Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

I think most major brands are pushing as hard as they can to move up market in anticipation of chinese cars being sold in north america. I really can't see it working out for everybody.

Is it really "moving upmarket" if the prices stay the same and the target market is the same, though? That sounds more like just "getting better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gvibes posted:

To people who follows the new cars:
1) Is the the new WRX going to be a 2014 model?
2) Will there be a hatchback?

I think the answers are 1) yes and 2) don't know, but it's hard to follow these things.

The answers are 1) absolutley not, and 2) absolutely.

What we've seen is just a concept, the real thing is at least a year out. 2014 cars are already on the lot for some models. The new wrx will probably a 2015 model toned down a bit. The 5 door was somewhat previewed with the advanced tourer concept last year.

Cream_Filling posted:

Is it really "moving upmarket" if the prices stay the same and the target market is the same, though? That sounds more like just "getting better."

The average new car sale price jumped over $30k for the first time last year. Prices aren't really staying the same, a lot of models have the same "starts at!" price adjusted for inflation, but one trim level up from the basic car puts you into some serious money.

Look at the mustang. "starts at" $22k, but you can't add any options to the base model package. you have to choose the next level up before you can choose anything other than the transmission. Same with the f-150, "starts at" 20 grand, but tick the supercab box, that's $11,800 more. 4x4? $10,600 more.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 28, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

The average new car sale price jumped over $30k for the first time last year. Prices aren't really staying the same, a lot of models have the same "starts at!" price adjusted for inflation, but one trim level up from the basic car puts you into some serious money.

Yeah, but we also have record low incentives due to better inventory/production management.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/21/business/21auto.html?_r=0
I don't have the actual numbers, but according to this article, which when written reported an average price of around $29,602 or so, "[t]hough the average price remains below historic highs when adjusted for inflation, nominally it has never been so high, according to the auto-research site TrueCar.com", a site which I believe usually goes back to 2002 for its numbers.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

kill me now posted:

Hyundai kind of went one way with trying to push their brand more up market by suddenly make a bunch of expensive up market vehicles and dumping them on the market all in the same time frame.

Kia is going with the other option which has been to slowly expand in that direction by slowly increasing what they offer in their cars. They first came out with the current optima, then added the SXL to bump the price up to around $35.5, Now they spice that car up again and release the Cadenza which pushes them up to that mid $40k price range. At the same time the Sorento received an SXL model that fully optioned hits about $42k. Next year they're looking at bringing out the K9 (US market name TBD) which will push the high end of their price point up yet again. Its been a steady process for them and judging by the number of SXL optimas and SX/SXL sorentos that have been rolling off lots recently I would say its working well so far.

I also think one of the issues with the Genesis sedan and Equus is that they're not as attractive as some of their competitors and that they looks like a bit of a knockoff merc/lexus respectively.

Hyundai and Kia essentially are the SK domestic market and their customer base is growing increasingly affluent. That's what's driving their moves upscale. It's good that it's helping in US markets.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Speaking of hyundai, the next genesis could look pretty cool. This is the "HND-9 concept", but their intentions are pretty clear.

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000

gvibes posted:

To people who follows the new cars:
1) Is the the new WRX going to be a 2014 model?
2) Will there be a hatchback?

I think the answers are 1) yes and 2) don't know, but it's hard to follow these things.

If all they're showing is a design concept in spring, I don't think there will be a finished chassis by spring next year (the latest you could launch a 2014 model). so 1) no 2) absolutely yes

I wonder if they'll retrofit the current GR based models with turbo FAs from the japanese legacy/US forester for 2014 though, ie, pull a mazda.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DropShadow posted:

Psst ... it's a concept.

I don't get why really aggressive and sporty looking sheetmetal necessarily means expensive. The FR-S is a good example of a car that looks way more expensive than it is. Of course, you still have the interior letting the overall cost feel down, but nothing from that concept nails down a price for me.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It doesn't need gasoline. It's powered by insects it traps from the air

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

Speaking of hyundai, the next genesis could look pretty cool. This is the "HND-9 concept", but their intentions are pretty clear.

There's a lot of the new Focus in that grill.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a lot of ford everything.

Doesn't mean it won't make a good lookin genesis coupe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

That's the newest Mustang concept rendering, yes? I know it pisses off a lot of Mustang traditionalists, but I think it looks loving awesome and if it comes out looking like that, I will probably buy one if I'm in a financial position to do so.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Getting a TT feel off that rear glass from that Mustang concept render. I think they'll stick with a traditional notchback coupe for that part, at least.

The XV CrossTrek got unveiled in NY and Subaru are going to sell a poo poo load of them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

The Hyundai concept looks way better than the Mustang one and I like the Mustang one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PT6A posted:

That's the newest Mustang concept rendering, yes? I know it pisses off a lot of Mustang traditionalists, but I think it looks loving awesome and if it comes out looking like that, I will probably buy one if I'm in a financial position to do so.

That's a Mustang? Holy poo poo I loving love it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's actually the ford EVOS concept, but it should be a pretty good idea of what the mustang will look like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love looking at Korean cars and trying to figure out what their "influences" are.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The XV CrossTrek got unveiled in NY and Subaru are going to sell a poo poo load of them.

They haven't released much technical info, but it seems like a very "mild" system. Nothing special, though the city MPG should increase a few ticks, which is good. I'm waiting for them to release more detailed info.

Endless Mike posted:

I love looking at Korean cars and trying to figure out what their "influences" are.

