Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
You can also just pay off the remaining balance of the phone and buy it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
So... as a monthly payment 70 grand is reasonable?

AmbientParadox posted:

I think so. But does that cover the cost of the phone? I pay around 90k I think for everything.

I assume so, it was the only price she was showing me. She showed me the price of each phone and they were both like north of 600,000.

joedevola fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 28, 2013

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

joedevola posted:

So... as a monthly payment 70 grand is reasonable?

I think so. But does that cover the cost of the phone? I pay around 90k I think for everything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I pay 70K a month for mine, service + phone fee.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I heard from a coworker that the national-level achievement assessment test has been abolished? Has anyone else heard about this? Is this only for elementary or is it up until college testing?
If it is the case - either way - a step in the right direction, I think.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I pay 70K a month for mine, service + phone fee.

OK, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being hosed on the price, I've literally never had a contract phone as talking on the phone is my number one least favourite thing to do ever.

Welp, I guess I'll see you guys on the Kakaotalk whateverthefuck tomorrow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think I've made a dozen calls in the past year. With unlimited data and Kakao it satisfies all the needs, plus maps and poo poo.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

I didn't see an unlimited option, both phones I was shown had 750MB a month. I've no plans to use the phones to download movies or anything, but would I eat through that just doing Facebook, google maps etc?

QUESTIONS WAAAAAAAAH

I'll probably loving contribute something to this thread some day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My phone doesn't tell me how much data it uses so I don't really know. There aren't any unlimited 4G plans, but 3G should be unlimited on anything but the absolute bottom tier plan.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know if there's an instantaneous ban for posting reddit links, but surprisingly the korea subreddit has a decent cell phone FAQ with a lot of translations.

http://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/174j4q/the_guide_to_get_mobile_in_korea/

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, last weekend I went hiking to enjoy the nice weather and get away from the noise.

And then it happened. A group of college dudes came up with a music player in one of their packs. Gangnam Style was playing right at that moment that our paths crossed.

No where is safe.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I use about 3gb of data a month, I rarely use my phone as a hotspot and I don't download movies or use Youtube often. The biggest data user is probably Kakao and podcasts.

Who was it that said they were using Adventure Time as a class show and were you serious?

Unrelated to Adventure Time, I am very likely going to be in charge of two classes with three levels each for middle school after school. Apparently I get to choose what I want. I already asked FrozenPeas and Lummox and they gave me some good textbook ideas. Does anyone else have any experience with these? Any suggestions? I might as well get the 'wisdom' of the masses.

Also, Sesame Street still holds up, it's amazing and I have some adorable 4th graders.

Learned something new about my school, in 6th grade they put one mentally challenged student in each class. Usually they sit in the back or in the middle at a separate table and just asked to be quiet and sit. Interesting thing is that I'm told all the kids have been taught how and 'trained' to care for their classmate. Whenever they start screaming or talking or getting up someone nearby goes over and calms them down and basically restores order. There are also quite a few students at my school from the local orphanage and this fact was clumped in with the students with mental disabilities.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Between the hikers blasting music out of whatever and the sound systems in parks I think it's literally impossible to find anywhere to just enjoy some quiet alone time. Short of crossing the DMZ or something.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Between the hikers blasting music out of whatever and the sound systems in parks I think it's literally impossible to find anywhere to just enjoy some quiet alone time. Short of crossing the DMZ or something.

How about Frozenpeas' university class last year?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

There aren't any unlimited 4G plans.

There is one now, but it's a new thing on one carrier and I can't remember which one.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I think LG offers the unlimited LTE.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Whenever they start screaming or talking or getting up someone nearby goes over and calms them down and basically restores order. There are also quite a few students at my school from the local orphanage and this fact was clumped in with the students with mental disabilities.

Jesus, I wish that was the case in my school. Here, whenever it comes time for any of the autistic or mentally slow kids to do anything it is The Funniest Thing.

"Teacher, no! He doesn't know hahaha"

Hateful little fucks.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Grand Fromage posted:

Living in the countryside of Gangwon is wonderful if you enjoy some actual quiet time. There are enough hiking trails, parks and beaches that you can avoid the masses of Seoulites.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

politicorific posted:

I don't know if there's an instantaneous ban for posting reddit links, but surprisingly the korea subreddit has a decent cell phone FAQ with a lot of translations.

http://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/174j4q/the_guide_to_get_mobile_in_korea/

Thanks for this, it makes it seem like getting a contract for a second hand phone is really the only sensible option. Now I need to figure out the Korean second hand sites. Fuuuuuuuuuck this, this is why I had the shittiest dumb phone possible for three years in Seoul, because it was EASY.

oldman posted:

Living in the countryside of Gangwon is wonderful if you enjoy some actual quiet time. There are enough hiking trails, parks and beaches that you can avoid the masses of Seoulites.

