Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Don't sweat it too much, like I said before, that's kind of the nature of temp work. And you got some feedback other than "we just don't need him any more", so you have something to work on, if you are so inclined.

Did the job placement agency run you through any proficiency tests (office software, data entry, anything like that)? If not, see if they offer that kind of thing, because getting high scores on that will make them that much more likely to put you forward for that sort of job. (Which I suspect will be more your thing, even though you, rightly, are willing to take pretty much anything at the moment).

Also, don't forget to check in with other agencies, and other branch locations of your agency if it has them. Do this at least twice a week. They will totally forget you exist if you don't keep reminding them.

quote:

Now more than ever, I realize that it's now a matter of not if but when

This is exactly the right attitude to have. Don't give up. Even if nothing's panned out yet, you're getting interviews and placements and such, and that's all really encouraging stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
I've going to wait until Monday

Once again, English major.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

something clever posted:

That's not very clever. If you're typing and submitting things on a forum without proofreading, you're going to make mistakes from typos or muscle memory. I'm sure he knows the difference between "I'm" and "I've" and there's plenty of explanations as to how he could type one rather than the other by accident rather than lack of knowledge. I make mistakes like that all the time ranging from using incorrect conjugations to tenses to even just random homonyms but 99% of the time it has to do with muscle memory regarding typing and not because I don't know the correct word/spelling to use. If someone is loving up every other word like some sort of yahoo questions post then yeah it's clearly a consistent thing that you might legitimately criticize them for, but if you're literally hunting for mistakes every few posts just to prove a point you're the one being an unreasonable rear end in a top hat and it likely has nothing to do with their grasp of the English language. These are forums posts not a paper you're submitting to your class/for publishing, people aren't going to proofread them and they're going to make simple mistakes by accident.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

something clever posted:

Now you're being pedantic :colbert:

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Benny the Snake posted:

Now you're being pedantic :colbert:

You forgot the period at the end of that sentence... English major. :twisted:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So a warehouse job was extremely 'fast pace' for you. What kind of job would you qualify for that is: slow, not physical, english-only, and pays to your liking?

Your pretty sad if you think moving to FedEx will be less stressful than packing some trinkets in a box.

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

blame it on the falling sky
Why are you only applying to jobs that completely ignore the fact that you have higher education? It's great that you're applying to anything and everything, but by only applying to retail and fast food you're not only competing against a lot of people but you're running the risk of being considered "overqualified". Warehouses are fast paced, FedEx and UPS aren't any easier... to be honest, could you handle working on a fast food line or in a kitchen during a meal time rush?
At what point will you decide that a position probably more suited to your skills, probably in an office, will be worth a bit of a commute on public transportation until you get enough savings for a car (or to move out of your family home)? I really think you're cheating yourself out of good opportunities by being inflexible.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

lucifer chikken posted:

At what point will you decide that a position probably more suited to your skills, probably in an office, will be worth a bit of a commute on public transportation until you get enough savings for a car (or to move out of your family home)? I really think you're cheating yourself out of good opportunities by being inflexible.
I think it has to do with proximity, it's not like OP can take a cab to work everyday and if the job isn't offering moving expenses (and I find that doubtful for an English degree with no work experience) he's pretty much limited to applying to things in close proximity until he can independently afford a move. Realistically that shouldn't take too long if he can get a consistent temp job and just save that money for a couple months without having too much leached by family/blowing it all on frivolous expenses, but who knows in this economy.

This thread is a pretty good example of how people who already have a job and a stable life really have a hard time understanding how you get out of a post college slump. I have several bright friends all stuck at home with no real prospect of getting out because all the jobs they want they have to compete with people recently laid off who have far more experience. A couple years can really make that big of a difference.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 29, 2013

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

No, I think we know nobody's going to pay this kid to relocate for a good few years. I'm not proposing he takes a cab every day, I'm proposing he looks a little harder into public transport to see if he can open up his search area juuust a little bit to find an opportunity that's more suited to him. To me, it seems like another excuse-- the right job could be worth the time spent on the bus, or worth having to transfer a bus or two, because it won't be stressing out in a warehouse or worrying about being a slow chicken cutter or getting yelled at by customers at McDonalds. If a temp agency offers him a spot that's outside of the 15 minutes of his house, will he pass it up?

