Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

KLRs have a couple of small issues that need addressing - they like to throw balancer chain tensioners and a few other things (see: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#knownissues). They're basically bombproof though. Ergos are high and wide, at the bars, high and narrow at the saddle - enduro / dirt-bikey. They're not awesome at superlegal speeds (buzzy and breathless) but they're pretty light and maneuverable. They're on my must-own-once list.

He said in the ad he fixed the Doohicky aka the Doo. Welcome to the world of colorful KLR language. Now you just gotta farkle that poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pokey Araya posted:

He said in the ad he fixed the Doohicky aka the Doo. Welcome to the world of colorful KLR language. Now you just gotta farkle that poo poo out.

Absolutely. I love my KLR. It's a great first/second/getting-back-into-motorcycling bike. I think I'm going to teach my brother to ride mine.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

MotoMind's KLR was baller as poo poo. If I had a use for one I'd snag one up in a heartbeat. Awesome, comfortable commuter. :)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

MotoMind's KLR was baller as poo poo. If I had a use for one I'd snag one up in a heartbeat. Awesome, comfortable commuter. :)

Agreed, that thing was like riding an armchair down the highway.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I want to get a motorcycle, I had a street triple last summer and sold it when I moved.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3690747499.html

This bike seems well cared for and has about 20k miles, that shouldn't concern me over a 5k mile SV650 should it?

I want to do track days at High Plains Raceway this summer for the first time. I'd also be wondering around mountains sometimes.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Looking at either the Ninja 250 or Ninja 300. Anything to look for? Probably looking at new but would consider used. First bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Used is better for your first bike. Any "first bike mistakes" you make with it won't be as costly and you won't take the hit of depreciation.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

hunter x az posted:

Looking at either the Ninja 250 or Ninja 300. Anything to look for? Probably looking at new but would consider used. First bike.

If you do go the 250 route, there isn't much in the way of model-specific problems to watch out for. As long as all the normal stuff checks out, you should be good.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

And don't use Champion plugs.

Ever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Not sure if this is the proper thread to talk about scooters or if this is motorcycles only.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying a scooter. I've never owned a motorcycle or scooter before so I'm new to this all. It'll just be for driving across town for going to classes while my wife uses my car. It's about about 10 miles across town to get to my classes. I live in Boise, so traffic isn't really crazy and it seems a generally bike friendly town.

My budget is about $2500 max so I figure I'll end up going through craigslist to find something used.

I know nothing about scooters other than the fact that Vespa makes expensive ones.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Welcome! We do have a scooter thread, and I know Gay Nudist Dad is the local scooterer here and can offer great advice on the vehicle portion of motorcycling.

I will say this though: everything that applies to motorcycles applies to scooters: Gear is important, as is taking a safety course. The only differences are in seating position and vehicle controls.

Textile gear will be the most convenient for commuting and can be had dirt cheap on Craigslist. I'd recommend a full-faced helmet new from a store too. A soft pack will let you keep most of your gear on the bike and switching out of overpants and a jacket is really quick and easy once you get it down too.

edit: get a Ruckus. :madmax:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 25, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why not just get a small motorcycle instead?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

mods vs rockers

E: also if you're really doing just in town stuff the low scooter CG makes it retardedly easy, I guess. When was the last time you saw a scooter rider fall over at a stoplight?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Xovaan posted:

Welcome! We do have a scooter thread, and I know Gay Nudist Dad is the local scooterer here and can offer great advice on the vehicle portion of motorcycling.

I will say this though: everything that applies to motorcycles applies to scooters: Gear is important, as is taking a safety course. The only differences are in seating position and vehicle controls.

Textile gear will be the most convenient for commuting and can be had dirt cheap on Craigslist. I'd recommend a full-faced helmet new from a store too. A soft pack will let you keep most of your gear on the bike and switching out of overpants and a jacket is really quick and easy once you get it down too.

