Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tell that to Sega, who went on a youtube takedown rampage shutting down fans Shining Force channels because of a new SF game they wanted to pop up in YT searches or some poo poo :psyduck:

Some publishers have figured out that youtube superstars and twitchlords are not just free marketing, but free marketing with a 'trusting' audience, and in many cases, are probably a better avenue for reaching diehard fans than traditional gaming websites that are distrusted (for obvious reasons) by a lot of their more savvy audience.

I'm sort of surprised it hasn't been happening faster, but I've started to see some 'preview' builds going out to YT and twitch streamers in advance of a games release to drum up more interest.

... and this is going severely off topic so I'll shut up about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

TemporalParadox posted:

That would be a shame if they just wrote them off before trying but I could certainly see that being the main obstacle, they had similar issues with their own broadcasts/DVDs didn't they?

It's free advertising guys :argh:

It took publishers literal years to realize Let's Players and Youtubers are shilling their games for free, expect this to take twice as long because TV/DVD licensing is at least a decade behind where it should be.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Random Stranger posted:

I kind of want Neptunia for that reason as well but it costs way too much to buy just as a game to laugh at.
There's an LP of it going on right now that shows how boring and unfunny it is, so you don't have to buy it (and you shouldn't).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Pyrovile posted:

There's an LP of it going on right now that shows how boring and unfunny it is, so you don't have to buy it (and you shouldn't).

Thanks for the link to that. I bought it because of this post.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Neptunia's not unenjoyable, but if you're enjoying something about it, it's going to be anything but the gameplay.

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
Legend of the River King GBC version is out on the Nintendo eShop today. So close after the translation was released. Best timing? I think so :-)

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Krioni posted:

Legend of the River King GBC version is out on the Nintendo eShop today. So close after the translation was released. Best timing? I think so :-)

Thanks for the reminder, I thought it was another few days before it came out!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It is possible that the show would be rejected because there aren't enough episodes. They want to put the DVD episodes out which constitute about half of a typical TV season so I could see why that would be rejected.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

victrix posted:

Tell that to Sega, who went on a youtube takedown rampage shutting down fans Shining Force channels because of a new SF game they wanted to pop up in YT searches or some poo poo :psyduck:

Sega's never understood marketting in any sense, way, or form for as long as they've existed, Segata Sanshiro is probably the only even remotely memorable ad campaign of theirs and even that is Japan only.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

AnotherGamer posted:

Sega's never understood marketting in any sense, way, or form for as long as they've existed, Segata Sanshiro is probably the only even remotely memorable ad campaign of theirs and even that is Japan only.

To get this good at marketing takes

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

AnotherGamer posted:

Every gamer of my generation will take GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T to their grave.

Also,
W E L C O
M E T O T
H E N E X
T L E V E L

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

AnotherGamer posted:

How about the SEGA yell from 90% of their 90s commercials? As seen at the end of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVQ1fP7dNEE

*random person/creature yells SEGA!*

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Shingen posted:

How about the SEGA yell from 90% of their 90s commercials? As seen at the end of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVQ1fP7dNEE

*random person/creature yells SEGA!*

Or just the soft "Se-ga" from the games starting. Even Arino loves that. XD

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Or just the soft "Ki-be" from the games starting. Even Arino loves that. XD

Fixed that. (favorite segment, easily)

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

However the campain isn't apparently a unified thing from Sega's legal team or anything like that either, it's supposedly the new guy who's working on the Shining Series, bitter over the fact that nobody likes his games as much. (Though there's also the fact that they haven't been releasing any of these new ones in English anyway, so gently caress that guy.)

It's still sort of funny going right off the Neptunia discussion because the main reason I think the new Shining games have much notability in the first place is that Tony Taka's been the character artist.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega officially stopped taking down all the Shining Force videos recently, someone at Sega of America told the dude to knock it off.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 29, 2013

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sega officially stopped taking down all the Shining Force videos recently, someone at Segof America told the dude to knock it off.