Babylon the Bright
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ArbitraryC posted:

I think it has to do with proximity, it's not like OP can take a cab to work everyday and if the job isn't offering moving expenses (and I find that doubtful for an English degree with no work experience) he's pretty much limited to applying to things in close proximity until he can independently afford a move. Realistically that shouldn't take too long if he can get a consistent temp job and just save that money for a couple months without having too much leached by family/blowing it all on frivolous expenses, but who knows in this economy.

I think he really needs to be willing to move to his nearest major metro area. There's no reason he can't move at a moments notice for the right job, and you can do it for much less than you'd think. I mean, every city is full of marginally employed people with nothing to their name who manage to eke out an existence. Where ever he manages to land a job, there are probably fleabag hotels that he can stay at for like 150/wk. We know he can come up with that kind of money since he just loaned his brother 300. Two months pulling down two grand a month and he can probably save enough to sublet a room in a two bedroom apartment and buy basic furniture. Sometimes you just have to go for it.

You should also consider camp staff positions. I just interviewed for a camp yesterday, the company runs 43 camps in the region and needs to hire like 800 people by June. You should have no problem at least landing an interview if you can come up with any experience, paid or not, related to kids, camping or the like. If you get lucky, you can get a residential position where you'll get free room and board and a paycheck. There's nothing to spend your money on, so by the end of the summer, you'll have first, last and deposit saved!

Edit: I meant find a job in the city first, then move. Don't move until you have some income going.

Babylon the Bright fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 29, 2013

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

That's not very clever. If you're typing and submitting things on a forum without proofreading, you're going to make mistakes from typos or muscle memory. I'm sure he knows the difference between "I'm" and "I've" and there's plenty of explanations as to how he could type one rather than the other by accident rather than lack of knowledge. I make mistakes like that all the time ranging from using incorrect conjugations to tenses to even just random homonyms but 99% of the time it has to do with muscle memory regarding typing and not because I don't know the correct word/spelling to use. If someone is loving up every other word like some sort of yahoo questions post then yeah it's clearly a consistent thing that you might legitimately criticize them for, but if you're literally hunting for mistakes every few posts just to prove a point you're the one being an unreasonable rear end in a top hat and it likely has nothing to do with their grasp of the English language. These are forums posts not a paper you're submitting to your class/for publishing, people aren't going to proofread them and they're going to make simple mistakes by accident.

I know. I'm not picking out specific posts. These were just the last two that he wrote. I have lurked and posted on these forums for a decade and this guy's (kid's) posts have stricken a chord with me. The entitlement and all around laziness of this guy is astounding. It was pedantic of me to harp on grammar, but for an ENGLISH MAJOR who is making GBS threads on other jobs in hope to be a writer, he appears clueless.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

lucifer chikken posted:

Why are you only applying to jobs that completely ignore the fact that you have higher education? It's great that you're applying to anything and everything, but by only applying to retail and fast food you're not only competing against a lot of people but you're running the risk of being considered "overqualified". Warehouses are fast paced, FedEx and UPS aren't any easier... to be honest, could you handle working on a fast food line or in a kitchen during a meal time rush?

There's like 10 pages of people telling him to lower his expectations and just take any job he can get.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr_Amazing posted:

There's like 10 pages of people telling him to lower his expectations and just take any job he can get.

And theres dudes like lucifer who think 0 work experience and a non technical BA make you above that sort of work. Very few people are "above" working in a warehouse.

He has no idea of what overqualified actually means.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ClemenSalad posted:

And theres dudes like lucifer who think 0 work experience and a non technical BA make you above that sort of work. Very few people are "above" working in a warehouse.

Being overqualified means places are hesitant to hire you because they don't want to put money and time into training you only to have you immediately leave when you get a better job. Realistically, any job that doesn't require a college education is going to look at someone with a degree as potentially overqualified.

It's not like working in warehouses or McDonald's for x years is going to give him any more work experience to be a journalist or whatever, eventually if he applies to enough entry level positions that require an English degree he's going to get a job that's going to be a better career move than any type of work he could do that wouldn't require a degree. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if working non applicable jobs for too long would be a black mark on his resume, why would an employer want someone who no relevant work experience who's had several years to forget what they learned in college when they can just pick up someone else with no relevant work experience who just freshly graduated?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

Being overqualified means places are hesitant to hire you because they don't want to put money and time into training you only to have you immediately leave when you get a better job. Realistically, any job that doesn't require a college education is going to look at someone with a degree as potentially overqualified.

