Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Considering how exponentially everything scales anyway, getting 11 new points is one of the few ways you can uniquely per characters (assuming you pick skills that aren't garbage of course) keep up. So I don't really get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

gooby on rails posted:

So... Don't use the skill points? Explain to me again how this completely ruins the game when everyone has been running around with fully pimped elite gear builds for months anyway.

This. I started playing bl2 as a soldier and all I want are 2x dual stacked turrets. It won't break anything anymore than rocket-zerker currently does which is only based on a lucky hoarder class mod and a logan's gun(both easily accessible). If anyone is playing borderlands because it's challenging then I maintain that they're doing it wrong.

Gearbox gains more value out of making me grind to 61 and regain all the gear I've spent months accumulating.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Fibby Boy posted:

Oh goddamnit. It's gonna be borderlands 1 all over again.

Well you grognards can go cry into your 3rd edition monster manual while I laugh it up with double nuke turrets.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Games are for fun and this isn't WoW. Can't wait for more skill points!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

people posted:

Skill Points

More. MOOOORRRRREEE :unsmigghh:

This is gonna be great! I don't know how they're going to handle the level scaling past 50, though- the damage/health is on an exponential curve so it's going to get pretty nuts if they don't change up the formula a bit. Oh well!

\/\/\/EDIT:\/\/\/

I think you have your expectations set a liiitle too high. Why didn't they completely revamp the balancing and add a bunch of new skills GOSH

Not that "balancing" is going to matter after we get all those new skill points. Or mattered in the first place for this game.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 27, 2013

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

gooby on rails posted:

So... Don't use the skill points? Explain to me again how this completely ruins the game when everyone has been running around with fully pimped elite gear builds for months anyway.

I'm sorry I wanted some customization in this game? I don't see much point in getting more skill points when it'll just boil down to 1 or 2 builds being the only things worthwhile. I just wanted borderlands 2, not borderlands 1 but with more stuff.

Edit: I mean would it have been so hard to add in new skills with the skill points? I would've been fine with that.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 27, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fibby Boy posted:

I'm sorry I wanted some customization in this game? I don't see much point in getting more skill points when it'll just boil down to 1 or 2 builds being the only things worthwhile. I just wanted borderlands 2, not borderlands 1 but with more stuff.

Edit: I mean would it have been so hard to add in new skills with the skill points? I would've been fine with that.

As someone who is a software engineer for a living, it would've been a million times harder to add new skills than it would be just just allow more skill points. The existing skills are already there and have already been coded. They already behave as intended. Adding more skill points just allows people to use more skill or use them at higher levels.

The initial skill trees took a long time to design and balance. Adding new skills would require analysis of how they interact with all the other skills the character has, as well as how they interact in co-op with other players. This includes looking at other players using the same class with the same or different skills, and also involves looking at how things balance out with skill from other classes. Then you'd have to code and test the poo poo out of them and then fix bugs. That would take a LOT more time and effort.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Minorities posted:

As someone who is a software engineer for a living, it would've been a million times harder to add new skills than it would be just just allow more skill points. The existing skills are already there and have already been coded. They already behave as intended. Adding more skill points just allows people to use more skill or use them at higher levels.

The initial skill trees took a long time to design and balance. Adding new skills would require analysis of how they interact with all the other skills the character has, as well as how they interact in co-op with other players. This includes looking at other players using the same class with the same or different skills, and also involves looking at how things balance out with skill from other classes. Then you'd have to code and test the poo poo out of them and then fix bugs. That would take a LOT more time and effort.

Fair enough. I'm just not at all excited to have more skill points and wish they had done something different than a level cap.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I bought the 300k+ damage Rocket Launcher out of the Torgue vending machine last night, and with that name dropper attribute, it basically fired nukes. My buddy went gunzerking with it and another launcher and we cleared the bar fight in thirty-eight seconds. My robot hardly touched a thing. I tried using the launcher and blew my dumb rear end up almost every time. I'm now going to farm 999 torgue tokens so if anyone is itching for repetitive action feel free to jump in.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Considering how exponentially everything scales anyway.

