.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Three-day tournament for employees where I work starts today. These will be my first games ever with refs, scorekeepers, etc. It's not a serious tournament (although I've been told there are always a couple people who figure there must be scouts in the stands somewhere), but there's a handful of ex-WHL/University players.

I will consider it a personal victory if I can just remember to keep my skates moving and keep up with the play.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Hockey Giant is doing 15% off MAP stuff in their new San Jose store. You might have luck getting them to do it elsewhere if you go in store or maybe if you order via phone.

I bought a pair of APX skates at 15% off yesterday, for example.

APX skates are marked down currently -- 15% is standard cut from big stores to mom and pop hockey gear retailers. Not saying that the sale wasn't for MAP gear, but in the APX skates case they're marked down in anticipation of the APX 2 in mid April.

Also 15% off in store at HockeyMonkey in Irvine next weekend, MAP excluded.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 26, 2013

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm dumb, what's MAP?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stands for 'minimum advertised price', basically the smallest price a retailer can show people without getting into trouble with their supplier.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

xzzy posted:

Stands for 'minimum advertised price', basically the smallest price a retailer can show people without getting into trouble with their supplier.

Got it...now how do we know what that price is?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's the price on the website for the majority of current season "newest model" gear.

Or try to apply an active coupon, if it doesn't discount anything, congrats you're interesting in purchasing said MAP'd gear!

It sucks.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Ok, just never heard that term before. Thanks, guys.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Are we allowed to sell hockey gear in here?

sellouts posted:

APX skates are marked down currently -- 15% is standard cut from big stores to mom and pop hockey gear retailers. Not saying that the sale wasn't for MAP gear, but in the APX skates case they're marked down in anticipation of the APX 2 in mid April.

Also 15% off in store at HockeyMonkey in Irvine next weekend, MAP excluded.

I got 15% off the marked down price that everyone has, to be clear.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I seem to love playing hockey right around my birthday.

Last year on my birthday I had a 2G 2A game and today I had another 2G game. I also managed to pull an amazing goal line deflection after our goalie decided to go out and play way too aggressive on a guy in the slot.

:toot: :smuggo: :toot:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Are we allowed to sell hockey gear in here?

I got 15% off the marked down price that everyone has, to be clear.

That is a most excellent deal. I don't know what you're coming from but those skates rule.

I don't see why you can't sell gear in here.

I need a large helmet for a backup / drop in helmet if anyone is selling.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sellouts posted:

I talked to Martytoof, he said to post in SA Mart and link it here with some images.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

That is a most excellent deal. I don't know what you're coming from but those skates rule.

I need a large helmet for a backup / drop in helmet if anyone is selling.

Want my S19? :haw:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is it a size large? How much? I know it fits lovely but I really don't count on using this very often.

If we agree on the price we will make the sa-mart thread so it's kosher with the rules?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm looking for some size 7 APXs for like $80. Msg me kthnx

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I'm feeling pretty good about our pickup list these days- I had a goalie cancel for tonights ice at 10:30 last night, and had a new one lined up 2 emails and an hour later. The pickup itself sold out in less then two hours. This is in contrast to a few months ago where begging for goalies and players right up until game time was a common, stressful thing. Nothing sucks more then shelling out for ice time and having to eat a percentage of the cost.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Is it a size large? How much? I know it fits lovely but I really don't count on using this very often.

If we agree on the price we will make the sa-mart thread so it's kosher with the rules?

Yeah it's large and just the helmet; I use the cage on my new one. Only used it for like 2 months. It pretty much looks brand new other than my "19" stickers on the back that I'll pull off.

$20 we'll call it good. I just want it gone.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep I will roll the dice for 20 dollars.

Post thread in sa mart and I will PayPal you 20 and send you a prepaid FedEx label if you give me an address near your home/work for it to figure out the cost (I'm paying but it helps with my billing)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My skates for sale!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540563

Bauer Vapor XXXX size 7D, $100.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There you go Hockles, pick those up. They own and look to be in shockingly good shape.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

sellouts posted:

There you go Hockles, pick those up. They own and look to be in shockingly good shape.