It's not like working in warehouses or McDonald's for x years is going to give him any more work experience to be a journalist or whatever, eventually if he applies to enough entry level positions that require an English degree he's going to get a job that's going to be a better career move than any type of work he could do that wouldn't require a degree. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if working non applicable jobs for too long wouldn't be a black mark on his resume, why would an employer want someone who no relevant work experience who's had several years to forget what they learned in college when they can just pick up someone else with no relevant work experience who just freshly graduated?

With how easy it is to get into college and graduate the "hes gonna leave us in a month because he has a fancy degree" is less relevant, especially for industries with traditionally high turnaround rate anyway. The argument doesn't make any sense, why would McDonalds give a gently caress if he might leave? They hire high schoolers who are all gonna leave anyway. They aren't looking for permanence.

Being 24 with no work experience is a much blacker mark to any company. It implies he either can't or won't work with others or work well. Theres no reason he can't work these jobs while applying to other things he feels are more "relevant." He's had 8 years to establish himself with work experience, he chose not to do that and now he has to work through that.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 29, 2013

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ClemenSalad posted:

Being 24 with no work experience is a much blacker mark. Theres no reason he can't work these jobs while applying to other things he feels are more "relevant".
Fair enough, I would say it's not always that simple in real life but then again I've been consistently employed since I was 15 so it's hard not to wonder a bit what the OP was doing with his free time to get stuck in this position in the first place.

I will say that something like 50% of recent college graduates are unemployed or underemployed so at best the tough it up and try harder advice can only work for 1 in 2 people you talk to. You can't have winners without losers.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Your supervisors only spoke Spanish. In one shift you have bombed out of a job typically held by persons fresh across the border. You are an able bodied young male with an education and you were let go to make room for an immigrant with no/low skills and less education.

You are an adult now, you don't have to try harder, it does not affect me. One day your parents will be gone and it will be up to you to support yourself. As of now your employment value is just below that of an immigrant. From Mexico.

I'm certain you can do better than that if you want to.

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

ClemenSalad posted:

I get it. Fresh out of college, I worked my rear end off cleaning up gross towels in hotel housekeeping just so I could keep myself in PB&J and a lovely apartment with probably a worse degree. And then got out of that and took a couple of busses each way to a big girl job, because that's what you do.

I guess what I was trying to say this:

ArbitraryC posted:

It's not like working in warehouses or McDonald's for x years is going to give him any more work experience to be a journalist or whatever, eventually if he applies to enough entry level positions that require an English degree he's going to get a job that's going to be a better career move than any type of work he could do that wouldn't require a degree. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if working non applicable jobs for too long would be a black mark on his resume, why would an employer want someone who no relevant work experience who's had several years to forget what they learned in college when they can just pick up someone else with no relevant work experience who just freshly graduated?

But you totally have a point, ClemenSalad. You're right. I guess I'm just still taking issue with him pooh-poohing applying to a job in insurance over McDonalds. I mean, a set schedule with decent guaranteed hours, good pay, benefits, who'd want that? But I didn't really take into account that he hasn't worked really at ALL since he was of age and at this point with no skills and no prior experience he has to take what he can get. The caveat being once he has a job, whatever job, he can't be too lazy or too comfortable and "forget" to keep looking for new jobs.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why does E/N always have the "over qualified" discussion. There's no such thing as "over qualified" there's only what you decide to disclose on your resume and in an interview. You don't have to tell them you're a college grad. You don't have to tell them you've been working in software development for the past 6 years. Just shut the gently caress up and act like an ignorant jerkoff who isn't going anywhere, any time soon. (But not too ignorant for hire)

OP, do you have any sort of credit history?

Goons, is it possible to take out a small loan, in order to re-locate and start working?

Example: I'm completely broke, have no credit, live somewhere on the east coast and was just given an offer from a company out in Oregon. I need about 5000 some-odd dollars for first/last/security, food, transportation, clothing, furniture, etc. considering I won't be receiving a paycheck till a month after employment begins. While you might not wanna loan to someone with no credit history, I can provide proof of employment.

Is this just a situation that requires a regular old loan? Would the only option be to rack up debt on a credit card with a sizable spending limit?

