Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RichieWolk posted:

In places with medical/legal marijuana it is harder for minors to buy a pipe than it is to get the actual drugs because the headshop owners will card you. You'd have to bribe someone to buy a glass pipe for you to use the drugs you had no problems obtaining.

You don't need ID to get an apple or soda can.

(Don't use a soda can, kids.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Warchicken posted:

Before anyone submits any argument of any kind against marijuana, they should have to explain why it doesn't apply to alcohol as well because gently caress me I am tired of bringing out that argument. But it applies to every single point ever raised ever about marijuana prohibition. More adolescents would smoke? Well, do more adolescents drink?

It's so very easy to get weed right now. Dealers don't check ID.

It is way easier for underage kids to get alcohol right now as it is legal than it was during prohibition. Even though it is easy to get marijuana it is even easier to get alcohol because you can convince basically anyone to go buy you some Smirnoff from a store, rather than finding a dealer, which believe it or not is a lot harder for most high school kids than finding someone with an older sibling who will buy them a handle or two.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It is harder, but not as much as you think. Maybe it depends where you live.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

It is way easier for underage kids to get alcohol right now as it is legal than it was during prohibition. Even though it is easy to get marijuana it is even easier to get alcohol because you can convince basically anyone to go buy you some Smirnoff from a store, rather than finding a dealer, which believe it or not is a lot harder for most high school kids than finding someone with an older sibling who will buy them a handle or two.

My evidence is only anecdotal but it was way way easier to get weed than alcohol in high school and that was the case for everyone I knew.

I think you're misinformed about how easy it is for kids to find weed dealers. Surely there are a few in every school.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

the black husserl posted:

My evidence is only anecdotal but it was way way easier to get weed than alcohol in high school and that was the case for everyone I knew.

I think you're misinformed about how easy it is for kids to find weed dealers. Surely there are a few in every school.

I had the same experience, though I think part of it is just the physical nature of marijuana vs. alcohol. It's a lot easier to discreetly hand someone an eighth than a fifth.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

the black husserl posted:

Depends on where you live. In a rural wet county, that isn't allowing MMJ, its going to be easier to get booze. In an urban dry county, especially in a state that is heavily regulating liquor, its going to be easier to get weed. When dealing in small amounts, i.e. what you'd buy or sell to a high schooler, weed definitely is more concealable and portable so its probably going to be easier all things being equal.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

It is way easier for underage kids to get alcohol...

What about tobacco?

Care to explain why more kids seem able to get ahold of cannabis than tobacco?

According to CDC figures:

quote:

Current marijuana use among high school students was more common than current cigarette use (23 percent compared to 18 percent) http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2012/p0607_yrb_telebriefing.html

Red_Mage posted:

Depends on where you live. In a rural wet county, that isn't allowing MMJ, its going to be easier to get booze. In an urban dry county, especially in a state that is heavily regulating liquor, its going to be easier to get weed.

Have you got some evidence that it's easier for children to get cannabis in states that have passed medical marijauan laws?

quote:

the data are very reassuring that in almost all cases medical marijuana legalized for adults does not lead to an increase in recreational use of marijuana by adolescents.” - California Pediatrician, 2011 http://www.aap-ca.org/news/caPed/California%20Pediatrician%20-%20Winter%202011.pdf

quote:

we find very little evidence that passing MMLs [Medical Marijuana Laws] increases reported use, among adolescents or any other age group. - Annals of Epidemiology, 2012 http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/epidemiology/harper/web/papers_files/Harper-Ann%20Epidemiol-2012.pdf

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 29, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think you're making an unfounded assumption here. Just because somebody is able to get tobacco doesn't mean they're interested in using it. I knew a fair amount of smokers in high school, but a lot more potheads.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Does the CDC really not have data on alcohol use amongst teenagers? Because that's the relevant comparison.

edit: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/yrbs/pdf/us_alcohol_trend_yrbs.pdf

38.7% had at least one drink in the last 30 days in 2011 compared to 23.1% for marijuana

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Xandu posted:

Just because somebody is able to get tobacco doesn't mean they're interested in using it.

