Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Best Friends posted:

With that tight space, what is the deal with BO and farts? I imagine dudes who reek are seriously loving hated and hazed. y/n?

Until recently it was very rare to have enough water for everyone to shower every day. Showers are still brief affairs. The laundry services are questionable. You end up smelling quite a bit of butts but there are plenty of other unpleasant odors stirred in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

On time, some coner burned his speedo undies in the dryer.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Snowdens Secret posted:

Until recently it was very rare to have enough water for everyone to shower every day. Showers are still brief affairs. The laundry services are questionable. You end up smelling quite a bit of butts but there are plenty of other unpleasant odors stirred in.

Thats not exactly true. Even on 637 boats you could shower every day. Laundry is time slotted and if no one from that dept is using it you can ask if you can do yours.

Mad Dragon posted:

On time, some coner burned his speedo undies in the dryer.

My COB burned his clothes in the laundry. He of course blamed someone else for not cleaning the filters when the procedure was to clean both BEFORE and after you are done.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Our dryer was marked DO NOT ADJUST TEMPERATURE HIGHER THAN HERE ->, and he did anyway.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
guess who caught the lint on fire!!!! (hint: it was a loving cook)

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

ded posted:

Thats not exactly true. Even on 637 boats you could shower every day. Laundry is time slotted and if no one from that dept is using it you can ask if you can do yours.

637-class, It really depended on what the operational situation was. If trying to be extra quiet, running the evaporator was one of the first things to go. Nothing like hearing "chief of the Watch. Secure the showers." Just before time to get off watch.

We had one A-ganger who made it a point to have the potable water tanks full at the end of his watch, just so he could enjoy a nice long shower afterward. He had it figured out.

When we were on Norpac (2 months), we assigned one of the cranks to be Laundry Queen. He didn't stand watch - he just did everyone's laundry, kept the dryer from catching fire and worked on quals. Pretty good deal for him. Also since the laundry was next to the designated smoking area, he was able to hang out and get the quals done while people were on smoke break. He didn't stay a nub for very long... Of course it helped that he wasn't a douche.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
wait you can smoke on a sub :psyboom:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

holocaust bloopers posted:

not any more

god drat pussy poo poo now man

BACK IN MY DAY everyone did!!!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Can civilians sperg in here too?

Mr. Nice! posted:

But it is still required to have an operational navigational radar according to the International Regulations to Avoid Collisions at Sea (COLREGS).

COLREG doesn't require carriage of radar, only that it be used if it is onboard and it is appropriate to do so. SOLAS Chapter V Regulation 19 sets the requirement for carriage of RADAR at the IMO level, I couldn't tell you which US reg requires it on US vessels and how that applies to military vessels though. :spergin:

Snowdens Secret posted:

When surfaced you will in fact generally rig up a civilian radar set like you'd find in a moderately nice civilian motorboat. Radar is as much about being seen as it is seeing others and for self-explanatory reasons civilian ESM doesn't pick up military radar well.

Civilian vessels, except for some pleasure crafts with spergy owners and money to waste, don't carry ESM at all. Whether or not you're radiating has zero effect on how much civilians can detect you 99% of the time; while there's equipment on the market that'll tell you "Yep, there's a radar emitter somewhere in that 45 degree arc", I've never seen one outside of Whale Wars. It can't detect objects that aren't using radars, so we have to watch the radar anyway.

Where do you keep the mooring ropes on a submarine? What about bollards or capstans, I've seen them on older submarines (Like WWII vintage) but... How do you tie up a modern submarine? What about anchoring? How do they handle, do you generally use a tug for docking / undocking? (Edit: Sorry to poo poo up GIP with my sperging, I'm just curious about submarines.)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
you just flip those bitches upright when you need to tie up, don't know the technical terms for any of it though lol

also we didn't keep mooring lines on the boat that i knew of, the dudes on the pier had them

engineroom during maneuvering watch is gay as poo poo I wanted to see the sun :(

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 29, 2013

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

COLREG doesn't require carriage of radar, only that it be used if it is onboard and it is appropriate to do so. SOLAS Chapter V Regulation 19 sets the requirement for carriage of RADAR at the IMO level, I couldn't tell you which US reg requires it on US vessels and how that applies to military vessels though. :spergin:

Civilian vessels, except for some pleasure crafts with spergy owners and money to waste, don't carry ESM at all. Whether or not you're radiating has zero effect on how much civilians can detect you 99% of the time; while there's equipment on the market that'll tell you "Yep, there's a radar emitter somewhere in that 45 degree arc", I've never seen one outside of Whale Wars. It can't detect objects that aren't using radars, so we have to watch the radar anyway.

