Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

tastethehappy posted:

... until you add in how much they make from civil asset forfeiture.

Last I saw one someone had crunched the numbers and were still coming out behind. That may have included a hypothetical tax on sales though.

RichieWolk posted:

-high potential for abuse
-no currently accepted medical use
-lack of accepted safety under medical supervision

Based on medical uses it should already be disqualified, though the other two points are worth rebutting as well.

Setting aside how you are willing to cite HHS when they agree with you, then dismiss them when they don't, you missed the entire point of what I posted. "Currently accepted medical use" is not the same as "is this being used medically/can it be used medically." Its a fairly stringent set of conditions that are kind of bullshit and self-fulfilling. As long as marijuana is schedule 1 it pretty much cannot be in "accepted medical use."

I'm really not arguing that marijuana should be schedule 1, it pretty obviously shouldn't be for any number of reasons. Its just that freaking out over the government acting like a government and screaming conspiracy is pretty wildly inaccurate.

Also I wrote morphine instead of heroin, that's my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Red_Mage posted:

Also I wrote morphine instead of heroin, that's my bad.

Heroin still has medical uses.

quote:

Heroin assisted treatment, or diamorphine assisted treatment, refers to the prescribing of synthetic, injectable heroin to opiate addicts that do not benefit from or cannot tolerate treatment with one of the established drugs used in opiate replacement therapy like methadone or buprenorphine. For this group of patients, heroin assisted treatment has proven superior in improving their social and health situation, though more serious adverse events were found in the heroin group than the methadone group.[1] It has also been shown to save money, despite its high costs, as it significantly reduces costs incurred by trials, incarceration, health interventions and delinquency.[2]

Heroin assisted treatment is fully a part of the national health system in Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark and the United Kingdom. Additional trials are being carried out in Canada and Belgium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin_assisted_treatment

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Paul MaudDib posted:

Heroin still has medical uses.

Absolutely but it doesn't have currently accepted medical uses in the US (because it is schedule 1, which thus keeps it schedule 1). Basically until the DEA or HHS goes "maybe this other country's use of this should count" or "maybe we were wrong about X" something doesn't have legit medical use. It looks like Marijuana might be headed that way.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Red_Mage posted:

Setting aside how you are willing to cite HHS when they agree with you, then dismiss them when they don't, you missed the entire point of what I posted.

You're making poo poo up again. :rolleyes:

quote:

"Currently accepted medical use" is not the same as "is this being used medically/can it be used medically."

Why the hell not? Why are doctors in parts of the US who advocate for medical marijuana being told that their opinions are irrelevant?

quote:

As long as marijuana is schedule 1 it pretty much cannot be in "accepted medical use."

Again, this was the exact same situation with marinol. Why can't it happen to marijuana?

quote:

Its just that freaking out over the government acting like a government and screaming conspiracy is pretty wildly inaccurate.

No, it's plain to everybody with half a brain that the government has lied about the risks of marijuana use for decades. Ask yourself why they would do that, see if you can find any possible motivations that would cause someone in power to lie about how dangerous something is.

Red_Mage posted:

Basically until the DEA or HHS goes "maybe this other country's use of this should count" or "maybe we were wrong about X" something doesn't have legit medical use. It looks like Marijuana might be headed that way.

They have been presented with an abundance of credible and scientifically verifiable evidence that many drugs are not as bad as their classification suggests. They ignore it every time without giving a reason.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

tastethehappy posted:

... until you add in how much they make from civil asset forfeiture.

...or lobbying from the private prison system. Or the desirability of maintaining a perpetual slave caste of nonviolent felons by gutting urban communities.

EDIT TO ADD:

quote:

They have been presented with an abundance of credible and scientifically verifiable evidence that many drugs are not as bad as their classification suggests. They ignore it every time without giving a reason.
This is also the case with MDMA, which has shown HUGE promise in the treatment of intractable PTSD cases, and psylocibin mushrooms, which have shown amazing success helping terminally ill patients come to grips with their situation. Both, by the way, are unbelievably safe substances to consume. Both are schedule I.