Thanks. I'll check out the scooter thread. Thanks for the advice on the gear too.

Z3n posted:

Nothing against motorcycles, just prefer scooters.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Define "scooter".

;)

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Snowdens Secret posted:

mods vs rockers

E: also if you're really doing just in town stuff the low scooter CG makes it retardedly easy, I guess. When was the last time you saw a scooter rider fall over at a stoplight?

FWIW I saw a dude flip his scooter last month taking off from a stoplight.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Commuting in a city, I think you're better off with a scooter. No clutch hand to cramp, easier to park, easier to slip between cars. And $2500 will be plenty to get you a decent used scooter.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

FWIW I saw a dude flip his scooter last month taking off from a stoplight.

Yeah I drat near 12-o-clocked my friend's 2t Stella coming off a stoplight. It was tricky getting it into gear and then *BAM* front wheel way up in the air!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

mods vs rockers

I totally saw a dude on a scooter just fall over at a light once. No idea why.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Drunk? I know a guy that rides a ruckus when he goes to the bar. His reasoning is "It's just a scooter!" I tried to explain that wrecking at 30mph is the same on a bike as it is a scooter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've know a guy charged with an impaired on a bicycle.

There was also some old dude in the news a while back charged on a mobility scooter.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

My dad told me one time he was so high when he stopped at a light he forgot to put his feet down and fell over. As I understand it he was good at riding and hell on wheels in a car or on a bike but he'd be the first to admit he sure was stupid. Tangentially related to the conversation I know but still a pretty funny story.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Piaggio MP3 and he forgot to push the "stand up straight" button?

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
I'm bying my first motorbike this spring, and i have narrowed my choises to either Kawasaki ER-5 or Suzuki GS. Both are around 1999 or 2000 model with 40-50k km. Honda CB is in this range too but its really hard to find one with a decent price, as they tend to be overpriced here (finland).

Both are twin engine 500CC but wich one is more reliable and easy to maintain, im keeping the bike for at least two years.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 27, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
They're both broadly similar and I would imagine both are about equally reliable and easy to maintain, though each one will probably have its own little characteristic foibles and weirdnesses. Ask Nerobro about GSs; he has like a million of them.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Count me in on the "Looking at a KLR for first biek."

Guy here is looking to sell me a fully stock 2007 with the loose vacuum petcock issue I've read about with about ~2100 (yes, that's 2100 miles) on it for $2000. He's said he's got a replacement petcock valve already there, just needs to drain the gas and install it. I know the guy personally, he's old now and has been on bikes/working on them since he was 16.

It'd be my first bike. I don't think I can say no... I go to see it on Saturday. Bike goons? Input? Good way to learn the ropes? I plan on picking up lowering links to make it just a bit easier on me (33 in. inseam) and puttering around to see if I can do the doohickey replacement myself soon enough.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
2007 is the last year before the redesign which means two things; it's both bulletproof and a shame that it isn't 1 year newer. $2k is a great deal for a mint KLR that 'new,' if you trust yourself to a bike that heavy and tall as a starter bike I'd say go for it, after all the KLR650 is dirt cheap to maintain and is a pretty forgiving bike overall. Make sure you spend lots of time in a parking lot getting comfortable with it's high center of gravity before you do anything crazy with it.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/3689832630.html

Any CA advice for pricing a salvage bike? Is salvage on a bike not as bad as a car, or still something to avoid?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Chriskory posted:

Any CA advice for pricing a salvage bike? Is salvage on a bike not as bad as a car, or still something to avoid?

Typically something to avoid, you have no way of knowing what happened to the internals. It could be all hosed up inside and you'd never know until a few thousand miles. Then again apparently a new engine costs 1500 so you'd still be getting a good price if that happens and you survive.

