Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Jo3sh posted:

*Real* cider is much, much more work and requires blending of apples and all that good stuff. Apples for apple juice make a pretty bland hard cider by comparison, but it actually is pretty pleasant.

Another fun thing you can do with high-test cider (or beer, or really anything above 10% ABV) is to freeze it and throw away the water ice. This makes applejack, a traditional American beverage, and it can be as strong as 35 or 40% alcohol. Serve in liqueur or akavit glasses.

My friend says if you get real cider yeast, and a gallon of cider, the usual "yeast in the drink balloon on the top" works really well.

edit: On that topic since I couldn't find any on my last trip to the HBS (will be going soon to replace my shattered hydrometer), http://www.amazon.com/packs-KIV-1116-Lalvin-Yeast-Winemaking/dp/B004348K2Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1364518035&sr=8-5&keywords=cider+yeast ?

I have a 2 week camping trip coming up in August and I'd like to have at least 4 cases of beer and 10 jugs of cider ready for then (that's not too crazy for 10 people). I know anything I make now probably won't be the best by then but I'd like to get the technique down.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

ScaerCroe posted:

I can never decide how long to dry hop beers. I have done 2 weeks, 1 week, and even gone as low as 4 days one time. There has got to be diminishing returns on flavors extracted versus hop freshness at some point. What are your guys thoughts on length of dry hopping? Has anyone done a side by side test of different time frames of dry hop and noticed a difference?

5-7 days tops I say.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ScaerCroe posted:

I can never decide how long to dry hop beers. I have done 2 weeks, 1 week, and even gone as low as 4 days one time. There has got to be diminishing returns on flavors extracted versus hop freshness at some point. What are your guys thoughts on length of dry hopping? Has anyone done a side by side test of different time frames of dry hop and noticed a difference?

I've linked it before, but this is my 'go-to' for sperging over hops: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/09/galaxy-hopped-double-ipa.html

These days with my IPAs, I dry hop right around or after fermentation completes, use more than I think I should, and sit it for two weeks at 68-70 before cold crashing for a few days. No finings/whirfloc/etc., although I don't think they really strip much in the way of hop compounds. My last Galaxy IPA was the hoppiest yet - 2oz galaxy+ 1oz zythos+ whatever amarillo whole leaf i had in the freezer and it was a punch in the face, first with fruit (mango), then with generic "DIPA"-like hoppiness (ala Super IPA, Alpine, and so on)

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Josh Wow posted:

Drop the carapils and replace it with a pound of light DME and take your 30 minute additions and move them to flameout.

Quoting for truth because it's pretty straight forward 'fix' to that recipe.

Also: Berliner Weisse trip report

Really, really great. Just about everything I wanted it to be, maybe wanted it a bit more dry/tart, but for my first try at sour mashing, it was a huge success. If your afraid of sour mashing, you don't know what you are missing; I mashed/brewed on a weekday, no problems.

e: I should also say this was the Champagne yeast version that landed at 1.008, where the conditioning Cal Common version ended at 1.006. Not sure what to make of that.

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 29, 2013

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Saint Darwin posted:

My friend says if you get real cider yeast, and a gallon of cider, the usual "yeast in the drink balloon on the top" works really well.

edit: On that topic since I couldn't find any on my last trip to the HBS (will be going soon to replace my shattered hydrometer), http://www.amazon.com/packs-KIV-1116-Lalvin-Yeast-Winemaking/dp/B004348K2Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1364518035&sr=8-5&keywords=cider+yeast ?

I have a 2 week camping trip coming up in August and I'd like to have at least 4 cases of beer and 10 jugs of cider ready for then (that's not too crazy for 10 people). I know anything I make now probably won't be the best by then but I'd like to get the technique down.

I have not tried that particular strain, but this poo poo is so easy to make, why not try a bunch of things and see what works for you? White labs makes an English Cider strain (WLP775) and I imagine Wyeast does also. Champagne yeast finishes very dry. I found Lalvin D47 to finish quite sweet in cider. S-04 takes forever to settle but eventually makes a tasty batch. There's a guy on HBT who has tried many many strains and has a good writeup of all of them - check it out.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

So I bought a 10-gallon Rubbermaid cooler from Home Depot, and a bazooka screen from Brew & Grow, and with the parts I got from my old HLT I built a new MLT. :dance:

The only issue is that the shank on the original was apparently really short, as I couldn't put it back together in the same way and still be able to fit on the retaining screw piece. I ended up leaving off the washer on the outside of the cooler, so the faucet/valve assembly presses directly on the outer washer. But I've had it holding liquid for 45 minutes now without a drop leaking out, so it seems to be pretty stable. :) I may try to fit it on another time, or possibly find a bigger shank.

