Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
...isn't all of Full Moon's stuff on netflix anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Profondo Rosso posted:

Watching grave encounters 2. I really like it so far about halfway through. It seems like as scream was to slashers it is to found footage.

Edit: I also can't hate any film with thermal cam fart scares/laughs

Double edit: upon completion if you thought the first was over top, oh buy this turns it up this 11. Wonderful little film

Yeah, I really have to say I liked it better than the first, which isn't really any good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Darthemed posted:

So has everyone heard about Full Moon's amazing and completely original idea, GrindhouseFlix, a subscription-based service for watching streaming horror films?
With a catalog boasting twenty (20) films, Netflix must be horror-fied. :dukedog:
Hah, Laserblast. That was one of the first Mystery Science Theater 3000s I ever watched.

Also they totally dropped the ball by not using terms like "video SCREAMING service", "unlimited SCREAMING", etc. :c00lbert:

e: Now Slaying, GrindhouseFlix DIEbrary

I'm so sorry

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 28, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

...isn't all of Full Moon's stuff on netflix anyways?

Not even close, and don't get my hopes up like that. No Castle Freak, no Subhumanoids, no Demonic Toys, no Dollman, and only the crappiest Puppet Master movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hah, Laserblast. That was one of the first Mystery Science Theater 3000s I ever watched.

Also they totally dropped the ball by not using terms like "video SCREAMING service", "unlimited SCREAMING", etc. :c00lbert:

e: Now Slaying, GrindhouseFlix DIEbrary

I'm so sorry

Are you the Crypt Keeper?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Are there any other goons here reading the Hellraiser comics? It ignores everything after the second film and goes to crazytown pretty loving quickly. In a awesome way, at least to me anyways.

It's Clive Barker's official canon and as close to a reboot (since it ignores most of what would eventually make the Hellraiser mythos).

I picked up the first two issues last week and I'm liking them so far.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Not even close, and don't get my hopes up like that. No Castle Freak, no Subhumanoids, no Demonic Toys, no Dollman, and only the crappiest Puppet Master movie.

Well, a pretty good chunk of it used to be. :colbert: Also a lot of it's on youtube anyways.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Boinks posted:

I picked up the first two issues last week and I'm liking them so far.

The great thing about it going to a comic format is that it lets Barker explore the mythos; Leviathian and the cenobites aren't the only entities beyond the veil.

Also one of my favorite theories is explored...if the puzzle boxes are used to open the gateway of hell, what would happen if you were in hell and used the puzzle box?

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Also one of my favorite theories is explored...if the puzzle boxes are used to open the gateway of hell, what would happen if you were in hell and used the puzzle box?

Go on...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The great thing about it going to a comic format is that it lets Barker explore the mythos; Leviathian and the cenobites aren't the only entities beyond the veil.

Portal to the Cow Level.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I just want to say that Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death is the dumbest title for a horror movie ever imagined.

Also they did the whole puzzle box in hell thing for Hellraiser 2. It's the avatar of Leviathan, the god of order that controls hell so they use it to escape.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Verizian posted:

I just want to say that Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death is the dumbest title for a horror movie ever imagined.

It's not a straight horror movie, the title is as dumb as possible on purpose.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

If you don't own Castle Freak on DVD that's your problem to fix. :colbert:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Volume posted:

If you don't own Castle Freak on DVD that's your problem to fix. :colbert:

Does he or does he not rip his own dingdong off in that movie?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how Galaxy of Terror holds up?

One movie that's stuck in my craw from a long time ago was this one. I remembered a few things: it was dark, it was sci-fi/horror, and there was an alien worm or something that rapes & kills a woman. It was on HBO when I was a kid and one of those films that I snuck in the living room to watch while my parents were asleep. I don't remember too many details but it horrified me for years as a child.

Googling "sci-fi worm rape" led me to it (I don't imagine that's happened too much in films in this genre); it certainly looks dated from the Youtube trailer, but I also noticed that it's got Sid Haig AND Robert Englund in it. Also directed by Roger Corman.

The wikipedia article on the film claims that it's out on Blu-Ray, so I'm wondering if anyone else has seen the film and can recommend picking it up.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Does anyone know how Galaxy of Terror holds up?

One movie that's stuck in my craw from a long time ago was this one. I remembered a few things: it was dark, it was sci-fi/horror, and there was an alien worm or something that rapes & kills a woman. It was on HBO when I was a kid and one of those films that I snuck in the living room to watch while my parents were asleep. I don't remember too many details but it horrified me for years as a child.

Googling "sci-fi worm rape" led me to it (I don't imagine that's happened too much in films in this genre); it certainly looks dated from the Youtube trailer, but I also noticed that it's got Sid Haig AND Robert Englund in it. Also directed by Roger Corman.

