Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

McDragon posted:

A whole bunch of good things are happening tomorrow. I might just explode with excitement.

Read that the wrong way at first, but the ouya probably will explode with excrement tomorrow anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

mgreen42 posted:

A few -weeks-?! Can anyone confirm that Uhrman is still in America today?

Yes, this gives me complete confidence in putting my money into their hands. Holy poo poo. God forbid anyone risks a debit card only to have their checking account cleaned out.

Dec 26, 2012

Oh, jeez. This is going to be a bloodbath.

Or just another lovely faked presentation, I would believe that.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

XboxPants posted:

There's not a dearth. It's just that no one here has looked very deeply. I've yet to see anything great, but Wizorb, Gunslugs, and Saturday Morning RPG are all solid games that are worth paying for and they're all gonna be there at launch. I'm confident there will be other games of that level of quality or higher.

So are Wizorb, Gunslugs, and Saturday Morning RPG confirmed for release tomorrow when people start getting the non-developers consoles that they paid for specifically so that they can play games on their TVs?

And if we need to 'look deeply', why on earth are they hiding the existence of solid games so cunningly? Why is it that loving Stalagflight is pretty much the forerunner of titles being currently touted on OUYA's lineup?

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Breetai posted:

So are Wizorb, Gunslugs, and Saturday Morning RPG confirmed for release tomorrow when people start getting the non-developers consoles that they paid for specifically so that they can play games on their TVs?

And if we need to 'look deeply', why on earth are they hiding the existence of solid games so cunningly? Why is it that loving Stalagflight is pretty much the forerunner of titles being currently touted on OUYA's lineup?

Dude indie games are tough to find, that's what makes them indie :rolleyes:

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
OUYA's launch title is "Game Detective", an ARG in which you need to hunt down the elusive games that are going to be available and functional. Unlike the big three, OUYA knows that REAL developers are gamers too, so keep your eyes peeled for the release of "jesuschrist where the gently caress is my money, did you retards triple charge me for every single test transaction".

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Will we have Duck Tales HD Remastered for the summer consumer release of the HUEYDEWEYLOUIE?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I cannot wait for Crimson Haze to launch on the BOUYAKASHA because I've been fiendin' for some fart-swordin' and I'm tired of The Big Three keeping bestow down.

Every gamer is a developer, and every marketing hack is a product engineer.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Xboxpants, maybe you should fill Julie in on Wizorb so she can go from pimping a lovely browser flash game as the face of her "console" to a $1 Arkanoid clone with RPG elements that's been on PC, XBLIG, and iOS for over a year.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Look at the glorious comments.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Breetai posted:

Yes, tomorrow. Regarding the second point, I don't think it's odd for them to save their titles for a big single announcement. Even among the better games, most of them would barely be noticed if announced individually. They make a bigger impression in a group. Airmech and Syder should still be coming, too, among others.

edit: Oh, but don't get me wrong, I don't think the Stalagfight thing is some ninja strategy move. I think she really was pretty goddamn unprepared.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
With all this billing obfuscation and the fact that they are obviously not doing any due diligence on the corporations submitting paperwork, I wouldn't be surprised to see some minor money laundering or drug purchasing going on in apps.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

When I was a Freshman in High School (1998) I religiously compiled a list of 20-odd RPGs coming to the N64 at the time because, as a Hardcore Nintendo Defender of Truth and Justice, there was a lot of scrutiny with the lack of games, specifically RPGs, coming to the system and how it was poo poo compared to the PSX. I used that list as proof that the N64's future was bright and it would turn into the RPG powerhouse it was meant to be. Games on the list? Doshin the Giant, Hybrid Heaven, Quest 2, Legend of the River King, Earthbound 64 (Mother 3), Zool, Onegai Monsters, Getter Love, etc. So, basically games that sucked (Hybrid Heaven) or never came out (the rest, basically). I held onto these games as harbingers, as games that would morph the dire landscape that was the N64 into the console that everybody would be talking about. Granted the N64 did have its moments and did release beloved games but the Ouya will not achieve even 1/20th of the success the N64 enjoyed. Hell, 1/20th is a hugely liberal number.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that you're no better than a pathetic and biased 13 year old High school freshman. Congrats.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

XboxPants posted:

Yes, tomorrow. Regarding the second point, I don't think it's odd for them to save their titles for a big single announcement. Even among the better games, most of them would barely be noticed if announced individually. They make a bigger impression in a group. Airmech and Syder should still be coming, too, among others.

edit: Oh, but don't get me wrong, I don't think the Stalagfight thing is some ninja strategy move. I think she really was pretty goddamn unprepared.

