Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I have a gaggle of in-laws coming to visit over the weekend and I'm going to smoke a port butt for them. Okay, full disclosure: also doing this for me, because leftovers! This is my fourth butt, and even though I'm using the goofy Alton Brown flower pot smoker they've all turned out moist and delicious. I feel like switching things up a bit this time, though. I'm using a different rub (the spicy one from Ruhlman's Charcuterie). I think I want to do a slightly unusual sauce. Maybe something with fruit. Nothing too crazy, though, there's some picky eaters here. I've dealt with these folks several times and the trick seems to be to not have it too bizarre on the surface, just to get them to try it, but then once they've started eating I'm usually home free (unless I screwed it up horribly).

Are any of you sitting on some good sauce recipes?

e: to top off the new page, here's a picture of the pastrami I made a a few months ago (again, from Charcuterie). Also on the goofy Alton Brown flower pot smoker. It turned out great, and was very easy to make, and I'd really like to do it again. Also, I'd definitely steam it to finish as it mentions in the book. I was worried it might end up a little tough when I pulled it off the smoker, but after the steaming it was nice and juicy and tender and felt like it was not very shy of flaking apart (if I remember right I had to stop steaming about 45 minutes earlier than I wanted because I had to deliver the finished product to a party). Also, the toasted and crushed black pepper/coriander for the crust? I think it's my favorite smell ever.

nominal fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

nominal posted:

e: to top off the new page, here's a picture of the pastrami I made a a few months ago (again, from Charcuterie). Also on the goofy Alton Brown flower pot smoker. It turned out great, and was very easy to make, and I'd really like to do it again. Also, I'd definitely steam it to finish as it mentions in the book. I was worried it might end up a little tough when I pulled it off the smoker, but after the steaming it was nice and juicy and tender and felt like it was not very shy of flaking apart (if I remember right I had to stop steaming about 45 minutes earlier than I wanted because I had to deliver the finished product to a party). Also, the toasted and crushed black pepper/coriander for the crust? I think it's my favorite smell ever.

That poo poo was delicious. Once it warms up in this godforsaken hellhole I want to do a pastrami like that on my new smoker, but with some red pepper flake mixed in with the black pepper and coriander.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

nominal posted:

I have a gaggle of in-laws coming to visit over the weekend and I'm going to smoke a port butt for them. Okay, full disclosure: also doing this for me, because leftovers! This is my fourth butt, and even though I'm using the goofy Alton Brown flower pot smoker they've all turned out moist and delicious. I feel like switching things up a bit this time, though. I'm using a different rub (the spicy one from Ruhlman's Charcuterie). I think I want to do a slightly unusual sauce. Maybe something with fruit. Nothing too crazy, though, there's some picky eaters here. I've dealt with these folks several times and the trick seems to be to not have it too bizarre on the surface, just to get them to try it, but then once they've started eating I'm usually home free (unless I screwed it up horribly).

Are any of you sitting on some good sauce recipes?

I've added that book to my Amazon wish list, that pastrami is making my mouth water.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Brisket in England is totally different. It tends to be in a circle and tied with string. Is it just that cut tied up? Is it a different cut? Its definitely not as suitable to make pastrami from if only for the pepper cover

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
From what little I was able to find online, it looks like it's a bit of a different cut. You might still be able to work with it, though. The pastrami in this Guardian article looks like it turned out pretty good! I'd probably follow it pretty closely, smoke it about as low as you can for as long as you can, then finish by steaming. Those last pics in the article there don't look too much thinner than how mine ended up turning out (I remember mine did shrink quite a bit by the time it was done cooking).

I'm not sure how butcher culture is over there, but at the place I go to here in the US, they (generally) really enjoy talking about meat, and are usually pretty happy when I come in and tell them I'm trying something a little unusual. A few weeks before you want to go for it I'd try finding a good butcher, telling him what you intend on doing, and seeing if he can accommodate you.

It's interesting, though, I never thought having different style of cuts of brisket here in the US compared to what folks have in the UK.

nominal fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 8, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
When I first opened this thread I thought it was a joke thread like the margarita machines in GBS but all the cool gadgets and poo poo are real. This is pretty cool stuff.