The wikipedia article on the film claims that it's out on Blu-Ray, so I'm wondering if anyone else has seen the film and can recommend picking it up.
I really like it. It's low budget schlock in that charming Roger Corman way.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Hedenius posted:

I really like it. It's low budget schlock in that charming Roger Corman way.

Thanks for the endorsement; after looking at the wiki and realizing it also has Grace Zabriskie and Ray Walston in it, I'm starting to edge toward thinking the film is now a "must get".

EDIT: That does it. Just look at Englund; he was actually a very handsome man in that film.
[/b]

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 28, 2013

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Robert Englund has always been a handsome man.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

penismightier posted:

Hellraiser is pretty bad but I always feel vaguely guilty for not liking most of the Clive Barker stuff I've seen.

Geekboy posted:

This sums it up perfectly. On the one hand, I recognize how inventive and (in a way) brave his stuff is, but it's also just not very good. There's usually an idea or two I find really brilliant, but it's always hidden in something I can barely make myself care about.

I just watched the first one since they're on Netflix and mentioned how I found it dull and aimless to my friend. He said that all he could remember about them was that he was supposed to like them but didn't, which seems about right to me.

The problem with the first movie is it has no idea what it's about - Frank's pedestrian meanness and sexual creepiness is at odds with the transcendental horror of the Cenobites. At no point is he convincing as a seeker after pure experience, he just comes off as a generic bad dude. No one in the film has a character arc except the wife whose name I forget, and not surprisingly she's the only character who makes any sense in this film. She is obsessed with sensual experience, and Frank represents for her what the Cenobites should represent for Frank, except we never see any of that. Kristy and her father don't even have characters, so there's no way to really talk about what any of the goings on mean to them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched the Fourth Kind, and I'm kind of sad that such a creative premise was wasted on a mediocre execution. There are a lot of cool things to do with the combination of narrative film and found footage, but this one didn't quite know how to navigate it.

It seemed like there was some cool stuff going on with the difference between how film communicates and verisimilitude or close recreation of life as it's lived. The difference between Mila Jovovich and the other woman playing the character was by far the most striking, with Jovovich keeping movie protagonist composure, stock "tough woman pushed too far" attitude, and melodrama-style acting, while the "real" her was an utterly broken and traumatized shell--as a real person would surely be after living through a similar experience. It's like the horror of her experience can't be captured by any narrative and so the movie asks us to imagine what could do that to a person, since we know from the older footage that she used to be completely normal.

There's also something interesting going on with closure: the movie ends after her last experience with the aliens, but we get hints at what the character's life was like after that: she's in a wheelchair in deteriorating health, and has to live with the loss of her daughter and husband in a way that will never allow her any closure. The end credits text states that she relocated to another city and was disowned by her son, reinforcing the idea that life goes on for these characters and that they will never get any closure. In distinction to that, the "movie" portion ends with a question to ponder and elides all mention of how the characters will deal with their circumstances. Instead it literally ends with the director and star asking you to think about what just happened, creating a tidy end to the story.

I don't know: maybe I did like it. It just feels like so much more could be done with that premise.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Watching The Keep right now, and woha! Say anything about Michael Mann, but there are very beautiful images coming at me at this moment. Audiation by Tangerine Dream which works by movie magic somehow.

I don't know, I want to see 80's Mann to direct one of Clive Barker's stories.

edit: Oh man, the audio! But still, pretty pictures!

ubergnu fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 29, 2013

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't know: maybe I did like it. It just feels like so much more could be done with that premise.

Personally, when I start coming up with little changes that could make the movie even better, that's a sign that I liked the movie.

It's when I can't even think of how to fix it that I know it's a dud.

Consider this though. Did they consciously make the portrayal of the "real" character seem different to make the actor "portraying" the "real" character seem like acting. Hitherto adding realism to the "real" character.

I'm too sleepy to post that thought with any amount of finesse.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jack Gladney posted:

I just watched the Fourth Kind, and I'm kind of sad that such a creative premise was wasted on a mediocre execution. There are a lot of cool things to do with the combination of narrative film and found footage, but this one didn't quite know how to navigate it.

It seemed like there was some cool stuff going on with the difference between how film communicates and verisimilitude or close recreation of life as it's lived.

The Fourth Kind is such an odd duck because it's not 'just' commenting on the difference between reality and reenactment, to make a point about the insufficiency of the latter. If that were the case, it would be enough to simply present the reenactments without commentary, as in any average documentary. The obvious lurid fictionality of the subject matter would be enough to convey the point.

By having the actors break the fourth wall, and pretend to explain that these are merely re-enactments of a real event, the film's target immediately becomes that type of postmodern deconstruction. It's not the reenactment but the autocritical distrust towards re-enactments that is found insufficient.