Chitin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 21, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Red_Mage posted:

Absolutely but it doesn't have currently accepted medical uses in the US (because it is schedule 1, which thus keeps it schedule 1). Basically until the DEA or HHS goes "maybe this other country's use of this should count" or "maybe we were wrong about X" something doesn't have legit medical use. It looks like Marijuana might be headed that way.

Yes but what are their guidelines for saying "maybe we were wrong about X" if not some externally defined measure of accepted medical use (however the DEA chooses to interpret it)?

Red_Mage posted:

"Currently accepted medical use" is not the same as "is this being used medically/can it be used medically." Its a fairly stringent set of conditions that are kind of bullshit and self-fulfilling. As long as marijuana is schedule 1 it pretty much cannot be in "accepted medical use."

It's self-fulfilling in practice, but legally the definition of accepted medical use is not based on what schedule the drug is. So yes, it is possible for the DEA/HHS to be wrong about whether there is an accepted medical use of marijuana, even heroin for that matter. Every time they change a drug's schedule or schedule a new drug they're admitting that previously they were wrong (if not about accepted medical uses, about something else).

Red_Mage posted:

I'm really not arguing that marijuana should be schedule 1, it pretty obviously shouldn't be for any number of reasons. Its just that freaking out over the government acting like a government and screaming conspiracy is pretty wildly inaccurate.

Really, wildly innaccurate? After all, you're the one implying that the system is designed so the DEA can ignore the scheduling guidelines.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'd just like to point out that even ethanol has an established medical use as a competitive inhibitor for ethylene glycol (antifreeze) poisoning.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

RichieWolk posted:

No, it's plain to everybody with half a brain that the government has lied about the risks of marijuana use for decades. Ask yourself why they would do that, see if you can find any possible motivations that would cause someone in power to lie about how dangerous something is.

In your first post, you cited a HHS patent for why marijuana had "currently accepted medical use," then when I cite them (b way of the DEA) you blow them off as unreliable when they say that marijuana is extremely addictive. Please pick one.

They could reschedule Marijuana, I've said as much repeatedly. It even looks like they are headed that way, what with them licensing out their patent on active agents, and popular support for medical marijuana well over 70% nationally.

I can tell you why the government would provide shoddy data about the risks of marijuana use with a fairly simple explanation, they didn't want people using marijuana. If you want to ascribe them some other motivation (you said profit was involved), the burden's on you to prove it. The government doesn't need to operate on scientifically verifiable evidence of how bad drugs are, it needs to operate in accordance with the laws passed by representatives of the peopel. Its not proof of a shadowy conspiracy, its proof that the government & public at large doesn't always listen to scientists.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

I'd just like to point out that even ethanol has an established medical use as a competitive inhibitor for ethylene glycol (antifreeze) poisoning.

Hah, so it does. I forgot you treat methanol or ethylene glycol poisoning with ethanol.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't think that would really count as decrim, that would be like giving people licenses for speeding. It doesn't make much sense to train people for something illegal, even if it is a civil offense and not a criminal one.

Hmmm. But if it were like, say, performing surgery: it is illegal for me to remove your spleen, unless I am licensed to do so.

Honestly, I think this is what we de facto have now: if you are clever / wealthy / stable / (white) enough, you can do recreational drugs without getting caught. I think it is what most people are comfortable with, actually, and it is intended, if in an unspoken way.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Red_Mage posted:

In your first post, you cited a HHS patent for why marijuana had "currently accepted medical use," then when I cite them (b way of the DEA) you blow them off as unreliable when they say that marijuana is extremely addictive. Please pick one.

I cited that to highlight the hypocrisy of the government. Please try to keep up.

quote:

They could reschedule Marijuana, I've said as much repeatedly. It even looks like they are headed that way, what with them licensing out their patent on active agents, and popular support for medical marijuana well over 70% nationally.

Yes, they could. But they don't.

quote:

I can tell you why the government would provide shoddy data about the risks of marijuana use with a fairly simple explanation, they didn't want people using marijuana.