If I wanted to spend max 1500 on a setup what would I be looking at for my best options? Is the BGE the de facto winner over all? Would that budget allow me to get a complete setup with all the gadgets I could need?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hold out for a used BGE. They are fantastic (I'm on my third one) but not worth 1500.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

demonachizer posted:

When I first opened this thread I thought it was a joke thread like the margarita machines in GBS but all the cool gadgets and poo poo are real. This is pretty cool stuff.

If I wanted to spend max 1500 on a setup what would I be looking at for my best options? Is the BGE the de facto winner over all? Would that budget allow me to get a complete setup with all the gadgets I could need?

Spend $300 on an 18" WSM and the remaining $1200 on 600lbs of ribs. If you can still waddle to the computer afterwards, maybe buy some gadgets.

That would be my suggestion.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Should probably spend a little of that rib money on a thermometer.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

taqueso posted:

But not for cooking ribs, of course.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

taqueso posted:

Ribs are $1.97/lb here, so that would leave $18 for a thermometer.

Or you could just go for 500lbs of ribs and buy a fancy one and maybe some wood or whatever. It really just depends on how hungry you are, I guess.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

cornface posted:

Spend $300 on an 18" WSM and the remaining $1200 on 600lbs of ribs. If you can still waddle to the computer afterwards, maybe buy some gadgets.

That would be my suggestion.

Seconded. Hell I'm still using the Brinkmann el cheapo and it turns out fantastic BBQ. Go check out amazingribs.com though. That site is fantastic and has a really good breakdown on the various types of smokers.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/pages/index.jsp

This is a pretty neat site if you want to see pig carcasses in great detail. We found it after processing a carcass with some neighbors in Italy one year. The videos are pretty decent.

Just on a guess found their cow pages too.

http://bovine.unl.edu/eng/index.jsp

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 10, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How much easier are electric smokers? Whenever I eat smoked food its from my dads charcoal smoker but I'm definitely willing to put serious money for one. I get the feeling the easiness of an electric would make me smoke food more often

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Scott Bakula posted:

How much easier are electric smokers? Whenever I eat smoked food its from my dads charcoal smoker but I'm definitely willing to put serious money for one. I get the feeling the easiness of an electric would make me smoke food more often

I have an electric Brinkmann and it just took me about 5 minutes to set it up and start smoking a few pieces of chicken, probably because I didn't pre-soak the wood chips. It's incredibly easy to use and clean but there are essentially zero frills. It's either on or off so its tough to regulate temps like how I understand you can with a WSM. So far I'm really happy with the purchase, but could definitely see myself wanting something with more control in the next year or so.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just assumed they would have a temperature setting like an oven. Definitely changes things if they're all like that

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah I have the Brinkmann Smoke N Grill so there might be a better option out there for you. It runs a pretty even temp that most meats slow smoke at but probably doesn't get low enough to cold smoke fish or things like that from what I understand.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Scott Bakula posted:

Make sure the outlet you're going to be using is on a circuit that can handle the smoker plus whatever else is sharing it. I've heard a lot of sad stories about breakers tripping when something else on the circuit kicks on. They draw a lot of power.

Charcoal smokers aren't really that much work, though, once you get the hang of it.

The main advantage of the electrics is probably being able to run them overnight without having to worry about checking on things. The disadvantage is not being able to justify drinking a beer at 5am when you get up to start the smoker.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Question for the thread about the above chicken - I put on two fairly small chicken breasts right before my post, so it's probably been an hour and forty minutes since they went on. My thermometer alarm never went off, it only reads C so I have it set to 74C (a little over 165). I went out and the chicken was hovering at 73.6C, so I left it alone. When I came back 15-20 mins later it had dropped to 71C, and I checked it with another digital thermometer I have and it was just around 160. I'm pretty sure it got to a safe temp, and the outside of the chicken is thoroughly browned and fairly dry - think this is safe to eat or should I toss it? I pulled it off and its hanging out under 160 so I can fire up the oven but I think at that point the temp will be too low to recover.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Iron Lung posted:

Question for the thread about the above chicken - I put on two fairly small chicken breasts right before my post, so it's probably been an hour and forty minutes since they went on. My thermometer alarm never went off, it only reads C so I have it set to 74C (a little over 165). I went out and the chicken was hovering at 73.6C, so I left it alone. When I came back 15-20 mins later it had dropped to 71C, and I checked it with another digital thermometer I have and it was just around 160. I'm pretty sure it got to a safe temp, and the outside of the chicken is thoroughly browned and fairly dry - think this is safe to eat or should I toss it? I pulled it off and its hanging out under 160 so I can fire up the oven but I think at that point the temp will be too low to recover.