You're loving delusional. For like the past 20 years when a console was released there was a hard list of titles that would be available the same time the console was released. They're not saving anything for a big announcement. Julie and her cohorts as as loving clueless as you are.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Joe Don Baker posted:

You're loving delusional. For like the past 20 years when a console was released there was a hard list of titles that would be available the same time the console was released. They're not saving anything for a big announcement. Julie and her cohorts as as loving clueless as you are.

There are games that will be on the OUYA store tomorrow that the OUYA folks have never talked about before. At the least, I think they'll show the store and the games that are on it at tomorrow's event. Do you disagree with that?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

How old are you, Xboxpants?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

XboxPants posted:

There are games that will be on the OUYA store tomorrow that the OUYA folks have never talked about before. At the least, I think they'll show the store and the games that are on it at tomorrow's event. Do you disagree with that?

Tomorrow is too late, that's judgement day. They needed a confirmed list of games to build anticipation weeks ago. If they haven't talked about them, chances are they are not that spectacular. They had to build hype by releasing an announcement it'd carry emulators to bulk up its library at launch. That does not bode well.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

Tomorrow is too late, that's judgement day. They needed a confirmed list of games to build anticipation weeks ago. If they haven't talked about them, chances are they are not that spectacular. They had to build hype by releasing an announcement it'd carry emulators to bulk up its library at launch. That does not bode well.

That announcement did not come from them, it was just a random thread on a fan forum.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Dapper Dan posted:

It is sort of hard to build hype about games that people have been playing already for months. I think its a better marketing move not to disclose the disappointment.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

I think your reasoning behind this is that people will be making their purchasing decision for OUYA tomorrow, since that's when it becomes available for purchase. Is that correct?

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

Milady, 'tis the clobbering hour.
I was going to make a snide comment about buying a $100 CONSOLE to play $1 iOS games. Then I remembered that I payed $500 to play $1 iOS games.

But wait, I can use my iPad to read SA on the toilet!

Therefore, being able to read SA on the toilet has a value of exactly $400.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

XboxPants posted:

Okay, so predict: how many games are going to be on the OUYA store and available to the users for purchase and download tomorrow?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cantorsdust posted:

Okay, so predict: how many games are going to be on the OUYA store and available to the users for purchase and download tomorrow?

Zero to purchase because all games are free to play :v:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

XboxPants posted:

That announcement did not come from them, it was just a random thread on a fan forum.

They certainly didn't refute it and many prominent news outlets replayed the news. Getting any sort of actual facts from them is worse than pulling teeth. We'll find out tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be true regardless, as emulators must have been one of the first few programs to be submitted.

Uncle Jam posted:

It is sort of hard to build hype about games that people have been playing already for months. I think its a better marketing move not to disclose the disappointment.

True, but it at least lets people know whats actually on the thing and serves to blunt expectations a little. It's also news, they could have prefaced the list with how they are building their library. Though I guess in the end it is a no-win scenario.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Never since Methodis' obsession with Rocksmith have I seen someone so devoted to trying to shill something on this forum.

Except Rocksmith seemed to turn out okay and the OOLITE is looking like a giant trainwreck waiting to happen.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 28, 2013

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

XboxPants posted:

I think your reasoning behind this is that people will be making their purchasing decision for OUYA tomorrow, since that's when it becomes available for purchase. Is that correct?

If a console doesn't have any games listed for it that are worth the purchase price, then why should the common punter bother purchasing it?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

They certainly didn't refute it and many prominent news outlets replayed the news. Getting any sort of actual facts from them is worse than pulling teeth. We'll find out tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be true regardless, as emulators must have been one of the first few programs to be submitted.

Oh, they do seem to be allowing emulators, they just aren't directly promoting it.

Cantorsdust posted:

More than a dozen. Should be at least 6 games on the level of quality of Wizorb/SMRPG/Gunslugs or higher.

I am intentionally lowballing it, so if it doesn't hit this level, that'll be bad.

Breetai posted:

If a console doesn't have any games listed for it that are worth the purchase price, then why should the common punter bother purchasing it?

True, that is how you should decide on a console purchase. That's why potential buyers need to know what games are gonna be there before the console is available for purchase, just like you said.

The OUYA isn't available for purchase tomorrow.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 28, 2013

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cantorsdust posted:

Do you count emulators and their roms? If so, thousands!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

XboxPants posted:

Oh, they do seem to be allowing emulators, they just aren't directly promoting it.

More than a dozen. Should be at least 6 games on the level of quality of Wizorb/SMRPG/Gunslugs or higher.

I am intentionally lowballing it, so if it doesn't hit this level, that'll be bad.

For fairness, I predict less than 20, with at most 5 good games that are all non-exclusive ports. Not to mention no user is actually going to get an OUYA tomorrow, shipped at best. And it's entirely possible the store doesn't work at all, from the fiasco we've seen.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

For fairness, I predict less than 20, with at most 5 good games that are all non-exclusive ports. Not to mention no user is actually going to get an OUYA tomorrow, shipped at best. And it's entirely possible the store doesn't work at all, from the fiasco we've seen.