Right, so there is no relationship between accessibility and how many teens will use cannabis.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Perhaps. I think marijuana these days is a lot more appealing than tobacco, which has acquired a negative reputation for a lot of people. So having easy access to tobacco might not increase use, but it might for marijuana. I'll check the studies you posted above, though.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Xandu posted:

I think marijuana these days is a lot more appealing than tobacco, which has acquired a negative reputation for a lot of people.

I wonder if it would have acquired such a negative reputation if it had been illegal for as long as cannabis and was sold on the street without health warnings (like cannabis).

Xandu posted:

Does the CDC really not have data on alcohol use amongst teenagers? Because that's the relevant comparison.

Not really, alcohol consumption is heavily promoted and neither tobacco nor cannabis is.

Xandu posted:

Perhaps.

Not perhaps:

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 29, 2013

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

KingEup posted:

Not really, alcohol consumption is heavily promoted and neither tobacco nor cannabis is.

Cannabis use is not really that stigmatized. Nowadays I'd say it even has less of a stigma among young people than tobacco (though all of the potheads I knew in high school smoked cigarettes too).

Saying that legalization will make it harder for kids to access is frankly just bullshit. Marijuana is simpler to make yourself than alcohol, and plenty of kids already grow it. The point isn't that legalization makes it harder for them to get, it's that they can get it anyway so its a moot point.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

ChipNDip posted:

Saying that legalization will make it harder for kids to access is frankly just bullshit. Marijuana is simpler to make yourself than alcohol, and plenty of kids already grow it. The point isn't that legalization makes it harder for them to get, it's that they can get it anyway so its a moot point.

No, the point is that legalisation (if done properly) may increase the perceived risk of using cannabis and therefore result in less cannabis use.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

KingEup posted:

Not perhaps:

Availability is essentially static in that graph, so I don't see how we can determine what would happen if marijauna was suddenly 'very east to get' for 10-20%+ more teenagers (the availability percentage is significantly lower for 8th/10th graders).

Not that I really care, I used marijuana fairly often in high school and turned out fine.

edit: http://www.monitoringthefuture.org/data/12data/fig12_1.pdf

Use and availability seem somewhat correlated for 8th/10th graders.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChipNDip posted:

Marijuana is simpler to make yourself than alcohol, and plenty of kids already grow it.

This makes no sense. You can't magic seeds out of nowhere.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

KingEup posted:

quote:

Years ago, Berry did pre-kindergarten testing for aptitude in Onondaga County. She said young children who tested as having higher-than-average intelligence sometimes cross her path, as adults, in her work today. What she finds, she said, is that men and women who were frequent adolescent users of marijuana often suffer from a permanent loss of aptitude, an observation she said is reinforced by new studies.

In the morning, when Berry walks her dogs in Elmwood Park, she regularly sees groups of teens passing marijuana "blunts" before going to high school classes. Ask educators at any area high school, she said, and they’ll speak to the helplessness of trying to work with teens who show up “high.”

Wow, Berry, that sure is some top shelf science you got goin on there. Some pre-kindergartners didn't pan out as well as you thought they should and some of them used pot as teenagers. Could there be other factors that contribute to how their lives turned out such as abuse, alienation or poverty? Who cares! Certainly not Dr Liz Berry, noted New York psychiatrist. I mean, just look at all these urban youths smoking blunts! Any teacher can tell you that's no way to succeed!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I went to practically every class, rehearsal and performance of my entire master's degree stoned as loving poo poo. Result? Getting my doctorate.

I really hate that argument. Weed does not make people failures.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Install Gentoo posted:

You can magic them off the internet. :ssh:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

You don't even need seeds. Go to that one lazy kid's house that throws his seeds out the back porch and clip a branch off one of the small plants that invariably dot his yard. Stick that poo poo into dirt and you're good.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

ChipNDip posted:

Marijuana is simpler to make yourself than alcohol, and plenty of kids already grow it.

