Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hazmat Sam posted:

Military refroms for uncivs in V2 will now let you gain research points for modernizing by conquering neighboring uncivs.
HoD needs to come out right now. I can't wait to start the Zulu science program. :getin:

Somehow I accidentally read that as "Zulu Space Program". :jeb:

Darkrenown posted:

It's scaled by the % of your army in the battle, so since you are not actually using much of it it generates less score. It's a minor battle for you.

If you didn't catch the stream: HoD release date confirmed for April 16th!

Also there's a sale on the Paradox Webshop, it gives Steam codes.

Aaahhh. I see. So there's the disadvantage with having an army of 4 million men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I can't tell if that mod is satire or not :negative:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Aaahhh. I see. So there's the disadvantage with having an army of 4 million men.
That bothers me a fair amount, mostly because if an AI declares war on you but has no hope of success, even if you swat all their armies you don't have enough warscore to really force a peace, so they can just sit in perpetual war with you because they're a lot weaker than you.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Holy crap the stream chat is a gigantic cesspool of idiotic and absurd nationalism and racism. I know that's the stereotype of the Paradox forums but drat.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The famous Comanche Jungle Warriors.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Elukka posted:

Holy crap the stream chat is a gigantic cesspool of idiotic and absurd nationalism and racism. I know that's the stereotype of the Paradox forums but drat.

That's rather unfair to the forum really. The stream commenters were terrible though, I bailed as soon as my game as done. From the amount of "What game is this?" and "When does bannermen come out?" questions it seemed like most of them weren't forumites.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

That's rather unfair to the forum really. The stream commenters were terrible though, I bailed as soon as my game as done. From the amount of "What game is this?" and "When does bannermen come out?" questions it seemed like most of them weren't forumites.

There are a lot of nationalistic posters on the Paradox forums, but usually you can avoid the threads (anything with Balkans/Byzantine in the name pretty much). I think the stream chat just collected all of them into one spot, which is why it looks so bad.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cowcatcher posted:

If China is a democracy and bad poo poo happens leading them to conclude the people lost the Mandate, do they switch to a Dictatorship...?

You would think that logically democracy would be well suited for Mandate of Heaven thinking, especially if its a Parliamentary system. Lost the mandate? Dissolve the government and elect a new one!

The problem with civilized china is that the economic model in victoria doesn't realistically respond to changing circumstances, its meant to allow 2-3 nations industrialize while the rest provide resources. RGO's need* to naturally expand and become more productive as demand increases to simulate the opening of new mines/farms/whatever as demand goes up. Right now prices don't really move, I've seen fish shortages in some games and the price stayed as it was for like 10 years and no one moved to the perpetually empty RGO's.

*Or to solve the empty rgo problem if demand is greater than supply put a +100% bonus to immigration and labourer/farmer conversion in those provinces so they fill up.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jan Mayen :allears:

SeaTard posted:

There are a lot of nationalistic posters on the Paradox forums, but usually you can avoid the threads (anything with Balkans/Byzantine in the name pretty much). I think the stream chat just collected all of them into one spot, which is why it looks so bad.

Could easily be 4chan as well, there's always a dedicated grand strategy thread over there.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

civilized china

Oh this just reminded me: does that mean DrSunshine is going to destroy the world economy once he gets industry up and running? I recall people telling stories about that in earlier V2 versions.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Me and a friend of mine were trying to play CK2 together but we ran into a problem where our soldiers would spend forever moving, and the date they would arrive kept increasing by 1 each day. We can play single player fine independently but together it didn't work. My friend tried two different computers, we played before a few months ago and it was fine, but this time he had that strange problem. We're playing with CK2+, and the no de jure drift, gender equality and divided Muslims modules if it makes a difference.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrProsek posted:

Me and a friend of mine were trying to play CK2 together but we ran into a problem where our soldiers would spend forever moving, and the date they would arrive kept increasing by 1 each day. We can play single player fine independently but together it didn't work. My friend tried two different computers, we played before a few months ago and it was fine, but this time he had that strange problem. We're playing with CK2+, and the no de jure drift, gender equality and divided Muslims modules if it makes a difference.

Did you update to the newest CK2+? I think today was the day that Wiz made CK2+ compatible with the most recent patch.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

nutranurse posted:

Did you update to the newest CK2+? I think today was the day that Wiz made CK2+ compatible with the most recent patch.

Oh, that would do it. Yeah we were using 1.33.15. Thanks!

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Elukka posted:

While no one will deny the paradox forums has insane amount of nationalism i have never seen Racism on the forums?
And i never see clean stream chats anyway.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Could easily be 4chan as well, there's always a dedicated grand strategy thread over there.

They're not really that bad, compared to the worst parts of the paradox forums.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is there any way to make the pre-recorded Twitch TV video play at a lower quality? My lovely, lovely rural DSL gasps and cries at five hours of high-def video. :smith:

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Hey I just picked up Darkest Hour and was wondering what the best way to go about learning how to play it is. I've seen the recommendations for starter nations but it seems pretty overwhelming to have to manage the land, sea and air forces, is there a tutorial LP or something that tells me what to do with the sliders and such?