Everything looks like something.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I think the WRX Concept might be closer to the upcoming car than the "concept" title leads on. Put on some less extreme wheels/rubber, normal headlights/mirrors/door handles and I could definitely see it being a production car.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
Pricing was revealed for the Delphi Connected Car module.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/devices/vehicle-diagnostics.html

$249, with a $5 a month charge after 2 years. Which seems like a fair enough price for what seems like a very useful tool. The only problem is that as far as I can tell, you have to have a Verizon data plan to use it, which makes it kind of expensive for anyone who is not on Verizon already. The cheapest data plan I can find is the $30, plus a $5 Monthly Line Access charge, which sets the price at $35 a month if you don't have a Verizon data plan.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

I think the WRX Concept might be closer to the upcoming car than the "concept" title leads on. Put on some less extreme wheels/rubber, normal headlights/mirrors/door handles and I could definitely see it being a production car.

Those are 20 inch wheels on it and there is still rubber. I don't think they would produce a WRX that could handle 22s from the factory. It's an idea, but i think it will be toned down. the wheel wells will shrink , the side skirts will shrink, the flare will get less agressive.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

Those are 20 inch wheels on it and there is still rubber. I don't think they would produce a WRX that could handle 22s from the factory. It's an idea, but i think it will be toned down. the wheel wells will shrink , the side skirts will shrink, the flare will get less agressive.

One of my favorite things about the WRX was that it could wear 17" wheels without looking cheap/goofy. There's little tangible benefit to having 20" wheels from the factory unless you have massive brakes, but there are so many drawbacks. So I hope they do tone down that aspect of it a bit.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

I'm really hoping the body looks like the concept though. I especially like what's going on with the greenhouse and rear/flares. It's got a lot of show car gimmicks but the basic shape looks plausible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

SouthLAnd posted:

Apparently the WRX in it's production form will be unveiled in Tokoyo in October. So if that's true then the concept is almost certainly a lot closer to what the production will be than most would believe.

And seriously, people thinking this'll have a CVT? Are you loving mad? The WRX crowd dont want a DSG, let alone a piece of poo poo like a CVT. Get wishes of no clutch and gently caress off to some other car.

(It's getting a 6 speed manual and likely to be the only option.... it's not like auto WRXs have ever sold in any kind of numbers, WRX buyers have long shown they want three pedals or GTFO)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Apparently the WRX in it's production form will be unveiled in Tokoyo in October. So if that's true then the concept is almost certainly a lot closer to what the production will be than most would believe.

And seriously, people thinking this'll have a CVT? Are you loving mad? The WRX crowd dont want a DSG, let alone a piece of poo poo like a CVT. Get wishes of no clutch and gently caress off to some other car.

(It's getting a 6 speed manual and likely to be the only option.... it's not like auto WRXs have ever sold in any kind of numbers, WRX buyers have long shown they want three pedals or GTFO)

CVT-only is coming. It's just a matter of time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm pretty sure the auto has always been a strong seller (perhaps even the volume seller) in Japan.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Faerunner posted:

CVT-only is coming. It's just a matter of time.

In a WRX? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No. The core buying group will abandon it. CVT is poo poo at the best of times as well

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

I'm pretty sure the auto has always been a strong seller (perhaps even the volume seller) in Japan.

It's just an informal observation but the Japanese seem to like autos as much as the U.S.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I feel like the back of the WRX Concept is kinda weird, like they have designed it as a wagon first (which is totally fine by me)

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

CharlesM posted:

Everything looks like something.

Especially when they're blatant ripoffs.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cat Terrist posted:

No. The core buying group will abandon it. CVT is poo poo at the best of times as well

I personally don't see the manual leaving the WRX anytime soon, but I can't see it remaining manual-only for the next generation. That just leaves far too many potential sales on the table. Subaru could get away with that when the WRX was just a special Impreza, but if they are going to create a new platform for it, they are certainly going to want to maximize its sales.

Subaru already has a CVT that can handle the power, which is why I think they will go that direction.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

The core buying group will abandon it, and a whole new group will start buying it because it looks sporty but isn't such a pain to live with, and it will sell better than ever.

Case in point: 240/60/80Z vs. 280ZX.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Perhaps with the new platform Subaru will bring a dual-clutch transmission the WRX?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Does anyone else see an Eclipse in that Ford concept?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

anonumos posted:

Does anyone else see a ford puma concept in that eclipse?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Endless Mike posted:

IIRC Kia's current head of design previously worked at Audi.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Didn't they just straight up replace the auto WRX with the Impreza GT?

anonumos posted:

I see more of an Audi TTS, honestly.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 29, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

The core buying group will abandon it, and a whole new group will start buying it because it looks sporty but isn't such a pain to live with, and it will sell better than ever.

Case in point: 240/60/80Z vs. 280ZX.

And then after you abandon the people who bought the car religiously model after model, the not so invested float to the next sexy car and Subaru wonders why their sales are declining.... which is exactly what happens time and time again.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cat Terrist posted:

And then after you abandon the people who bought the car religiously model after model, the not so invested float to the next sexy car and Subaru wonders why their sales are declining.... which is exactly what happens time and time again.

Mitsubishi once had a rabid enthusiast following.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cat Terrist posted:

Dunno what the situation is like in Aus, but SoA have seen steadily increasing sales for a while now. Same globally, I think. I think like almost half their sales are in the US market now, so, combined with their association with Toyota, naturally their cars are going to get bigger, dumber, and more Americanized. So blame America, really.

This also ignores the fact that much of their appeal was the fact that their cars were quirky and not totally Americanized, and that every step they take in watering that down just makes it that much harder to compete with automakers like Toyota that can do generic soo much cheaper due to their drastically higher volumes.

That said, the latest Legacy and Outback are fat, lame, and ugly. Give us a proper wagon again, you humps. Oh, and a proper Legacy GT. And then give us the same deal that the BRZ had as a cut-rate Cayman and make a cut-rate Panamera that doesn't look like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
As long as you can get a 6MT who gives a poo poo if you can also get it with some form of auto?