Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

madmac posted:

In regards to how CA keeps bragging about how their map goes "Soooo far East guys, For reals, you have no idea," Is there actually a point to it with their current line-up? My knowledge of Roman history is not the greatest, but it seems to me that extending the map east with their current faction lineup is just bragging about how much empty space they've created. Is there actually a (plausible) playable faction they could slot in there that would make it remotely worth bragging about? It just seems like a weird thing for them to bring up all the time.
Bactria would be a pretty cool DLC, some Indian factions would also be pretty awesome. Furthermore expanding further east gives the Parthians some more ground to expand on and makes a great setup for an Alexander campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I saw a thread that was just about how the only true threat to Rome was the all mighty power of DACIA. Wasn't as great as the man that argued that Wallachia successfully defeated the Ottomans, even though their king was exiled and they were forced into Vassal status.

I started to notice a pattern.

Bactria and the Saka Raka. It would certainly make the east more lively.

Maybe even stick the Mauryans in there. Buddhist Greeks, Central Asian steppe hordes, Persians, Indian empires sound cool to me and certainly isn't a bunch of empty space on the map...

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
You could have a whole bunch of tribes in the East and have mechanics simulating the rise of the Huns and the flood of refugees westwards.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The problem is that the mass Barbarian tribe migrations occurred over 300 years after the games end date. Hopefully the game will emulate the Cimbri and Teutons at least.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

shalcar posted:

TWC bitch endlessly about how the map isn't big enough and because of that Rome couldn't conquer the entire world as is their manifest destiny as the greatest people that have ever or will ever live.

The only gameplay reason I can think of for having a map that extends far further than you would ever conquer is so that there is always a need to defend the eastern front from a large enemy nation so that you can't exploit it by just conquering to the edge of the map. I presume it enables you to simulate the fall of your empire when the civil war analogue kicks in and you still have large enemies knocking on your door.

I would think the fact that even though its called "Rome Total War" having factions exist to keep the eastern factions from being to spread out would be a good enough reason. Playing The Seleucid in Vanilla was really boring, there wasn't to many threats and they were mostly on the Western Borders. Outside Parthia, which was laughably pathetic in Vanilla.

Azzural
Jul 9, 2012

You will obey the bunny.

Ragingsheep posted:

You could have a whole bunch of tribes in the East and have mechanics simulating the rise of the Huns and the flood of refugees westwards.

How would you figure the "flood of refugees" would work in game?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would think the fact that even though its called "Rome Total War" having factions exist to keep the eastern factions from being to spread out would be a good enough reason. Playing The Seleucid in Vanilla was really boring, there wasn't to many threats and they were mostly on the Western Borders. Outside Parthia, which was laughably pathetic in Vanilla.

You mean you didn't enjoy the purple pajamas?

Azzural posted:

How would you figure the "flood of refugees" would work in game?

Like the Mongol invasion in Medieval

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

CharlestheHammer posted:

I expect that it would all work similar to Shogun 2 in that every province is it's own minor clan and that worked perfectly well even with the far eastern and western clans in the game without problem. Having limited expansion options was both a blessing and a curse that made for a different style of play. As long as the play experience is balanced for the map borders, it should be fine.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Purple pajamas would be more enjoyable if their lands weren't divided by half a sea and the All Consuming Void of the East.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I was actually talking about territory, but yeah, Vanilla also had major issues with their unit rosters. They were relatively bad as well. I loved RTW but man did it have issues.

shalcar posted:

I expect that it would all work similar to Shogun 2 in that every province is it's own minor clan and that worked perfectly well even with the far eastern and western clans in the game without problem. Having limited expansion options was both a blessing and a curse that made for a different style of play. As long as the play experience is balanced for the map borders, it should be fine.

I was talking about more than speed bumps. Especially for the Seleucid.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

CharlestheHammer posted:

I was talking about more than speed bumps. Especially for the Seleucid.

That would be an issue of unit/economic balance though, not one of map size.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

shalcar posted:

TWC bitch endlessly about how the map isn't big enough and because of that Rome couldn't conquer the entire world as is their manifest destiny as the greatest people that have ever or will ever live.