Where do you keep the mooring ropes on a submarine? What about bollards or capstans, I've seen them on older submarines (Like WWII vintage) but... How do you tie up a modern submarine? What about anchoring? How do they handle, do you generally use a tug for docking / undocking? (Edit: Sorry to poo poo up GIP with my sperging, I'm just curious about submarines.)

I don't really think that non-incendiary questions aren't welcome in GiP. I would hope that anyone would feel free to come here and ask this kind of stuff. I think it livens up conversation sometimes. Its informative as hell for me (as a non-Sub Navy guy that sometimes doesn't know what questions to ask when he's curious about something)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Shaft alley was the place to go when you wanted to get a qual gaffed on my boat. We had a guy in my division that would have a nic patch and still smoke nearly a pack a day while at sea.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FrozenVent posted:

Sperg all you want! My boat nearly got ran over by a supertanker while we were pulling into Yokosuka once. I was on the fathometer and saw/heard it all as it went down. Scary as poo poo. The only reason we didn't get rammed was our helm questioned one of the skippers orders when he gave a rudder call that was the wrong direction. He did it very politely tho, "Say again sir?".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ded posted:

Shaft alley was the place to go when you wanted to get a qual gaffed on my boat. We had a guy in my division that would have a nic patch and still smoke nearly a pack a day while at sea.

"Shaft Alley" makes me think parts of the sub in terms of a city with bad neighborhoods and where the rich white people live, etc.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

"Shaft Alley" makes me think parts of the sub in terms of a city with bad neighborhoods and where the rich white people live, etc.

bro don't you dare talk poo poo about my watchstations

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

FrozenVent posted:

We use lines from the pier. Fast boats carry lines just in case they moor somewhere without them (they won't). The cleats are retractable, as is the capstan, which gets used for drydocking and that's pretty much it. There's an anchor in one of the ballast tanks that I have never seen used. Submarines handle like dogshit on the surface, you absolutely use tugs, though fast attacks have a trainable outboard and could theoretically moor unassisted if it wasn't an idiotic thing to do with a 2 billion dollar ship that isn't designed to drive on the surface.

Shaft Alley would be a great name for a gay bar outside the main gate at Norfolk or Bremerton.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

That's not the first thing that pops in my mind when I hear the term "Shaft Alley".

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
some lube oil piping runs through shaft alley ;) ;) :ssh:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

This is a moored submarine. I forget the jargon but the cleats flip over leaving a flush surface so they don't cause drag/noise while submerged. The capstan also retracts; it's very rarely used, I don't think I ever saw it employed. This isn't my picture but I think on this boat it's under that front bight. I used to be able to name all the lines and tell you the arrangements, but not any more. The lines look like IXXI. Lines are stored below and if at all possible the dock's lines are used instead, it's a big pain in the rear end unstowing and stowing the onboard ones. Shore power adapters are kept on board for emergencies but in general you need shore-provided cables.

Couple things to note about this pic. Subs sit very low on the surface and often are under pier level (depending on tide) unlike a surface ship that pretty much always looks down onto the pier. You can see the brow just sort of dumps you onto the unrailed deck. This can lead to entertainment when guys come back to the ship ripped drunk in a foreign port. Subs obviously do not carry their own brows, unlike many surface ships. The big black thing you see under the brow is a Yokohama barrier; a sub's widest point is underneath the surface so it needs these special barriers to keep from banging into the pier. These are also not carried onboard. If you don't have a shore-side brow and something like Yokohamas, you're not docking.

On the other hand you can do unassisted landings. They can be tricky, especially depending on who's driving (they're often done for quals for new officers), weather and current conditions etc. We had one utterly botched port call in Panama City where we had to do a no-poo poo unassisted landing, no tugs, no lines, unfamiliar pier, had to shout at the dudes from the Chinese oiler on the other side of the pier to help us handle the brow. That port call also saw the only unassisted takeoff I've ever heard of (we just tossed the brow overboard.)

