Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Maybe I'm lucky but I didn't have any trouble getting the wireless 360 receiver working in OSX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
You guys are awesome. I was nervous about asking more questions because there's a ton of info in the OP but it's obviously not very specific.

So now I am thinking BTO and just maxing it out at 256gb (definitely doing this) and 8gb RAM (considering). After tax that's about $1560 which is more than $200 over the Amazon 256gb SSD and 4gb RAM model.

I will want to virtualize Windows for specific things (e.g., my company's time sheet application is a Sharepoint piece of poo poo and as such only works with IE), but I won't have it running all the time. 8gb does seem to be the standard though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pretend to care posted:

You guys are awesome. I was nervous about asking more questions because there's a ton of info in the OP but it's obviously not very specific.

So now I am thinking BTO and just maxing it out at 256gb (definitely doing this) and 8gb RAM (considering). After tax that's about $1560 which is more than $200 over the Amazon 256gb SSD and 4gb RAM model.

I will want to virtualize Windows for specific things (e.g., my company's time sheet application is a Sharepoint piece of poo poo and as such only works with IE), but I won't have it running all the time. 8gb does seem to be the standard though.

I have 256/8 and am pretty happy with virtualization performance. I have an SSD in a USB 3 enclosure and it runs my old windows laptop image faster than my old laptop did.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Anyone hedging their bets on touch being introduced into Apple portables at Haswell refresh? It's quickly getting to the point where you can't buy a non-tower, non-Apple that doesn't have a touch. Your local Best Buy is overflowing with ≥ $500 options in some kind of 3lb. touchscreen-netbook variant.

Anyway, it would be convenient. I need portable dev machine for AIR/Unity (and really, Xcode) but I'm almost swayed to get one of the stupid budget touchable Win8 machines (which are bountiful at retailers) because I can test touch / mouse emulation without having to publish it to a device. I think even if someone had a 64GB 11" Air that they put a resistive touch membrane over, I'd be intrigued just so I can run the kitchen sink. But a 13" retina with touch would be an ideal testing machine.

tl;dr: I want cake + eat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kuskus posted:

Anyone hedging their bets on touch being introduced into Apple portables at Haswell refresh? It's quickly getting to the point where you can't buy a non-tower, non-Apple that doesn't have a touch. Your local Best Buy is overflowing with ≥ $500 options in some kind of 3lb. touchscreen-netbook variant.

Anyway, it would be convenient. I need portable dev machine for AIR/Unity (and really, Xcode) but I'm almost swayed to get one of the stupid budget touchable Win8 machines (which are bountiful at retailers) because I can test touch / mouse emulation without having to publish it to a device. I think even if someone had a 64GB 11" Air that they put a resistive touch membrane over, I'd be intrigued just so I can run the kitchen sink. But a 13" retina with touch would be an ideal testing machine.

Not unless 10.9 finishes turning OS X into iOS.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

kuskus posted:

I don't see it.

OS X is built for cursor and keyboard.

iOS is built for touch.

Windows 8, is a half assed cobbling of the two, and (from my experience) feels like touch is added as an after thought. It doesn't feel right at all. Apple wants you to buy iPads, not Airs with touch screens.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

CLAIM CHOWDER MY FRIEND.
The only reason I'm on it is because I'm in that content creation niche. I'd rather not buy an external touch display but I might. Responsive design, mobile/desktop hybrid web design, all kinds of folks could use it.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

kuskus posted:

I think even if someone had a 64GB 11" Air that they put a resistive touch membrane over, I'd be intrigued just so I can run the kitchen sink. But a 13" retina with touch would be an ideal testing machine.

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
It's me, the guy with lovely iMac luck. Hopefully this is an easy fix, if this is in the wrong spot let me know.

I bought a second one after the drama with my first. It came loaded with 10.8.2 and everything was working great. Got it set up, updated to 10.8.3, started loading programs and iTunes last night. I woke up today and it was off, so I turned it on and the grey apple screen came up with the loading gear. I got distracted and left for work not thinking twice. When I got home, it was still on the same screen.

I turned it off, and tried to load again. Same deal. Third time I held the shift key, and got a Kernel Panic error:
code:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8000659301): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"acpi\".\n"@/sourcecache/xnu/xnu-2050.22.13/iokit/kernel/ioplatformexpert.cpp:1548

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (cpu 0), Frame : Return Address
oxffffff80ddb53de0 : 0xffffff800021d626
6 MORE LATER
Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary
bsd process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown
Boot args: -x

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 12.3.0:
Kernel UUID

I tried to boot into recovery. It wouldn't let me re install Lion because it had been upgraded. I then moved to the "first aid" section and did verify disk. That told me to repair, but when I did it gave me an error: Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. Error: Disk Utility can't repair the disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm going to assume you don't have any data to backup.

