Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

oscarthewilde posted:

http://www.creative-assembly.com/total-war-arena-new-free-to-play-game-in-development-at-creative-assembly/

The official press release for Total War Arena. Honestly not what I was expecting. It could be ok, I guess.

The few times I played it I felt like they did a bang up job with Shogun's multiplayer. With this as a foundation, perhaps they could make a MOBA title that is innovative and fun. That said, I'm a friendless shut in who has never played a total war title for anything but the single player experience. Still, I think there may be cause to hope for those who enjoy a total war multiplayer experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Ray and Shirley posted:

So, here's the big announcement: https://twitter.com/ControlMagazine/status/317351818478895105/photo/1

It's a MOBA. Not what I expected/wanted, but there you go.

It's not necessarily bad and it doesnt look like it will be your standard moba. They already have their huge, newest Total War game coming up. I have faith in them.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Three matchlock monk units was all I needed in multiplayer anyway. :getin:

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Ray and Shirley posted:

The few times I played it I felt like they did a bang up job with Shogun's multiplayer. With this as a foundation, perhaps they could make a MOBA title that is innovative and fun. That said, I'm a friendless shut in who has never played a total war title for anything but the single player experience. Still, I think there may be cause to hope for those who enjoy a total war multiplayer experience.

Just be thankful they aren't taking the Simcity route and forcing multiplayer on everyone. Can you imagine being forced that all your battles are 100% drop-in players or your whole campaign is against live opponents all the time? Actually that would be pretty cool and nerve wracking.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Athropos posted:

Just be thankful they aren't taking the Simcity route and forcing multiplayer on everyone. Can you imagine being forced that all your battles are 100% drop-in players or your whole campaign is against live opponents all the time? Actually that would be pretty cool and nerve wracking.

The true death of save-reloading :awesome:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Randomly get thrown out of your own game and be forced to take command of some AI stack consisting of 3 light infantry units and one ballista 3 ballistae and one unit of light infantry. :allears:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The wording has me hoping that this MOBA will consist of crazy ahistorical/cross-historical battles. A Black Watch battalion holding off a Roman legion, Tomoe Gozen fighting cannon war elephants, and so forth.

Edit: Now I'm wondering whether it's going to have action-y components in the MOBA framework, in the vein of Monday Night Combat. Was Spartan: Total Warrior any good?

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 29, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Randomly get thrown out of your own game and be forced to take command of some AI stack consisting of 3 light infantry units and one ballista 3 ballistae and one unit of light infantry. :allears:

The drop in was actually great at giving you real armies that were within the same size range of the human player. The drop in feature should be the #1 thing they work on because their games continue to become more complex and their AI will never keep up. I think it would be great if it was always on and it picked human AI substitutes based on the skill of the AI commander compared to the human substitute's online rank.

It could give you that sense of 'oh poo poo how the gently caress do we even beat this guy' that the Romans had with Hannibal.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 29, 2013

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

toasterwarrior posted:

I think the reason they took it out was that the AI tended to do real dumb poo poo with it. Hence, pictures of Iroquois Greece from Empire Total War.

Though I hope they'd put it in and limit AI usage of it though. Paradox games have left the curse of "pretty borders" and "not killing everyone ASAP" on me.

I tried playing Empire as Maratha the other day and in my first turn Prussia offered to give me East Prussia. I then quit the game and moved on with my life.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

SeanBeansShako posted:

As long as minor factions last for at least 50 turns in a campaign I'll be happy.
But that's only 50 years! Ahistorical!!! /twc

Too bad Rome is too much of a known quantity to name the game after. It'd be cool if CA just said "gently caress it" to the wind and called it Antiquity: Total War. I would be super pumped to play through all of Antiquity if anything. But then the spergs at TWC would probably say I have an anti-Roman agenda and try to hunt me down and crucify me or something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Sober posted:

But that's only 50 years! Ahistorical!!! /twc

Too bad Rome is too much of a known quantity to name the game after. It'd be cool if CA just said "gently caress it" to the wind and called it Antiquity: Total War. I would be super pumped to play through all of Antiquity if anything. But then the spergs at TWC would probably say I have an anti-Roman agenda and try to hunt me down and crucify me or something.

