Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bobulus posted:

Well, let's see:

- Jack got into the whole trophy thing after he got Cal, right? And Lil' Cal has been shown to contain the essence of Caliborn.
- Caliborn stole the green and the uppercase U from Calliope after he killed her.
- Caliborn has ranted about how Jake 'stole his style' with his LE-style computer, as Jake had not earned that right.

It would not surprise me if Caliborn defeats a series of people and takes a little something from each to add up to his Lord English style. The coat from Vriska. The golden guns from Jake. Etc.

He was also pretty pleased seeing that B2's Jack had a fake tooth too- although Cal's was candycorn at the time, he replaced it with gold like Jack's shortly after.

In this case it doesn't seem to be ganking something from a defeated foe, but modelling himself after someone he actually likes, though.

edit: Lil'Cal and even the Caltop also have a golden incisor

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

lotus circle posted:

I'm thinking this. Particularly because Lord English's Cairo Overcoat doubles as his time travel device. Another piece of evidence for the "Caliborn doesn't go God Tier" camp, as Aradia seems to be capable of freely using her powers without the need of a device to assist her.

I've been thinking ever since we saw the Cherub parents, but never had the opportunity to bring it up, I don't think Caliborn has went god tier because he is wingless. Troll god tiers have fairy wings, and Hussie has said it is because, with the insect heritage, Trolls view wings as a kind of mythic symbol of maturity. Aside from a weird mutant like Rufioh, adult Trolls don't actually have wings but because it is seen as an indicator of maturity, and going God Tier seems to be a crucial step in a game that is all about becoming more mature God Tier Trolls have wings. Fine.

Cherubs, however, when maturing properly, DO have wings. They are angels right? Makes sense. Caliborn, however, by killing his sister, has warped his own development, he doesn't mature properly and a result of this seems to be a lack of wings. This also parallels with his choice from yaldaboth. Caliborn isn't achieving access to immortality the "proper" way that players are supposed to, instead he is warping the system and gaining a corrupted version of god tier immortality, unconditional immortality even. It's probably also telling that the Aspect he is said to be defeated by, Hope has wings as it's symbol. That is what he lacks, what he has willingly discarded and will be his downfall in the end.

I've kinda forgotten where I was going with this. Needless to say, the Arrested Development references in Act 6 continue with Caliborn in the most literal meaning.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I hope the treasure and/or whatever's in this cave is Doc Scratch somehow springing back into relevance even in death, if only to have the two most manipulative shitheads in the entire comic finally meet face-to-cueball at last.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Color Printer posted:

I hope the treasure and/or whatever's in this cave is Doc Scratch somehow springing back into relevance even in death, if only to have the two most manipulative shitheads in the entire comic finally meet face-to-cueball at last.

I like you and I like you for posting this. I'm hopeful that something related to Doc Scratch will come up at some point, be it in the cave or through Caliborn's game of intergalactic pool.

Prison Warden posted:

Cherubs, however, when maturing properly, DO have wings. They are angels right? Makes sense. Caliborn, however, by killing his sister, has warped his own development, he doesn't mature properly and a result of this seems to be a lack of wings. This also parallels with his choice from yaldaboth. Caliborn isn't achieving access to immortality the "proper" way that players are supposed to, instead he is warping the system and gaining a corrupted version of god tier immortality, unconditional immortality even. It's probably also telling that the Aspect he is said to be defeated by, Hope has wings as it's symbol. That is what he lacks, what he has willingly discarded and will be his downfall in the end.

I've kinda forgotten where I was going with this. Needless to say, the Arrested Development references in Act 6 continue with Caliborn in the most literal meaning.
Well, if you want to get biblical about it, I think the lack of wings can be a reference to Lucifer. A prideful angel who saw himself superior to God and was cast out of Heaven for his narcissism. Cherubs by name are already a reference to angels and this can easily call back to the very early references to Karkat and Signless in Calliope and Caliborn, before we learned they weren't trolls. If Karkat and Signless are the Jesus allegory, while Doc Scratch is a devil allegory, then Caliborn can easily be called an Anti-Christ allegory. You can even go a step further and make mentions of the story of Cain and Abel with the cherubs. Cain thought God favored Abel, so he slayed Abel out of jealously and was condemned for his crimes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I told you so!