First, do this http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

You need to know if you have a bad HDD. If the HDD is bad, that's a whole other can of worms. If the HDD is good, just boot with your Lion DVD, run disk utility to reformat the drive and reinstall Lion. Alternately you can purchase ML, download it, make a bootable USB drive with it and do the same thing but with ML. This is assuming you have another Mac to work with.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

You need to know if you have a bad HDD. If the HDD is bad, that's a whole other can of worms. If the HDD is good, just boot with your Lion DVD, run disk utility to reformat the drive and reinstall Lion. Alternately you can purchase ML, download it, make a bootable USB drive with it and do the same thing but with ML. This is assuming you have another Mac to work with.

If this is a new iMac you can't run Lion on it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

echobucket posted:

If this is a new iMac you can't run Lion on it.

True. For some reason I thought he bought a used iMac.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

True. For some reason I thought he bought a used iMac.

It is used, but it came upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Checked the serial #. Apple says not eligible. If ML is already purchased, how can I get a download of it?

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 27, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
So I want to run an OSX box but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I guess a used Mac Mini is my best bet? It will be used for web browsing (streaming video too), email, and fiddling around with the terminal. Possibly some light image editing, so it doesn't have to be a powerhouse but it shouldn't hiccup. What's the cheapest Mini I can buy that I can just stick some RAM into, run a software update, and use?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TopherCStone posted:

So I want to run an OSX box but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I guess a used Mac Mini is my best bet? It will be used for web browsing (streaming video too), email, and fiddling around with the terminal. Possibly some light image editing, so it doesn't have to be a powerhouse but it shouldn't hiccup. What's the cheapest Mini I can buy that I can just stick some RAM into, run a software update, and use?

$469 and up on the refurb store:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

YMMV buying a used one from other places. You could get by with a C2D if you wanted. The older ones are a little harder to open up, though.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

If I understand correctly, the mini basically uses laptop components right? I'm using a laptop with a C2D right now and it works pretty well for the above uses. What's the most RAM a C2D mini can take?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
According to Mac Tracker, the Early 2009 Mac Mini is the oldest Mini that can still run 10.8.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks, I will look for one of those!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mountain Lion buffers a lot more to the GPU than Lion did, so as long as you have a GPU that has at least 256 MB of RAM (shared or dedicated VRAM) and a machine with a 64-bit kernel you can run Mountain Lion. Without hacking.

Edit: All Mac Minis of at least 2009 vintage can take up to 8 GB; 2011 models and later can take 16 GB.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

It is used, but it came upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Checked the serial #. Apple says not eligible. If ML is already purchased, how can I get a download of it?

Is there another Mac you can use? Just log in to the App Store with whatever account purchased ML and download it. Do this: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Pretty sure this has come up before, but can anyone comment on portability between the 13" MBPr and the 13" air? I'm getting ready to replace my 15" 2008 MBP which is something like 5.5lbs. I'd like something more portable but with some power since this will be my main work machine and will be taken on trips/commutes. The MBPr weighs in at 3.5lbs or so compared to a hair under 3lbs for the air. Does that extra half a pound make a difference? I should also mention I'll be running VMs so 8GB is a must.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
They're both powerful. Go with the rMBP if you want the screen, go with the Air if you don't.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

SnatchRabbit posted:

Pretty sure this has come up before, but can anyone comment on portability between the 13" MBPr and the 13" air? I'm getting ready to replace my 15" 2008 MBP which is something like 5.5lbs. I'd like something more portable but with some power since this will be my main work machine and will be taken on trips/commutes. The MBPr weighs in at 3.5lbs or so compared to a hair under 3lbs for the air. Does that extra half a pound make a difference? I should also mention I'll be running VMs so 8GB is a must.

If that 1/2 lb makes the difference between you lifting your laptop to put it in a travel bag start lifting weights buddy. :cheeky:

Really the best thing is for you to go to an Apple Store if there's one nearby and check them both out. Think about how it will fit in your travel bag as well as how you will use it (on the plane, in a hotel, etc.)

Specs wise, you're looking at a $300 difference between the fastest 13" MBA and the fastest 13" rMBP with the same storage and memory options.

Also isn't it weird that Apple offers two 'options' when choosing rMBPs? I guess when they bumped them up they still have a lot of the older ones to get rid of.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Shin-chan posted:

If that 1/2 lb makes the difference between you lifting your laptop to put it in a travel bag start lifting weights buddy. :cheeky:

Extra 1/2 lb here and there in a messenger bag really can stress your back/shoulder over time.