There were people that got the dev units same day, I wouldn't be surprised if people in Asia or something got units. But, right, probably not until at least a few days after shipping.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Fun game to play in your home with your family or friends while waiting for the OUYA delivery: See how many different cool voices you can say "OI YEAH!" with. Can you go ?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

XboxPants posted:

People should have been thinking about it a long time ago. If they haven't already pre-ordered, which is the equivalent of the crowd camping out in front of Best Buy, they should be on the fence and waiting to know how it turns out.

Nobody's on the fence because nobody knows it exists. Those that do don't know what games are coming out for it - or they do, and that's not really a good thing, is it? People don't buy consoles out of some grand principles or because specs turn them on, they buy them because they want whatever game it supports.

Tomorrow's basically a pre-launch (at least in the DILDO's marketing team's mind). This is 2013, so whoever gets it is gonna tell everybody online that it sucks, and it will, because every console ever has either hardware or software issues on launch day. Then there's the small matter of the console not having a decent library.

What are the reviews going to look like Friday?

When June comes around, what kind of buzz do you think the FOWEE will have?

As far as marketing a console goes, they failed pretty hard a few months ago. Whether or not it even works is irrelevant at this point, it will be a disaster. The drat thing has no mainstream buzz!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
There's not going to be any announcement about games tomorrow because everything is a port that exists on 5 other devices or is a pile of poo poo like Visorman.

Actually I feel bad for the pile of poo poo because I compared it to Visorman.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

FrozenVent posted:

People don't buy consoles out of some grand principles or because specs turn them on

This is autism erasure and I think you should apologise to XboxPants.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Tomorrow's basically a pre-launch (at least in the DILDO's marketing team's mind). This is 2013, so whoever gets it is gonna tell everybody online that it sucks, and it will, because every console ever has either hardware or software issues on launch day.

For all the things I argue against, this is definitely something that'll hurt them.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Let's not call it the DILDO. Dildos are designed and manufactured to higher standards and certainly make a lot more people happier than the CLASSACTIONLAWSUIT ever will.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

XboxPants posted:

You need to build consumer confidence. You need to say 'Here are established games you know and enjoy that will be available from day 1. This purchase is safe'. Leaving it for tomorrow doesn't look good from a consumer standpoint, since it is release day and its expected that a console have a list of games beforehand. What it also does is allow you to see if the games you've got will make people happy. That way you know if you're on the right track. I'm not talking about hypothetical games, I'm talking 'I can buy this when I turn on my console'. Now, you're basically leaving it in the hands of your backers and praying they like what is out.

If they say the library sucks, that will stick. Like it or not, first impressions are everything. When your backers say your library sucks, that will stick with people.

FrozenVent posted:

When June comes around, what kind of buzz do you think the FOWEE will have?

This is also why Uhrman and Co. not treating this as the real launch is a gigantic mistake. And they haven't, because they have been absolutely awful at press and marketing and even attempting to build hype. You need the first impression to be overwhelmingly positive for a small product like this to survive. Otherwise the internet is filled with negative reviews and angry backers. After all, your backers are your biggest supporters. If they give you bad word of mouth, why should anyone else buy it?

Then it becomes evident that the June launch really isn't a launch anymore, more of a funeral with a few confused spectators buying the box with the weird name.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 28, 2013

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
XboxPants I don't think you've ever said what initially drew you to the CRACKLINOATBRAN. What about it has led you to dedicate hundreds of hours researching and defending it on various websites? What specific about this android console thing made you excited versus the masses of already available ones? You've eaten 9 probes for this and I really have no idea why. There was another guy like you in the original thread who also defended the OUYA but after he got probed a few times he stopped. Why didn't you?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'll get the details wrong here I am sure, but when the SNES hit the UK there were like 4 games for it.
F Zero, R Type, And I think Pilotwings and another.
We knew that line up for weeks and weeks and those games were all we could talk about, getting glimpses of screenshots where we could.
That is marketing 101 - build hype around the games, games sell consoles.
The fact that Julie hasn't done this smells very very fishy to me, I would bet good money that she knows full well she should be marketing the crap out of a specific line up of titles right now to gather hype and excitement.
The fact that she ISN'T smacks of their being reasons beyond her control.

Just read this and let it sink in:
Julie is not hyping or marketing the launch titles for the Oyah.

Does that sound right to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Let's not call it the DILDO. Dildos are designed and manufactured to higher standards and certainly make a lot more people happier than the CLASSACTIONLAWSUIT ever will.

The ONAN, then, because no one will ever play this with another person and also God will kill everyone who buys it.

• Locked thread