What experiences do you guys have with bazooka screen versus false bottom? I'm obviously keeping my 7-gallon false-bottom MLT, but I'm curious as to whether I'll see any major performance differences between the two.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I've only used a bazooka tube and a braided dishwasher hose and I've never had a stuck mash, nor any problems getting clear run off.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Jo3sh posted:

I have not tried that particular strain, but this poo poo is so easy to make, why not try a bunch of things and see what works for you? White labs makes an English Cider strain (WLP775) and I imagine Wyeast does also. Champagne yeast finishes very dry. I found Lalvin D47 to finish quite sweet in cider. S-04 takes forever to settle but eventually makes a tasty batch. There's a guy on HBT who has tried many many strains and has a good writeup of all of them - check it out.

Amazon has 775 for sale but I am reeaaally wary about ordering a yeast that as far as I know needs to be refrigerated until a few hours before use. That's actually what I was looking for at my store but they only had beer yeasts.

But I will get a few and do a comparison!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Saint Darwin posted:

Amazon has 775 for sale but I am reeaaally wary about ordering a yeast that as far as I know needs to be refrigerated until a few hours before.

Northern Brewer offers the option to ship with an ice pack.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Ubik posted:

What experiences do you guys have with bazooka screen versus false bottom? I'm obviously keeping my 7-gallon false-bottom MLT, but I'm curious as to whether I'll see any major performance differences between the two.

I've used both and have had far fewer problems with the Bazooka screen. Performance in terms of extraction has been about the same.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
So, I have a "first", and would love some input.

I have maybe another gallon or so in a keg of an IPA I brewed in February. Haven't taken a draw from it in maybe 10 days or so. In the last few pints I'd noticed a smell that I hadn't gotten from a beer ever since my first extract beer, an English IPA, and it was there from the start with that one. I just assumed that since the only common denominator with the two was a half gallon of DME wort, that's what it was...but in a 5 gallon keg I thought it wouldn't have an effect. That first extract brew was only a 1-gallon thing.

All that said, I took a draw of a pint of this IPA tonight and I'm about to pitch it down the drain, holy crap it's lovely all of a sudden. That extract-y smell has increased (if it's even that), but it's now brought along a buddy, this rotten/fake sugary smell AND taste that's bordering on vanilla.

Could this be what happens when an IPA's hops begin to turn? Can that even happen? All my other IPAs have kicked quickly and I've never had this issue. Nothing has been touched within the kegerator and the pressure/co2 is all good on the keg.

I'm abysmal with categorizing off flavors; have no problem picking them up but I don't know, even when looking at a flavor wheel, what I'm tasting or smelling. I just know I'm about to have an available keg quicker than I expected.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Jo3sh posted:

Yup, it's like comparing a growler of beer to a handle of bourbon - even though they are close to the same volume, drinking one in an evening would get you pretty buzzed and you would not want to drive for a few hours, but drinking the other in the same timeframe would be extremely unwise.

Nevemind, that was gauche.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 29, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

wattershed posted:

Could this be what happens when an IPA's hops begin to turn? Can that even happen? All my other IPAs have kicked quickly and I've never had this issue. Nothing has been touched within the kegerator and the pressure/co2 is all good on the keg.

Your beer should not be going bad that fast so something likely got into it somehow. Hops are a natural preservative so it's unlikely that that is what is causing the issue.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Hey so I'm brewing 10gallons of cream ale tomorrow that I will then bottle and give out as favors for my wedding. This will be my last extract brew ever. I've never made a cream ale before and this one seems pretty standard:

Steep:
1.5lbs Honey Malt
0.5lbs Belgian Biscuit

Extract:
12lbs Pilsen malt syrup

Hops:
2oz Cluster @ 60

Yeast:
WY1056 - American Ale

You think I should add anything to spice it up? I was thinking maybe half a pound of sugar to at least boost it from 4.1%abv to around 4.5%abv. Also have considered putting a single vanilla bean in the secondary, but maybe that's just too weird? I want people to like the beer as universally as possible.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I don't know much about cream ales (I haven't made one yet, but it's near the top of the list to get to style-wise), so I'm interested in finding out how those cream ale flavors come about. My understanding is that it frequently comes from corn adjuncts, but there's also http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp080-cream-ale-yeast-blend

So...please to educate me on cream ales.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

hellfaucet posted:

I want people to like the beer as universally as possible.