Great price for that bike though. I love my streety.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
A work buddy of mine has been really wanting to get a bike, but been putting it off because he has some military reservist gigs that he can't afford to miss and didn't want to risk spraining of fracturing something and missing a drill. Now that his schedule is clearer he's looking into bikes. Before he was mainly drawn to the cafe racer look now trendy (though you really don't see many of those chop-job ones in DC) or the Triumph Bonneville (buttload of these in DC). Then last night he texts me all excited with this pic and the question "how do I get/ride one of these?"

(am I right in guessing this is some home-bobbed older model Yamaha cruiser?)

I come in the next day to work, and he's already signing up for MSF and reading up on bobbers. I'd like to have some suggestions for him as to bike, but cruisers aren't much my area. I mentioned the S40 Suzuki to him, since there are so many mods out for that, and he's been excited about the simplicity of that design. I let him know that bobbers aren't great long-distance bikes, and he's fine with a bike that's mostly for city and a some occasional highway. I'm mostly just glad that he's not just joining the ranks of PTSD'ed out ex-mil guys who buy a literbike right out of MSF. Dude gets in trouble enough with a fast car, so very glad he's looking at chill bikes.

Overall, is a bobber too odd of a choice for a first bike? Or maybe get a model of cruiser that's easy/popular to do a bolt-on bobber conversion on, ride it as a cruiser for a few months, and if he enjoys it go bobber? The S40 I know isn't a fast bike (cruises 60, passes at 70?) but I understand it's got good torque and a wide powerband, so sounds like a reasonable beginner bike. He's 6'2", and there's some debate online about whether that's too tall for an S40, but they make forward controls that add another 6", so I suppose that's an option.

Help him get into a bobber, help him find a cruiser that would later be an easy conversion, or convince him to get something that's not a <900cc cruiser?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Meh, my only worry is that he'd decide not to wear a full-face because it doesn't fit the image he's going for.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've been thinking about getting a bobber as a more relaxed city bike myself. The biggest concern is probably that the rigid rear conversion or at least compromised rear suspension is going to be an awful match to city roads strewn with potholes, manholes, metal plates, sloppy blacktop patches etc. It's pushing me more towards something supermoto.

There's also the concern that may or may not be applicable to your friend, but if at least a tiny bit of wanting a motorcycle is to show off to the opposite sex, it does you little good to have a bike they can't ride pillion on.

The Ryca kit for the S40 is pretty neat looking, but not cheap. You can check out guys like these guys for ideas about easily bobbed bikes: http://bluecollarbobbers.com/web/ Their kits don't look as sophisticated as the Ryca but they're mostly non-destructive so you can reverse it if you don't like the look.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

There's also the concern that may or may not be applicable to your friend, but if at least a tiny bit of wanting a motorcycle is to show off to the opposite sex, it does you little good to have a bike they can't ride pillion on.

Sometimes I wish I had a cruiser or standard just for this reason. Having a girl way up high behind me is awkward.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Chriskory posted:

If you don't know what to look for (if you have to ask...) you should avoid. As far as that particular bike, take a look at the steering stops on the bottom of the frame neck, they like to break off in crashes. I wouldn't really have an issue doing it if everything looked okay. I went to look at an 08 GSXR750 a few months ago that was a clean title. I saw a little bit of overspray so I looked closer - engine case was jb welded together where it was cracked near the clutch cover.

As far as internal damage - it can happen if the tip over sensor fails and the bike runs on its side. I just replaced the engine in my 06 Daytona 675 with a motor out of an 09 675 for $1500-ish all said and done... check for sparkles on the dipstick if you go to look at it. See anything in the oil? Walk away. Mine died to the ever common spun bottom end bearings that come with high rpm abuse on the 06-08 motors. Also possible low oil in its lifetime. Whatever, more power now.

I'd definitely rock that bike for the price.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 28, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

(am I right in guessing this is some home-bobbed older model Yamaha cruiser?)

