Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

beejay posted:

What's wrong with partitioning?

Nothing. Some people just seem to take against it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

beejay posted:

What's wrong with partitioning?

It's completely unneeded, so you shouldn't do it. Much like how "if something has a rechargeable battery, only do full charge cycles or you'll kill it" no longer applies to new devices and does nothing other than inconvenience you.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013
I just got an old MSI HD 6970.
what bothers me is that it does not have neither a bio switch or backplate like the others. however, the package, the card itself and cpuz indicates it is a msi 6970, any suggestions?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Altran posted:

I just got an old MSI HD 6970.
what bothers me is that it does not have neither a bio switch or backplate like the others. however, the package, the card itself and cpuz indicates it is a msi 6970, any suggestions?
Sounds like you got a reduced-cost non-reference card. That doesn't mean it's not a 6970 or anything like that.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Alereon posted:

Sounds like you got a reduced-cost non-reference card. That doesn't mean it's not a 6970 or anything like that.

thanks, is it worse than the referenced one? quality and performance wise

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Altran posted:

thanks, is it worse than the referenced one? quality and performance wise
You would have to tell us what card you got, like a link to the exact card. It's probably not different in a way that's going to matter to you, they wouldn't be allowed to ship a high-end card slower than stock, but it may not overclock well. Also, please use your shift key and punctuation and stuff.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Alereon posted:

You would have to tell us what card you got, like a link to the exact card. It's probably not different in a way that's going to matter to you, they wouldn't be allowed to ship a high-end card slower than stock, but it may not overclock well. Also, please use your shift key and punctuation and stuff.

I got it off a Yard sale, can't provide a link...
Anyways, I don't overclock at all, guess I am good. ty

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not quite sure this fits here, but what the hell.

FOr those taking advantage of the AMD OMG NEVER SETTLE RELOADED 4 U offer, how long does it actually take to get your codes? The site says 7 days, which seems bananas to me for loving steam codes, unless it's just some intern with a corp amex manually fulfilling poo poo.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have an Intel Core i5 3570K on an Asus P8Z77-V LX. GPU is a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB with Boost.

Can I do the following? I want the system to boot using the integrated graphics on the Intel chip, thus enabling faster boot times since it's UEFI compatible (so I'm told anyway, the 7950 is not), and just use the dedicated GPU for running games.

I am using two monitors, the primary one is the only one I use for gaming at 1680x1050.

You can open a ticket with Sapphire directly and ask them for the UEFI VBIOS (mention you're looking for GOP compatibility) and they'll send you a link to it (if it's available). The only downside is that your card will no longer work with plain old BIOS boards.

I did it for my EVGA 660Ti and my system cold boots in 3 seconds to desktop.

edit: forgot to mention you have to disable most legacy support options (CSM I think it's called) on the MB's UEFI for ultra-fast boot to work.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 21, 2013

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Maneki Neko posted:

Not quite sure this fits here, but what the hell.

FOr those taking advantage of the AMD OMG NEVER SETTLE RELOADED 4 U offer, how long does it actually take to get your codes? The site says 7 days, which seems bananas to me for loving steam codes, unless it's just some intern with a corp amex manually fulfilling poo poo.

I got mine about 22 hours later, though when I asked on the Crysis 3 thread here one guy got his minutes later.

deimos posted:

You can open a ticket with Sapphire directly and ask them for the UEFI VBIOS (mention you're looking for GOP compatibility) and they'll send you a link to it (if it's available). The only downside is that your card will no longer work with plain old BIOS boards.

I did it for my EVGA 660Ti and my system cold boots in 3 seconds to desktop.

edit: forgot to mention you have to disable most legacy support options (CSM I think it's called) on the MB's UEFI for ultra-fast boot to work.

I emailed them, and they don't offer any VBIOS updates for the 7950, which is disappointing.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I had a customer call asking about adding "network display" to his existing flat panels, and just like him I'm having a hard time formulating a good search for this. Is there a box like a Roku that can be connected to like a network projector, and then output to a TV? I'm not even sure what kind of signaling this is, really, but obviously a Roku or other Media Extender expects a video stream. It's a RDP protocol stream sent over the network, if that helps. Thanks in advance if anyone's seen something like this. MS references a future device in their description simply named a "Windows Network Projector Adapter" but all the solutions I've found don't actually use this built-in method, but a combination of hardware and software.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
What's a good price/performance AM2 or AM3 upgrade to replace a Sempron 140 (single core 2.7 GHz) in a Biostar 785G (http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=458)? It's currently running an unraid server which it's great for, but sabnzbd does take a while to process sometimes, and I'd like to do more heavy duty work with the server in the future, like trancoding (xbox 360 or droid devices) and vm's, maybe try out plex or capture cards.

I was hoping the sempron would be stable with the second core unlocked but it wasn't.

