Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Koramei posted:

To be fair assaulting a fortification is supposed to be suicidal. I wish the AI would try to stare us out more.

The thing is, even when attacking with an army over 3 times the size of mine, made up mostly of samurai, their assault will often be somewhat staggered and it's usually pretty easy to systematically route them, when any human player would be able to overwhelm me in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Electric Pope posted:

The thing is, even when attacking with an army over 3 times the size of mine, made up mostly of samurai, their assault will often be somewhat staggered and it's usually pretty easy to systematically route them, when any human player would be able to overwhelm me in this situation.

My favorite bit is when they send up their generals after the army has been slaughtered, I guess it's them killing themselves out of dishonour but seriously guys you could just run away. The siege AI is massively confusing, I'm simplifying it a bit but how hard could it be just to have them line up all their units together at 2 wall sections and all attack at once?

Intelligibility
Apr 8, 2011

Get shovel!

NoneSuch posted:

The main problem with them parking on hills is they go into dumb mode and won't actually do anything beyond sitting there which doesn't provide a challenge at all while also making it really boring. I don't know if the AI just bugs out but plenty of times when it's in defensive mode it lets me kill a ton of them with archers before it even tries to do anything, and lets me wander units up right behind them.

I like to use my archers in loose formation to kill as many (costly) enemy troops/ranged when the AI is on defense. I'm pretty patient about it but I've actually noticed that after a while/after sufficient losses the AI WILL try an assault on you.

This might just be in my head, might also only happen if you kill most of their ranged units, but its a thing that's happened to me plenty of times, it just takes a while.

e: It's really just how you play the battles. For me the most important thing is preserving as many troops as I can and only committing to battle if I'm 100% sure I have the upper hand so I can pull off a flawless tactical victory (also hunting down and slaughtering every single enemy I can get my swords on even if they're all broken).
Gotta get that sweet xp for your general :black101:

Intelligibility fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 26, 2013

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Quick question about Fall of the Samurai. I just tried to build my first railroad. I have two provinces, each with a railroad station, and I can even watch the train running between the two stations. I own every province between the two of them. They are consecutive stations. Yet, when I try to move troops from one station to the other (Yamashiro to Mino), it says my railway is incomplete and won't allow me. There are no enemies near any part of the tracks or stations. What am I missing here?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Enigma posted:

Quick question about Fall of the Samurai. I just tried to build my first railroad. I have two provinces, each with a railroad station, and I can even watch the train running between the two stations. I own every province between the two of them. They are consecutive stations. Yet, when I try to move troops from one station to the other (Yamashiro to Mino), it says my railway is incomplete and won't allow me. There are no enemies near any part of the tracks or stations. What am I missing here?

If I recall, these two provinces caused problems for me as well. I think the line has like 2 feet of rail cut through the very corner of a province. Make sure ALL of the line is owned by you or an ally.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gimnbo posted:

If I recall, these two provinces caused problems for me as well. I think the line has like 2 feet of rail cut through the very corner of a province. Make sure ALL of the line is owned by you or an ally.

Ah, the tunnel slightly passes through the corner of a territory belonging to an ally with whom I somehow did not have military access. Got it working now, thanks!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally ordered Fall of the Samurai online (got it for 12 bucks from amazon). Are any of the DLC clans worth getting? I got all the DLC for the vanilla game and enjoyed its additions a whole lot, if that gives you any indication on where I stand with this game's DLC.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Jimbot posted:

I finally ordered Fall of the Samurai online (got it for 12 bucks from amazon). Are any of the DLC clans worth getting? I got all the DLC for the vanilla game and enjoyed its additions a whole lot, if that gives you any indication on where I stand with this game's DLC.

Not unless you plan on playing the campaign a whole lot (like me :haw:); none of them add anything unique, they're just stat modifiers. No unique units or anything like that. That said, if there's a spot you particularly like, you may want the clan for it, since location does pretty drastically affect how you play the game. And I mean the bonuses are pretty good too.

Look at this map if you want a look at the starting locations. Saga, Obama, Tsu and Sendai are the DLC clans.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Am I the only one who's disappointed that there's no way to save the remnants of your army if they run away during a (defending) siege? They just automatically get executed in the post-battle screen even if they'd long since disappeared in the forest.

This would be especially useful for generals!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Some new information from the community event in San Francisco.

quote:

1. Flaming pigs are confirmed!

2. Navies can also be set to different stances

3. Someone asked about city-view, and they said that if there was enough demand they would put it in. Mike Simpson mentioned that he personally wouldn't use such a mode, but if enough of the player base wanted it then it was doable.

4. I asked about sea-regions. They explained that yes, the sea will be divided into several regions, and that a navy in a particular region will have dominance over that region. However, it was mentioned that a zone of control effect would still be in play in some ways, such as raiding trade routes. Like armies, navies can be placed in certain stances (raid, patrol/defend, etc). I think this will make more sense as we get more previews and some campaign map footage.