At this point, you're not even worth talking at. I can't tell if you're being willfully obtuse or if you're just really that simpleminded.

quote:

If you want to ascribe them some other motivation (you said profit was involved), the burden's on you to prove it. The government doesn't need to operate on scientifically verifiable evidence of how bad drugs are, it needs to operate in accordance with the laws passed by representatives of the peopel. Its not proof of a shadowy conspiracy, its proof that the government & public at large doesn't always listen to scientists.

Really? Have you even been reading this thread? I'm not going to retype poo poo because you're lazy. Go gently caress yourself.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Red_Mage posted:

If you want to ascribe them some other motivation (you said profit was involved), the burden's on you to prove it.

I thought I posted this in this thread, but maybe it was another:

quote:

for the period of October 1, 2000, through September 30, 2011, the DEA and other federal agencies processed over 150,644 seized assets valued at about $9.2 billion of which $5.5 billion (60 percent) originated from seizures processed by the DEA and $3.7 billion (40 percent) originated from seizures processed by other federal agencies.3 http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/2012/a1240.pdf

I also cited a Corrections Corporation of America Annual Report which forecast loss of earnings if drug laws were reformed and a number of other examples like reinvesting asset forfeiture revenue in the construction of new prisons.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 21, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

All Of The Dicks posted:

Hmmm. But if it were like, say, performing surgery: it is illegal for me to remove your spleen, unless I am licensed to do so.

You're describing legalization, not decriminalizatoin. Decrim would be if it were illegal to remove spleens, with a civil penalty such as a fine and/or suspension of medical license.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

KingEup posted:

II also cited a Corrections Corporation of America Annual Report which forecast loss of earnings if drug laws were reformed and a number of other examples like reinvesting asset forfeiture revenue in the construction of new prisons.

Wow that is a hefty sum. The data I was relying on was the breakdown of how much it costs in prisons and courts to arrest, try, and incarcerate just marijuana users. At 9 billion a year, that more than wipes out the income for forfeiture, given that 9 billi is just marijuana. That said the revenue stream is a lot more visible than the expenditure.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Mage posted:

I see the argument that you are trying to make, but the existence of medical uses for a Schedule I drug (regardless of who owns the patent), doesn't invalidate its scheduling. The U.S. Supposedly owns the patent so it can issue licenses for studies and so it can get around schedule I. The reason that cannabis has no "accepted medical use" (which is a different thing than no medical use) has been outlined by the DEA before. Its perverse and almost catch 22ish, but it isn't evidence of some grand moneymaking conspiracy (especially given how much marijuana prosecutions/sentences cost in taxpayer money).

Um, actually, yes, it is a grand moneymaking scheme. THey seize absolutely gigantic amounts of assets and auction them off because they claim they were bought with drug money. They've taken entire hotels from people because a patron was selling drugs from their room one night. They'll take your house, they'll take your car, they'll take everything in your bank account. It IS a grand moneymaking scheme. The DEA also gets a per-plant reward for every pot plant - hemp, marijuana, whatever - they find and destroy. This can include random ditch weeds, plants they find in forests, blah blah. There are a LOT of ways to make money off of the war on drugs.

The DEA is funded by these things, and lots of people make lots of money every year locking up kids who smoked a little pot.

Oh, and another thing you're forgetting: the for-profit prison industry. Do you think they had nothing to do with all this? The war on drugs plus privatized prisons mean we have the highest incarceration rate in the world, and lots of people are getting really rich off of it.

Again, and I do mean to really run this into the ground: yes, actually the war on drugs is one gigantic moneymaking scheme.

And then there's politicians running on anti-drug platforms because it's easy to play on people's ignorance, politicians running on tough-on-crime and longer prison sentences, it just goes on and on, and it all starts with the war on drugs. Of course, minorities magically wind up being the most oppressed, but I think that actually might be just a happy bonus for the assholes in charge.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 21, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Red_Mage posted:

Wow that is a hefty sum. The data I was relying on was the breakdown of how much it costs in prisons and courts to arrest, try, and incarcerate just marijuana users. At 9 billion a year, that more than wipes out the income for forfeiture, given that 9 billi is just marijuana. That said the revenue stream is a lot more visible than the expenditure.

