Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I think that smaller plots can look good if you make sure to stagger them, and make use of irregularly shaped fields, and line the fields with tree borderlines. I also like to stick a single square of light residential next to the work building, making it a family farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Iunnrais posted:

I also like to stick a single square of light residential next to the work building, making it a family farm.

Oh cool. I'm not the only one who's done this. :cheers:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

So I know this was addressed earlier, but I've tried everything I can think of to fix it and my cities are still just showing up as flat grassy plains on the region mapmode. I've tried windowed and fullscreen, never tabbing out while attempting to save. Does anyone have a sure-fire way to fix this? I'm trying to get some friends to play a multiplayer region with me and they're the kind of people who are likely to sperg out about something like this. :ohdear:

vv That looks awesome, like something out of Anno 2070. vv

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 27, 2013

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

benzine posted:

That's like 500 meters, sure I'd walk that, most of them are lazy, but NAM change th.

Time for some images, of a building I like.

You can get it here and more extra images.

Thanks. It's pretty neat. I built mine next to a canal shopping mall complex which I found off Simtropolis:

Pretty neat!

Think I might replace out the park tiles though with something else. Not sure what though yet. Probably plaza tile would be the recommended choice.

EDIT: Yes, I realise it looks a bit out of place at the moment. City is still growing, but high density buildings are coming in pretty fast. Will probably need to lay down transport infrastructure (subways a go-go!)

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Is it dumb to put farms right next to rivers? Will they end up turning the water black like dirty industry?

-Thanks for the earlier farm answers.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 27, 2013

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Uh.... sure.

My industrial city is powered by Fukushima NPP

Residential / Commercial sector. I think I have this "urban planning" thing nailed :v:
And yeah, as you can see sometimes portions of the bulding models just don't load. :iiam:

A detail of the City Hall area with weird statue and some... parks. I tried, okay?

This is where I got the power plant and statue: http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/somy000/ Scroll dooooooown the page until you find clicable pictures.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hrm, I suddenly started getting brown boxes in my city. Any tips for how to track down where they come from? I suspect it's from the CAM-Industry starter pack, since I just installed that looking for more variety in my smog-filled hellscapes of unbreathable air.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
I was taking a closer look at the scrfeenshots in the OP and I noticed one that has buildings properly facing a diagonal street. Are they just plops made for that? Or I have been missing something?

I circled them here:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

edit: I can't read. Sorry

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Still just making basic grid like cities. Was just wanted to ask for some advice.

1: When should I start zoning more residential areas?It's in demand but I know you shouldn't just zone stuff because it is in demand. I was waiting for all the low income housing to become bungalow.

2: When should I start building a police force up?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Starhawk posted:

I was taking a closer look at the scrfeenshots in the OP and I noticed one that has buildings properly facing a diagonal street. Are they just plops made for that? Or I have been missing something?

The first, search for diagonal and w2w (Wall to wall) on STEX and LEX.

Examples:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1324
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26138-farngaten-18-orthogonal-and-diagonal-w2w/

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Starhawk posted:

I circled them here:

Plops I think. Definitely haven't seen buildings go diagonal by default.

Would love to know what that big building is to the south of the top area. Looks like a theatre or something. Its pretty amazing looking.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

WMain00 posted:

Would love to know what that big building is to the south of the top area. Looks like a theatre or something. Its pretty amazing looking.

It's merged with the station too, that's strange.

Also, I only just noticed after 10 years of looking at the front cover of the box:

What on earth is that tower? Every other one I think I've seen in game, but does that one ever appear?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I think it's supposed to be this one:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
No that one is to the right of it

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
What's the penalty for having train stations over capacity? I've got one at over 200% right now and I'm still trying to figure out what to do about it.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Hey I just reinstalled this with the reccomended starting options and the ground turns all black at the highest zoom level. Lesser zoom is normal looking but I'd love to get rid of the black filter, any ideas?

Also is there a way to make nights brighter? They're nearly pitch black on my monitor and I can barely see buildings anymore.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Do you guys have any recommendations for when you want to build a University? The default one packed with the game seems a bit dull, but there doesn't seem to be that many other options on Simtropolis.

Also what's the difference between College and University in this game?

I'm trying to think up a good aesthetic appearance for an education centre in my main city, but I'm having a hard time.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

jellycat posted:

What's the penalty for having train stations over capacity? I've got one at over 200% right now and I'm still trying to figure out what to do about it.

Due to the way the game/NAM works, there is no penalty until the station reaches 400% capacity, at which point it stops working.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Anomalies posted:

Due to the way the game/NAM works, there is no penalty until the station reaches 400% capacity, at which point it stops working.

I think that's 500%, at least I see several stations pegged at that in my goon-region city.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
So I have Simcity 4 deluxe, installed NAM v31, Opera house/Space Port fix, and SPAM am I good to go?

E: Thanks

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 29, 2013

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Manac0r posted:

So I have Simcity 4 deluxe, installed NAM v31, Opera house/Space Port fix, and SAM am I good to go?

Nam 31 isn't finalized yet, so I'd use 30, and I'm guessing you meant SPAM?

Other than that, yea you're good to go if you've never played before. What you have is a good start.

Once you get close to getting bored, you'll probably want to get stuff like CAM and individual buildings.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

Nam 31 isn't finalized yet, so I'd use 30, and I'm guessing you meant SPAM?

Yes I did, so should I uninstall v31? Any links for v30? What size is it?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Manac0r posted:

Yes I did, so should I uninstall v31? Any links for v30? What size is it?

You could install only the basic, must of NAM 31 problems and bugs come from the RHW and puzzle pieces.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

How do I install the plugin packs, just extract into plugin directory? Do I have to take the separate subfolders and put them in the plugin directory or does that not matter?