It should be fine, the USDA recommends 165, but I am pretty sure it is safe at a lower temperature than that.

Scott Bakula posted:

There are some electric smokers that act like ovens with regards to temperature. I think Sam's had one for around $300 (a Masterbuilt) and most pellet smokers are electric as well.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I have a Masterbuilt electric. It can be set from 100 - 275. I use an AMNPS pellet tray with mine, so it's easy enough to cold-smoke by leaving the smoker off and putting a tray of salted ice water in along with the fish/cheese.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Scott Bakula posted:

I have a masterbuilt and it's incredibly easy to use. Set the temp, and get the AMNPS pellet tray and you get 10 hours of goodness without having to tinker. (otherwise you have to refill the wood tray every 30min). Only thing you miss is the smoke ring on your meat but the flavors are all there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

demonachizer posted:

$1500 will get you in the door with a new large BGE with nest and other poo poo, or a used XL BGE with nest and other poo poo from an Eggfest. However there's plenty of gadgets from auto temp controls, plate setters, racks, etc. $1500 would go a long way but I don't think you need that to start.

Seconding the 18.5" WSM. Learn on that with different woods, rubs, charcoals and meats and add gadgets next year depending on what you learn this year. It's like $250 so if you decide to upgrade you're not out that much and you can probably sell it on Craigslist for a good chunk of that.

Mastered temp setting and getting lazy / want finer temp control? Get The Stoker / BBQ Guru Wireless
Want to expand beyond BBQ and get into high heat pizzas / other crazy poo poo? Get a used BGE from an Eggfest in your area
Need more room? Get a standing rib rack (you might want to get this early if you want to have a bigger 4th of July party, etc)

And with that kind of budget left you can really get some nice cuts of meat. It's probably my area but there's a local butcher here that is very pricy but has the best, never frozen ribs from 100% pastured, local pigs I've ever purchased that cooked up ridiculously nice. If I had unlimited funds I'd get my meat from them exclusively as it made a difference. But not like you need that to make kick rear end BBQ, and certainly not to learn on.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

$1500 will get you in the door with a new large BGE with nest and other poo poo, or a used XL BGE with nest and other poo poo from an Eggfest. However there's plenty of gadgets from auto temp controls, plate setters, racks, etc. $1500 would go a long way but I don't think you need that to start.

I guess I am super lucky with my local dealer, they used to sell Large eggs for 629.00. Until the BGE company told them they had to sell for list as every other distributer in a 3 state radius was bitching. So to make up having to sell for suggested retail they include enough eggcessories to bring the price back down to 629.00 :)

I got my large egg, table, and all the basic stuff to go with it for just over $1000. Needless to say they have very loyal return customers

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Asking dealers if they will sell their demo units works pretty well. I scored a large BGE with a few gadgets for 500.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Between this thread and the product recommendation thread I think California just sucks. I would drive pretty far for a 500-625 BGE.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Scott Bakula posted:

I just assumed they would have a temperature setting like an oven. Definitely changes things if they're all like that

Its not too hard if you are at all handy or have a buddy who is to splice in a rheostat. On my electric I havent actually bothered to do that as the default temperature seems to work pretty well. One good trick you can use is not putting water in the bowl; that will let it run a little hotter. This is pretty good if it is cold outside; in my experience the external temperature makes a big difference to these type of smokers. But as has been mentioned having a steady heat and being able to do an overnight cook with little loss of sleep is pretty nice.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Nice to meat you, I'm new to the thread and smoking. I got my big barrel with waterpan type smoker on Craigslist for $20 and have made bacon with it thus far.

A few days ago I caught some giant rainbow trout so I dry rubbed them overnight and then smoked them whole. They came out of the smoker this morning and holy god they are delicious. I used apple wood for the smoke and seasalt/dark brown sugar/smoked hot paprika as the rub.