Yes, that becomes really clear in the Big Game Hunt expansion when you get a guy thats leveled by a witch doctor. It takes like a solid minute of firing to kill them, not fun.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Jake Blues posted:

I bought the 300k+ damage Rocket Launcher out of the Torgue vending machine last night, and with that name dropper attribute, it basically fired nukes. My buddy went gunzerking with it and another launcher and we cleared the bar fight in thirty-eight seconds. My robot hardly touched a thing. I tried using the launcher and blew my dumb rear end up almost every time. I'm now going to farm 999 torgue tokens so if anyone is itching for repetitive action feel free to jump in.

That's the nuke 'em, right? I have one or two of those if you want.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Do you have a more powerful version or one with a larger magazine? I can hold 34 rockets thanks to a new relic I picked up, but the launcher only holds 1 in the magazine - edit: because of my skill tree reducing magazine size in favor of reload speed.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'll have to look. It seems like mine holds 3, but maybe it's just 2. or maybe I'm talking out of my rear end.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I really appreciate how willing this community is to share! I will be on sporadically tonight and tomorrow trying to level up my Siren; though I find that class is less enjoyable when playing solo, as it feels like a support role in the early stages of building a skill tree. Come to think of it, I'm more likely going to level my Assassin class first.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

According to this you want the Deep a Nuke Em.

I have a Derp Nukem on my Siren. mag capacity is 3. If you want it, I'll be more than happy to dupe it.

delpheye fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 28, 2013

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Figured out that if you die to handsome jacks body double, then leave him alive, you'll get endlessly respawning war loaders. Also got a bug where Mordecai comments on me every time I go down.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Considering how exponentially everything scales anyway, getting 11 new points is one of the few ways you can uniquely per characters (assuming you pick skills that aren't garbage of course) keep up.
I'm really hoping that all this chatter about 'rebalancing for the new playthrough' will include an overhaul on damage math and not just introducing palette swaps with increasingly hyperbolic names.

'More Powerful Than Both Our Dads Put Together Super Ultra Hyper Badass Raider'

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
I wonder how deathtrap is gonna look like with 2 end-tier skills.

Here how he looks like with maxed out "Ordered Chaos":

Maxed "BFF":

Maxed "LBT":

burntpork fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 27, 2013

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Fibby Boy posted:

Also got a bug where Mordecai comments on me every time I go down.

If you have a sloth equipped that's supposed to happen, which it never does for me.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

If you have a sloth equipped that's supposed to happen, which it never does for me.

No sloth, just ran back into the wildlife exploitation preserve and had everything re trigger. Now I've got mordecai asking if I'm okay out in the tundra express.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
So are they adding new skills or just more points?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

BrokenKnees posted:

So are they adding new skills or just more points?
Just more points.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I decided to give the Evil Smasher glitch a shot yesterday, I know many people use the Infinity but I'd rather die than farm Doc Mercy forever so I used the glitch with my trusty Sapping Kitten and it just blew Pete (my beta test of it) away.
As you know, many Moxxi guns restore health when they cause damage, so my health was also being restored by an insane rate, the only drawback was having to reload and hope I didn't blow up in the few seconds it took.

Other than this, I'm currently playing Gaige with a Pure Shock build using most of the LBT tree, shock guns really are the greatest thing around, thanks to Marogareh again for his kind gift of an Infinity, he came on as I was in the middle of farming Voracidus for those sweet Seraph crystals.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Evil Smasher glitch turns anything into a game-breaking monster cannon. An ES glitched Sandhawk is pretty disgusting in particular on Pete.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Raises level cap to 61, allowing characters to gain 11 additional levels.
Characters gain a skill point with every level from 51 to 61, for a total of 11 more skill points.
Powerful new "Ancient" E-Tech relics and rare Pearlscent-grade weapons can be picked up in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.

We get ETech relics too.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

Characters gain a skill point with every level from 51 to 61, for a total of 11 more skill points.
Powerful new "Ancient" E-Tech relics and rare Pearlscent-grade weapons can be picked up in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.