I have a friend who got posted to Hadang in western Busan and I make fun of him relentlessly for living in a rice paddy, but I am a bit jealous of his proximity to any sort of scenery that isn't a beach. Busan has basically no parks, in the grass on the ground sense.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Don't get a dated second-hand phone thats been drunk dropped 100 times by some idiot foreigner. Just get a new phone and you can pay it out at the end or transfer it.

It's 70,000 a month you're not signing a mortgage. Just go do it already.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't be too sure about that. When I was up there in 2010 I heard them playing "Nobody" by Wondergirls in the basement of the Yanggakdo. I'm sure Gangnam Style's made its way up there too.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

joedevola posted:

Thanks for this, it makes it seem like getting a contract for a second hand phone is really the only sensible option. Now I need to figure out the Korean second hand sites.

Remember that usually can't get any kind of insurance on a second hand phone.

What do I need to wear to a Korean wedding? I can't find my black shoes so, can't wear standard black pants and a jacket.

But I'm already gonna stand out as the only foreigner there, don't wanna underdress.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

BrainDance posted:

What do I need to wear to a Korean wedding? I can't find my black shoes so, can't wear standard black pants and a jacket.

But I'm already gonna stand out as the only foreigner there, don't wanna underdress.

I don't think it really matters. Just wear whatever shoes, dump the money at the door, poke your head in the ceremony, and make a beeline for the buffet. It's a Korean wedding.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think you're supposed to talk loudly on your phone during the ceremony, too.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
JNCOs, Converse, and a Skullet.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Phone bill is 85k and 94k up from 70k but why? I hate SK Telecom so much.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Cameron posted:

JNCOs, Converse, and a Skullet.

Maybe then people wouldn't talk to me.

Just found out it's in Ilsan and the bride wants to show me off.

This is gonna be such a pain in the rear end.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

DontAskKant posted:

Phone bill is 85k and 94k up from 70k but why? I hate SK Telecom so much.

Stop downloading all those k-pop kakao emote packs KANT.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BrainDance posted:

Wear a hanbok and one of those giant hats.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, Kirby, looks like you buggered off just in time.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"THIS time they'll listen to us!"

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Maybe then people wouldn't talk to me.

This is gonna be such a pain in the rear end.

How well do you know her? That sounds irritating.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Hey, Kirby, looks like you buggered off just in time.

Hey guys, we totally cut the last phone link to you.

Except for these other three.

And Kaesong.

Uuuuuuh, and we totally stealth artyed your islands last week when we warned you about it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

terivinix posted:

How well do you know her? That sounds irritating.

Coworker so, you know it's not like we are good friends, but I can't get out of it.

I was just like whatever until I heard how far it was and "I want you to see all my friends and my parents they will like you so much. You are the only American!"

Whizbang posted:

Wear a hanbok and one of those giant hats.
This is the best idea. How much will that run me?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

BrainDance posted:

I was just like whatever until I heard how far it was and "I want you to see all my friends and my parents they will like you so much. You are the only American!"

This sounds like an actual nightmare I would have.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Like Oldman said, that's only true of big parks. I climb the mountains around Goryeong and chill out among the tombs of the old dynasty all the time and it's quiet and peaceful.

People talk about how all of Korea is densely packed, but really as soon as you leave the cities and the big parks it's virtually uninhabited. I can ride my bike for long stretched in the country without seeing a soul.

DontAskKant posted:

Who was it that said they were using Adventure Time as a class show and were you serious?

I used a gif of Jake freaking out to illustrate a point in one of my 1st grade lessons, and all of my students instantly said "Yay, Jake!" Not sure Adventure Time is commonly watched in Korea, or if their elementary teacher used it in lessons.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've had more than a few kids ask me if I watched it, so it must be sorta popular here.

That's the cartoon with the Korean horse right?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Korean rainicorn. But yeah, that's it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So, like, what do they do with that have the hor...raincorn speak English? Or leave it in Korean? If the latter doesn't that fundamentally change the joke in Korea?

Over thinking a kids show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Bugblatter posted:

People talk about how all of Korea is densely packed, but really as soon as you leave the cities and the big parks it's virtually uninhabited. I can ride my bike for long stretched in the country without seeing a soul.

I live in Daejeon at the second to last subway stop on our line. I got on my bike after school the other day and within 15 minutes I was back in some deep mountain hollow with no cell service. It really is as soon as you leave the city. Having a bike really makes you realize just how city oriented the country is, and how beautiful it can be.

• Locked thread