Seven and a half pounds of this poo poo. Fish coma.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
How does one remove the skin after smoking such a beautiful piece of fish? I would think the meat, already being flaky, would be difficult to separate from the skin.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I have a couple of pork tenderloins I was planning on throwing on next weekend. I've never done tenderloins on the smoker before.

I was kind of curious if anybody has any tips on not drying them out. Should I brine them? Any great marinades or rub suggestions? To stuff or not to stuff? How hot should the smoker be?

So many questions.

When I do them in the oven I usually stuff them and top with bacon and apples, but it seems like bacon at 225 wouldn't crisp up very well.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

cornface posted:

I have a couple of pork tenderloins I was planning on throwing on next weekend. I've never done tenderloins on the smoker before.

I was kind of curious if anybody has any tips on not drying them out. Should I brine them? Any great marinades or rub suggestions? To stuff or not to stuff? How hot should the smoker be?

So many questions.

When I do them in the oven I usually stuff them and top with bacon and apples, but it seems like bacon at 225 wouldn't crisp up very well.

Pork tenderloins should be cooked on a regular BBQ at about 325 or 350, not on the smoker. They're too small and lean to be cooked slow and low.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

diehlr posted:

How does one remove the skin after smoking such a beautiful piece of fish? I would think the meat, already being flaky, would be difficult to separate from the skin.

It peeled right off. I deboned it all and had a plate of fillets and a bowl of shred for dip at the end. I want to try this again but with more smoke, and longer. I like a jerky texture and this came out more like lox, even though I did dry rub instead of brining.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Are there any controllers (prebuilt) that have WiFi and are under $300?

how tough is heatermeter to get working?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The Stoker https://www.rocksbarbque.com and BbqGuru https://www.thebbqguru.com are the only two I know of and they are 300 and up for wifi enabled units.

I have a older bbq guru which I use on my bge. No complaints with it.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

LTBS posted:

Are there any controllers (prebuilt) that have WiFi and are under $300?

how tough is heatermeter to get working?

The Heatermeter based off the Raspberry Pi is not difficult at all to build or get running, if you don't have flippers for hands, own a soldering iron, and can read.

I have built 2 now, and it's been one of my favorite projects.

CHiMPY
Feb 10, 2003

Astronaut Jones posted:

The Heatermeter based off the Raspberry Pi is not difficult at all to build or get running, if you don't have flippers for hands, own a soldering iron, and can read.

I have built 2 now, and it's been one of my favorite projects.

That looks really good, I have a Pi on the way but looking into buying all the components to make up the heatermeter is rather costly given that I live in australia.
Both the sites want to charge me more for shipping than for the total of the parts.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

CHiMPY posted:

That looks really good, I have a Pi on the way but looking into buying all the components to make up the heatermeter is rather costly given that I live in australia.
Both the sites want to charge me more for shipping than for the total of the parts.

I've never shipped anything to Australia before, would it be cheaper to have the parts shipped to someone in the US, repackaged and shipped onward?

CHiMPY
Feb 10, 2003

Astronaut Jones posted:

I've never shipped anything to Australia before, would it be cheaper to have the parts shipped to someone in the US, repackaged and shipped onward?

Very much.

I think both sites want almost $40 in shipping, one of them wanted to charge me twice because some of the items were on back order.
Assuming they do free US shipping (or even just standard rates), add on another maybe $30 to ship the whole lot over and it would work out about significantly cheaper.

It is an idea I was considering, then again I could probably find most of the electronics locally.
I might go check out the local shops after the long weekend and see what I can find then just order the rest from the US.

Oh and not to derail too much.

I picked up one of these a few months back

I have about 4KG of pork and 3KG of beef ribs to cook up for a BBQ tomorrow. Going to be a good feed.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?
Alright, I need some advice. My father in law recently got a smoker and he's in love with it. And he insists on smoking something and bringing it for Easter. But he lives over an hour away, and he and my mother in law will arrive long before dinnertime. We're already making leg of lamb and ham here, so we don't need anything along the lines of those. Any thoughts on what he might smoke that would reheat well? Somehow we can't convince him that he doesn't need to bring a smoked protein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I would suggest smoked salmon. That way you can have it for lunch/snack on crackers or something. If he cold-smokes it, he can throw some cheese in there as well.