Traxxus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 23, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It looks like you can put pretty much any Athlon or Phenom chip into it, with an appropriate BIOS update. If you're buying new, literally the only choice is a Phenom II X4 965, which is on Newegg right now for $85 after promo code. If you're buying used, you can probably find an X6 for that heavy transcoding at around the same price, or a lower-TDP processor in the Athlon/Phenom II X3 or X4 range.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
There doesn't seem to be a tablet thread so i'll ask here. Deploying in a few weeks and fancied getting myself a tablet and a laptop but then heard about the asus transformer prime 201 and was wondering would this be a good buy as i'm pretty short on space.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 24, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That's because tablet chat is in Inspect Your Gadgets.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I got a Passport external drive a little while ago and it always seems to be spun up (vibrating slightly) even when I don't think it's being used, and recently has made a single click every now and then. I had a Seagate a while ago that clicked constantly and still works so I know it's not necessarily terrible but was hoping someone could reassure me that there's no problem.

VVV Thanks :)

Mozi fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 26, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's just the heads parking. It's fine.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
I need to RMA an intel i5 750 and an MSI motherboard. I have four days until the warranty runs out. Can someone point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find RMA instructions/procedure on either.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Im looking for a printer for postage and invoices. The smaller the better, would love to install it on the network to try and print from my phone as well. Tell me goons, whats the most economical choice?

edit- thinking about this unit, looking at about $110 shipped to my house.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828415263

always be closing fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 26, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

I need to RMA an intel i5 750 and an MSI motherboard. I have four days until the warranty runs out. Can someone point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find RMA instructions/procedure on either.

Contact MSI and Intel I would presume?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

MSI Warranty Information - Click "RMA Service" on the left for the form.
Intel Support FAQ: How do I get warranty service?

That said, as a rule processors don't fail, so unless your board fried your CPU (unlikely and not Intel's fault) you don't need to do an RMA for the CPU.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

It's completely unneeded, so you shouldn't do it. Much like how "if something has a rechargeable battery, only do full charge cycles or you'll kill it" no longer applies to new devices and does nothing other than inconvenience you.

I wouldn't say that - having a dedicated OS partition is nice if you ever need to reinstall an OS but don't want to have to reinstall a bunch of applications (assuming they don't require the registry or something) or relocate a bunch of files from another drive. It's especially nice if you don't have more than one drive for whatever reason but need to reinstall or reimage now and then.

Having other partitions set up solely to organize files may be a bit overkill, but it doesn't really negatively impact the drive as far as I can tell (been partitioning drives for years and never had any fail; I still have most of my old ones decommissioned in storage but still functional).

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Buff Skeleton posted:

I wouldn't say that - having a dedicated OS partition is nice if you ever need to reinstall an OS but don't want to have to reinstall a bunch of applications (assuming they don't require the registry or something) or relocate a bunch of files from another drive. It's especially nice if you don't have more than one drive for whatever reason but need to reinstall or reimage now and then.

Having other partitions set up solely to organize files may be a bit overkill, but it doesn't really negatively impact the drive as far as I can tell (been partitioning drives for years and never had any fail; I still have most of my old ones decommissioned in storage but still functional).

Yep, this here man speaks wisely. I still partition my drives, especially large ones, based on my estimated storage requirements. I partition them all into 1TB chunks, so that I can fit the backups for that entire drive on my handy pile of 1TB externals I've picked up for cheap over the last couple of years. I realize I could just use folders, but drive letters just look so much nicer when I open up explorer. And pathing installs/save locations/etc to r:\Whatever rather than R:\Videos\Whatever is just plain easier.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
One downside of partitioning is that it will force your files onto slower portions of the disk. For example, if you have a 3TB drive that's 50% full, those files are going to occupy the fastest 50% of the disk (assuming it's been defragmented). If the drive is partitioned into three 1TB slices, your files will instead be in the first half of each region instead, meaning you have 500GB on the second slowest sixth of the drive. Additionally it can be harder to efficiently use the space on the drive, you'll often end up with one partition filling up before the others and needing to juggle files around. Overall my experience has been that trying to split drives into system and data partitions caused more trouble than it saved, but it's not a wrong thing to do if it works well for you.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey guys, I have a quick question. If one were to turn down settings in a game in order to gain better performance, what settings would you choose? Which ones are less noticeable but are fps hogs?

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Guni posted:

Hey guys, I have a quick question. If one were to turn down settings in a game in order to gain better performance, what settings would you choose? Which ones are less noticeable but are fps hogs?

Changing AA from 8x to 2x can make a big difference. High quality shadows can also put more strain on the GPU than I think they're worth, but that's personal preference. Some games look pretty similar if you drop the resolution from 1080p to 720p, but games with busy UIs usually suffer from that.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Stepping back to 2008, I just noticed that my X38 (Asus P5E) board's second PCI-E slot is running at 4x instead of the 16 it should be. The X38 chipset supposedly has 32 PCI-E lanes, so do I have do disable all of the onboard devices and swap to a PCI sound card to get the full 16x/16x for my pair of HD4870s? Does it really make enough difference to even bother squeezing this stone for more blood when I'm upgrading in fall?