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

BillBear posted:

While no one will deny the paradox forums has insane amount of nationalism i have never seen Racism on the forums?

Is there really a big difference between nationalism and racism?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
There's no dev diary for EU4 during easter week, but they released info on two idea groups:
code:
aristocracy_ideas = {
	category = MIL

bonus = {
		cavalry_power = 0.1
	}

trigger = {
		OR = {
			government = monarchy
			government = noble_republic
		}
	}

noble_knights = {
		cavalry_cost = -0.33
	}
	serfdom = {
		global_manpower_modifier = 0.5
	}
	noble_officers = {
		leader_shock	= 1
	}
	local_nobility = {
		enemy_core_creation = 1.0
	}
	international_nobility = {
		diplomats = 1
	}
	noble_resilience = {
		max_war_exhaustion = -2
	}
	military_traditions = {
		mil_tech_cost_modifier  = -0.1
	}
}

plutocracy_ideas = {
	category = MIL

bonus = {
		technology_cost = -0.1
	}

trigger = {
		NOT = { government = monarchy }
		NOT = { government = noble_republic }
	}

tradition_of_payment = {
		possible_mercenaries = 0.50
	}
	abolished_serfdom = {
		land_morale = 0.25
	}
	bill_of_rights = {
		global_revolt_risk = -1
	}
	free_merchants = {
		merchants = 1
	}
	free_subjects = {
		production_efficiency = 0.2
	}
	humanist_tolerance = {
		tolerance_heathen = 2
	}
	emancipation = {
		manpower_recovery_speed = 0.2
	}
}
Interesting that you can't really choose what to focus on, since they're restricted by government type.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can't make it to mid April to get some hearts of darkness. :cry: I can't play V2 (or any game really) right before a major expansion pack release.

I want newspapers and crisies and naval battles goddamnit!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of nationalism on the Paradox forums, was titling the DD about the Ottomans "EUIV: The Heir of Rome" intentionally meant to stir them up? With very little exaggeration, every other post in that thread was ":qq: I read the title and thought it was going to be about the Byzantines! I want the Byzantines! :qq:" I'm really hoping that was an intentional jab, because that was hilarious.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Speaking of nationalism on the Paradox forums, was titling the DD about the Ottomans "EUIV: The Heir of Rome" intentionally meant to stir them up? With very little exaggeration, every other post in that thread was ":qq: I read the title and thought it was going to be about the Byzantines! I want the Byzantines! :qq:" I'm really hoping that was an intentional jab, because that was hilarious.

Of course...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm actually surprised you guys didn't start in 1453 after the fall of Constantinople.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Nightblade posted:

There's no dev diary for EU4 during easter week, but they released info on two idea groups:

Interesting that you can't really choose what to focus on, since they're restricted by government type.

Hmm, I like that the ideas don't just seem to be inversions of eachother (so like the aristocratic idea gives +10% cav, the plutocratic idea gives +10% infantry) and both seem to have multiple uses so no nation would be too hindered by going plutocratic or aristocratic. The government type restriction seems odd but the only major forms of government I can see being restricted from plutocratic or aristocratic ideas is a theocracy which would seem strange having an aristocracy or plutocracy.

E: Oh wait I misread those triggers.... yeah it seems a bit annoying my monarchy is stuck as a aristocratic mess. Oh well, seems easy enough to mod though. I get that super progressive monarchies with tolerance and bills of rights and free subjects were rare to say the least but I'd rather have stuff like penalties for monarchies going too plutocratic and republics going too aristocratic than just flat out no intermingling.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 28, 2013

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Beamed posted:

This makes sense - I always am sad when I see an oddly weak Persia in EU3. :(

It's probably, because for some god-forsaken reason, shiites get a - 10 % tax penalty and in return get a measly morale bonus of 0.05 or something, Sunnis are just stronger.

Also, maybe it's just my miscmod, but Japan is constanly attacking Persia and the Arabian peninsula and even taking land there, no idea.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

pdxjohan posted:

Of course...

If you really wanted to screw with them, 1444 would have the Despotate of Morea as a separate tag independent from the rump Byzantines (with an alliance and a shared dynasty). That might screw with balance more than you'd like, though.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Elukka posted:

Don't forget the "Steam is evil malware," crowd.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Dibujante posted:

That bothers me a fair amount, mostly because if an AI declares war on you but has no hope of success, even if you swat all their armies you don't have enough warscore to really force a peace, so they can just sit in perpetual war with you because they're a lot weaker than you.
Warscore should really be scaling to the loser's army size. A 4 million man army losing 10k or so ain't no thang, but a 4 million man army crushing a nation's entire 25k army is definitely a major battle.

BillBear posted:

Someone posted a thread asking if Ireland would be included in the crisis system shortly after that DD was posted. It took until post #3 for the racial slurs to start flying. What's worse is that the moderator showed up, went "I'm Irish, guys, it's cool", and didn't do anything about it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrProsek posted:

E: Oh wait I misread those triggers.... yeah it seems a bit annoying my monarchy is stuck as a aristocratic mess. Oh well, seems easy enough to mod though. I get that super progressive monarchies with tolerance and bills of rights and free subjects were rare to say the least but I'd rather have stuff like penalties for monarchies going too plutocratic and republics going too aristocratic than just flat out no intermingling.

