Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That's the point. The Empire doesn't care if they lose any single TIE/pilot and shields and hyperdrives slow down the primary advantage of the interceptor which was that it was fast and maneuverable (read: for dogfighting) as hell and nothing in the Rebel arsenal could match it for both speed and maneuverability. (A-Wings beat it for speed but don't maneuver nearly as well, and I don't think there's a fighter that matches its maneuverability outside the atmosphere)

Also is this ALSO the comic run where Leia is an ace fighter pilot? Because gently caress this poo poo I'm going home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

api call girl posted:

That's the point. The Empire doesn't care if they lose any single TIE/pilot and shields and hyperdrives slow down the primary advantage of the interceptor which was that it was fast and maneuverable (read: for dogfighting) as hell and nothing in the Rebel arsenal could match it for both speed and maneuverability. (A-Wings beat it for speed but don't maneuver nearly as well, and I don't think there's a fighter that matches its maneuverability outside the atmosphere)

Also is this ALSO the comic run where Leia is an ace fighter pilot? Because gently caress this poo poo I'm going home.

Yeah. I don't really mind her flying a fighter but now she's being really stupid about some chick Luke is banging.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

api call girl posted:

I don't think she's an ace, I think the point is that the author thinks that being able to pilot a ship/fighter is like being able to drive a car.

As to ties, they can be refitted with hyperdrives and shields (thank you Mr. Anderson) but it slows them wayy the heck down and makes them unfeasible for what the empire was trying to do. I mean they mothballed tie advanced (both the initial version that Vader piloted at the death star, and the mk 2 that showed up in Tie Fighter), and the Tie Defender programs due to the costs.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Calax posted:

I mean they mothballed tie advanced (both the initial version that Vader piloted at the death star, and the mk 2 that showed up in Tie Fighter), and the Tie Defender programs due to the costs.

Enough people to put people in tin cans and throw them at an enemy, not enough money to buy better tin cans. You'd think at some point someone would have done a cost/benefit analysis :colbert:

I mean, it's kind of a piddly thing to be irked about, but there are definitely a couple holdovers from the initial movies (paper starfighters, imperial marksmen that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if they had a scope and a spotter) that seem really weird to bring into the wider lore as "canon".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Enough people to put people in tin cans and throw them at an enemy, not enough money to buy better tin cans. You'd think at some point someone would have done a cost/benefit analysis :colbert:

Most of the budget went to the development of both Death Stars.

Except the safety of the reactors of those things. Those went into sweet Vader and Palpatine only Bumper Car rides at Hologram Fun World!

Also, Battlefront 3 rumours about once more.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

When they take the comics license away from Dark Horse and give it to Marvel, will the old stuff remain in print or should we start stockpiling Rogue Squadron Omnibus books now?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pththya-lyi posted:

When they take the comics license away from Dark Horse and give it to Marvel, will the old stuff remain in print or should we start stockpiling Rogue Squadron Omnibus books now?

Source on this? I haven't heard anything about DH losing the comics license, and ever since the Disney buyup, I've been looking for news on that.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

Source on this? I haven't heard anything about DH losing the comics license, and ever since the Disney buyup, I've been looking for news on that.

I think it's more an assumption based on the fact that Marvel and Star Wars are owned by the same company.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

https://www.blueskydisney.com/2012/12/a-marvelous-dark-horse.html

Seems in line with the other projects they've canceled.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So many cancelled projects. I'm scared guys. What if they won't do anything until they are sure the new films aren't flops?!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Finally we can have that much-needed rest from being swamped by the loving "edgy" stories we've got going on right now. 2 years seems good.

PepsiOtaku
Aug 27, 2004

Crystal Blue Holiday Spice Pepsi Free Vanilla Throwback, oh my! :swoon:

This is complete BS. That article is dated from Dec 17 and there has been no such official announcement. Here's a couple posts from the Senior Editor of Star Wars related publishing, from a thread on the Dark Horse message boards dated Dec 29:

Randy Stradley posted:

Well, this is completely untrue:

We have confirmed reports within Dark Horse and Marvel that the licensing agreements are set to expire and they will be transferred over to Marvel.

Well, it's true you never know, but know this: if there is to be news of something along these lines, it will come from either an official announcement from Lucasfilm, or Dark Horse, or both. The fact that there are only about two people at Lucasfilm and two people here at Dark Horse who would be privy to such information (assuming such information was ever to exist) pretty much assures that you will NOT see it coming as a non-sourced story from some "news" site.

