Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Basically a half-ton medium laser. As a general rule, they're more like much lighter versions of the next size up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hastur is sitting behind the undefended Hells Horses dropship right now isnt he? Couldnt he just get on the spaceboat and guarantee a mission win? There are only three enemies left, they might be inclined to surrender if they think the dropship will start shooting at them.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
At this point the command lance is rapidly approaching the point where the dropship's guns could indeed kill them all before they could inflict sufficient damage on the dropships to prevent them making a get away. I say the players should at least offer the remaining enemies the option of surrender.

It's not clantech, but the CC would no doubt be interested in those HVAC/10s and their special ammo types. The Mackie just happens to have a perfectly serviceable HVAC/10 attached to a still mobile 'mech that the Death Commandos could load up onto their dropship and fly off with, if they can keep it alive long enough to force its surrender.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Why do people keep suggesting that we ask for surrender? We're Death Commandos, giving or accepting quarter isn't our thing.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's not about quarter. It's about doing what works. Killing everybody might be satisfying, but sometimes (just sometimes) it isn't the solution that gives you the best outcome. This would probably be one of those times, though I highly doubt anyone in the Kestrels would be dumb enough to walk onto a DC dropship expecting to ever see daylight again.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So if things remain the way they have for a couple of more rounds we will have secured one objective. Correct?

I mean there are no hostile forces close to either the DC or the HH dropships.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Voyager I posted:

It's not about quarter. It's about doing what works. Killing everybody might be satisfying, but sometimes (just sometimes) it isn't the solution that gives you the best outcome. This would probably be one of those times, though I highly doubt anyone in the Kestrels would be dumb enough to walk onto a DC dropship expecting to ever see daylight again.

Yeah, this. Offer them HONOURABU SURRENDU and then shoot them in the face when they get out of their robits.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
There's no need to be wasteful. If you wind up with prisoners somehow, you might as well interrogate them for everything they know and maybe think about holding onto the officers if they'd be worth anything to the Davions.

Also, my original point is somewhat inaccurate because I forgot the Kestrels don't know who they're fighting. They may be in for a rude surprise!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Won't all the mechs have to be within range of the dropships as well as the enemy away from the dropships?

Anyway, full victory is just that much more valuable, sending Hastur might be worth it (though he'll be worth a bit of a distraction once all enemies are engaged and won't have unused firepower to throw his way), but GoonForce has got this! This round pretty much almost makes up for the loss of the wolf spider and our forces are once again winning!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Readingaccount posted:

Won't all the mechs have to be within range of the dropships as well as the enemy away from the dropships?

Anyway, full victory is just that much more valuable, sending Hastur might be worth it (though he'll be worth a bit of a distraction once all enemies are engaged and won't have unused firepower to throw his way), but GoonForce has got this! This round pretty much almost makes up for the loss of the wolf spider and our forces are once again winning!

Winning by a razor's edge. If any of those shots had gotten a lucky TAC on T.G.'s Exterminator, we'd be up poo poo creek. Let's see how well we hold out for the three rounds it will take to scratch down the Awesome and get some shots into the Battlemaster before we celebrate.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Voyager I posted:

There's no need to be wasteful. If you wind up with prisoners somehow, you might as well interrogate them for everything they know and maybe think about holding onto the officers if they'd be worth anything to the Davions.

Something tells me that the only reason the Davions would want the battalion commander of this mission back is so they could interrogate him themselves to find out what he told the Caps, and then court martial him for managing to lose pretty much his /entire/ command in a single engagement not even an hour after planetfall. They need some kind of scapegoat to blame for this disaster after all.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rorahusky posted:

Something tells me that the only reason the Davions would want the battalion commander of this mission back is so they could interrogate him themselves to find out what he told the Caps, and then court martial him for managing to lose pretty much his /entire/ command in a single engagement not even an hour after planetfall. They need some kind of scapegoat to blame for this disaster after all.