I don't think spicing it up or boosting the ABV is really needed for a cream ale. It exactly fulfills your desire for a beer to be loved universally - it's not a beer that beer nerds would sperge out on or stand in line in the cold to get, but when done well, it's really a perfect American session beer. The clear, clean grain flavors shine through, and you can have a few over an afternoon without getting wrecked.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

withak posted:

Northern Brewer offers the option to ship with an ice pack.
I've forgotten to include the ice pack in my order multiple times and each time they've put the ice pack in anyway, which is pretty awesome of them.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Jo3sh posted:

I don't think spicing it up or boosting the ABV is really needed for a cream ale. It exactly fulfills your desire for a beer to be loved universally - it's not a beer that beer nerds would sperge out on or stand in line in the cold to get, but when done well, it's really a perfect American session beer. The clear, clean grain flavors shine through, and you can have a few over an afternoon without getting wrecked.

Yeah, good call. This isn't one that should be experimented with.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Saint Darwin posted:

Both 1116 and 1118 are extremely aggressive and will give you very dry finishes. If you are ordering online then there's much more variety available. It won't hurt to try as an experiment but you might also want to try D47, DV10, RC212 and R2. You can get all of those and more at MoreBeer's wine making site. It's worth trying to get some Wyeast Sweet Mead at some point too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Any suggestions on a good beer to brew for use in a shandy? My wife wants a batch ready for the summer. I've heard hefeweizens are good; any other recommendations?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Any suggestions on a good beer to brew for use in a shandy? My wife wants a batch ready for the summer. I've heard hefeweizens are good; any other recommendations?

I'd do a witbier over a hefe for a shandy, but you're right on in doing something with plenty of wheat.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Greetings, The AHA governing committee elections are going to end on March 31st and I’m looking for every vote I can get. If you are an AHA member please visit the following site and vote in the election

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/membership/aha-governing-committee/election

I’ve attached my bio and the reason why I’m running to the bottom of this message. I was (and I’m sure you are) upset with the way the NHC competition was handled this year. My single focus for next year if I’m elected to the Governing Committee is to actually listen to membership feedback about the event and implement the changes necessary to avoid the embarrassment of what happened this year. The current Governing Committee should feel ashamed of what happened and should be working their every free moment to avoid having it happen again. Sadly based upon feedback on the AHA forum I don’t believe this is happening.

Please, I’m asking you to give me your vote so I can be in a position to help improve the NHC competition and the AHA. Please goons, help me out!!!!!

Thanks
-Chris Hummert

My name is Chris Hummert and I’ve been a homebrewer for approximately 8 years. I’ve served in various positions for the Oregon Brew Crew which is one of the oldest and largest homebrewing clubs in the United States. I will be serving as their President in 2013. I’ve also served as the Vice President in 2012 and 2011 and as the Competition Chair in 2010, 07 and 06. I was also part of the group that formed the Oregon Homebrewers Alliance and helped pass SB 444 which allowed Oregon Homebrewers the right to transport their homebrew outside of their homes. (For more information visit: http://oregonhomebrewersalliance.org ). I’m also the organizer of an event called Hop Madness. In addition to this, I’ve ran the NHC competition in the Oregon/Northwest area for 2 years.

I’m running for the AHA Governing Board because I’ve been unhappy with the way things have been run. In 2012 there were lots of things that caught my attention and fixing them is the reason why I’m running.

NHC competition – The NHC competition in the northwest has become a joke. For the 2013 competition three clubs in the northwest have been asked to host the event and all three have said they are not interested. This comes down to a few reasons. First is that the northwest region is overcrowded. We have one of the highest concentrations of homebrewers which causes our region to sell out faster than any other. There have been calls to split the region up and all we’ve heard is nothing from the AHA. Second number of entries and the entry fees have increased, yet the money we’ve received to put on these competitions has decreased. Local clubs have had to take money out of their own budgets to cover the extra cost of the competition and not getting reimbursed for it. Finally, the support and direction we’ve received from putting on this competition has been lacking and there needs to be a better guide to help clubs put this event on. If I’m elected to the AHA governing committee I will work on implementing the following measures

1. This was a new piece of software and the AHA should have stressed tested it ahead of time to figure out if it was going to be able to handle the load. It’s obvious that this wasn’t done. I will push for this to be done 3 months ahead of time so that those types of issues can be identified ahead of time.