I think mini-Ancient Near East campaigns and the like would be pretty easy for them to develop à la RotS. The factions for any non-Roman period are kind of too similar for it to be interesting (Shogun doesn't count :v:), or at least as interesting, but while for the main game that's disadvantageous, for a mini-expansion that's only a good thing. Alexander is the most varied other period of Antiquity they could do and 1. they already did it and 2. why do Alexander when they can do Rome, which is even more varied. Rome really is the dominating force for this period. Name recognition, brand recognition, etc. I'm very glad they're opening up the map to the east though; even if we don't want a Pan-Romana, we get to have credible Parthians this time.

I'm actually really psyched for the DLC prospects. "Dawn of Civilization" anyone? We're at the point in game development where mods don't really stack up without an absolutely monumental effort behind them.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 29, 2013

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Whats a MOBA?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Flippycunt posted:

Whats a MOBA?

Massively Overrated Brazilian AJAJAJAJAJA

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flippycunt posted:

Whats a MOBA?

DOTA ripoffs.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Flippycunt posted:

Whats a MOBA?
Some dumb abbreviation that comes out to multiplayer online battle arena or some dumb poo poo (fake edit: I looked it up and I was right). Basically DotA/Dota2/LoL/HoN-style of game.

I prefer the Idle Thumbs version of MOBA, which is Lords Management, abbreviated LoMa (since you literally only control one dude or a dude and some summons vs. RTS style control).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was looking at the Fall units using the in-game encyclopedia during my friend's turn in coop since my copy should be arriving soon and I wanted to brush up on things. Even though it's much more realistic and down-to-earth, I sure am going to miss the ultimate assassin geisha character. Anyway, what's up with the Warrior Ironclad? 18k to create one? Is that the Black Ship equivalent of "yeah, we know ship combat kind of sucks, here's the 'I win' auto-resolve unit"? On that subject, how has steam-powered boats effected ship combat? I don't mind ship combat that much in Shogun 2, but it's just so slow and ships handle like garbage and always run into each other and junk like that. I usually just spam Nanban Trade Ships and Cannon Bune and let the enemies explode when I don't feel like bothering with things anymore.

Oh and another thing, do Generals not have a skill tree anymore? They don't show up on the Characters category in the encyclopedia.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ahhh man I wish my adviser would stop telling me we need more food - I know we need more food goddammit but Land Consolidation doesn't happen overnight it's no use telling me to grow some more goddamn crops when I'm in the process of growing them :argh:

There are only 5 or 6 factions left in the game, three of them super-factions (including my own) and I'm kicking the current Shogunate's rear end, but with no food and dedicated armies out in the field dealing with invading forces I'm getting rebellions all the time - where do all these amazing rebel armies come from? They're giant!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jimbot posted:

I was looking at the Fall units using the in-game encyclopedia during my friend's turn in coop since my copy should be arriving soon and I wanted to brush up on things. Even though it's much more realistic and down-to-earth, I sure am going to miss the ultimate assassin geisha character. Anyway, what's up with the Warrior Ironclad? 18k to create one? Is that the Black Ship equivalent of "yeah, we know ship combat kind of sucks, here's the 'I win' auto-resolve unit"? On that subject, how has steam-powered boats effected ship combat? I don't mind ship combat that much in Shogun 2, but it's just so slow and ships handle like garbage and always run into each other and junk like that. I usually just spam Nanban Trade Ships and Cannon Bune and let the enemies explode when I don't feel like bothering with things anymore.

Oh and another thing, do Generals not have a skill tree anymore? They don't show up on the Characters category in the encyclopedia.

It's pretty invulnerable although not as much as the Black Ship. Prices are higher in general in FoTS though; 18,000 Koku in the 19th century is not the same as 18,000 in the 16th (edit: checking wikipedia apparently it is actually :wtc:; still, prices are just higher in general). It's one of the most expensive items in the campaign though.

And by most accounts the sea battles are much worse than in Shogun 2- but I actually enjoy them more. They're far less tactically worthwhile, but I didn't get much tactical enjoyment out of the Sengoku period ones either and at least this time I get to watch stuff explode. And on that note- that is the biggest change with steam-powered boats. They explode, seemingly randomly, often at the worst possible time.

