Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Surprised everyone seemed disappointed by Kunst. I'm halfway through now and it seems like the most varied album they've done with the stable line-up, and biggest throwback to the 90s (to the point of reusing a lot of sounds).

..okay I'm not crazy about Lucia's vocals on Pussy Riot, though the chorus is alright.

edit: ha, now Sasha's singing lines from Terror. Been a while since I heard that awesome track.

Well, for me it's not that much that I was disappointed in the album, because I haven't actually listened to it in full. It's that the samples sounded like same old, same old, so I didn't bother.

It's on Spotify so I'll give it a listen, because I want to believe you're right.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I do think it trails off after track 5. And yeah, I listened to it on Rdio. I'll give it another listen though which is more than I can say for most of their post-Adios output.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Is it just me or has this album had the absolute poo poo compressed out of it or something?

The title track kicks rear end (as somehow all KFMDM songs about KMFDM always do), and I <3 Not is really cool as well, but I'm finding it difficult to focus on most of the other tracks. There's good stuff here but it's just... KMFDM, you know. We've been through this before.

Also Pseudocide is just awful

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cEVIN Key's instrumental synth fuckery project Download (not to be confused with his other keyboard fuckery project plateau which is usually centered around weed)) is apparently releasing a new LP.

http://www.metropolis-mailorder.com/product.php?prodnum=MET+873

The project has evolved quite a bit from the early sounds he sculpted in Charlie's Family and The Eyes of Stanley Pain. However, if you're into the OONZT OONZT OONZT cat noise stuff of Helicopter or the recent platEAU records this might be worth your time.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Also Pseudocide is just awful
Hah. Wow.

I think we need a "KMFDM Shreds."

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nUONDf2Is

Cleen's The Voice (note comments)

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Image is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAW7JKWZSL4

Any other recommendations?

I really like the whole Empath album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8378Ysrx7OU

I remember picking up the album after that and finding it quite generic, but it's been a long while.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I don't know why but seeing Eskil skiing made me feel like all is right in the world.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I remember not being very impressed with Grendel's Timewave Zero when it came out, but I didn't remember why. I went back today to relisten and see if I could make it click, and it's like...not even EBM, more like 90s house or something :psyduck:

Oh well, back to Harsh Generation.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Sloppy posted:

I remember not being very impressed with Grendel's Timewave Zero when it came out, but I didn't remember why. I went back today to relisten and see if I could make it click, and it's like...not even EBM, more like 90s house or something :psyduck:

Oh well, back to Harsh Generation.

Not EBM? I don't like their vocal style and it's definitely on the smoother side than terrordeathmurdercore or whatever the hell. But not EBM?

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
It certainly sounds like Grendel to me. It has a few too many instrumental tracks for my taste, but the more I listen to it the more I enjoy it.

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho

Dr Tran posted:

Just got back from seeing KMFDM. Kunst was silly fun. The rest of the show was okay. Sad they didn't play any old stuff.

I'm seeing them in Chicago (3/23) and Milwaukee (3/24) this coming weekend, and I seriously can't contain myself.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

What are you talking about? Setlist.fm tells me they're playing DIY, Son of a Gun, Anarchy, Megalomaniac and Drug Against War. That's plenty old stuff. I'd def see that show if I had the chance.

... some of my favorite songs by them. I'm so excited.

KUNST is a pretty good album, honestly; it's on-par with the rest of the nuKMFDM repertoire and the more I've listened to it, the more it's grown on me.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Not EBM? I don't like their vocal style and it's definitely on the smoother side than terrordeathmurdercore or whatever the hell. But not EBM?

Yeah, it just sounds like ok generic electronic, none of the darker or more introspective musical elements I associate with Grendel or EBM in general. I'll give it a few more listens and see if it grows on me, though. I didn't like Harsh Generation that much at first either but now it's one of my favorite albums.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I caught a really cool EBM/industrial/dark electronic musician at South by Southwest this last Friday. Xander Harris is a local artist here who does 80s cyberpunk-themed instrumental music and has an album named after the book Snow Crash (try the song BIOS), a song sampling the 1984 movie Dune, and a really sweet album called Urban Gothic.