You do realize that the amount of money spent on incarceration is exactly why the drug war continues, right? All that money creating jobs building prisons both public and private, hiring cops and dea agents, all of the associated services and industry that surrounds it from laundry and food service to the all-but-slave labor provided to corporations. It doesn't matter if the government makes money. Who the government gives that money to is what matters. The drug war is an enormous stimulus package that oh-so-unfortunately just happens to require that hundreds of thousands or millions of people be kidnapped and stuffed into cages for long periods of time. The vast amounts of money being spent is a feature not a bug, to coin a phrase.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

SurgicalOntologist posted:

You're describing legalization, not decriminalizatoin. Decrim would be if it were illegal to remove spleens, with a civil penalty such as a fine and/or suspension of medical license.

Well, I'm not really interested in the descriptor. I am merely stating that I believe it does make sense to have a system of recreational drug use licenses.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Sniffer dogs are being desensitised:

Tough job ahead, it's hard to forget that smell...

Also:

KingEup fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 22, 2013

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

^^I am disappointed with the amount of puns in the youtube videos I can find associated with this, but I love the overall message^^

I hate to stall this thread with a practical question, but does anyone know why the Colorado support badge system is frozen? I've googled like crazy and I cannot find a mention of it. I keep getting a voicemail message telling me not to leave a message, but they haven't gotten back to me--is it just frozen until the beginning of each month? There are places in Denver that will hire with just a red card but I'd rather have a key/support badge so I can show that I'm not just some reefer addict who wants to work a grow-op.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 27, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

peengers posted:

He's got a PhD in public policy, meaning that he doesn't understand math.

Have a guess who just won the cannabis consultancy contract in WA?

http://healthland.time.com/2013/03/25/pot-is-legal-in-washington-qa-with-the-man-who-is-making-weed-legit/

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red_Mage posted:

I know nothing about edibles having only done synthetics (which owned, gently caress the haters and the stupid spice act), so my plan is just to use my existing hookah for "you can buy weed in stores day" when (if) it arrives.

Synthetics are awful, even if they can be fun. One of legalization's many benefits will be the elimination of poo poo like "spice."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What's a "birth cohort" and how are 50% of them smoking pot?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
He misstated it, but it means that of a group of people born in the same period (I believe year in this case), half will eventually end up trying pot.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Xandu posted:

He misstated it, but it means that of a group of people born in the same period (I believe year in this case), half will eventually end up trying pot.

Yeah, I assume he didn't just say "half of America has tried pot" because it could be that 75% of Gosh-Darned Kids Today have tried it, but only 25% of Sensible Adults have tried it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
In fairness, the percentage has been above 50% for decades.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1508375/?page=3

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Xandu posted:

In fairness, the percentage has been above 50% for decades.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1508375/?page=3

Wow I can't believe how low the percentage for other hallucinogens is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reason posted:

Wow I can't believe how low the percentage for other hallucinogens is.

They're not exactly widely available (compared to weed et all), plus for (I think) LSD they busted a guy who made something like 85% of all the US supply so the volume went down sharply.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
So I found this story fairly interesting:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...92ecd14490.html

quote:

ST. LOUIS • Two city police officers face discipline, and possible criminal charges, over handling of marijuana seized during a traffic stop last month while two state senators were riding as observers in a camera-equipped patrol car, department officials said Tuesday.

Sens. Jamilah Nasheed, D-St. Louis, and Maria Chappelle-Nadal, D-University City, were with officers in north St. Louis. Chappelle-Nadal was researching a firearms-related bill she is sponsoring. Both told a reporter they did not think the officers did anything wrong.
The incident occurred about 8:23 p.m. Feb. 15 near Page Boulevard and Blackstone Avenue, after the officers stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation. They learned the driver was wanted on several arrest warrants from previous traffic citations.

A female officer can then be seen on video taking a small amount of marijuana from the suspect’s pocket and putting it in her own pocket before she and her partner let him go, Chief Sam Dotson said.

Police officials said they do not know where the marijuana went; the officer never entered it as evidence, Dotson said.

After the officers returned to the car, Nasheed can be heard on the recording accusing the officer of stealing from the man, Dotson said. The officer then explains herself.