When Mila Jovovich (a character played by Mila Jovovich) 'admits' that she is just an actress, this really brings us no closer to the ostensible truth - and probably muddies things even further. The character's claim that she is not a character is obviously a lie.

This is related to the point that the 'real found footage' scenes are themselves scripted, acted and artificially muddied up. The end result is that nothing is convincing - nothing was ever real.

The same conclusion was reached by The Fourth Kind's aesthetic/thematic sister film The Poughkeepsie Tapes. TPT basically concluded that films that try to go 'beyond the fiction' - exposing the raw, Real brutality of serial killers - are dumb and pointless. They are way more false than a straightforward fiction.

See also: the hilarious Human Centipede 2, in which a character asserts that the previous entry of the series was 'only a movie' - but that he, and all the events happening to him, are totally real this time. Honest!

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 29, 2013

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Fourth Kind is such an odd duck because it's not 'just' commenting on the difference between reality and reenactment, to make a point about the insufficiency of the latter. If that were the case, it would be enough to simply present the reenactments without commentary, as in any average documentary. The obvious lurid fictionality of the subject matter would be enough to convey the point.

By having the actors break the fourth wall, and pretend to explain that these are merely re-enactments of a real event, the film's target immediately becomes that type of postmodern deconstruction. It's not the reenactment but the autocritical distrust towards re-enactments that is found insufficient.

When Mila Jovovich (a character played by Mila Jovovich) 'admits' that she is just an actress, this really brings us no closer to the ostensible truth - and probably muddies things even further. The character's claim that she is not a character is obviously a lie.

This is related to the point that the 'real found footage' scenes are themselves scripted, acted and artificially muddied up. The end result is that nothing is convincing - nothing was ever real.

The same conclusion was reached by The Fourth Kind's aesthetic/thematic sister film The Poughkeepsie Tapes. TPT basically concluded that films that try to go 'beyond the fiction' - exposing the raw, Real brutality of serial killers - are dumb and pointless. They are way more false than a straightforward fiction.

See also: the hilarious Human Centipede 2, in which a character asserts that the previous entry of the series was 'only a movie' - but that he, and all the events happening to him, are totally real this time. Honest!

Well, it's like two versions of the same movie: one in the found footage genre and one that's a slick, overproduced hollywood ghost story ala Dark Water/The Woman in Black/A Haunting in Connecticut. The found footage version gives us more of the stuff that gets left out of a more traditional melodrama--men who weep in terror, no closure, ugly people, consumer-end cameras--while the other movie gives us the stuff that other movies give us: professional-grade cameras, editing, tracking shots, a soundtrack, and narrative closure. I agree the movie movie is better and more interesting than the found footage movie, but the found footage movie also takes the poo poo out of the movie movie by pointing out all the stuff we skip over to make a narrative: Mila Jovovich doesn't just get to sit in the hospital pondering the nature of her experience. She has to go to rehab and spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair and wonder forever what happened to her kid and suffer the pain of alienating her remaining child. Life has to go on, and movies have ways of refusing to think about that if they don't want to.

On the other hand, that's a big part of why people like movies and why so many people complain that you never get to see the Blair Witch and that it's just two hours of annoying kids arguing about a map.

I don't know that the movie's making a comment on reality, but asking you to think about realism in movies and what you get with one mode vs. another--or about what one mode is allowed to cheat with vs. what another one can get away with (although in both it's perfectly acceptable to never show the monster, though a traditional melodrama can give you a flashback instead of an interview).

I think I did like it after all.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

^^
Told you.

I can't sleep. So I put in Lovely Molley to pass some time. I had to shut it off, because I'm in this big house all alone, and started getting creeped out. I had to laugh at myself, because that almost never happens to me anymore.

There's something about that movie, that I can't put my finger on HOW it does it, but it's REALLY oppressive somehow. It makes you feel queasy almost, there's such a thick sense of dread to the whole thing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So after over a decade of hearing about how it's one of the most shocking movies ever, I finally tonight watched I Spit On Your Grave. What a piece of poo poo it turned out to be.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Can someone help me recall the name of this goofy looking slasher film I saw in the horror section back when VHS was still popular? It looked like the slasher was a bearded bodybuilder who carried a jackhammer, may have taken place in a prison, and referred to the killer as some sort of unkillable/invincible dude who withstood being hit with 50k volts.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

timeandtide posted:

Can someone help me recall the name of this goofy looking slasher film I saw in the horror section back when VHS was still popular? It looked like the slasher was a bearded bodybuilder who carried a jackhammer, may have taken place in a prison, and referred to the killer as some sort of unkillable/invincible dude who withstood being hit with 50k volts.

It's 3000 volts.

Lyle Alzado is
DESTROYER

3000 volts couldn't kill him.
It just gave him a buzz.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Soon you'll all be at the altar of The Fourth Kind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Soon you'll all be at the altar of The Fourth Kind.