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
That was a dumb speech.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Awesome update. Vriskatime, all the time, please please please. If Vriska's going to die, I'm also interested to see more specifics of how the clock works, mainly whether it is just an indicator, or the decision maker. Since Godtiers aren't supposed to be dead in the first place (unless just or heroic), if the clock actually plays a function in the outcome how will this affect Vriska's potential death?

e: also nice to see Vriska being the one going off the cliff for once, even if I like her.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 28, 2013

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me
Those are definitely the words of someone who is going to die. RIP in Pieces Spidertroll.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really like the art in this update. It could stand to have more crazy smiles from Aradia, but that aside it's really cool.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Siding with Vriska on the who loving cares about a bunch of static rear end ghosts who should have passed on already re-dying.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vriska continuing to be the best troll by building her own personal road to hell out of giant slabs of good intentions (and dead ghosts).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Well if that's not a death flag I don't know what is. It was nice knowing you Vriska.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

quote:

VRISKA: So I'll just say this.
VRISKA: It was supposedly a weapon that once 8elonged to him.
VRISKA: 8ut he could never use it without altering its nature.
VRISKA: Meaning he could only use it once.
VRISKA: So he did.

So the treasure is a weapon. I kinda wonder what it is, and if we've already seen it (the answer is undoubtedly yes). Also even though this probably isn't it, I just couldn't help but think of this quote when I read this:

Doc Scratch posted:

I am my master's weapon. His soldier in a war of one bullet fired.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

cubivore posted:

That was a dumb speech.

JT Jag posted:

Well if that's not a death flag I don't know what is. It was nice knowing you Vriska.

JamJars posted:

Those are definitely the words of someone who is going to die. RIP in Pieces Spidertroll.

Hot drat, the wrongness harvest is a loving bumper crop this year. Might even be able to afford a brace for Walt Jr.'s dickey leg, mmhm.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The speech owned and demonstrates why Vriska is by far the best character (by virtue of being the most morally ambiguous), but drat if it doesn't sound exactly like the kind of speech a badass gives before they go off to their death.

Zaltys
Jun 24, 2008

Color Printer posted:

VRISKA: It was supposedly a weapon that once 8elonged to him.
VRISKA: 8ut he could never use it without altering its nature.
VRISKA: Meaning he could only use it once.

There have been instances of Doc Scratch in countless universes, at least that's what he claimed. So I don't see how it could be said that Lord English only used him once.

But I can't think of much else.
Wait.... It's going to be Lil Cal again, isn't it?

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
The scourge sisters are serving as pretty good foils to each other right now. Terezi's become a nervous wreck after doing the right thing by killing a single psycho, all while that very psycho is pretending to do the right thing as a justification for obliterating an innumerable number of souls without any hesitations or apologies.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
It's gonna be this loving cake.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

For once I want the morally gray anti-hero with sociopathic tendencies to not die for their crimes, and instead show all the others hero's what chumps they are by saving everyone everywhere forever and surviving to rub it in everyone elses faces.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I feel like Vriska isn't really going to die. Only because there doesn't seem much point to bring her back to the story and then kill her off again, only in a more permanent matter as far as the story is concerned. Maybe getting her rear end kicked to bring her down a little from this high horse of grey morality heroics she is on, but kill her? Highly doubtful.

So now we get a little bit of information on what this weapon is. We know it's from Lord English's memories and something powerful enough that it could only be used once and then a second time to kill him. My guess is the first time it was used to grant him a huge advantage. I doubt it's Beta-Calliope at this point now, because it sounds more like an object.

Therefore, my money is on it being something related to Caliborn's fight with Yaldabaoth. Caliborn is strong, but he isn't strategic. He's a "shoot first, think later" kind of guy. Yalda is enormous and powerful. Even with The Felt, I can't see Caliborn standing much of a fighting chance against the monster when he's been more or less cheating out of actually growing. He would prefer to get a ton of Mario Stars than to actually grind for his power. So what does this lead us to? A weapon so powerful that Caliborn could use it to destroy Yaldabaoth, ensuring his unconditional immortality.

This seems like the perfect time to segue into another Caliborn section of the story actually. Maybe from that and the updates after it can be clearly discerned what the weapon is. However if foreshadowing is at work, which is certainly is, then we may have already seen the weapon before. Not that Hussie hasn't pulled things out of left field (the hints of Calliope being a troll turning out to all be red herrings) but it more likely that the answer has been staring us in the face. So my money is still on something pertaining to First Guardians. Maybe we'll finally get something of an origin story for the most powerful beings in the universe? Yes they were all made with ectobiology, but how does a bunch of random things and a mysterious code translate into god-like beings?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I really hope Vriska doesn't double-die, but I'd put anything up to Hussie.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I am just so unspeakably happy that a protagonist is actually loving doing something besides sitting around whining for months and months about the stupidest poo poo imaginable.

Quick, Hussie, smash cut to someone completely irrelevant so they can complain about their head lice or how some dense rear end in a top hat can't knock together the brain cells to pick up on their plaintive longing.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 28, 2013

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Hussie's usage of color strikes again, and a nice visual chord at that.

snucks posted:

The scourge sisters are serving as pretty good foils to each other right now. Terezi's become a nervous wreck after doing the right thing by killing a single psycho, all while that very psycho is pretending to do the right thing as a justification for obliterating an innumerable number of souls without any hesitations or apologies.