“The officer talks about having discretion and that, ‘We’re focused on violence and identifying individuals with guns committing crimes, and this man had a little amount of marijuana and minor warrants and did not have a significant history of violence.’ So she made a value judgment,” Dotson said. “It’s clear that law enforcement officers have to use discretion in their activities and use it daily, but the question is, were the department’s polices and procedures followed?”

Dotson said he has no reason to believe the officer pocketed the pot “for personal use.” The department’s investigation is to determine the disposition of the seized item, he said.

Dotson said the department discovered the incident during routine reviews of patrol car videos. Police will now consult with the circuit attorney’s office to determine whether criminal charges might be warranted. Dotson said the department requires officers to catalog any seized evidence, and the officer could have issued the suspect a summons.

The summons would still require the officer to arrest and book the suspect.

“If this officer had followed our processes and procedures, we wouldn’t be having this conversation,” Dotson said.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
"Sorry officer, we're going issue you a citation for not being a big enough dick. You know better than to attempt to perform your job like a human being."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

"Sorry officer, we're going issue you a citation for not being a big enough dick. You know better than to attempt to perform your job like a human being."

Uh, pocketing an illegal substance and not reporting it is a serious charge.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

If they wanted to do that, they would've taken the confiscated weed and tossed it. That would've scored brownie points with the senators, showing some compassion to a stoner, instead of looking like a badged jerk who thought he could score some free dope. :420:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Warchicken posted:

They've taken entire hotels from people because a patron was selling drugs from their room one night.

Amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGh-7LOzeHw

The government is morally bankrupt.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Happy ending.

quote:

Prosecutors had been tipped off about the motel by a federal agent whose primary job was to identify properties for forfeiture. But prosecutors maintained that this wasn’t about raising money for the government, and was instead about helping local police crack down on the drug trade.

Why does a loving job like this even exist?

quote:

The government is morally bankrupt.

I'm usually not one for hating government/police but jesus christ this a hundred times. If there is really a guy in the FBI whose job is to scout out property to sell, then set the government on fire.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

Mirthless posted:

Why does a loving job like this even exist?
The supposed argument is that targeting proceeds from a drug business makes drug dealing less profitable and discourages people from getting involved in the drug business.

The real reason is, because they can, and asset forfeiture is very lucrative to the government as they don't even need to prove the person guilty to take the property.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

kylejack posted:

The real reason is, because they can, and asset forfeiture is very lucrative to the government as they don't even need to prove the person guilty to take the property.

"Thousands of lawyers, jailers, guards, policemen etc. will lose their jobs, all for what, so you can get high on the drugs?! You really wanna plunge thousands into poverty just so you can light up a fat doober!? No sir, we're gonna take your drug-funded lucre and give it to those hardworking american citizens who keep the country running."

Politics. :saddowns:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

kylejack posted:

The supposed argument is that targeting proceeds from a drug business makes drug dealing less profitable and discourages people from getting involved in the drug business.

Well, someone has to sort through the thousands of dilapidated known crack houses for poo poo they could flip for a profit.

Also, Seattle city counsel has decided that they're too good for the herb.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/03/seattle-looks-to-limit-pot-stores-and-grow-areas/

quote:

Sponsored by council members Sally Clark and Nick Licata, the new rules have three main features. (Licata’s round-up with links to a staff analysis, zoning map, and proposed regulations is here.)

They would prohibit dispensaries, retail stores and large growing operations in much of Seattle, including residential zones, areas of historic character, and small retail areas surrounded by residences (Neighborhood Commercial 1 zones). The historic areas include Pioneer Square, the International District and Pike Place Market. (See a map here of proposed restrictions; the areas in white would allow dispensaries.)

They would limit growing in those prohibited areas to a maximum of 45 plants, to be consistent with what’s allowed by medical marijuana laws, and to reduce public safety issues that may accompany larger operations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

Dr. Gene Tinelli and Dr. Liz Berry are old friends who describe each other with mutual respect. They’ve spent years, in separate practices, helping patients with addictions.

“We both believe in harm reduction,” said Tinelli, a Syracuse psychiatrist, although he and Berry disagree when it comes to a hotly debated way of getting there:

Tinelli maintains that marijuana should be legal for adult use in New York State. Berry, with equal passion, says it would be a major mistake.