We get ETech relics too.

Give me an Etech relic that boosts the damage of my Slow Hand and I'll be set.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Seraph Weapons always seemed like they'd be amazingly powerful since they are hard to (legitimately) earn and require a lot of crystals per weapon, and since I've recently been able to farm raid bosses, I bought a few to see what they are like, and they are highly overrated.

I purchased the Shock Actualizer and the Shock Patriot from the Oasis Vendor, they are both indeed strong but they have horrific accuracy, and the Patriot is a sniper which is worse, my Shock Pimpernel, from the same DLC, is a hundred times more effective and that's a mere quest reward gun.

My main weapon is a Shock Sapping Kitten, and that has crazy poor accuracy at range yes, at close range, it has no equal though, and it heals you when you make a hit.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Neo Helbeast posted:

Powerful new "Ancient" E-Tech relics

Do you think they'll bring back the Eridian brand?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Judge Tesla posted:

I decided to give the Evil Smasher glitch a shot yesterday, I know many people use the Infinity but I'd rather die than farm Doc Mercy forever
Just empty a clip of the Evil Smasher, switch to another weapon, and do the Vladof rocket infinite ammo glitch.

Then switch back to Evil Smasher for glitching. Only difference is you have to hit reload on Evil Smasher rather than letting it automatically start reloading. Pausing for a second before you reload seems to dramatically increase the chance of the boost working, but maybe that's just me.

And make sure you don't put the Evil Smasher in your backpack until after you've glitched up your damage where you want it. Otherwise it'll automatically reload the clip and since you'll have infinite ammo, you can't reload it for glitching.

Now every gun is super powerful and lasts forever.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Seraph Weapons always seemed like they'd be amazingly powerful since they are hard to (legitimately) earn and require a lot of crystals per weapon, and since I've recently been able to farm raid bosses, I bought a few to see what they are like, and they are highly overrated.

I purchased the Shock Actualizer and the Shock Patriot from the Oasis Vendor, they are both indeed strong but they have horrific accuracy, and the Patriot is a sniper which is worse, my Shock Pimpernel, from the same DLC, is a hundred times more effective and that's a mere quest reward gun.

My main weapon is a Shock Sapping Kitten, and that has crazy poor accuracy at range yes, at close range, it has no equal though, and it heals you when you make a hit.
The Patriot is the worst Seraph gun you could get. It's inbetween a sniper rifle and an assault rifle, and it just doesn't really make any sense.

I think the Actualizer is pretty fun though. It's basically a Bitch with much higher damage and a smaller magazine for trade-off. It's definitely less accurate though, so it's more of a spray and pray weapon.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

The only oasis seraph items worth getting are the Evolution and the Tattler.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

burntpork posted:

The only oasis seraph items worth getting are the Evolution and the Tattler.

I think you mean the ERROR MESSAGE ERROR MESSAGE:black101:

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

Do you actually have this? Because I want one if you do...

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Just started playing. Level 17 and just got to the Fridge. This game is awesome and fun.

That is all.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Kifisonfire posted:

I got one too, if you need it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neo Helbeast posted:

We get ETech relics too.

The moment this drops, I pick up BL2 again for a few days. If E-Tech relics do weird poo poo just like the weapons, I may be playing much longer.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I hope the relics function like mini skills. Like one could give any gun a 20% chance to shoot explosive bullets rather than regular ones (already explosive weapons would have a chance to do more damage) or another one could make them bounce around.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Maybe an e-tech relic that increased elemental effect chance by a large amount (50%+). It would make some elemental-heavy builds a lot more fun.

burntpork fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 29, 2013

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

KidKrampus posted:

I got one too, if you need it.

I literally laughed on the outside as I skimmed new posts to this thread.

Kifisonfire posted:

You can holler at me for one to, if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

The only real standout is the meteor shower which is basically a super bonus package. The other stuff can be good depending on the character build but all in all they're not that great.

• Locked thread