5. They reiterated the previous info about line-of-sight and scouting. Craig made a point to say that heavy infantry are bad for scouting, not that he was speaking from experience or anything.

6. The end game depends on how you have decided to play throughout the campaign. If you are wary and appease contending families/nobility/etc within your faction, your end game will be different than if you choose to defy all of them. For Rome, you could choose to either defend the Republic and the Senate, or challenge the other families and the Senate yourself. It was also noted that other factions would have similar, yet unique iterations of this idea.

7. The four seasons will be in the game, even though it is one turn per year. How exactly this will be implemented is still up for debate. Battlefields will 100% have different seasons. I think this will be elaborated on later.

8. It seems as though there will be a blood pack similar to Shogun 2, due to the ratings issues, but I don't believe anything was confirmed yet.

9. The CPU/GPU usage will be more efficient to a degree on the low end, but on the high end things will be pretty similar to Shogun 2 in terms of CPU/GPU usage. I'm not that much of a technically minded guy so perhaps someone else can explain that better than I can.

10. You will be able to see your cities grow more progressively on the campaign map. As you build individual buildings, you will be able to see them appear on the campaign map.

11. The map for the Battle of Teutoburg Forest will be available on the campaign map if you are fighting a battle on that particular tile.

12. The Eastern edge of the map MAY extend farther than Bactria. Perhaps I misunderstood but they said that the Eastern edge of the map has not been revealed yet.

13. Armies will be able to cross rivers without using bridges but it will cost a lot of movement points.
I got this information from the wretched hive that is twc where there now is a second thread where a dev is trying to explain the reasoning behind one year per turn to a horde of idiots shouting furiously about dumbing down and consoles.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Fans have been calling for the city view mode to return since Medieval II. Do they not know this?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Fans have been calling for the city view mode to return since Medieval II. Do they not know this?

These are the same people who take TWC seriously, so I don't think they have a good idea about their fanbase. I would really like the city view to return, it shouldn't be so hard to implement since it's the siege mode without the soldiers and it really gives you a sense of accomplishment when you watch your city which has grown from a few mudhuts to a metropolis.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Screw flaming pigs, where's the WARDOGS!?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

WARRRDOGS already in: http://youtu.be/7fqb3cPPfuM?t=57s

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

All cinematics aside, that looks fantastic. I've been waiting for Rome II a long time, and Shogun 2 gave me a ton of hope after ETW/NTW.

I need to get around to playing Medieval 2 since I picked it up on Steam, but I feel like I'll either prefer Rome on that engine or Shogun II's evolutionary feel.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/jameshrussell/status/316980138011136000

hmm?

I don't get it

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Warhammer

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Warhammer or Aliens.

edit: semi-beaten

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I could see a bit of potential for more modern conflicts like WWI since they fleshed out the mechanics for gunpowder units pretty well. But that's more of a stretch then just changing into one of the above worlds, so I'll (excitedly) hop on that boat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This soon after getting the IP? Usually you spend a bit longer in production before announcing.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

I could see a bit of potential for more modern conflicts like WWI since they fleshed out the mechanics for gunpowder units pretty well. But that's more of a stretch then just changing into one of the above worlds, so I'll (excitedly) hop on that boat.

Decisive victory! We only lost 2.3 million men!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm really happy that they're returning to pre-gunpowder war. I enjoy the straightforwardness of big globs of heavy infantry and cavalry flanking. M2TW is probably one of my absolute favorite games of all time, I've got like at least 800 hours logged on Steam, and that's not counting the amount of time I spent playing before I actually bought it, and times when for some reason Steam doesn't log my time.

Really looking forward to R2TW.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Warhammer: Total War is coming up. Oh god yes.

e: not claiming insider knowledge, just adding x and y and getting 2.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I wonder if they hired some of those Russian dudes who made the Warhammer mod for Medieval 2.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
A Warhammer:TW game?

My god if the TWC forums are bad now with only history spergs(and some legit modders), I can't imagine what it will turn into with all the Warhammer people descend to post about x, y and z. Probably some version of forum sperg accession like the end of 2001, except the star baby has a neck beard.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This probably gets brought up every 10 pages or so, but how come Creative Assembly hasn't tackled the Three Kingdom era China? I'm playing Dynasty Warriors Empires and just thinking about how loving awesome if it were more like Total War but with my controllable super general in the thick of things giving orders. That wishful thinking aside, it's just weird that a Total War game set in China doesn't exist yet. Does Koei have the rights to making games in that era or something?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's most likely due to Chinese history not being that popular in western countries (the main market for Total War games).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zettace posted:

It's most likely due to Chinese history not being that popular in western countries (the main market for Total War games).

It's also because it'd be difficult to differentiate Total War: China from Rome, Medieval, and Shogun.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Lord Tywin posted:

I got this information from the wretched hive that is twc where there now is a second thread where a dev is trying to explain the reasoning behind one year per turn to a horde of idiots shouting furiously about dumbing down and consoles.

The fact Creative Assembly take TWC seriously enough to have not only their CA rep but also one of their head devs post there is just mindblowing to me.