Yeah. Depending on the outcome of the mission, if I were the battalion commander I might just take my Mackie and run for Skye.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Hastur is sitting behind the undefended Hells Horses dropship right now isnt he? Couldnt he just get on the spaceboat and guarantee a mission win? There are only three enemies left, they might be inclined to surrender if they think the dropship will start shooting at them.

Actually, I believe Poptart's said there had to be no enemy units within 5 hexes of a dropship to consider it secured, and unfortunately S3 has parked his big fat rear end 4 hexes from the ponies' ride, so the Goons are still going to have to dislodge him before they can hop aboard.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Rorahusky posted:

Actually, I believe Poptart's said there had to be no enemy units within 5 hexes of a dropship to consider it secured, and unfortunately S3 has parked his big fat rear end 4 hexes from the ponies' ride, so the Goons are still going to have to dislodge him before they can hop aboard.

I thought it was 3? But i've been known to be wrong!

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
He said it changes depending on how many people are left, and the situation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And our situation is a bit stronger than it was a few in-game seconds ago so we'll need to get the Awesome either moved or downed. It would be pretty funny if the Battlemaster squeaks forward to 1109 next turn, preventing us from securing the dropships again.

Incidentally, my orders are in. Steve won't be the lightning-dodging rear end in a top hat he was last round, but I'm trying to make him a somewhat more tempting target than Tjris' Gargoyle at the moment. And also scuff up the Awesome's paint job on somewhat better odds than 8's.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Sounds risky, given that they all tried to shoot you last turn anyways. :ohdear:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Affi posted:

I thought it was 3? But i've been known to be wrong!

I just thought it was a non-specific "X hexes away from both dropships", seeing as how the Death Commando infantry and dropship crews, at least, have already infiltrated their ship and are ready to start it up. Dunno about the status of the Hell's Horses dropship crew, but they should be pretty on the ball.

Still, the remains of the Command Lance are closer to the dropships than the remains of GoonStarCompany, so I think they still have to be roughed up a bit more and taken out before this mission will be considered a minor victory, much less a major success.

I doubt that you guys should offer surrender to the remaining Kestrel Command Lance. While they have proven themselves and might make good bondsmen, especially the Battalion Commander, I doubt they'd take the offer even if it was proposed, seeing as how they are fanatical after all, IIRC. And I very much doubt the dishonored Death Commandos will offer terms of any sort to a Davion unit. Then again, I never thought that they'd offer terms to any of the Hell's Horses and have the Clanners take them up on it...

Just take them all out, as long as Steve is still up and his mech relatively undamaged, you'll be able to pull this off.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A compromise: offer them surrender on conditions that the Awesome and the Mackie push the wreckage of their unit into a a giant "HANSE DAVION SUCKS" sign. That was you have captives AND troll the FedSuns. I'd call that mission accomplished.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I don't think the Kestrels will even consider surrender until their last mech has been destroyed, and even then they'll probably turn it down to fly off their dropship.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Winning by a razor's edge. If any of those shots had gotten a lucky TAC on T.G.'s Exterminator, we'd be up poo poo creek. Let's see how well we hold out for the three rounds it will take to scratch down the Awesome and get some shots into the Battlemaster before we celebrate.

Lucky TACs are hardly a razor's edge, though a noticeable risk, but you're right, I was overestimating our chances, what with all the remaining firepower of the three mechs and armor on the two others, and even considerable structure on the Battlemaster.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 29, 2013

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

If an enemy retreats from the field, the side with fewer kills is credited with the kill. PTN's way of keeping it close.

Great job, Hastur. Rest easy now.

Hastur doesn't care who gets the kill. The enemy is defeated; it is enough.