Looks like it was once a Yamaha XJ Maxim.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

If you don't know what to look for (if you have to ask...) you should avoid. As far as that particular bike, take a look at the steering stops on the bottom of the frame neck, they like to break off in crashes. I wouldn't really have an issue doing it if everything looked okay. I went to look at an 08 GSXR750 a few months ago that was a clean title. I saw a little bit of overspray so I looked closer - engine case was jb welded together where it was cracked near the clutch cover.

As far as internal damage - it can happen if the tip over sensor fails and the bike runs on its side. I just replaced the engine in my 06 Daytona 675 with a motor out of an 09 675 for $1500-ish all said and done... check for sparkles on the dipstick if you go to look at it. See anything in the oil? Walk away. Mine died to the ever common spun bottom end bearings that come with high rpm abuse on the 06-08 motors. Also possible low oil in its lifetime. Whatever, more power now.

I'd definitely rock that bike for the price.

That's helpful information, I wasn't aware of the steering stop. So i'll check for particles in oil and possible cracks in the engine casing or frame.
I'm was mostly worried about paying a fair price considering the title, I really miss the triple sound.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Barfolemew posted:

I'm bying my first motorbike this spring, and i have narrowed my choises to either Kawasaki ER-5 or Suzuki GS. Both are around 1999 or 2000 model with 40-50k km. Honda CB is in this range too but its really hard to find one with a decent price, as they tend to be overpriced here (finland).

Both are twin engine 500CC but wich one is more reliable and easy to maintain, im keeping the bike for at least two years.

The ER-5 is a more powerful bike. And... if you watch people on this forum, EX500/ninja500's have this miraculous ability to crash. I don't know why. And being water cooled, they have a lot more things to fix if you end up off the road.

The GS is air cooled. Other than the ignition system, the entire engine is self contained. The only way you can take one out in a crash is cracking a case. There's a whole heck of a lot less to go wrong. But you're also at the mercy of an air cooled engine, which means it's idle changes a little with temperature. Such is the nature of air cooled bikes.

If durability is your ONLY concern, the GS wins. I also trust the GS chassis more. There's only one fluid to maintain as well. You also get the Suzuki parts bin advantage. Most GS parts are shared with other suzuki models, so if you screw up, you're gonna find parts at the local parts shop.

I'd go GS. :-)

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

2007 is the last year before the redesign which means two things; it's both bulletproof and a shame that it isn't 1 year newer. $2k is a great deal for a mint KLR that 'new,' if you trust yourself to a bike that heavy and tall as a starter bike I'd say go for it, after all the KLR650 is dirt cheap to maintain and is a pretty forgiving bike overall. Make sure you spend lots of time in a parking lot getting comfortable with it's high center of gravity before you do anything crazy with it.

Thanks for the reply. How much does a center of gravity affect the ride? Or rather, ride-ability? What adjustments to riding have to be made, or what things are do/don'ts when riding when it comes to the KLR's high center of gravity? More/less lean? Slower into turns than on other bikes? Anything in these questions make sense?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The high CG really doesn't affect ridability once you get over 10 mph. Having a taller bike means it's slightly harder to get a foot down to stabilize yourself if, for example, you're doing a three-point turn. I've experienced that effect once or twice twice, notably when doing a three point turn on a trail in the woods -- I tried to put a foot down and it was like, "Oh no, where's the ground?" and the next think you know, I'm standing awkwardly next to my bike which had decided to take a nap.

As far as handling goes, being tall really isn't detrimental for 90 percent of riding. I went up to the mountains on the KLR with some other riders, and on knobby tires I was faster than a less experienced rider on a sport bike of some sort. Don't think of it as "Oh, I'm tall, I should lean less," rather, get to know your bike to the point where you can intuit, "Okay, I'm going a bit too fast for the next turn, I should scrub some speed before I need to turn in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
After all that messing around looking at different nakeds we went to a dealer today and she's put down a deposit on a VFR800.

Quite an awesome bike, completely outside of the style we were even looking at.