The only gameplay reason I can think of for having a map that extends far further than you would ever conquer is so that there is always a need to defend the eastern front from a large enemy nation so that you can't exploit it by just conquering to the edge of the map. I presume it enables you to simulate the fall of your empire when the civil war analogue kicks in and you still have large enemies knocking on your door.
I find myself lucky that the TWC forums can't load on my browser for some reason. Has anyone there asked if they could extend the map all the way to China so they could trade with the Han dynasty?

I want my silk road damnit :colbert:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sober posted:

I find myself lucky that the TWC forums can't load on my browser for some reason. Has anyone there asked if they could extend the map all the way to China so they could trade with the Han dynasty?

I want my silk road damnit :colbert:

Ha

hahah

hahahahah you have no idea

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?593492-Final-Faction-Han-Dynasty

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The idea of allowing contact with the Han for some reason makes me think of a new DLC campaign.

Total War: Rome 2: Clash of the Three Kingdoms.

I wanna toss pila at Liu Bei :hist101:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Pretty sure there was a ROTK mod for Rome but it probably wasn't very good.

A Han delegation was on its way to Rome at one point but the Parthians lied and said it would take years to get to Rome from Parthia so they turned around :cool:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I wonder if the OP there thinks he's a descendent of one of those lost legions that disappeared in the Gobi desert or whatever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trujillo posted:

Pretty sure there was a ROTK mod for Rome but it probably wasn't very good.

A Han delegation was on its way to Rome at one point but the Parthians lied and said it would take years to get to Rome from Parthia so they turned around :cool:

Those Parthians were total assholes who robbed us all of potentially one of the most symbolically important events in history. :(

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gimnbo posted:

The idea of allowing contact with the Han for some reason makes me think of a new DLC campaign.

Total War: Rome 2: Clash of the Three Kingdoms.

I wanna toss pila at Liu Bei :hist101:

I'm pretty sure that if you started a campaign as a British faction by the time you reached Rome you'd either see China in Egypt or ,like Hungary in medieval 2, a random nomad tribe ruling over the entirety of the world.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
With mention of India, EB II does make me want Indian factions in Rome II:

More here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?466774-Preview-Taksashila-%28Mauryan-Satrapy%29

It is a shame EB II will probably never come out.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

To be fair to TWC, most of that thread seems to be people going "Hell no this is a terrible idea" and one guy arguing against everyone else about how all Chinese history wildly exaggerates its numbers and is unreliable.

That said, TWC is still pretty terrible.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Oh poo poo.

Topic of conversation for the last 10+ years amongst my friends... 'Make a Warhammer game with the Total War engine.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

haakman posted:

Oh poo poo.

Topic of conversation for the last 10+ years amongst my friends... 'Make a Warhammer game with the Total War engine.

If they announce a Warhammer Total War or a LOTR Total War I will be really happy. I'm kind of amazed at the amount of people on the official TW forum whimpering about "I'll slit my wrists if CA make Warhammer, it's not historical!!11" People seem to think CA can or should only work on one game at a time, and they're ruining the series if they get into fantasy-oriented games. loving ridiculous.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

CA hasn't made a remotely historical game up to this point, don't know why they'd start whining about it now. :haw:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I don't know what it is but shogun just keeps dragging me back. I seldom win, but I always have a ton of fun playing on the battle map.

3 units of Bulletproof samurai and 1 general against a dozen units :black101: Victory!

I could honestly give a gently caress about historical accuracy or any of that. Completely kicking all of the historical stuff to the curb and working with an IP that is already has balanced unit types sounds like a great idea, then they have no excuse not to go 110% and just make the game about being fun as hell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Those Parthians were total assholes who robbed us all of potentially one of the most symbolically important events in history. :(

Nah, though it would've been cool to have records of it. Roman ambassadors (or merchants claiming to be ambassadors) first, as far as we know (I'd bet merchants were there before since the trade had been going on a while) made it to China in 166 AD. Several other Roman delegations are mentioned in Chinese records, and the Chinese and Roman courts keep in semi-regular mail contact up into at least the 1300s, where we have our final recorded contact in the form of a letter from the Chinese emperor congratulating the new Roman emperor on his ascension and good wishes for future trade diplomatic niceties et cetera.