:)

Now, to go back the way he came and see if anyone decides to come and play.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Isn't his current position perfect for approaching from behind once a sufficient number of them are engaged in a direction (probably only when there's only 2 left at the most) that he won't just be shot down by their leftover close-range firepower?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 29, 2013

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
Current thinking: Hastur wanders until someone's close enough to be jumped upon ;)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

seekerwithin posted:

Current thinking: Hastur wanders until someone's close enough to be jumped upon ;)

Unless he chooses to board the DropShip.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

And orders them to take off before anyone else can board. Preferably while hitting the radio and calling "Later, shitlords!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'd be ok if Hastur withdrew to the dropship now. I just want him and Steve to live. Terrance and Wilberforce are the other guys I really like, but they took the mission off. Would have been nice if Piet had lived, if only out of spite for her intention to get herself killed.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, at this point Hastur is better off boarding one of the dropships once the way is cleared. That way when the dropships burn out of the atmosphere, at least /someone/ from the mission will escape. Not a whole lot else he can do with his one small laser and his boot in the face of three Assault 'Mechs armed with murderous firepower.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rorahusky posted:

Yeah, at this point Hastur is better off boarding one of the dropships once the way is cleared. That way when the dropships burn out of the atmosphere, at least /someone/ from the mission will escape. Not a whole lot else he can do with his one small laser and his boot in the face of three Assault 'Mechs armed with murderous firepower.

That would elevate him to best mech of the Campaign instead of just the match.

I can hardly believe this is winding down. Or that so many mechs are still alive at this point.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hastur should try to DFA someone.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Affi posted:

Hastur should try to DFA someone.

With the dropship

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I think Hastur should stick it out. I'd trade him for a 'complete' victory and all the attending swag. As cool as he is, the best weapons on his 'Mech aren't going to get anymore blown up, and he doesn't seem as valuble an asset as some of the other prisoners. I mean, as a pilot he's terrifying, but on the grand scale, that's pretty minor.

On the other hand, keeping the threat of a DFA attack might, at very least, force the command lance to waste a turn shooting what is, essentially, a crippled asset, while our actually armed 'Mechs get another turn of fire in. Which, as Steve just showed, can be a very good thing. The thing is, a DFA forces targeted mechs into different hexes, and dunking one of those open CT's in the moats could be an instant kill, no 'Crit! No critical hits sustained!' and no wearing the armor off arms and side torsos while the CT is sitting there naked.

'course, it'd be easy for PTN to dance around these possibilities, but he'd still have to dance, which means that, gunless though he is, Hastur is still a valuble asset on the field.

(Am I doing this grog thing right?)

Really all I care about is the Merlin surviving, possibly landing the winning kill with that PPC.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can do that? may be time to change an order!

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

seekerwithin posted:

Noooooo!!! DFA man! DFA.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

seekerwithin posted:

I'm with the JJ: if you stay on the battlefield, you can threaten the command lance from behind with a DFA, requiring them to either waste fire stopping you, or risk eating a headcap/flooding.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

seekerwithin posted:

I can do that?

Yes.

No one can interrupt you by dealing damage, there's nobody in position to hit you.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'd get on the ship. You aren't much of a threat anymore, and by boarding the dropship you assure us of at least a small victory out of all of this.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'd get on the ship. You aren't much of a threat anymore, and by boarding the dropship you assure us of at least a small victory out of all of this.

Does it though? We'd get a very beat up Mech with most of it's weapons not just damaged but blown the gently caress off. An intact ER Small Laser just isn't worth the tiny value we'd get by having him box up the command lance. He's actually in a great position to plant himself in someones rear arc and force them to scoot away from the dropship or shoot at him, and reveal their back to the rest of Goonlanstar.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, hopping on the Hell's Horses dropship seems to be the way to go for Hastur. He's not going to get much out of that ER Small Laser that he has left, and him getting on guarantees GoonStarCompany at least a minor victory, I think.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
ER Smalls are pretty good weapons. Hastur is better off on the field, drawing fire and being trouble. Taking him off of the field is of no help to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Honestly Hastur himself is probably more of an asset than his `mech is. The guy doesn't even fight with his eyes open. If the rifleman boards now and ends up in CC space, they get a prime example of neural implants and the guy that they are based on. That alone would be huge. They'd also have an example of an ER weapon, which hopefully could be scaled up into bigger ones by someone with a brain.

• Locked thread