2. We will have a meeting with all of the organizers of the regional competitions to find out what worked, what didn’t work and what the AHA needs to change to improve the experience

3. Work on finding a better time to start registration. There have been a lot of complaints about registration happening in the middle of the traditional workday. I will work on finding out if moving it to a different time would work better

4. I will push for mailing a survey out to all AHA members to find out what they thought of the NHC competition and find out from them what we should do to improve it. This survey will be public and I will push to have the results tabulated and published at the AHA website for discussion

5. Explore the option of having a “member’s only day” for the NHC competition where only AHA members have the opportunity to enter their beer, then the next day registration opens up to everyone who is not an AHA member

Once we have the data from the membership back I’ll push to make sure that these changes are made. Many suggestions have been made on the AHA forums and other related forums and the current Governing Committee has not listened to membership input. It’s time to get people in there who can act on membership suggestions and get changes implemented before next year’s competition faster than the current snail’s pace that the current Governing Committee is moving at.

AHA national convention – While the number of attendees for this event has increased, the organizational level needed to handle that growth has not. Combine that with some archaic rules on hosting the event, the potential to change this event for the better become apparent.

I look at the current board and I see a lot of faces that have been on there for years. The AHA has grown in size and most of the local members I’ve talked to are just as unhappy about the way things are going as I am. It’s time for new blood on the board and some fresh ideas. If you vote for me, I promise to work on the things listed above and make this a better organization.

Thanks
Chris Hummert
President
Oregon Brew Crew

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

hellfaucet posted:

Cream ale recipe

The only thing very minor thing I can see with this recipe is that some people think cluster tastes like cat pee. I don't know if that would come through in a 60 minute addition but something like Liberty or Palisade might be a safer bet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

crazyfish posted:

I'd do a witbier over a hefe for a shandy, but you're right on in doing something with plenty of wheat.

What's the difference between a witbier over an American Wheat Beer? I was thinking that this looked really appealing. I'm not sure what the end result would be, but I was thinking about adding a bit of honey to go with the lemonade. Thoughts?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 29, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Noghri_ViR posted:

Greetings, The AHA governing committee elections are going to end on March 31st and I’m looking for every vote I can get. If you are an AHA member please visit the following site and vote in the election

Haha I voted a week or two ago and, in all seriousness, voted for you. I need to go back and re-listen to your Brewing Network interview now that I know you're a goon.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I'm going to use all RO/DI water for a 5 gallon batch tomorrow. I'm going to add some Burton salts to the water, but I'm unsure of how much I should add. The package says 1/3 oz. per 5 gallons, but I don't know if that's for tap water or what. It's a blonde ale if that matters.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
A while back I mentioned that my 5th generation pale/ipa cake took a SMaSH I mashed @151F down to 1.002 and someone suggested that as the generations increase so (might) the attenuation. Well I just bottled a similar IPA that I mashed @156F in an attempt to reserve some maltiness and it finished at 1.010 (what I wanted in the first place).

So it looks like there may be some truth to the theory, at least anecdotally.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

U.S. Barryl posted:

I'm going to use all RO/DI water for a 5 gallon batch tomorrow. I'm going to add some Burton salts to the water, but I'm unsure of how much I should add. The package says 1/3 oz. per 5 gallons, but I don't know if that's for tap water or what. It's a blonde ale if that matters.

From what I can see looking around on the Internet, 1/3 ounce (about 9.5 grams) is something close to right to treat RO water for 5 gallons - if you're going for Burton water, which is exceptionally hard. Unless you're specifically setting out to create a Burton Blonde, though, it might be a bit much. I'd try a couple of grams, maybe three, in your brewing water and see if that gets what you want.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
Ugh, my starter of WLP500 straight from the White Labs tube didn't take off and has a funky almost phenolic smell after a day on the stirplate. It still has the clear wort-y color not the creamy healthy starter color.

The tube had a best by date of 3/23/13 so it's not the oldest tube I've ever used. It had gone kind of browninsh just sitting in the fridge in its tube. The tube of London Ale yeast I got at the same time still looks creamy and good.