We've discussed most of the major Roman-Chinese contacts in the Rome thread in Ask/Tell, if you're interested. I don't remember page numbers though and it's pretty long.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
In total, Rome 2 will feature 183 territories, split between 117 factions. Battles will play host to approximately 500 different unit types, 30 city variants, and about 70 kinds of building.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/totalwar/total-war-rome-2-will-find-homes-117-factions-and-might-just-run-your-laptop

:getin:

I'm glad we're finally getting info on the campaign game. Maybe they'll drop a screenshot of it soon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Awesome. I guess they're not going to do the basic rebels thing. I like it, we have so many names of tribes and whatnot from then there's no reason not to use 'em.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Awesome. I guess they're not going to do the basic rebels thing. I like it, we have so many names of tribes and whatnot from then there's no reason not to use 'em.

They haven't done basic rebels since Med 2, that was a given. Still 109 minor factions is crazytown. And 183 territories is, uh...how many do you need to hold to win? If nothing else with that much buffer room around playable factions there's potentially a lot of room for focusing on localized nation building and maybe facing down one or two rival empires in the late game. Also, they can put out faction DLC until the end of time. Working as designed.

I do wonder what the balance of power will be like. Minor factions in Empire were annoying but largely ineffectual, while in Shogun 2 most of them had better starting positions then the major clans who'd mostly get steamrolled in the first 10 turns.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I wonder if you'll be able to trade regions. I don't remember if you could do that in Shogun 2. Anyway, the reason I bring it up is that in Medieval and Rome I liked to build small little allied buffer states between myself and other empires for no real reason other than I found it amusing to watch them get crushed. Sometimes they actually did their job well and for that I would reward them by crushing them with my armies before taking on the other empire.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm glad there'll be so many factions, but I do wonder what they'll do about the turn tickover. Hopefully they'll hide the factions you don't yet know or something; watching 109 factions scroll by every time will get more than a bit annoying.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

canuckanese posted:

I wonder if you'll be able to trade regions. I don't remember if you could do that in Shogun 2. Anyway, the reason I bring it up is that in Medieval and Rome I liked to build small little allied buffer states between myself and other empires for no real reason other than I found it amusing to watch them get crushed. Sometimes they actually did their job well and for that I would reward them by crushing them with my armies before taking on the other empire.

I think the reason they took it out was that the AI tended to do real dumb poo poo with it. Hence, pictures of Iroquois Greece from Empire Total War.

Though I hope they'd put it in and limit AI usage of it though. Paradox games have left the curse of "pretty borders" and "not killing everyone ASAP" on me.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Koramei posted:

I'm glad there'll be so many factions, but I do wonder what they'll do about the turn tickover. Hopefully they'll hide the factions you don't yet know or something; watching 109 factions scroll by every time will get more than a bit annoying.

I would guess that the number of factions will be halved after some turns, they probably have optimized it so turns will go by quickly. One thing I wonder about is how the 183 territories will be, since they have mentioned that each city will have a region with much smaller cities so will there be 183 of those cities with smaller towns around them or will those smaller towns be included?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
As long as minor factions last for at least 50 turns in a campaign I'll be happy.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

So, here's the big announcement: https://twitter.com/ControlMagazine/status/317351818478895105/photo/1

It's a MOBA. Not what I expected/wanted, but there you go.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ray and Shirley posted:

So, here's the big announcement: https://twitter.com/ControlMagazine/status/317351818478895105/photo/1

It's a MOBA. Not what I expected/wanted, but there you go.

Well there goes my enthusiasm. Oh well, getting a Warhammer Fantasy/40K this early would probably spell disaster anyway, what with RTW2 being the main focus of CA.

The empty seats in that pic sum up my reaction pretty well actually.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
Aw man. I wanted Warhammer so bad. :(

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Maybe we'll have our teeth around Rome 2 by the time the Warhammer title is brewing. :)

Warm thoughts.

e: Could be worse, MOBA could have been the Warhammer title

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
http://www.creative-assembly.com/total-war-arena-new-free-to-play-game-in-development-at-creative-assembly/

The official press release for Total War Arena. Honestly not what I was expecting. It could be ok, I guess.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So I'm having trouble with M2: the HRE keeps declaring peace on me. Like, we're at war, and when a turn passes they're neutral, and I never agreed to anything. What the poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So I'm having trouble with M2: the HRE keeps declaring peace on me. Like, we're at war, and when a turn passes they're neutral, and I never agreed to anything. What the poo poo?

If they ally with someone you are allied with then you automatically become neutral.