Where is our CA poster? We can :spergin: with the best of them if we have to, but I would wager we have come up with more quality ideas in the last 50 pages than TWC has in it's entire existence.

Those confirmed items sound pretty good though. One thing they really, really need to get right is their tutorials though. They have always been absolutely terrible and I know several people who love the Total War games to watch, but find them incomprehensible and overwhelming to play. The learning curve is basically a cliff and that's something CA need to work on.

This GDC speech by Plants vs Zombies creator is a fantastic watch for basically everything CA does wrong in their tutorials and it should almost certainly be required watching for every designer (not just games, the principles apply to all software).

Find it here

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
To be fair we have like not even 80 pages of one thread of Total War discussion by largely the same posters. :v:

I have never seen the glory of flaming pigs but from reading these threads I seem to be in for a treat!

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

To be fair we have like not even 80 pages of one thread of Total War discussion by largely the same posters. :v:

I have never seen the glory of flaming pigs but from reading these threads I seem to be in for a treat!

That's a little unfair, considering that SA has had large threads for each of the Total War games, including the fact that the old megathread was retired by this one, as was the old Shogun 2 thread.

Haha, if you think this is mainly the same posters you should check out TWC, not to mention their threads are things that would never fly at SA because we have actual moderation and quality control =p

Flaming pigs are everything you would think they would be!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

That's a little unfair, considering that SA has had large threads for each of the Total War games, including the fact that the old megathread was retired by this one, as was the old Shogun 2 thread.

Mostly it's just that we're between TW games at the moment. Shogun 2 has been around long enough to lose some of it's shine, and Rome 2 is still in the pre-alpha "No-one really knows what the hell" stage. There isn't much to talk about on a forum that isn't populated with nutters creating zillion page threads whining about 1 turn a year and at least 5 open threads dedicated to masturbating about Selucids.

I'm trying not to think about Warhammer Total War in the faint hope it will show up faster if I forget about it.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

Can't wait to mod them out while playing 4tpy :spergin:

Warhammer Total War is really going to be the best thing though

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kaal posted:

It's also because it'd be difficult to differentiate Total War: China from Rome, Medieval, and Shogun.

I dunno, if they took some creative license with Romance of the Three Kindgoms (which is pretty fantastical already) it could be really excellent.

I mean, they'd pretty much have to take some creative license, the actual warfare from that setting wasn't nearly as varied as what you'd get from a full game of Medieval 2. I think a Three Kingdoms: Total War could be a golden opportunity to really expand on the role of hero units (from Shogun 2) and generals with special abilities (from Medieval 2: Kingdoms).

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

shalcar posted:

Haha, if you think this is mainly the same posters you should check out TWC, not to mention their threads are things that would never fly at SA because we have actual moderation and quality control =p

I'm glad TWC is around to defend long-dead generals of a long-dead empire against the vicious anti-Roman, pro-Carthage PROPAGANDA that CA is spewing. :colbert:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Gimnbo posted:

I'm glad TWC is around to defend long-dead generals of a long-dead empire against the vicious anti-Roman, pro-Carthage PROPAGANDA that CA is spewing. :colbert:

Reality has a notorious pro-Carthage bias. :colbert:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Never EVER read the Vestigia Vetustatis forum on TWC.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
In regards to how CA keeps bragging about how their map goes "Soooo far East guys, For reals, you have no idea," Is there actually a point to it with their current line-up? My knowledge of Roman history is not the greatest, but it seems to me that extending the map east with their current faction lineup is just bragging about how much empty space they've created. Is there actually a (plausible) playable faction they could slot in there that would make it remotely worth bragging about? It just seems like a weird thing for them to bring up all the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Never EVER read the Vestigia Vetustatis forum on TWC.

I saw a thread that was just about how the only true threat to Rome was the all mighty power of DACIA. Wasn't as great as the man that argued that Wallachia successfully defeated the Ottomans, even though their king was exiled and they were forced into Vassal status.

I started to notice a pattern.

madmac posted:

In regards to how CA keeps bragging about how their map goes "Soooo far East guys, For reals, you have no idea," Is there actually a point to it with their current line-up? My knowledge of Roman history is not the greatest, but it seems to me that extending the map east with their current faction lineup is just bragging about how much empty space they've created. Is there actually a (plausible) playable faction they could slot in there that would make it remotely worth bragging about? It just seems like a weird thing for them to bring up all the time.
Bactria and the Saka Raka. It would certainly make the east more lively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

madmac posted:

TWC bitch endlessly about how the map isn't big enough and because of that Rome couldn't conquer the entire world as is their manifest destiny as the greatest people that have ever or will ever live.

The only gameplay reason I can think of for having a map that extends far further than you would ever conquer is so that there is always a need to defend the eastern front from a large enemy nation so that you can't exploit it by just conquering to the edge of the map. I presume it enables you to simulate the fall of your empire when the civil war analogue kicks in and you still have large enemies knocking on your door.