You know that putting a bunch of sugar, yeast and water in a bucket will give you drinkable if somewhat awful alcohol? That's what we did when we were kids here.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kemper Boyd posted:

You know that putting a bunch of sugar, yeast and water in a bucket will give you drinkable if somewhat awful alcohol? That's what we did when we were kids here.

I knew people who would ferment apple cider, but they didn't really know what they were doing so the outcome, while alcoholic, was loving vile.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RichieWolk posted:

You can magic them off the internet. :ssh:

That's not "making weed" that's buying it.

Aliquid posted:

You don't even need seeds. Go to that one lazy kid's house that throws his seeds out the back porch and clip a branch off one of the small plants that invariably dot his yard. Stick that poo poo into dirt and you're good.

That's not "making weed" that's hoping there's someone in town stupid enough to have done such a thing and then replanting it.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Meanwhile this, anyone can do. Sometimes you don't even need to find yeast itself, just certain kinds of bread you rip up in chunks.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Install Gentoo posted:

That's not "making weed" that's hoping there's someone in town stupid enough to have done such a thing and then replanting it.

Meanwhile this, anyone can do. Sometimes you don't even need to find yeast itself, just certain kinds of bread you rip up in chunks.

What? In both cases it is buy a thing that is not the thing you want in the the end ----> work on thing ----> produce new thing. Are you arguing that since it's easier to find sugar and yeast it's easier to make alcohol? Cause sure, yeah, it's harder to find seeds, but if you're already smoking weed, I'm sure you've bought a bag with seeds in it already.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SeraphSlaughter posted:

Are you arguing that since it's easier to find sugar and yeast it's easier to make alcohol? Cause sure, yeah, it's harder to find seeds, but if you're already smoking weed, I'm sure you've bought a bag with seeds in it already.

It's not just easier to find the ingredients but also easier and/or quicker to make alcohol even with all of the ingredients.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Uh yeah alcohol is definitely easier to make than it is to grow weed. You literally don't need to do anything except buy some apple juice, grape juice, cider, honey, basically anything with a high sugar content from a grocery store and some yeast. And then you just let it sit and boom you have an alcoholic beverage that might not even taste that bad. It's also much more discreet and requires no equipment other than a bucket.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SeraphSlaughter posted:

What? In both cases it is buy a thing that is not the thing you want in the the end ----> work on thing ----> produce new thing. Are you arguing that since it's easier to find sugar and yeast it's easier to make alcohol? Cause sure, yeah, it's harder to find seeds, but if you're already smoking weed, I'm sure you've bought a bag with seeds in it already.

Yes I am arguing that the fact you can make alcohol with nothing more than time and basic food items makes it easier to make alcohol then to grow weed. People whip up bootleg "wine" in prisons of all places, that's how easy it is.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Uh yeah alcohol is definitely easier to make than it is to grow weed. You literally don't need to do anything except buy some apple juice, grape juice, cider, honey, basically anything with a high sugar content from a grocery store and some yeast. And then you just let it sit and boom you have an alcoholic beverage that might not even taste that bad. It's also much more discreet and requires no equipment other than a bucket.

I should have said that its easier to grow decent marijuana than to make decent alcohol yourself. Sure, plenty of people make good homebrew, but fermenting grape juice with bread yeast is going to taste real lovely.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
In my experience as a high/middle schooler, the younger you were the harder it was to get alcohol, but you could get weed whenever. So at around 11th grade when people started looking plausibly adult and you had more friends in college the balance tipped towards alcohol being easier to get. All of this changes, of course, if your parents don't monitor their liquor cabinet.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

ChipNDip posted:

I should have said that its easier to grow decent marijuana than to make decent alcohol yourself. Sure, plenty of people make good homebrew, but fermenting grape juice with bread yeast is going to taste real lovely.