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 28, 2013

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Can anyone tell me what type of RAM this slot is? (or what model motherboard this is, so I can google it). I bought the PC from a dude at work who scavenged it from his last job before they went under. However, I can't figure out what type of RAM to get for it. I want to get it up and running as a general server (file, web, plex, whatever).

RAM: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/74726/ram.jpg
Motherboard: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/74726/board.jpg

The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8360. I already know it's not 184pin DDR because this doesn't fit. I also know it's not 240pin DDR2 because this doesn't fit either (both are just random sticks of RAM I have laying around. What else could it be?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Well if it's not DDR and it's not DDR2 then maybe it's DDR3?? (yes, it is)

This is the board you own: http://ark.intel.com/products/34683/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP45SG

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Awesome, thanks!

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Ragehaver posted:

Changing AA from 8x to 2x can make a big difference. High quality shadows can also put more strain on the GPU than I think they're worth, but that's personal preference. Some games look pretty similar if you drop the resolution from 1080p to 720p, but games with busy UIs usually suffer from that.

Thanks! Yeah I read somewhere that shadows are pretty taxing for what they do. I don't need to turn down settings at all at the moment (7870ghz edition + i5 3570), I was just curious.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

Factory Factory posted:

It looks like you can put pretty much any Athlon or Phenom chip into it, with an appropriate BIOS update. If you're buying new, literally the only choice is a Phenom II X4 965, which is on Newegg right now for $85 after promo code. If you're buying used, you can probably find an X6 for that heavy transcoding at around the same price, or a lower-TDP processor in the Athlon/Phenom II X3 or X4 range.

Thanks, helped a lot. That's the only AMD computer I have, I wanted it to be versatile cpu-wise since it's my file server, looks like that was a good decision in hindsight.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Guni posted:

Thanks! Yeah I read somewhere that shadows are pretty taxing for what they do. I don't need to turn down settings at all at the moment (7870ghz edition + i5 3570), I was just curious.
The main thing is that it depends on what performance limitations you're trying to work around. For example, if you got a 7870 with only 1GB of Video RAM, you'd want to reduce resolution, texture quality, anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering to reduce the memory used, but things like effect detail and particle counts wouldn't matter as much because the GPU still has a lot of computing resources.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

redstormpopcorn posted:

Stepping back to 2008, I just noticed that my X38 (Asus P5E) board's second PCI-E slot is running at 4x instead of the 16 it should be. The X38 chipset supposedly has 32 PCI-E lanes, so do I have do disable all of the onboard devices and swap to a PCI sound card to get the full 16x/16x for my pair of HD4870s? Does it really make enough difference to even bother squeezing this stone for more blood when I'm upgrading in fall?

8x would maybe make some kind of difference, maybe, if we knew what your resolution was. But no, not enough to justify spending any money most likely. Try popping out your sound card and see if that does anything. I looked at the board manual and it doesn't seem to have any user configurable options; my P67 Asus board gives you some options in BIOS for how lanes are assigned so I thought maybe yours would, but no dice.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I have an Antec 650w PSU with 3 12v rails, active PFC, and 1 6 pin and 1 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors. I'm in the market for a new video card to run 3 22" monitors (I already have 2, and my budget only has enough for the new card and 1 monitor), and I'm looking at this EVGA GTX 670 FTW card. However, it requires 2 6+2 pins. I am also running a samsung 840 pro SSD, an i5, and 3 7200rpm hard drives.

My questions are: Is this PSU enough for the card, and if it is, is there a way to get a second 6+2 pin? Some kind of converter? Also, would this be a safe/good idea? Or am I just going to have to get a new PSU?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Get a different card. Reference 670 is only 2 6 pin.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I'm looking to get a cheap, low profile system to take back and forth from work to work on coding, and some CAD/3D modeling. Not expecting to model a photo realistic human, more along the lines of industrial robots and simple modeling.
I'll probably throw Windows 7 (x64 if I can) on the box.

My home desktop is a AMD 64 X2 4200+ for a comparison of what I'm used to (although with a dedicated video card).

Are either of these total poo poo or are they OK enough to consider? I'll probably upgrade the ram in whatever one I buy.

HP Compaq dc7800p 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo

Dell Optiplex SX280 USFF Pentium 4 3.2Ghz

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Total poo poo and memory would be expensive. Like as much as the computer.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Good to know. Looks like the best thing for me to do would be to get a microATX board and an i3 or i5 and figure out a way to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Alereon posted:

The main thing is that it depends on what performance limitations you're trying to work around. For example, if you got a 7870 with only 1GB of Video RAM, you'd want to reduce resolution, texture quality, anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering to reduce the memory used, but things like effect detail and particle counts wouldn't matter as much because the GPU still has a lot of computing resources.

Makes sense! At the moment I'm only really playing BF3 (finished FC3, which FWIW I was happy with the performance in) and I'm really happy with the performance (never dips below 60fps on high @1080p). It was more of a 'that'd probably be useful to know in the future'. Although I do plan to upgrade when the next gen cards come out :).

• Locked thread