Again, I'm pretty sure there's no actual soul-destroying going on. Sprites being able to revive things points pretty heavily to there being an actual afterlife beyond the dream bubbles, and the only thing the dream bubbles seem to have over any other kind of afterlife is the ability to interact normally with living characters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Seoinin posted:

I am just so unspeakably happy that a protagonist is actually loving doing something besides sitting around whining for months and months about the stupidest poo poo imaginable.

Quick, Hussie, smash cut to someone completely irrelevant so they can complain about their head lice or how some dense rear end in a top hat can't knock together the brain cells to pick up on their plaintive longing.

It's been how long since we've seen the Mayor? We have to see what he's doing, it's simply vital!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cleretic posted:

It's been how long since we've seen the Mayor? We have to see what he's doing, it's simply vital!

This but unironically.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Also I'm seeing a whole bunch of people independently making comparisons to Wreck-It Ralph. I don't know how fitting that is having not seen the movie but enough people have referenced it to make it worth mentioning.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Vriska continues to be the best. Also, that was a pretty pointed 'Disrobe' there. That overcoat is turning up again, you mark my words.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Huh, so Vriska's jumping straight into hell. Just in time to be resurrected for Easter!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Also I'm seeing a whole bunch of people independently making comparisons to Wreck-It Ralph. I don't know how fitting that is having not seen the movie but enough people have referenced it to make it worth mentioning.

She's a bad guy, but that doesn't make her a bad guy!

e: That last panel would make a pretty nice avatar, but I can't think of a non-melodramatic caption.

Looper fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 28, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Now I'm all for consequentialism in theory, but I think a crazy 13-year-old troll might be better off sticking to deontology.

Also the downside of Homestuck being all irony, all the time was shown to me here when I couldn't quite enjoy Vriska's (fairly entertaining) speech because I kept expecting the situation to get underminded for a laugh. In fact that still might happen.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 28, 2013

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Come ooooon [S] Vriska: Descend! Be an actual thing that happens and tear my heart to pieces. I'm ready!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Vriska Serket loving owns.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Treasure is Crowbar's crowbar.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Vriska Motherfucking Serket. :patriot:

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
I guess this is the bit where Hussie gives her a medal.

VVVV
I don't know why this is such a thing in culture suddenly. I don't know if it's post-9/11 or what, all these weirdly earnest "i am such a sad badass, heavy is the crown of being better than everyone else because the plotline was arranged to justify my actions" things. The Nolan batman movies did that, didn't they? And all the modern warfare games, I think?
VVVV

Jazu fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 28, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The speech owned and demonstrates why Vriska is by far the best character (by virtue of being the most morally ambiguous), but drat if it doesn't sound exactly like the kind of speech a badass gives before they go off to their death.

I got the exact opposite out of it; after her basically saying "oh poor me no one likes all the terrible things I do" three or four times my eyes glazed over but still skimmed the whole thing, enough to see that the rest of it is even more of a pity party. Vriska isn't a badass, she's a petulant teenager.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm reminded of the staff that Lord English turned into a gun to shoot Hussie with.

That's probably not the weapon.

But it is a weapon.

:tfrxmas:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I fuckin' love Vriska. Vriska is the best.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

I got the exact opposite out of it; after her basically saying "oh poor me no one likes all the terrible things I do" three or four times my eyes glazed over but still skimmed the whole thing, enough to see that the rest of it is even more of a pity party. Vriska isn't a badass, she's a petulant teenager.

Yeah, basically this speech was Vriska with her Vriska turned up to Vriska, so if you like Vriska already you really like this speech but it's not gonna change anyone's mind. Still sufficiently dramatic to mark whatever's going to happen next, whether she's about to double-die or not, which was obviously its intended purpose.

She's not even addressing the real reason people are mad at her right now. Everyone (including the readers, including me) had been willing to put up with her mind-controlling millions of ghosts into double-suicide because it was theoretically for a good cause; the part that made people start deserting her (other than John) was that when she found out there was a ring that could bring someone back to life she was completely incensed that such a thing was not already in her possession (because she wanted it), and immediately press-ganged all these other dead people, who would all really appreciate a resurrection themselves, into searching for it so she could take it and leave them all in the afterlife to fend for themselves, because obviously she's the most important person present. When you are a character in fiction, committing immoral atrocities is just fine as long as you're not a douche.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The best thing is whether Vriska dies or lives (uh, keeps unliving), there's gonna be fan outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
Actually, I don't think I mind Vriska, I just mind you guys. It seems like she teases out a whiff of the 4chan-masculinity-issues id of the internet. How she interacted with Tavros is pretty much equivalent to people on 4chan or reddit talking about being "alpha" or "beta".

Except for the bits where she actually gets presented as cool, I guess. She just wants to be a badass too much for me to want her to be.