I don't think the 13 rMBP is really worth it until the next refresh, but I'm also not the target for it- so I prefer an MBA to it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

The Air is thinner but the rMBP is smaller in every other direction. Do you need multiple monitor outputs or the much better (and higher res) screen?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Bob Morales posted:

The Air is thinner but the rMBP is smaller in every other direction. Do you need multiple monitor outputs or the much better (and higher res) screen?

I typically just use one external monitor, the retina screen doesn't really make a difference to me.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Do you guys have any first-hand recommendations for USB3 hubs? I'd like something that can charge an iPad also. External power is fine. Something not plasticky black and garish would be great...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

USB 3.0 is still pretty much a shitstorm, even with 10.8.3. It appears that a lot of folks are having issues with some generic USB 3.0 hubs, and right now only a few USB 3.0 hubs are even getting Mac specific support.

There's two that are supposed to be Mac compatible as per the vendor, this one from Anker and this one from Plugable. In both cases in order to insure maximum compatibility you must be running 10.8.2 or higher and have them flashed to the latest revision of the firmware.

It seems that Apple is quick to blame the hub makers rather than acknowledge that their drivers are poo poo.

You're better off using a dedicated charger for your iPad, even USB 3.0 hubs can't deliver the necessary wattage to a single port that iPads need to charge. Current USB 3.0 standard allows a maximum of 900 mA to be drawn from a single port, the iPad needs at least 1000 mA to charge the battery.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 27, 2013

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Yeah, that was the impression i got from the reviews. I guess I'll try a few and keep the least sucky. Trip report forthcoming if I remember.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Try either of the ones I suggested, as at least they offer Mac support.

Most other places seem to be like that Ballmer / Gates GIF where they're incessantly crossing their arms while pointing and blaming each other, except replace Gates and Ballmer with that vendor and Apple.

Edit:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 27, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's probably the vendors. In my testing at work over the last 2-3 years, I've found that most USB3 bridges are absolute poo poo. Fujistsu's stuff is alright, but most of the market has JMicron bridges which are really bad. Most host chipsets arent great too. Intel's are decent compared to the earlier ASMedia and Renesas garbage. I've been in no hurry to upgrade my DAS from FW800 to USB3 after I've seen how terrible it is at work. I'll just end up going straight to ThunderBolt, most likely.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's probably the vendors. In my testing at work over the last 2-3 years, I've found that most USB3 bridges are absolute poo poo. Fujistsu's stuff is alright, but most of the market has JMicron bridges which are really bad. Most host chipsets arent great too. Intel's are decent compared to the earlier ASMedia and Renesas garbage. I've been in no hurry to upgrade my DAS from FW800 to USB3 after I've seen how terrible it is at work. I'll just end up going straight to ThunderBolt, most likely.

What about USB3 to eSATA? I've got a Promise 4300 where that's the fastest connection offered. I don't have any devices with FW800 and USB 2.0 is just ungodly slow.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bob Morales posted:

What about USB3 to eSATA? I've got a Promise 4300 where that's the fastest connection offered. I don't have any devices with FW800 and USB 2.0 is just ungodly slow.

I was trying to unlock this mystery last night myself.

I came across this http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-eSATA-H...erbolt+to+esata
but it's expensive and the reviews are so-so.

Basically I'm not quite sure what to do about my USB port shortage problem because I don't trust a single hub available.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

benisntfunny posted:

Basically I'm not quite sure what to do about my USB port shortage problem because I don't trust a single hub available.

I researched this a week ago- the majority of USB 3.0 hubs are poo poo. I bought a targus 4 port- so far so good. Had good amazon ratings I think which is why I bought it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just replaced the stock drive in a Late 2009 27" iMac with a 240gb SanDisk Extreme and WD Red 3tb in a DIY Fusion array and this thing is screaming. It's quiet as a mouse and everything opens up on once bounce now.

Makes getting the C2D model sting a little less :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What are you guys using for stands? mStand still the go-to, or...?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I like it better than the Griffin. Don't know if anything new is out there or what.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I just replaced the stock drive in a Late 2009 27" iMac with a 240gb SanDisk Extreme and WD Red 3tb in a DIY Fusion array and this thing is screaming. It's quiet as a mouse and everything opens up on once bounce now.
I'll be changing my 256GB SSD to a homebrew Fusion setup in my iMac as well. It should prove an interesting little project.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
TUAW posted this usb3 hub review today: http://www.tuaw.com/2013/03/28/satechi-10-port-usb-3-0-hub-delivers-the-goods-in-a-fast-package/

Has a port just for iPad, allegedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

What are you guys using for stands? mStand still the go-to, or...?

I find a table works well.