And there is still a skill tree for generals, not sure why it doesn't show up in the encyclopedia. It's quite a bit better balanced than the vanilla one too.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 29, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Ahhh man I wish my adviser would stop telling me we need more food - I know we need more food goddammit but Land Consolidation doesn't happen overnight it's no use telling me to grow some more goddamn crops when I'm in the process of growing them :argh:

There are only 5 or 6 factions left in the game, three of them super-factions (including my own) and I'm kicking the current Shogunate's rear end, but with no food and dedicated armies out in the field dealing with invading forces I'm getting rebellions all the time - where do all these amazing rebel armies come from? They're giant!
This sounds like the stacks-in-fog-of-war-get-samurai 'feature' right?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Sober posted:

Not really. The unhappier the population, the larger the army you get when they rebel, more people take up arms. If all rebellions ever generated was a half stack of ashigaru, they would never be a threat. The rebellion gets what it gets, it doesn't change once it's in play.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

shalcar posted:

Not really. The unhappier the population, the larger the army you get when they rebel, more people take up arms. If all rebellions ever generated was a half stack of ashigaru, they would never be a threat. The rebellion gets what it gets, it doesn't change once it's in play.

Fair enough, the people of Tsukushi were REALLY pissed off because I stopped exempting them from taxation (the adviser said if I didn't my entire empire was basically going to go bankrupt) and next thing I know a giant army is hanging out on the coastline, which was a little infuriating since I'd just wiped out three large rebellions.

It goes to show the cost of war though, not that long ago I was raking in large amounts of money per turn but then the Shogunate attacked my ally, I jumped in to help them and suddenly there's no money, no food and active rebellions all over the place. If I can just hold out a little longer though, Land Consolidation will kick in food and reduce unrest and I can start expanding again.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Yeah, lack of food gets everyone once in Shogun 2 and after that it hurts so much you never make the same mistake again. It's important to note that whichever province is starving gets -5 happiness per starvation "tick" (Which is 2 turns, if I remember correctly), so it gets up to massive levels of unhappiness very quickly and therefore spawns huge rebel armies. Although if you have Terrace Farming everywhere, how ludicrously huge are your castles/markets that you are running out of food?

e: Pull down some of your food consuming markets to prevent the rebellions, it often works out cheaper in the long term. Alternatively if you are at food cap and get forced to take a territory (somehow...), make it a vassal it instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I think I initially built too many markets, I've been holding off on upgrading them but maybe I should get rid of a few. This won't affect the Metsuke I already have, will it? It just means I might not be able to replace one who is killed/converted, right?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well that Total War: Arena announcement sure is interesting. It looks like it could be great, terrible, or anything in between though since we have almost no info.

Personally I think they have to careful about how they approach this. If they actually try to make something that feels like DOTA but with regiments instead of heroes or whatever then it will probably be terrible. On the other hand if it's basically the Total War equivalent of Kingdom Under Fire I'll be getting it on release.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sober posted:

Pretty sure the AI doesn't generate stacks in the fog of war. It hides them in trees pretty often and your agents only have chance to spot them, so your ninja can wander right by a full stack and not know. Also, the AI can only build Samurai it has the buildings for. It's why you get minor factions with full stacks of katana sams that over time become 6 experience monsters. :argh:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tommofork posted:

Pretty sure the AI doesn't generate stacks in the fog of war. It hides them in trees pretty often and your agents only have chance to spot them, so your ninja can wander right by a full stack and not know. Also, the AI can only build Samurai it has the buildings for. It's why you get minor factions with full stacks of katana sams that over time become 6 experience monsters. :argh:

Stacks of Ashigaru that hadn't ever been spotted by the player used to get converted into Samurai over time, but I think it was patched out?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I think I initially built too many markets, I've been holding off on upgrading them but maybe I should get rid of a few. This won't affect the Metsuke I already have, will it? It just means I might not be able to replace one who is killed/converted, right?

Regular markets that have not been upgraded don't cost any food, so you won't get any benefit to pulling those down, only the upgraded markets. It won't affect your Metsuke, you just wont be able to replace them like you said.

Koramei posted:

Stacks of Ashigaru that hadn't ever been spotted by the player used to get converted into Samurai over time, but I think it was patched out?