What are some financial options for someone like the OP, who is attempting to potentially re-locate.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 29, 2013

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

waste of internet posted:

Why does E/N always have the "over qualified" discussion. There's no such thing as "over qualified" there's only what you decide to disclose on your resume and in an interview. You don't have to tell them you're a college grad. You don't have to tell them you've been working in software development for the past 6 years. Just shut the gently caress up and act like an ignorant jerkoff who isn't going anywhere, any time soon. (But not too ignorant for hire)

The problem with not disclosing the college degree is it leaves a four-year blank spot in your resume. Having a massive black hole in your resume can be worse than being overqualified.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
OP, has it ever even occurred to you that you should present yourself to the best of your ability, at all times? Even in this thread! Ok, sure, I'm a total hypocrite who gets probated for posting garbage on a fairly regular basis, but I'm also employed and could care less. My office is looking for an office bitch to answer the phones, organize CRM data, and basically do menial computer tasks.

This isn't meant to discourage you or be like "Ha ha! I have a job! Let's see you jump for it!" *dangle dangle*

The deal is, we need someone who can find things that need doing and do them. This is the case for so many companies. Nobody has the time, money or resources for someone who requires hand-holding. You've had your hand held through the entire thread. It hasn't even dawned on you to get in touch with alumni services.

I know the whole "self starter" thing is an overused cliche, but it certainly holds true to an attractive candidate. You've proven here, that you're not a self-starter. If your posts were more organized and actually contained information about who you've contacted, when you've contacted them, what networking steps you've taken, etc. and didn't require poking and prodding from the E/N community, in order to get information, from you, I'd PM you the link in a heartbeat.

You should be telling us what's going on. And not just through a lovely, once sentence post, like "DURR, today I did a thing! Feelin productive!" We shouldn't have to keep asking you if you've contacted your college career office, alumni outreach program, temp agencies, headhunters, etc. And then your response is a 1 liner with the bare minimum. That's loving bullshit, man, cut the poo poo. THINK and loving CARE! Don't just take everything for face value and return an auto-fire response. Jesus loving Christ, you're an English major who doesn't even right-click the red-underlined text! You couldn't even figure out why they wanted you to come into the warehouse, the other day! It didn't even dawn on you to ask!

It's clear you're not a thinker, a do-er, or a helper. You'd be the employee who just hangs around, till the manager spits off orders, then go about them in the most half-rear end way possible.

Stop being a goddamn, stupid, lovely robot and THINK! Think, you loving moron!

"Is there any more information I might need?"
"What more can I do?"
"How can I increase my worth?"
"What can I do to please those who could potentially influence my financial gains?"

START HERE! IN THIS THREAD!

"What more can I post that will give this thread more information, which could help me, in return."
"How can I help them help me?"
"Where's that sweet spot between giving people more than what they ask for and too much information?"

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The problem with not disclosing the college degree is it leaves a four-year blank spot in your resume. Having a massive black hole in your resume can be worse than being overqualified.

Is this the OP's case? Is this even a frequent thing? Can people seriously go all 4 years in college without having a job, internship, volunteer situation, leadership experience, work-study etc? I've had 3 different jobs, throughout my college experience.

The simple solution would be to not let this happen!

I could see how that would happen with someone taking summer courses, but really, you've gotta be crazy to do "just school" and nothing else for all 4 years.

So yea, OP has no prior experience, summer employment, etc, does he? Pretty sure I haven't seen any of that mentioned.

The more I read E/N "help me get employed" threads, the more I start to doubt the economic hardships. Every drat time, it's like the stars have aligned to make the OP the most unemployable person in the United States. You seriously have to go above and beyond.

It's like Economy Bingo and every E/N OP could fill in the entire board. The OP could just use his free chip for the "no internship" slot and shout out "BINGO!"

-Don't bother with internships, volunteering or extra-curricular groups, activities or organizations.
-Don't work during school vacation, including summer vacation.
-No car, money, or independence.
-Lives at home and is unable to re-locate.
-No access to public transit.
-Not near any metropolitan areas.
-Useless degree
-Hasn't exhausted every/all resources.
-Doesn't treat job search like a full time job.