However, there's supposed to be some kind of announcement next week, about a new series, and dark horse's "future publishing schedule" so it could potentially be about the comic licensing. There's been discussion about it here:
http://boards.darkhorse.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19916&start=45

I just want them to finish the Omnibuses. :ohdear:

PepsiOtaku fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 15, 2013

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

To be honest I trust Randy Stradley about as far as I could throw him (and the guy is pretty drat fat), seeing as A) What is he really going to say in this situation? B) He's lied point-blank about things in the past.

I mean, a lot of Lucasfilm stuff is in the air now that Disney bought them out, but I think it's pretty drat obvious that moving the Star Wars (and Indy, for what that's worth) licenses to Marvel is about as big a certainty as can be.

PepsiOtaku
Aug 27, 2004

Crystal Blue Holiday Spice Pepsi Free Vanilla Throwback, oh my! :swoon:
You do have to read between the lines of the "business speak" sometimes to get a better idea of what these people are really saying, but I don't think there's anything hidden here. The announcement is mostly going to be about this new series. DH has been churning out a lot of them lately, so I don't think they would announce it if they were just gonna switch everything to Marvel in a year.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
e: nm

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Somebody did a Star Wars parody of the infamous bad documentary called Loose Change.

The name? Lukes Change.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ursine Asylum posted:

I mean, it's kind of a piddly thing to be irked about, but there are definitely a couple holdovers from the initial movies (paper starfighters, imperial marksmen that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if they had a scope and a spotter) that seem really weird to bring into the wider lore as "canon".

Headcannon time (yeah, I know, :spergin:), but I always interpreted the Missile Boat to be so complicated to fly that it took a Force User (like the protagonist of TIE Figher-this is canon) to use it properly (this is based on the fact that whenever I had Missile Boat wingmen they were totally ineffectual). So the Imperials had a Missile Boat prepped and ready for Vader to use at the Battle of Endor and totally ruin the Rebel's poo poo. But then Luke showed up and Vader had to cancel all appointments for a family reunion.

Anyway, I'm done embarrassing myself.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I thought he flew a defender at that point.... along with his trusty right hand man "Doom on You".

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Calax posted:

I thought he flew a defender at that point.... along with his trusty right hand man "Doom on You".

There were two missions in TIE Fighter that had Vader in a Defender, but considering what a murder machine the Missile Boat was, Vader would have logically gone with an upgrade.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Meh, All I know is DoomOnYou or whatever was always in a Defender

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I was (am) a world class miser when it comes to using missiles in games. Hated using it for anything that wasn't a capital ship or station (in those scenarios I would use the missiles to destroy all the turrets and missile launchers for kicks), so I hated the missile boat missions because I would have to clear out all the Tie Defenders using just the single laser canon

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
So books/comics question: I want to read about Vader doing badass Sith stuff ala the Jedi Purge. What are some non-horrible books and/or comics to scratch this itch?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Not a book, but try Force Unleashed.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

effectual posted:

Not a book, but try Force Unleashed.

I played the first one on Wii. I liked it pretty well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ScarletBrother posted:

So books/comics question: I want to read about Vader doing badass Sith stuff ala the Jedi Purge. What are some non-horrible books and/or comics to scratch this itch?

I haven't read it myself, but the recent comic Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison got pretty good reviews. Also I think the Purge series (about Vader hunting down Jedi) is getting a collected release soon; it's a collection of one-shots by different authors so the quality varies but on the whole it's pretty good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's also the novel Dark Lord: The Rise Of Darth Vader, but it's been a long while since I read it myself and I'm nit sure what the consensus on it would be.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Chairman Capone posted:

I haven't read it myself, but the recent comic Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison got pretty good reviews.

I can definitely recommend it. The title may be hokey, but both the story and the art are really good.

By the way, try and avoid the "Darth Vader and the Lost Command" miniseries from 2011, which is in equal parts annoying and confusing. The fact that it's drawn like it was done by Image Comics in the early 1990s doesn't help matters either.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison, you might also be interested in the "Betrayal" story arc of Star Wars: Empire, which has a subplot involving Vader pursuing an alleged Jedi survivor and also features Grand Moff Trachta.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Interested to see actual opinions on this:

http://quirkbooks.com/ShakespeareStarWars

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

BonoMan posted:

Interested to see actual opinions on this:

http://quirkbooks.com/ShakespeareStarWars

This link
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sku=1594746370
has two sample pages.

I think it's funny and the Shakespearean language pastiche seems pretty well done. Then again, I'm a bit of a Shakespeare nerd, so I preordered mine quite some time ago.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

WhyteRyce posted:

I was (am) a world class miser when it comes to using missiles in games. Hated using it for anything that wasn't a capital ship or station (in those scenarios I would use the missiles to destroy all the turrets and missile launchers for kicks), so I hated the missile boat missions because I would have to clear out all the Tie Defenders using just the single laser canon

I remember reading in the X-Wing books about how the pilots love using their proton torpedoes on enemy fighters and not being able to think anything other than "that's so wasteful!"