The sound was great and was in small theater that felt like it was from a David Lynch movie. Really tiny, with only about a six-foot space in front of the stage to stand, and then maybe 30 or 40 elevated seats behind that (it's normally used for live comedy), in something like four rows, and with a bunch of avant-garde-looking motherfuckers sitting there staring. And here was this guy on stage, with a green curtain behind him, fog machines, and a bunch of keyboards and computers playing it loud. I was half-expecting Dennis Hopper to be sitting in the corner and sucking on an oxygen tank.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 18, 2013

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho
I'm at the KMFDM show tonight at House of Blues in Chicago, if anyone wants to come out. Will probably hit up an after party too

Look for the girl with the white blond Mohawk and Laibach tshirt with a big cross on the front (and grey boots). PM me if you want to make plans too.

e: Went to HOB in Chicago, and then Shank Hall in Milwaukee the next night. HOB was a pretty terrible crowd: really drunk, lots of fistfights and unpleasantness. Shank Hall was fantastic, though -- it was basically a small bar with a raised stage, so it was easy to get right up to the bands (fist bump from Sascha, I can die happy). Definitely a great venue to see them, and it was a really great crowd, too: very well behaved, good vibes, etc.

CHANT is really interesting; they have a good stage show and the guys in it are really cool - I talked to them after the show a little (and bought a shirt, natch); would definitely see them again. Their music is energetic; it's just synth + drums (and drumming on random poo poo like trash cans), they fit more into KMFDM-ish style music than LW, but whatever.

Legion Within was one of those bands that seems to be really close to being excellent, but still has to iron some of its poo poo out before they're fantastic. They played a really short set at Shank Hall, but the audio setup was better (and the small setting was fantastic). The lead came out both nights to sing the Skold part of Anarchy with KMFDM. The members were around after, so meeting them was kinda neat.

KMFDMs set was pretty much the same both nights, played 4-5 songs off KUNST and then older stuff (mostly nuKMFDM, though - Potz Blitz, Hau Ruck, Tohuvabohu). They opened with DIY at both shows, played two encores, and put on pretty long sets (1h45m - 2h). Lively stage presence.

leahlionheart fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 26, 2013

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Resistanz this next weekend! Woohoo! Although, most of my friends have failed to actually get round to booking it, and the weather isn't looking like it'll improve any time soon (which doesn't bode well for travel if Britain is still an icy wasteland..) but still... woo!

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
And I definitely can't afford it. I am so upset. :(

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I like KUNST.

Well, the songs I like I like a lot, and all the others don't really do anything for me. I'd have been happy with just an EP with Kunst, Ave Maria, and Pussy Riot on it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'll be going to KMFDM tonight. :woop:
I prefer skold era KMFDM the most.. but should still be fun.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

deong posted:

I'll be going to KMFDM tonight. :woop:
I prefer skold era KMFDM the most.. but should still be fun.

So jealous! HAVE FUN!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ms. Happiness posted:

So jealous! HAVE FUN!

It was a great show. They played a good mix of popular hits and new songs. Megalomaniac/Drug Against War were pretty crazy. Good mosh pit antics. I tried to crowd surf, but the front rows were not paying attention and I just did a slow grabby decent to the floor while informing everyone how much they suck.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
I just finished a Revolting Cocks cover for the musician's lounge rockstar competition. I thought you guys might enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/iio-industrial/iioioioii-gently caress-money-revolting

Feedback is always welcome as well.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Crazy excited about seeing Funker Vogt tomorrow. Was the polar opposite of excited about Alien Vampires tonight though...

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Is AV bad live? Or is their music just not the best? Haven't heard/seen much of them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Their music really doesn't appeal to me, and their live show was a bit too "woo we're edgy and alternative!" for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Isn't "woo we're edgy and alternative!" pretty much the entirety of AV?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't "woo we're edgy and alternative!" pretty much the entirety of AV?

The promo pics were enough for me. I'm quessing four on the floor with whispered distorted vocals.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
So Resistanz pretty much rocked.

Funker Vogt, Ivardensphere and Neuroticfish were the definite highlights for me - so loving good seeing FV again and just loved Ivardensphere and Neuroticfish.

Also, C-Lekktor was the most enjoyable of the bands I hadn't previously heard of, but I kinda missed a lot of the bands on Sunday due to being very, very hungover after Saturday night shenanigans. This sucked, since I really wanted to see Voster, given that I love other projects of the Voster dudes.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Is this the place where we can gush over the new Mesh album "Automation Baby"? Anyone? It's been out in Europe for a few weeks but isn't officially released in USA til April 9th, but you can buy a digital copy if you want, or import it. I guess Mesh is a bit more synthpop than Industrial Dance, but... but... Metropolis/Dependent. :cry:

I ordered an import copy of the LE and it finally showed up on Thursday. As predicted, I have found the next CD that will play on repeat in my car for months. It's the first new release from any band that blows just about all of their previous stuff out of the water. The few reviews of it I've found online have been glowing.