You could seriously find a job with most of these things working against you. It takes a truly special E/N thread to bring out the fact that people exist who literally have all of these things working against them.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 29, 2013

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Is this the OP's case? Is this even a frequent thing? Can people seriously go all 4 years in college without having a job, internship, volunteer situation, leadership experience, work-study etc? I've had 3 different jobs, throughout my college experience.

I could see how that would happen with someone taking summer courses, but really, you've gotta be crazy to do "just school" and nothing else for all 4 years.

So yea, OP has no prior experience, summer employment, etc, does he? Pretty sure I haven't seen any of that mentioned.

Even if he does, putting internships or work study on your resume makes it fairly clear you attended college. Having full-time employment only for three months during the summer does that too.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

This may surprise you but that's actually the vast majority of students in my experience. I did undergraduate research my entire time in college but most of my peers did gently caress all with their free time other than maybe an internship their last summer before graduating, and this was in engineering. Most of them got a job either before they graduated or within a year of graduation though, so it doesn't seem to be as big a deal as I would have thought it was.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Even if he does, putting internships or work study on your resume makes it fairly clear you attended college. Having full-time employment only for three months during the summer does that too.

This is the shittiest excuse I've seen, yet. LIE! Extend the dates a bit, gently caress around with roles, responsibilities, job requirements for past positions. Tailor it to the job your applying for. Stop handing in the same resume for everything.

Nobody smart enough is gonna call your bluff. Even if they call you out on having been to college, big deal! What are the chances they'll write in red pen "Applicant attended and graduated college." What are the chances that both the person conducting the interview and the hiring manager will both scoff at the fancy-pants college grad, should that info somehow slip through the cracks? (Somehow in italics, because of the unlikelihood of it actually happening.)

I refuse to believe that the shift leader at Mick-Ds is trained/smart enough, to determine who has and hasn't graduated college.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 29, 2013

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Why are you defending this nonsense and posting bullshit excuses? LIE! Extend the dates a bit, gently caress around with roles, responsibilities, job requirements for past positions. Tailor it to the job your applying for. Stop handing in the same resume for everything.

Nobody smart enough is gonna call your bluff. Even if they call you out on having been to college, big deal! What are the chances they'll write in red pen "Applicant attended and graduated college." What are the chances that both the person conducting the interview and the hiring manager will both scoff at the fancy-pants college grad, should that info somehow slip through the cracks? (Somehow in italics, because of the unlikelihood of it actually happening.)

I refuse to believe that the shift leader at Mick-Ds is trained to determine who has and hasn't graduated college.

Ok, so your real recommendation is to submit a false resume. I suppose that's a possible solution. Not one I'd feel comfortable with, but whatever.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

I refuse to believe that the shift leader at Mick-Ds is trained/smart enough, to determine who has and hasn't graduated college.

I bet it's pretty easy. "Oh look! An entitled, entirely unaware 22-year-old without a job history or any marketable skills."

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Uh, yeah, that's not uncommon, especially for people with overbearing/controlling parents, or people whose parents are just normal folks who make decent money. I know plenty of people who not only went to college on their parent's dime, but had their parents give them money every month because "Well it would just be too stressful for him to work AND go to school!"

In fact, my college boyfriend was like that. His parents paid for his entire schooling, paid all of his rent and utilities, AND deposited $600 into his bank account every other week.

Now for those of us who didn't have that luxury (I got loans, had jobs, paid my own rent and bought all of my own poo poo, etc) it seems really alien. But it does happen, a lot more often than you'd think. And it really doesn't prepare people for the real world in a couple of ways. 1.) They graduate with absolutely no job experience and 2.) they have no idea how to manage money.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ok, so your real recommendation is to submit a false resume. I suppose that's a possible solution. Not one I'd feel comfortable with, but whatever.

Oh, come on! You know the OP hasn't been keeping a record of employment. People ballpark resume dates and embellish roles/responsibilities, all the time.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Oh, come on! You know the OP hasn't been keeping a record of employment. People ballpark resume dates and embellish roles/responsibilities, all the time.