People also realised that the AI can build samurai in a single turn on the harder difficulty levels as well as getting bonus recruitment slots, so a lot of people mistook that for armies spawning out of nowhere. I did hear stories of armies containing samurai that were impossible to build (Katana Samurai appearing in a place that didn't have a Sword Dojo), but I never gathered enough information to verify it. I've certainly never seen it happen.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jimbot posted:

All of the ironclads are, in their own way, capable of sweeping the seas of enemy ships with the power of longer range and explosive shells. If I recall correctly, though, you can only build one of the British ironclads, two of the French ironclads, and three of the American ironclads. The Warrior is arguably not worth it since it provides waaaay more power than you're likely to actually need, and you can only have one. Three American ironclads or two French ironclads provide more flexibility and more than enough firepower to handle your needs.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I realized recently what was actually bothering me the most about the naval battles in Empire and Napolean. Mainly it's that the game treats naval battles like they were land battles, with the opposing ships lined up on opposite sides of the field and charging at each other. Naval combat doesn't really work like that. Pretty much every image you can find shows the ships on both sides sailing in the same direction while trading fire. I find it particularly annoying in Fall because when on the defence the naval AI will simply sit its ships in a line and never move them. I'm pretty sure it was never standard tactics to just sit still and spin you ship in circles when being engage by an enemy fleet.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Trujillo posted:

A Han delegation was on its way to Rome at one point but the Parthians lied and said it would take years to get to Rome from Parthia so they turned around :cool:

Who were the Emperors at the time? It might have been just as well...

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Koramei posted:

And by most accounts the sea battles are much worse than in Shogun 2- but I actually enjoy them more. They're far less tactically worthwhile, but I didn't get much tactical enjoyment out of the Sengoku period ones either and at least this time I get to watch stuff explode. And on that note- that is the biggest change with steam-powered boats. They explode, seemingly randomly, often at the worst possible time.

Much as I hate the FOTS naval battles (seriously how did they manage to make them worse than vanilla?) I have to admit the ship explosions are fantastic, I could watch them all day. So drat satisfying.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Arena isn't a MOBA.

It's apparently the MP battles spun out as F2P with 10v10 matches where each player controls three units, according to that article.

That... actually sounds pretty good. I'm guessing they pitched it as MOBA-like because you'll need to kill the enemy generals or something to level yours up.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Arena isn't a MOBA.

It's apparently the MP battles spun out as F2P with 10v10 matches where each player controls three units, according to that article.

That... actually sounds pretty good. I'm guessing they pitched it as MOBA-like because you'll need to kill the enemy generals or something to level yours up.

I'm intrigued. It sounds like it plays sort of like World in Conflict, and WiC scratched an itch somewhere between strategy and action that nothing else has for me.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Arena isn't a MOBA.

That sound pretty drat cool, seeing how it's f2p I will definitely try it out when it comes and I have also signed up for the closed Beta.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That sounds interesting, I wonder if they will pick a single era? or mix and match the last few?

Please be the last one. Samurai Versus 18th century Redcoats sounds awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They gotta mix. Who would not want samurai vs legions? That's just throwing away opportunities.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

That sounds interesting, I wonder if they will pick a single era? or mix and match the last few?

Please be the last one. Samurai Versus 18th century Redcoats sounds awesome.

They mentioned that they will mix and match different eras and that Spartans will fight Templars :getin: .

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh awesome. Hopefully this will encourage some pubbies to learn and play sort of properly and maybe cut down on the more stupider battles we've come across the past.

Not holding my breath.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Arbite posted:

Who were the Emperors at the time? It might have been just as well...

They would have gotten there around the time of Nerva's death so either him or Trajan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh awesome. Hopefully this will encourage some pubbies to learn and play sort of properly and maybe cut down on the more stupider battles we've come across the past.

Not holding my breath.

The whole concept sounds interesting as hell, but I can think of 2 major concerns:

1. If WoT taught me anything, its that expecting teamwork from randomly generated teams often leaves a lot to be desired.
Then again, TW is a different crowd then WoT, and the "balanced matchmaking" hopefully means you can work your way up the ladder into competent brackets and leave the trash behind. Not holding my breath on that though.

2. How they handle grouping will be paramount, especially when you consider grouping of different sizes.

It's a very team based concept, and they'll really need to figure out the team matching mechanics for this to really be good.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 29, 2013