This. Jump all over those Hockles. My Vapors own. I wouldn't skate in anything else.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
So for the third season in a row, my rec team is facing elimination in the first round by a ringer team, and it's getting really frustrating. I've been running this team for three years, and we may not be the most skilled, but we're pretty committed and all of our guys make it to nearly every game. Each season, we end up finishing high in the standings and then first round we play a low ranked team that all of a sudden has a bunch of amazing players who only showed up for a fraction of the games in the regular season (you need 8 out of 25 to play during playoffs). It's like we're playing a whole new team. It seems to make the season mean nothing and is just lame in general, and this has happened to us literally every season in this league.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Am I being a gigantic hockey sperglord? In a 25 game season, how many games do you think a player should have to play in order to be eligible for playoffs?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Gonna tentatively "dibs" those until I properly size my foot.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

the last signal... posted:

So for the third season in a row, my rec team is facing elimination in the first round by a ringer team, and it's getting really frustrating. I've been running this team for three years, and we may not be the most skilled, but we're pretty committed and all of our guys make it to nearly every game. Each season, we end up finishing high in the standings and then first round we play a low ranked team that all of a sudden has a bunch of amazing players who only showed up for a fraction of the games in the regular season (you need 8 out of 25 to play during playoffs). It's like we're playing a whole new team. It seems to make the season mean nothing and is just lame in general, and this has happened to us literally every season in this league.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Am I being a gigantic hockey sperglord? In a 25 game season, how many games do you think a player should have to play in order to be eligible for playoffs?

This happens in every rec league in every division. There's a team in my division that's 19 and 11. But wait 10 of those losses are because they joined the league late and another from a game they forfeited. They are 18 and 0 and have 3 players averaging over 5 points a game. There's another team that has a goalie swap halfway thru the season and brings our 6 new guys. Get used to it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nothing feels better than eliminating the ringer team.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Chemmy posted:

I have done this as a goalie and it is indeed one of the best feelings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doesn't that just mean YOU are the ringer team? :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chemmy posted:

We did this to close the books on my Silver team. It felt fantastic, especially considering how mad they were. Ringer tears are the best tears.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

In our league(30 games), a player has to play in 10 games to be playoff eligible, and the rosters are frozen after 20 games. It cuts down on the surprises, but it means every team brings 2-3-4 ringers all season.

Last night was a win, 6-2. 4 ejections(one for headbutting), 3 threats of parking lot violence(which of course didn't materialize. wtf is a grown man doing threatening to fight in the parking lot after a beer league game anyway?), and one of their forwards speared me in the cup so hard, it cracked. All in all, a good game.

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/players-boxscore.html?gameid=2123173

delpheye fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 27, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Indeed, beating the ringer team is a good feeling and they are the best tears.

Even better when its the championship and you can drink the tears of the ringers from the cup you just won.

gently caress ringer teams. On a related note, our inline team is going up from silver to gold ... so we are now looking for a ringer or two.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Maybe you could look at it another way.

Your playoff season is what, 3-4 games? You played well enough to finish in the top teams. That's 25 games of good, strong, hard-fought, mostly-winning hockey which you and your team paid for.

Coming in to the playoffs near the bottom and bringing in ringers is a really dumb way to spend hundreds of dollars, I think. The result is they get to take home a piece of plastic and brag that they won 3-4 hockey games. I agree that beating that ringer team in the playoffs is great but i'd rather grind out a close win over a similar opponent 3 or 4 times a season. It always leaves me wanting to come back for more.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Verman posted:

Indeed, beating the ringer team is a good feeling and they are the best tears.

Even better when its the championship and you can drink the tears of the ringers from the cup you just won.
The best was doing that in a come-from-behind fashion. That was the start of a run of 4 championships in a row for me as a goalie while I was bouncing around between teams. The first one was still the best because goddamn was it great watching them implode.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

oddIXIbbo posted:

Maybe you could look at it another way.

Your playoff season is what, 3-4 games? You played well enough to finish in the top teams. That's 25 games of good, strong, hard-fought, mostly-winning hockey which you and your team paid for.

Coming in to the playoffs near the bottom and bringing in ringers is a really dumb way to spend hundreds of dollars, I think. The result is they get to take home a piece of plastic and brag that they won 3-4 hockey games. I agree that beating that ringer team in the playoffs is great but i'd rather grind out a close win over a similar opponent 3 or 4 times a season. It always leaves me wanting to come back for more.

It's true, we definitely get our money's worth during the season, even though this team in particular we played three times and won 6-1, 7-4 and 7-3. But the way our league does it during playoffs is best of 3 for each series, and then finals are best of 5. There are three rounds in the playoffs, so getting past the first round could get you an extra 2-8 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I think my stick might be a smidge too long...what is a good rule of thumb to measure? I have three identical sticks and only have two taped up/useable so I could experiment with the third one (as long as its ok to hack some off of the end of a composite).