It would take more than "embellishing" to turn summer employment and internships into something that wouldn't make it obvious he had attended college over the last four years.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
The argument that McD's won't hire a college grad because hes overqualified is nonsensical anyway so the discussion is a little pointless. McD's is not looking for a permanent lifer, they are looking for someone who can do the work. This "they'll be afraid I'll leave, overqualified" excuse is total bullshit for lower level jobs. Especially since there is nothing about the OP that would make him overqualified in the first place.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ClemenSalad posted:

The argument that McD's won't hire a college grad because hes overqualified is nonsensical anyway so the discussion is a little pointless. McD's is not looking for a permanent lifer, they are looking for someone who can do the work. This "they'll be afraid I'll leave, overqualified" excuse is total bullshit for lower level jobs. Especially since there is nothing about the OP that would make him overqualified in the first place.

I'm guessing there are also other factors, probably that managers (rightly or not) view college grads as acting "better than" the work and probably won't be as easy to order around as some slacker who dropped out of high school.

I am actually in favor of people lying on/fudging resumes as well. As long as you feel you can do the work though, which in the OP's case I wouldn't be super sure of.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
One time I was killing time with my retail manager in the back and he told me he'll hire a high schooler over a college kid any day because the shelf life of a high schooler can max at 7 years (high school + uni) whereas a college kid is out as soon as he finds an applicable job. Granted, that store only hires temporary foreign workers now because they always show up on time, don't dick around, and work. I don't know how prevalent that is/becoming in Americatown though.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
While I do think that some people are getting way too invested in this thread, Benny, step it up.

Retail doesn't want lifers- lifers want benefits and set schedules along with raises.

They fully expect people to stay 3-6 months and quit. Hell, half the time they don't even care about a resume- just FILL OUT THE APPLICATION, show up looking and smelling decent, be willing to work evenings and weekends and give your APPLICATION and resume to the manager without creeping them out.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sunshine89 posted:

While I do think that some people are getting way too invested in this thread, Benny, step it up.

Oh, sorry. I'll try to limit my investment to meet the OP's level of investment.

Hey, OP. Did you work good, today? Feelin productive?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
My work experience wasn't a giant black hole during college. Between 2005 and 2009, I managed to hold down four part-time jobs over summers, in high school, and taking classes in college. It was during the summer of '09 that I hit my dry spell. Every summer I made the rounds to find part-time work and even while taking classes in high school and in college. I think it was 2011 that I finally gave up and devoted my efforts into classes. The volunteer position started in January and I held it until the primary election a few weeks ago where my candidate was knocked out. So it's not like I was unwilling to work. I was caught by surprise when I found out in January that the university graduated me automatically. Ordinarily I'd have to apply two quarters in advance.

Next week I'm going back to school to talk to the Alumni services and find out about when the job fair is going down. Also I'm going back to the career center to figure out how to take full advantage of their services.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 29, 2013

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Benny the Snake posted:

I was caught by surprise when I found out in January that the university graduated me automatically. Ordinarily I'd have to apply two quarters in advance.

How did this happen? How did you get a surprise graduation? Seriously, I've never heard of anyone being so unaware of things that their own graduation is a surprise to them. Please tell me this is a data entry related error.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

How did this happen? How did you get a surprise graduation? Seriously, I've never heard of anyone being so unaware of things that their own graduation is a surprise to them. Please tell me this is a data entry related error.
I'm just as confused. I tried to apply for graduation online and I couldn't do it there. So my advisor called the department and told me to go to the Registar's office. Once I got there, I was told that the department had graduated me. And a month later, I have my diploma. I'm not asking questions.

I called Waba Grill. The position's been filled. gently caress :smith:

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!
So, have you started to look into what you would have to do to teach overseas?

Covered In Bees
Aug 22, 2003

Sally Slug posted:

So, have you started to look into what you would have to do to teach overseas?

Same as his degree--reading novels and smoking dope.

I too have an English degree!

If you had smoked weed maybe you would have developed the social ties and interpersonal skills that people rely upon to find and keep employment.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Covered In Bees fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I don't smoke marijuana. I'm going back to school Monday to find out information on teaching abroad. Definitely when my advisor is there.

Oh and to those wondering why I'm taking time looking into a part-time job in something like McDonald's or a clothing store when I should be focusing exclusively into an office job, well here's a detail I don't think I shared here. I have a friend. His name's Mike. I've known him for a while now and he's a good guy. Well, the Monday after the incident detailed in the OP, I talked to him about what happened and my situation. And here's what he told me. He says that he has a room ready for me for $300 a month. And his place is right here in my city. So that's my immediate plan. Once I find employment, I'm saving two months rent and moving in with him.

• Locked thread