If you look here, see the guys up in the sail, the guys standing on top, that's where I usually stood as we came in / left port. That white dome thing over their heads is the civilian radar temporarily mounted on top of the nav ID mast. My understanding was the bigger ships, ones where the bridge may not be manned all the time, have some sort of alarm that screams if it starts getting painted with a surface search radar to get someone to come up and check for contacts, but I don't remember where I got that.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 29, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Thanks for the info, I'd never realized that the sub would just go under the dock without the fendering; that's got to be a pain in the rear end (If you were ever to dock without proper fendering anyway).

Snowdens Secret posted:

My understanding was the bigger ships, ones where the bridge may not be manned all the time, have some sort of alarm that screams if it starts getting painted with a surface search radar to get someone to come up and check for contacts, but I don't remember where I got that.

Yeah that's not a thing. You can have alarms to auto-acquire radar contacts (Never used them, the drat things are annoying) and you could possibly have some sort of AIS based CPA / TCPA alarm (Never seen it implemented, because :supaburn:AIS CAN'T BE USED FOR ANTICOLLISION EVER :supaburn:), but radar detectors just aren't a thing. They'd get blasted by the ship's own radars, for one.

Unmanned bridge is also not supposed to be a thing. Some ships are designed for single person watchkeeping (In wide open blue water, in the day time) and the OOW will sometime get distracted by paperwork or go to the bathroom... But even then there's a loud loving alarm that'll go off and wake up the Captain if you don't hit the "I'm not sleeping" button every fifteen minutes or so. It still happens, mind you, not gonna deny that.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
My first experience of bad smells was in lower level berthing (Seawolf class). It smelled like feet and butt-hole, and since then I would always insist on being in upper level berthing when possible.

Other examples is if sanitaries were blown inboard. Once the upper level head was blown inboard so bad that apparently lovely water 'rained' into control. The trash we kept in the engine room smelled pretty awful after so long when the trash disposal unit was unavailable, and finally the tank level indicator for the sanitary tank in the engine room never worked, so if it wasn't pumped regularly it would overflow into the engine room bilge. Thankfully it was only piss water and coffee, but it was still miserable keeping clean.

My very first deployment we had fires in the dryer all the time because the loving cooks never cleared the lint filter when they did the laundry. It got to the point where it was pretty much announced in a completely deadpan way 'Fire in the dryer', and they didn't even sound the alarm. It was weird on my second deployment when all the khaki's freaked out the first time - and every subsequent time - there would be a fire.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Fun fact: the poo poo pumps on a sub were originally designed to pump ketchup. Enjoy that burger. :yum:

Cerekk posted:

There's an anchor in one of the ballast tanks that I have never seen used.

I've seen it used, and it broke. They always break.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
We used our anchor when we did a dependents cruise to Maui. It did not break. :coal:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
We dropped ours as part of some workup. It didn't break. Everyone did seem surprised.

We dropped our outboard once and it fell off so I guess the karma evened out.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Sorry for the absence; just back from underway.

Speaking of anchors, our Deputy frequently fucks with the NAV by insinuating that he will want to see anchor ops...then "forgetting" about it. Three times, 3 sleepless inspections for the NAV, much happiness for the rest of us at seeing him mindfucked.

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 30, 2013

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

We did a 6 day port visit in New Caledonia. First sub to visit there since WW2. Everyone was happy to see us, reception at the Governor-General's mansion.

Only thing was - no shore power or shore facilities, liberty launches to shore and back.

So... We got to enjoy 6 days, anchored, critical, duty officer plotting fixes every thirty minutes to make sure we weren't dragging anchor....

Eng Dept split in half. 3 days liberty, 3 days pulling port and starboard (modified) watch...

Coners (except Nav) got normal liberty schedule.

On the whole it was a cool visit, but I sure am glad that we didn't have to do that all the time. Seems like the only olde timey thing we didn't do was pull out the sextant and plot a celestial...

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

genderstomper58 posted:

not any more

god drat pussy poo poo now man

BACK IN MY DAY everyone did!!!

Yeah, pretty much had no choice. If you were in maneuvering for 6 hours with 3 smokers (especially if one was the eeow) you smoked, first or second-hand, you smoked.

By the end of my tour, smoking was pretty well done for. The new CO was some sort of health nut.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Golli posted:

Sonar officer was one of the JO billets that was sort of 'optional' depending on staffing. Since it is a coner division, it is given to either a newly reported ensign to kill time while working on Battery Charging Lineup Officer/EEOW quals until he can rotate into an Engineering division - or to a senior LT who has finished engineer officer qual and is coasting toward shoreduty/EAOS.