This is also not true. Decent marijuana requires a ton of time, constant attention, and expensive equipment.

You can make a decent homebrew with a $30 malt extract kit, a few buckets, a big pot, and a $10 bottle capper. It also only takes a few hours to brew, and then you just let it sit for a few weeks and bottle it. As someone who has done both, basic homebrewing is many, many times easier than growing good weed.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 29, 2013

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Install Gentoo posted:

Uhh, how else do you procure goods in the US?

I mean there are tons of places you can order cannabis seeds on the internet if you want to grow your own plants. Pre-feminized, auto-flowering, you name it the internet has it. Seriously, with google and a few pre-paid debit cards, I could have everything necessary to grow a couple high-yielding plants shipped directly to my front door in a matter of days.

It's stupid easy to get drugs today in the US. I get a raging irony-boner when I think about how many government employees involuntarily commit drug trafficking felonies every day. :unsmigghh:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RichieWolk posted:

Uhh, how else do you procure goods in the US?

You know, actually making a thing. Instead of buying it.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
It's still tough to get seeds without access to a dealer of some sort, it may change when states legalize.

Speaking of which does anyone from Maine/knowledgeable about Maine want to speak about this http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130328-NEWS-130329728? How likely is this to pass?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

December Octopodes posted:

It's still tough to get seeds without access to a dealer of some sort, it may change when states legalize.

Speaking of which does anyone from Maine/knowledgeable about Maine want to speak about this http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130328-NEWS-130329728? How likely is this to pass?

Highly likely. Maine has been out front on almost all marijuana developments over the past decade, and I think we feel a bit chuffed that CO and WA beat us to the legalization punch.

It will either be passed through the state house, or put up for a referendum this year or next.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Install Gentoo posted:

Using this logic no one has ever made weed, they just bought/found seeds and planted them. No one is synthesizing cannabis dna from scratch. You are "just buying" the homebrew alcohol too because you bought the yeast and sugar. This argument makes no sense.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Install Gentoo posted:

"If you wish to grow some killer buds from scratch, you must first invent the universe." :rolleye:

Unless you mean people should go foraging for wild marijuana plants, buying the seeds and growing your own plant from start to finish is about as close to "making your own" as cannabis gets. You start with the same components as everyone else - light, water, seed, nutrients, etc. - but how you combine them directly affects the end product. There are infinite variations of tastes, effects, and colors from the different growing methods and strains.

December Octopodes posted:

You need to get someone under 25 to teach you how to use google better because it's dead simple to find a place that has no moral qualms about supplying stealthy seeds.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

it's easier to make crappy alcohol than it is to make good weed, for sure, but it's also easier to make crappy weed than good booze. Depending on climate, you can literally stick seeds in the ground, do absolutely nothing, come back in 4 months and have a shitload of weed. Yes, it will be seedy and probably not very potent, but prison wine is also really lovely.

Install Gentoo posted:

This is a completely insane argument. Alcohol comes from plants; weed comes from a plant. Plants grow from seeds. There is literally no difference.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spengler posted:

This is a completely insane argument. Alcohol comes from plants; weed comes from a plant. Plants grow from seeds. There is literally no difference.

Alcohol comes from things that contain sugar.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
On the subject of lovely prohibitionist arguments I just have to post this, it's been on my mind for the past couple weeks because I really think this might be the single worst/most misinformed op-ed I have ever read out of tens of thousands. Not only is this guy rabidly anti-pot but is also ardently pro-tobacco and constantly tries to downplay the risks of tobacco on his radio show. Thousands or possibly over a million people listen to this rear end in a top hat's advise on a regular basis, so with any luck some lucky souls will eschew the demon weed in favor of lung cancer and emphysema.

quote:

Marijuana: Another Gift of the Left to America's Youth
Dennis Prager

Denver television station CBS4 reports that Colorado has seen a sharp spike in marijuana use among teenagers since Colorado voters passed Amendment 64 last November legalizing recreational use of the drug. As described in The Economist, along with a Washington State measure also legalizing marijuana, Amendment 64 is "an electoral first not only for America but for the world."