That's kinda like pissing on the embers of your house that already burnt down. Hilarious that it only took them, what, four months or something?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

pnumoman posted:

That's kinda like pissing on the embers of your house that already burnt down. Hilarious that it only took them, what, four months or something?

No, its genious! All the Shining Force videos that they want down are gone, and now theyre pretending that it wasnt their doing to prevent a hit to their PR!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

No, its genious! All the Shining Force videos that they want down are gone, and now theyre pretending that it wasnt their doing to prevent a hit to their PR!

Oh, of course! How could I ever have doubted the great and mighty beast that is the Sega PR machine?!

I still haven't forgiven them for failing with Dreamcast. And I never will, until the Sega brand is completely dead and buried, because the Sega I knew as a child died with the Dreamcast.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sega was completely hosed before the Dreamcast and why are you spoiling that?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Sega was completely hosed before the Dreamcast and why are you spoiling that?

A) Yeah, but at least the Dreamcast was some stellar hardware that gave a brief bit of hope to the faithful, and B) because it's a fun way to indicate that the sarcastic tone of the reply does not apply to the rest of the post?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

pnumoman posted:

B) because it's a fun way to indicate that the sarcastic tone of the reply does not apply to the rest of the post?

No it isn't.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I just watched Legend of the River King 2 and I can't decide if it looks like a fun game or not. I mean, parts of it do look fun, but the fishing also looks like it would get incredibly dull and boring real fast.

The visuals look cute and the idea of looking for bait, upgrading fishing gear and entering fishing competitions in an RPG setting seems pretty solid. On the other hand, how many times did they mention the word "dull" in the episode? There was also that moment where it shows Arino with his hands behind his back chilling and "playing" the game, that doesn't instill much confidence.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pnumoman posted:

and B) because it's a fun way to indicate that the sarcastic tone of the reply does not apply to the rest of the post?

Spoilers are for spoilers, why is this hard for you to understand?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Xik posted:

I just watched Legend of the River King 2 and I can't decide if it looks like a fun game or not. I mean, parts of it do look fun, but the fishing also looks like it would get incredibly dull and boring real fast.

The visuals look cute and the idea of looking for bait, upgrading fishing gear and entering fishing competitions in an RPG setting seems pretty solid. On the other hand, how many times did they mention the word "dull" in the episode? There was also that moment where it shows Arino with his hands behind his back chilling and "playing" the game, that doesn't instill much confidence.

It's a fishing simulation man, so imagine the slow-paced atmosphere of fishing increased by another degree by making into an RPG where you grind for resources.

I think they got the right idea for it, I wouldn't have expected it to play out any other way; it seems like a nice way to unwind and spend an afternoon, so long as you're not on a time limit like Arino. I'd totally play it on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The ultimate fishing game is still Ocarina of Time for sure. I spent a hella long time fishing for the Hylian Loach and somehow it didn't feel like a drag. Twilight Princess had a good fishing pond too. When are we gonna get a Zelda fishing spinoff?

The music too :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9uIeIN6NI4

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Machine posted:

The ultimate fishing game is still Ocarina of Time for sure. I spent a hella long time fishing for the Hylian Loach and somehow it didn't feel like a drag. Twilight Princess had a good fishing pond too. When are we gonna get a Zelda fishing spinoff?

The music too :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9uIeIN6NI4
Breath of Fire 3 had a hella superior fishin' minigame, sorry. (OoT's is chillax as gently caress though.)

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

Lurdiak posted:

No it isn't.
Seriously, don't do that poo poo. It's not cute or funny it's annoying as hell.

Also Link's Awakening had the best fishing game :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every fishing game is the best fishing game and I can't think of a single game that wouldn't be improved by having an optional fishing game stashed in there somewhere.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

TemporalParadox posted:

Also Link's Awakening had the best fishing game :colbert:

Link's Awakening had the best anything :colbert:

As a kid I never owned Ocarina of Time but I'd rent it from Blockbuster and load up someone else's saved game and I'd spend 99% of my time either running around on Epona or fishing. I don't think I actually sat and played through the game until the 3DS remake came out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Every fishing game is the best fishing game and I can't think of a single game that wouldn't be improved by having an optional fishing game stashed in there somewhere.