The issue is rumbling toward New York. Colorado and Washington have already approved measures that allow for recreational use of marijuana. As The Post-Standard’s Teri Weaver reported Tuesday, a related question is before our state Legislature in Albany, where state Sen. Diane Savino, D-Staten Island, and Assemblyman Richard Gottfried, D-Manhattan, have proposed legalizing medical marijuana.

The idea stands little chance of getting past Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who has consistently opposed it. Tinelli and Berry, a clinical psychologist, both support the notion of medical marijuana; they find no problem with allowing seriously ill patients to have access.

Where they fiercely diverge is on the question of whether state-regulated marijuana should be freely available for adults.

Tinelli sees nothing but benefits in such a decision. He is generally in favor of legalizing outlawed drugs, while imposing escalating levels of regulation based on potential harm. But the American prohibition on marijuana, he argues, is especially pointless.

Legalize marijuana, he said, and it would dry up much of the cash and violence triggered by illegal street corner deals. He said studies show access to pot could actually decrease the use of such problem drugs as alcohol. Legalize it, he said, and you’re keeping more young people from having their lives disrupted, if not ruined, by arrests at an especially fragile time in their lives.

“Common sense and research tell us it’s not a dangerous drug, and legalizing it could lower the rates of truly dangerous things, such as suicide and alcoholism,” said Tinelli, who said we all know adults who smoked pot heavily as youngsters, and now lead successful lives. He said there are benefits to marijuana - such as “dissolving anger and aggression” - that could make it helpful in psychiatry.

Berry, for her part, said decades in the field have brought her to what she describes as an overwhelming conclusion: Extensive use of marijuana can be destructive and live-changing for teenagers. Teenage use, she said, can cause long-term damage in a delicate time of “cerebral brain growth.”

Years ago, Berry did pre-kindergarten testing for aptitude in Onondaga County. She said young children who tested as having higher-than-average intelligence sometimes cross her path, as adults, in her work today. What she finds, she said, is that men and women who were frequent adolescent users of marijuana often suffer from a permanent loss of aptitude, an observation she said is reinforced by new studies.

In the morning, when Berry walks her dogs in Elmwood Park, she regularly sees groups of teens passing marijuana "blunts" before going to high school classes. Ask educators at any area high school, she said, and they’ll speak to the helplessness of trying to work with teens who show up “high.”

“If you could absolutely guarantee to me that only adults of legal age would have access, then I could support legalization,” she said. But she said adolescent use would explode if marijuana is legalized, a contention that Tinelli said is not borne out by studies. Berry does not favor jail time or punishment as a consequence, but she said every teen picked up for marijuana ought to be sent into treatment. http://www.syracuse.com/kirst/index.ssf/2013/03/post_458.html

I have bolded some text here because it is a typical example of prohibitionist irrationality.

I can't help wonder whether it is actually Berry who has suffered from retarded cerebral development and not the pot smokers she lampoons.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 29, 2013

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Boston.com had a story about the guys behind this website: http://mmjbusinessdaily.com/

Pretty informative sight. Kind of opened my eyes to the full business ramifications of medical/legal marijuana. It's not just the marijuana sales, but lots of other industries like packaging, testing, marketing, distribution, etc. Colorado is talking about vending machines, for example.

Exciting times!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Before anyone submits any argument of any kind against marijuana, they should have to explain why it doesn't apply to alcohol as well because gently caress me I am tired of bringing out that argument. But it applies to every single point ever raised ever about marijuana prohibition. More adolescents would smoke? Well, do more adolescents drink?

It's so very easy to get weed right now. Dealers don't check ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Warchicken posted:

It's so very easy to get weed right now. Dealers don't check ID.

In places with medical/legal marijuana it is harder for minors to buy a pipe than it is to get the actual drugs because the headshop owners will card you. You'd have to bribe someone to buy a glass pipe for you to use the drugs you had no problems obtaining. But nobody's gonna do that once they realize there's a perfectly good pvc pipe sitting in their dad's garage that they could smoke out of! :downsgun:

The war on drugs is amazing.

• Locked thread