Official video for "Born to Lie"
Neat 'pre-release' video for "You Couldn't See This Coming"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Gee I wonder what the new :W: album sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puETkhOAsnY

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

So I caught a really cool EBM/industrial/dark electronic musician at South by Southwest this last Friday. Xander Harris is a local artist here who does 80s cyberpunk-themed instrumental music and has an album named after the book Snow Crash (try the song BIOS), a song sampling the 1984 movie Dune, and a really sweet album called Urban Gothic.

The sound was great and was in small theater that felt like it was from a David Lynch movie. Really tiny, with only about a six-foot space in front of the stage to stand, and then maybe 30 or 40 elevated seats behind that (it's normally used for live comedy), in something like four rows, and with a bunch of avant-garde-looking motherfuckers sitting there staring. And here was this guy on stage, with a green curtain behind him, fog machines, and a bunch of keyboards and computers playing it loud. I was half-expecting Dennis Hopper to be sitting in the corner and sucking on an oxygen tank.

This guy's really good, but he honestly has more in common with stuff like Perturbator, Kavinsky, College, and Makeup and Vanity Set from what I'm hearing. His stuff doesn't really seem... I dunno, gritty enough to be industrial.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Gee I wonder what the new :W: album sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puETkhOAsnY

I LIKE IT! :woop:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There's also a new Spetsnaz album out! (it sounds exactly the same as the last one, basically - which is I guess what people expect with old school EBM?)

http://soundcloud.com/darkdimensions-1/spetsnaz-fake

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 3, 2013

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Sorry for the double post, but did you UK folks know that Frontline Assembly are playing here in August?

There's definitely London and Glasgow dates (21st and 22nd August respectively) but more importantly, it seems that their support for these dates is Haujobb! :getin:

Edit: Haha, the Glasgow date is the night before Infest. WARM UP IS GO!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm hoping for a Swedish date again, since there's little hope for a gig in Finland. I probably wouldn't travel all the way to Central Europe just to catch one FLA show, but I'd be glad to hop over to, say, Stockholm again for them.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Come on guys, you've done Manchester before.. I believe in you...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also, there's apparently an FLA album, Echo Genetic, coming out in July.

Also I found Descent II at Goodwill and it's got an excellent metal/industrial soundtrack that will play right off your car stereo, since it's from that era. Good times.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 11, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Details on next month's SP album!

quote:

Electro-industrial legends Skinny Puppy return late next month with their 12th studio album in 30 years, a timely 10-song collection called Weapon that the band’s publicists say stands as a philosophical commentary on “the concurrent glorification of the gun culture and simultaneous horror at the devastation guns can cause.”

Due out May 28 on Metropolis Records, the album finds Skinny Puppy — niVek ohGr, cEvin Key and Mark Walk — melding electro, industrial, New Wave and rock sounds via what the band refers to as “simple and direct songwriting with strong abstract themes that correlate to the deeper concepts within the recording.”

Of the band’s decision to address gun violence as the album’s central theme, Ogre says:

quote:

“Weapons and pharmaceuticals become the last bastion of investment wealth, the last stop for manufacturing in a crumbling power system still promoting mutual assured destruction. To maim, sicken and control, by genetically radiating and bombing populations back to the Stone Age; then manage the mutations through new medicines while claiming the race for a cure of this self-inflicted environmental disease is right around the corner… Weapons then procure the evolutionary next step. We are weapons.”

The album will be released on CD as well as limited-edition, 180-gram audiophile vinyl.

Tracklist: Skinny Puppy, Weapon

1. “Wornin’”
2. “IllisiT”
3. “SaLvo”
4. “GLowbeL”
5. “Solvent”
6. “ParagUn”
7. “Survivalisto”
8. “Tsudanama”
9. “PlastiCage”
10. “Terminal”

I see they haven't abandoned their song naming convention.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I see they haven't abandoned their song naming convention.

Or gotten rid of Mark Walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Turns out that Icon of Coil are touring the UK this summer too, woo!

Edit: Also Aesthetic Perfection!

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 12, 2013