In either case, no right-thinking JO would claim to be a sonar 'expert' unless they were a prior-enlisted STS. Different JOs may have a better understanding of the theory and equipment than others, but listening to fish is a very specialized skill.

A lot of the time, the billet is open, with the Weapons Officer (Dept Head)signing all the paperwork that the Sonar Chief puts in front of him.

I was AWEPS for about 2 years after I finished my mandatory year as a Nuclear Div-O (required to be sent to PNEO), since our Weapons Officer (Department Head) was a mouth breathing retard and we were prepping for an extended 5th/7th fleet deployment. I was responsible for Sonar, Fire Control, Torpedo, Deck, Sound Silencing, and Dive divisions. My job consisted of:
QA'ing paperwork
Developing and enforcing Continuing Training
-giving theory lectures
-making the Chiefs give technical lectures
-creating/administering tests
Managing maintenance (specifically for Sonar, since their chief rode the short bus)
Operational Planning (mission planning, etc)
Making sure people weren't loving off on watch

I got a chance to learn a lot about the systems while being AWEPS; no where close to the level of the better 1st classes, but enough that I knew how to stand the stacks and was eventually made PRIMATE for battlestations when we lost our good FTOW's. It was rewarding, albeit challenging; I sure as poo poo didn't get paid enough to do WEPs job for him, considering he was banking a yearly $30,000 dollar bonus for being incompetent.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

ded posted:

Sperg all you want! My boat nearly got ran over by a supertanker while we were pulling into Yokosuka once. I was on the fathometer and saw/heard it all as it went down. Scary as poo poo. The only reason we didn't get rammed was our helm questioned one of the skippers orders when he gave a rudder call that was the wrong direction. He did it very politely tho, "Say again sir?".

This has changed, ALOT, since the Montpelier and Greenville incidents, both of which were collisions when the CO had the CONN (driving the ship, which is rare). It has become a standard that anyone, down to a cook, is not only encouraged, but required, to question an order given that someone knows could put the ship in danger. Our CO took an FTOW to mast for dereliction of duty when we had a close CPA because the OOD (newly qualified) gave a bad course, and the FTOW decided he didn't want to contribute.

Now, that of course raises great conversation about wartime necessity for absolute authority and rapid obedience, but a submariners its a more intellectual debate than practical.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Golli posted:

Yeah, pretty much had no choice. If you were in maneuvering for 6 hours with 3 smokers (especially if one was the eeow) you smoked, first or second-hand, you smoked.

By the end of my tour, smoking was pretty well done for. The new CO was some sort of health nut.

Done completely now; COMSUBFOR banned it almost 2 years ago now. Some CO's still have a "morale day" once a week and ignore the order for a couple hours, but most submarines are utterly non-smoking now.

It's probably a coincidence, but 1 month after subs banned smoking, E-cigarettes became the most popular thing in Hawaii. I had 6 stores pop up within 5 miles of me in just a couple weeks. Now there are only 2-3 old chiefs who still smoke regular cigarettes on the sub. Everyone else smokes E-cigs since they can smoke them underway.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Haha never even though about e-cigs, figured everyone just went to dip or murder

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sacrilage posted:

our Weapons Officer (Department Head) was a mouth breathing retard

Sounds familiar.

Our WEPS:
A) had Capt Kirk and Spock dolls (ACTION FIGURES) who liked to engage in perverted sex acts while he was away from his desk.
B) fell asleep standing up during training THAT HE WAS DELIVERING. He was talking, then he closed his eyes and began sliding down the wardroom wall.
C) had a wife who acted like she was the same rank as he was. Wardroom staff hated her cause she treated them like crap. The other JO wives also hated her.
D) took one year to requal OOD underway as a dept head.
E) got fired when he failed to requal EOOW

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

(Double post)

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

genderstomper58 posted:

figured everyone just went to dip or murder
lol

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7x_8tgJXmc

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

An RC sub would have to be the most boring toy ever.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

An RC sub would have to be the most boring toy ever.

Pretty accurate though :xd:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

Haha never even though about e-cigs, figured everyone just went to dip or murder

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

this guy rules

i loved seein dudes so fat they were hydrostatically testing their coveralls all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

genderstomper58 posted:

i loved seein dudes so fat they were hydrostatically testing their coveralls all day

We were trying to think of a nice way to tell one of my fellow JO's he was overweight, so we filled out a QA-26 (Hydrostatic Test Record) with a diagram of himself overflowing from a poopy suit. Test Medium: white pale flesh.

• Locked thread