Can't seem to get them to run, the game desktops anytime I try to load a city :(

Dvega
Aug 2, 2006

The most magical song of all.
I don't know if this is a known trick, I haven't seen it posted around, but I was doing some experimenting with NAM pieces and managed this today:

Just when I thought I was free, now I've got a region full of industrial areas to reconfigure :(

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I have a question for people who are more well-versed in transport theory/NAM add-ons than me.

I'm trying to create a city with no stoplights at all; just nothing but roundabouts, and the stoplightless intersections that Street intersections create. In order to make transport less of an issue, I'll probably not go further than medium density anywhere in the city. I people's experience will I need more arterial roads separating my 'neighborhoods', and will a ring-route monorail like the one pictured tend to be sufficient, or would it be in my best interests to create a few branches in the middle to join the top and bottom tracks at multiple points?

For context; regional view transport map. City is top-leftmost Medium city.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Can you connect landmark factories that come with rail lines on the plot to a normal rail line that connects to your network?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

az posted:

Can you connect landmark factories that come with rail lines on the plot to a normal rail line that connects to your network?

If they're transport-enabled, yes. Probably good to have a switch before/after, though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How are you guys getting the game to run at higher resolutions? The highest I see in the settings menu is like 1078x748 or whatever and I can't stand it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Reason posted:

How are you guys getting the game to run at higher resolutions? The highest I see in the settings menu is like 1078x748 or whatever and I can't stand it.

If you're launching through steam, add
code:
-CustomResolution:enabled -r1680x1050x32
to your launch options. Or if it's a shortcut, add it to the end of the launch command.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

I use this as you can set custom resolution and enable autosaves.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher/

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

I don't like a lot of mods. NAM, RTMT, and an industry tripler are about all that's in here.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

metallicaeg posted:

I don't like a lot of mods. NAM, RTMT, and an industry tripler are about all that's in here.
A good looking city would look even better with some custom skyscrapers!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

James The 1st posted:

A good looking city would look even better with some custom skyscrapers!
I still have so many of the stock level 8 buildings to get!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

metallicaeg posted:

Could you please do me a massive favour? Could you take a screenshot of a built-up skyscraper area like this, and then take another one in the same position but using the Zones view so that I can see the underlying road system? My region has just hit the region-based threshold for mass development of skyscraper-style buildings, but I'm having trouble creating transport systems that can support them and would like to get a few ideas about layout.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Breetai posted:

Could you please do me a massive favour? Could you take a screenshot of a built-up skyscraper area like this, and then take another one in the same position but using the Zones view so that I can see the underlying road system? My region has just hit the region-based threshold for mass development of skyscraper-style buildings, but I'm having trouble creating transport systems that can support them and would like to get a few ideas about layout.

A warning: this city is an absolute clusterfuck of people and accounts for over 95% of my region's population. I hit load city and immediately get the transport advisor sticking his finger in my face shouting about how half the roads and avenues are way over capacity.

Residential skycraper area:

Commercial skyscraper area:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SourceElement posted:

A warning: this city is an absolute clusterfuck of people and accounts for over 95% of my region's population. I hit load city and immediately get the transport advisor sticking his finger in my face shouting about how half the roads and avenues are way over capacity.

Residential skycraper area:

Commercial skyscraper area:

Thanks for that - really appreciate it.

On a transport-related note, am I right in assuming that Subway stations are like Railway stations in that they don't need to be on every block if you've got a robust bus system? Sims seem to be happy getting on a bus to the subway and then taking the subway, getting on a bus, and travelling to work from there. Is there a general consensus for how dense the stations need to be in residential or commercial/industrial areas? I tried using them for the first time today, and pretty much made a grid of tracks/stations, but it seems that a more conservative approach to laying them down could save me money.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Breetai posted:

Thanks for that - really appreciate it.

On a transport-related note, am I right in assuming that Subway stations are like Railway stations in that they don't need to be on every block if you've got a robust bus system? Sims seem to be happy getting on a bus to the subway and then taking the subway, getting on a bus, and travelling to work from there. Is there a general consensus for how dense the stations need to be in residential or commercial/industrial areas? I tried using them for the first time today, and pretty much made a grid of tracks/stations, but it seems that a more conservative approach to laying them down could save me money.

Answering my own question after experimenting for anyone else who's not had much experience with subways: GET THEM, but only at higher level cities. They're basically a 'no traffic congestion ever' approach to planning in conjunction with adequately placed bus stops. I managed to get L8 skyscrapers for the first time plus a mid-sized city of 350,000+ people for the first time today, and as for the traffic situation, well;

:stare:

Less cars than anything else. Max pedestrians.

See the little traffic counter for the road that my cursor is on in the top of the screen? That one stretch of road is the only thing connecting that entire neighbourhood of 65,000 people to the rest of the city. Everyone else is taking the subway. Practically no-one uses cars, and my city is predominantly $$ or $$$ sims. For the two residential neighbourhoods at the bottom of my screen, all but one or two of the skyscrapers you see have a population that is dedicated 100% to public transport. You need busses every 6 tiles, and those areas are probably oversaturated with subway stations every six tiles as well, but those buildings are all facing streets, and the only areas where there's congestion is around intersections.

That being said, the subway network is costing me about $10,000 in ongoing fees to run, so it's only really worthwhile in cities of 150,000+ residents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Any tips for making dirty industry look good? I always fall into the "commercial buffers industrial" pitfall. I've been mixing R and C to make things organic but I end up making a giant industrial section isolated from everything else. Also, is there a guide to bus station placement? I'm using the Old Fashioned pack.

• Locked thread