I like the system because it means that if you go revolutionary (like France), you'd probably lose the Aristocratic ideas and have the opportunity to take plutocratic ideas instead.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Patter Song posted:

If you really wanted to screw with them, 1444 would have the Despotate of Morea as a separate tag independent from the rump Byzantines (with an alliance and a shared dynasty). That might screw with balance more than you'd like, though.

No, the absolute best thing would be to have the game start in 1453, on the 28th of May. Thrace would be at 100% siege progress, being occupied the next day. Let them play the Byzantine Empire, but 2 days into the game they'll be annexed.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I like the system because it means that if you go revolutionary (like France), you'd probably lose the Aristocratic ideas and have the opportunity to take plutocratic ideas instead.

Yeah, it's pretty cool if that's the intended case. Hopefully the French national ideas that were showcased a while back take that into account, and Liberte, Égalité, Fraternité is only available if the French Revolution happens.

By the way, I'm kind of hoping that Paradox includes the Azerimod setup for Victoria II as a bonus scenario for HoD since Wiz is working on it, though I know that probably isn't going to be the case.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So I just bought Victoria II and Hearts of Iron III, any place for me to get a tutorial like those LPs for CK2 and EUIII?

Also, should I buy A House Divided or should I wait for it to go on sale?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

JGBeagle posted:

So I just bought Victoria II and Hearts of Iron III, any place for me to get a tutorial like those LPs for CK2 and EUIII?

Don't know about HoI3 but people ask about a Vicky 2 LP all the time and I've never seen an answer. When Heart of Darkness drops that might kindle some interest. Maybe some of us could chip in a few bucks to buy the expansion as an incentive for someone who'd make a good faith effort to do an instructional LP.

Also, just picked up Darkest Hour, same question -- good beginner's guide? I assume with Kaiserreich since everyone says that's the way to play.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JGBeagle posted:

The next expansion for Victoria 2, Heart of Darkness, is coming out on April 16th, there will certainly be a sale for A House Divided then, so you should wait. Might as well grab the whole package then.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

DrProsek posted:

Hmm, I like that the ideas don't just seem to be inversions of eachother (so like the aristocratic idea gives +10% cav, the plutocratic idea gives +10% infantry) and both seem to have multiple uses so no nation would be too hindered by going plutocratic or aristocratic. The government type restriction seems odd but the only major forms of government I can see being restricted from plutocratic or aristocratic ideas is a theocracy which would seem strange having an aristocracy or plutocracy.

Remember these are ideas, you don't mix and match the two tracks, you take one of the two tracks and unlock the ideas in order.
If you can go both aristocracy and plutocracy by end game you will have all the ideas in both tracks.

Spiderfist Island posted:

Yeah, it's pretty cool if that's the intended case. Hopefully the French national ideas that were showcased a while back take that into account, and Liberte, Égalité, Fraternité is only available if the French Revolution happens.

Punishing people for going off the rails of history is awful.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SeaTard posted:

No, the absolute best thing would be to have the game start in 1453, on the 28th of May. Thrace would be at 100% siege progress, being occupied the next day. Let them play the Byzantine Empire, but 2 days into the game they'll be annexed.

They would just load up as the Ottomans and surrender to the Byzantines before switching over though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Huh. Watching the Paradox stream and they asked if there was any chance Paradox would do a fantasy or sci-fi game based on their engine and Johan declined to answer and then laughed while rubbing his hands together. Could this be the 'super-secret project' they've referred to occasionally?

I'm just going to pretend it's Paradox Presents: Master of Magic until I am (inevitably) disillusioned.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's gonna be EUIV, except reskinned so that it's basically EU in space, with a map of the galaxy instead of Europe. The "E" in this case stands for "Earth".

EDIT: If you're playing an Alien race, the more Earthlike you are, the faster your tech progresses and the better your economy. Playing as the crystalline race sucks. :(

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 28, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DrSunshine posted:

It's gonna be EUIV, except reskinned so that it's basically EU in space, with a map of the galaxy instead of Europe. The "E" in this case stands for "Earth".

EDIT: If you're playing an Alien race, the more Earthlike you are, the faster your tech progresses and the better your economy. Playing as the crystalline race sucks. :(

No, it'll be called Europa Universalis and the closer you are to Europa(Either on Earth or Europa, the moon), the faster your tech rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Remember these are ideas, you don't mix and match the two tracks, you take one of the two tracks and unlock the ideas in order.
If you can go both aristocracy and plutocracy by end game you will have all the ideas in both tracks.

...oh :(. That's a real downer. I mean, I get that my society with Serfdom but also Humanist Tolerance might make little sense but this also seems to make there no point in not going max plutocracy or max aristocracy. I mean I get that this isn't like exactly like sliders in EUIII, but I always felt max plutocracy or aristocracy should be an unquestioning good thing.

• Locked thread