That means two American states are to the left of the Scandinavian countries, Holland, and every other liberal country regarding marijuana.

CBS4 quotes a number of local high school students:

"I've seen a lot more people just walking down the street smoking (joints)," high school student Irie Johnson said.

"In high school it has kind of gotten out of hand," student Alaina Tanenbaum said.

According to the CBS4 report, based in part on data from a local drug testing lab: "Experts say the test results show that children are getting higher than ever with alarming levels of THC, marijuana's active ingredient, in their bodies."

The massive increase in both the number of users and the amount of marijuana used by young people is precisely what I, and many others, predicted.

It was easy to predict.

When something desirable is made easier to obtain, more people will obtain it. It is difficult to imagine an exception to this common sense observation.

So, legalizing marijuana is foolish because it leads to far more use of the drug and the availability of ever more potent forms. But the foolishness doesn't end there. Equally foolish is that as a society we have made peace with marijuana while making war on tobacco. This has been a classic example of upside down thinking, and we are reaping exactly what we have sown. We have produced a generation of young Americans who would never put a cigarette or cigar near their lips but who increasingly get high on pot.

Yes, tobacco -- specifically cigarettes -- kills and marijuana doesn't. But, forgive the ultimate political incorrectness, young people would do much better in life if they smoked tobacco rather than weed.

First, tobacco doesn't kill young people. When it kills, it generally kills much older people. Moreover, according to a recent issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, if you stop smoking cigarettes by age 44, you will lose only one more year of life than a person who never smoked.

Second, regular pot smokers increasingly tune out of life, becoming what are known as potheads, or, to put it bluntly, losers.

Third, as noted in the CBS4 report, "new studies that have been published say the risk of a car accident increases two-fold after someone consumes pot." In other words, innocent human beings -- sometimes whole families -- are more likely to be maimed, paralyzed and killed by pot smokers than by cigarette smokers.

For myriad reasons, then, I would far prefer my teenager indulge in cigarettes -- not to mention cigars -- than pot. Anyone who thinks that pot is less harmful to a teenager than tobacco is fooling himself -- and his teenager.

If this is not obvious, ponder these questions: Would you rather your airplane pilot smoke pot or tobacco while flying? How would Britain have fared in World War II if Winston Churchill had smoked pot instead of cigars?

In terms of the effects of tobacco and pot on the smoker while smoking, there is simply no comparison between pot and tobacco.

What the left has done to America's youth in the last 40 or so years is so damaging as to be unforgiveable. They have ruined public school education; left them with so much debt that they will likely be the first American generation to live materially inferior to the their parents; and robbed their innocence with sex education classes, now beginning in kindergarten in Chicago and elsewhere. Now they are making marijuana available to more kids and in greater potency than ever before.

But they have left them with higher self-esteem.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeffrey posted:

Using this logic no one has ever made weed, they just bought/found seeds and planted them

Yes, bro, that is the point. Like literally the point.

RichieWolk posted:

"If you wish to grow some killer buds from scratch, you must first invent the universe." :rolleye:

Unless you mean people should go foraging for wild marijuana plants, buying the seeds and growing your own plant from start to finish is about as close to "making your own" as cannabis gets. You start with the same components as everyone else - light, water, seed, nutrients, etc. - but how you combine them directly affects the end product. There are infinite variations of tastes, effects, and colors from the different growing methods and strains.

You're still not understanding that you can make alcohol just about anywhere you have common foods to ferment versus planting and growing a marijuana plant to maturity.

spengler posted:

You're not really understanding why alcohol is a whole lot harder to suppress than marijuana is, do you? Since you can make alcohol out of almost any crop you'd otherwise eat versus marijuana being a specific plant.

computer parts posted:

Alcohol comes from things that contain sugar.

Exactly.

• Locked thread