I was gonna say Sonic Adventure but the biggest problem with that poo poo is that it was mandatory.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

quakster posted:

Breath of Fire 3 had a hella superior fishin' minigame, sorry. (OoT's is chillax as gently caress though.)

Oh god yes. I remember spending hours fishing as a kid. Breath of Fire was an amazing RPG series. Then they made Dragon Quarter. :smith:

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

quakster posted:

I gotta agree here. BoF3 had my favorite fishing minigame out of any I've tried so far.

Zain posted:

Oh god yes. I remember spending hours fishing as a kid. Breath of Fire was an amazing RPG series. Then they made Dragon Quarter. :smith:
Dragon Quarter is still a good game. You just have to go into it with the right mindset. If you think of it as a traditional BoF game, you're going to leave disappointed. If you go in thinking of it as a weird cousin of the Roguelike RPG genre with a BoF story? You might enjoy it (unless you hate Roguelikes).

AzraelDarkheart fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 29, 2013

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I was gonna say Sonic Adventure but the biggest problem with that poo poo is that it was mandatory.

I thought that one was pretty fun. While the learning curve for getting good fish is kinda steep, the requirements for story mode are very simple and can be completed in no time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zain posted:

dead to me

... ok it wasn't for everyone but damnit it was a good game!! :(

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Speaking of fishing games and the Dreamcast, nothing beats owning a Dreamcast, the official Fishing Controller, and the three Sega-published fishing games: Sega Bass Fishing 1, 2, and Sega Marine Fishing. And the Fishing Controller is so awesome, you could actually play Soul Calibur with it :getin:

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

This would be a perfect opportunity to show them how much support Game Center CX has.

So everyone should contact them and request that they translate Arino's Challenge 2/Retro Game Challenge 2!

I've made the work easy for you. Just click these links and contact them! Pictures of your copies of the DS games and the DVDs would also help a bunch, I'm sure!

Email: comments@xseedgames.com , pr@xseedmarketing.com

The "Suggestions" (for localization) sub-forum on their forums: http://xseedgames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?20-Suggestions&s=d7b933c4dbd5231d0e5e7624025044bc

They've also got twitter and Facebook: http://twitter.com/xseedgames and http://www.facebook.com/XSEEDGames.

If we make our voices heard, there might be a chance of seeing the other game stateside!

AzraelDarkheart fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 29, 2013

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

AzraelDarkheart posted:

I got something you for guys. I have a friend who works as a translator at XSEED Games (the guys who translated Retro Game Challenge).
I'm a professional game translator with over a decade of experience. I really don't want to piss on your parade here, but translation firms have very little to no say over what games get translated. If they're working on something that landed on their desks because of popular demand, it's because the game publisher thinks it can sell and sent it on to be localized. There is an extremely low chance that they bucked the trend and approached a publisher looking to translate a given title, but it would have to be a pretty indie game with a niche audience. (On second thought...) If you want to petition someone to get RGC2 translated, petition the game publisher, not the translation company. Even then, don't expect a miracle.

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

I'm a professional game translator with over a decade of experience. I really don't want to piss on your parade here, but translation firms have very little to no say over what games get translated. If they're working on something that landed on their desks because of popular demand, it's because the game publisher thinks it can sell and sent it on to be localized. There is an extremely low chance that they bucked the trend and approached a publisher looking to translate a given title, but it would have to be a pretty indie game with a niche audience. (On second thought...) If you want to petition someone to get RGC2 translated, petition the game publisher, not the translation company. Even then, don't expect a miracle.

XSEED is a publisher. A subsidiary of Marvelous AQL, but a publisher nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Chronomaster posted:

XSEED is a publisher. A subsidiary of Marvelous AQL, but a publisher nonetheless.

If GCCX fans make enough requests, there's a chance it might just happen. Stop being so negative about it.

AzraelDarkheart fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 29, 2013