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Zoran posted:

I remember reading in the X-Wing books about how the pilots love using their proton torpedoes on enemy fighters and not being able to think anything other than "that's so wasteful!"

Same... although in Tie Fighter it was usually justified because SOMETHING would hit the fan and you'd be fighting things that were WAYYY out of your weight class. Either a Traitor Admrial would be flinging Assault Transports at Vaders personal SD (Who the hell named Vaders personal ship the friggin GARRET!?) or a Frigate would pop in and start dumping fighters at you, or you had to play footsie with freighters. In any case a missile was always better served in the tubes than screaming towards a starfighter. Except in a Missile Boat because there usually wasn't enough fighters to completely empty your missile bays.

Most hilarious thing from Tie Fighter? Space Bombs. If you do it just right with the unlimited Ammo cheat, you can end up deploying a ring of bombs around an enemy frigate in a halo effect (they keep overshooting and can't correct fast enough so they form the ring). Then when the frigate changes course you see the entire thing just light up with explosions and die. But even without the "halo of doom" Some of those weapons could just WRECK a capital ship.

I can't help but wonder if there was at least SOME comfort for Imperial Pilots in the fact that they always had a capitol ship or base within spitting distance of their craft to pick them up if they got shot down (or just broke down).

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Dave Syndrome posted:

This link
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sku=1594746370
has two sample pages.

I think it's funny and the Shakespearean language pastiche seems pretty well done. Then again, I'm a bit of a Shakespeare nerd, so I preordered mine quite some time ago.

Reading the sample pages, I'm not a fan! Two Gentlemen of Lebowski was a runaway success because it not only transposed the movie to a different time period, but did a superb job of capturing a Shakespearean pace and energy in its writing. This appears to do neither, and the dialogue has been unnecessarily stretched out to "fit" what most imagine Shakespeare to sound like, without any of the distinctive flourish and wit; it's in iambic pentameter, but that seems to be literally it.

Honestly, it's a hard sell, regardless. Star Wars is very much a straightforward, Campbellian hero's journey story, and stripping it down to essentially dialogue to make it seem closer to the style it's trying to ape takes out all the dazzle that the film, and even the weird original novel, had. The Empire Strikes Back would be a much better "Shakespeare Star Wars"-type story, because it at least has some character-driven drama. I imagine this will find some cult success, meaning that ESB wouldn't be far behind, anyway.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Someone made a mockup of an episode VII poster with the stars looking as they do now. Now, don't get me wrong, this is terrifying and horrible, but I think it's funny to see after seeing book covers for so many years that could only use the likenesses of the actors back in 1983 and give them grey hair. So now I'm going to subject you to it as well.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

thrawn527 posted:

Someone made a mockup of an episode VII poster with the stars looking as they do now. Now, don't get me wrong, this is terrifying and horrible, but I think it's funny to see after seeing book covers for so many years that could only use the likenesses of the actors back in 1983 and give them grey hair. So now I'm going to subject you to it as well.

For all the flak it gets, that's one of the reasons I like the NJO. Most of its covers that featured the Big Three aged them appropriately. In the middle of the series, Luke looked like this (warning: kind of huge), which, while not exactly how Hamill looked at the time, at least looked believable for a 45 year old man with an active lifestyle.

And goddamn, I never noticed how impressive Mara's biceps were.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Episode VII: The Old Republic.

Terrifying and horrible, really? It captures the Struzan style pretty well, and if Carrie Fisher looks as good in the movie, I'll be a happy camper.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The last (and I think final) time Carrie Fisher looked good was in Austin Powers. Now she just looks like someone from Mob Wives.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

She looks like she doesn't have as much weight in that image... >.>

Funny thing, I remember reading a "Star Wars: Insider" a few years ago that had an interview with Carrie, in it she mentioned watching the Trilogy with her daughter, and having to shake her daughter awake for the Jabbas Palace scenes to say "SEE!? THAT is the body you inherited!"

IMO it'd be a bit creepy to have a parent who's mostly known for one outfit that doesn't hide that much (or if you're in the right position, anything apparently).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

thrawn527 posted:

Kenny Baker really let himself go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Most of its covers that featured the Big Three aged them appropriately. In the middle of the series, Luke looked like this (warning: kind of huge), which, while not exactly how Hamill looked at the time, at least looked believable for a 45 year old man with an active lifestyle.

Looks like Luke's been at the space weed again.