I don't even enjoy it because of all the complicated thematic stuff going on, I just think its creepy as hell and one of the the 2 or 3 scariest UFO movies out there.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
A few days ago I watched the uncut version of Alien Abduction: The McPherson Tape, (via YouTube) as discussed in this thread. Now, I wouldn't go and say it was good or anything, but I could see how it might have been solid if it were more tightly edited. It showed too much to be a real slow boiler. I heard the UPN broadcast version showed the aliens less and while watching it, I thought to myself often, "yes this probably would have been better if they just left that part out." It had some very 90s themes in it, racial tension via interracial dating being the most obvious. Not bad though. Would have been very good at 1h or 1:15 hrs.

I think The Fourth Kind is on the list next for a watch.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

StickySweater posted:

A few days ago I watched the uncut version of Alien Abduction: The McPherson Tape, (via YouTube) as discussed in this thread. Now, I wouldn't go and say it was good or anything, but I could see how it might have been solid if it were more tightly edited. It showed too much to be a real slow boiler. I heard the UPN broadcast version showed the aliens less and while watching it, I thought to myself often, "yes this probably would have been better if they just left that part out." It had some very 90s themes in it, racial tension via interracial dating being the most obvious. Not bad though. Would have been very good at 1h or 1:15 hrs.

I think The Fourth Kind is on the list next for a watch.

When did it become known as The McPherson Tape? I've always known it as Incident at Lake County...

...anyways, yes, the UPN cut does a good job of not showing too much of the aliens. It's the one I watched, and besides the out of focus camera zoom in the woods and the end shot in the camera man's bedroom, you don't get much except some shadows in a window and a quick glimpse of something entering a 2nd story window.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I really enjoyed The Poughkeepsie Tapes for what it was, though: A fictionalized and extreme version of one of those TV "true crime" shows. Also, as I recall, they don't have any "re-enactments" in that movie - everything is drawn from either the killer's found footage or people commenting on it. (Also, the stuff that happens to the killer's victims is literally the stuff of nightmares, made only more "real" by the fact that there's not a single element of magic or sci-fi in it.)

I haven't seen The Fourth Kind yet, but from your description, I don't really think you could compare the two.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched Absentia last night and really enjoyed the first half. Had a pretty cool indie horror vibe to it and I liked the actresses. Then it fell apart in a big way.

I liked the idea of a horror movie that isn't about the acts themselves but the family/friends dealing with what happened to the victim(s). Sort of like Lake Mungo, in a way.

The thing that annoyed me the most about Absentia was the real lack of resolution, the movie didn't really know how to wrap things up, it seemed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I really enjoyed The Poughkeepsie Tapes for what it was, though: A fictionalized and extreme version of one of those TV "true crime" shows. Also, as I recall, they don't have any "re-enactments" in that movie - everything is drawn from either the killer's found footage or people commenting on it. (Also, the stuff that happens to the killer's victims is literally the stuff of nightmares, made only more "real" by the fact that there's not a single element of magic or sci-fi in it.)

I haven't seen The Fourth Kind yet, but from your description, I don't really think you could compare the two.

Isn't that the one where they made Poughkeepsie out to be this sleepy little town of like 2,000 people, or am I way off?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Fourth Kind made Nome out to be a mountainous treed area in the coastal rainforest. With large beautiful houses.

When in reality it's well above the tree line, flat and mostly has glorified portable homes.

Most of the unexplained "disappearances" are just people probably falling into a frozen river while intoxicated.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah I was furious at The Fourth Kind when it came out because so much of the presented facts are just blatant lies and misdirection, but after stewing on it for a while I realized I was an idiot because all movies are blatant lies and misdirection, why should The Fourth Kind be treated differently?

hellraiser13
Jun 16, 2009

caiman posted:

So after over a decade of hearing about how it's one of the most shocking movies ever, I finally tonight watched I Spit On Your Grave. What a piece of poo poo it turned out to be.

You need to watch it with commentary by Joe Bob Briggs. It's both hilarious and insightful. I haven't watched the movie with it's normal audio track in ages.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah I was furious at The Fourth Kind when it came out because so much of the presented facts are just blatant lies and misdirection, but after stewing on it for a while I realized I was an idiot because all movies are blatant lies and misdirection, why should The Fourth Kind be treated differently?

Most movies don't claim to be based on events that are 100% true and even present footage they claim is the actual real realness.

I don't begrudge the movie doing that though, I didn't like it because I found it pretty boring tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

hellraiser13 posted:

You need to watch it with commentary by Joe Bob Briggs. It's both hilarious and insightful. I haven't watched the movie with it's normal audio track in ages.

Does it cause the movie to become interesting and logical?