I've never used WLP500 before and maybe this isn't abnormal but I've had enough Chimay to know that something's off.

Regarding process I used some pressure canned wort from a batch I've had good results with and a well sanitized stirbar/flask. Nothing but RO and DME in the wort. As always I tasted the wort dregs after decanting into the flask and everything seemed OK.

I guess it's off to Eagle Rock tomorrow to pick up a new tube since I'm not going to risk 10 gallons of Tripel on a wonky starter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

hellfaucet posted:

Hey so I'm brewing 10gallons of cream ale tomorrow that I will then bottle and give out as favors for my wedding. This will be my last extract brew ever. I've never made a cream ale before and this one seems pretty standard:

Steep:
1.5lbs Honey Malt
0.5lbs Belgian Biscuit

Extract:
12lbs Pilsen malt syrup

Hops:
2oz Cluster @ 60

Yeast:
WY1056 - American Ale

You think I should add anything to spice it up? I was thinking maybe half a pound of sugar to at least boost it from 4.1%abv to around 4.5%abv. Also have considered putting a single vanilla bean in the secondary, but maybe that's just too weird? I want people to like the beer as universally as possible.

I think the sugar would be a good idea given that Cream Ale is supposed to be quite crisp and dry. I've seen a lot of Cream Ale recipes that sugar or corn as an adjunct to keep the body light.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

Jo3sh posted:

From what I can see looking around on the Internet, 1/3 ounce (about 9.5 grams) is something close to right to treat RO water for 5 gallons - if you're going for Burton water, which is exceptionally hard. Unless you're specifically setting out to create a Burton Blonde, though, it might be a bit much. I'd try a couple of grams, maybe three, in your brewing water and see if that gets what you want.

Thank you. Yes, I think I'll back off just a little bit, since I'm not trying for Burton water. I just know I need to add a bit of salt back to my water. My next supply order is going to be individual salts, but my local place just had these Burton salts.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's the difference between a witbier over an American Wheat Beer? I was thinking that this looked really appealing. I'm not sure what the end result would be, but I was thinking about adding a bit of honey to go with the lemonade. Thoughts?

A witbier will use a Belgian wit yeast (WY3944 as an example) and it's gonna have more yeast character than an American. Belgian versions are also generally spiced (coriander and orange peel) so you'll add a bit of complexity to it as well. An American wheat would be good in a shandy too, and I think either will be a crowd pleaser.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

crazyfish posted:

A witbier will use a Belgian wit yeast (WY3944 as an example) and it's gonna have more yeast character than an American. Belgian versions are also generally spiced (coriander and orange peel) so you'll add a bit of complexity to it as well. An American wheat would be good in a shandy too, and I think either will be a crowd pleaser.

I made a wheat pale ale hopped with amarillo, citra, and sorachi ace that was pretty awesome when mixed with lemonade (and by itself, obviously). It's a good style for that type of product.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I took my non-spicy jalapeno vodka and put four roasted Serrano peppers and one roasted habenero pepper in it for two days. I ended up putting about 2 tsp of vodka per beer and it is pleasantly spicy. It doesn't melt your face, but the fruity pepper flavor is strong and there is some heat.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

I took my non-spicy jalapeno vodka and put four roasted Serrano peppers and one roasted habenero pepper in it for two days. I ended up putting about 2 tsp of vodka per beer and it is pleasantly spicy. It doesn't melt your face, but the fruity pepper flavor is strong and there is some heat.

Interesting, when I get mine going I will totally do that.

So I just replaced my hydrometer and checked my beer and it says (temp corrected) 1.012 FG. According to Hopville that is basically correct (it estimated 1.009 to 1.011). I don't have the OG reading so I can't make sure it's not being crazy. I tested it in the thief after my reading and it tasted kind of weird. I assume that's just because it was a pretty yeasty sample of flat beer from a warm bucket. So of course being an idiot I forgot to get the bottle sterilization pump thing at the store, but I did get caps and I do have bottles, so I'll next day ship something from Amazon and bottle it Monday if I remain convinced it's done.

The guy at the HBS said that primaries usually don't actually take more than 2 or 3 days, but it's easier time-wise to just do it on weekends. I didn't know this?

edit: I grabbed a few more vials of yeast and stuff to do the first batch that I know is good. I also got champagne yeast to make ginger beer and cider yeast to see how it differs from baking yeast in my TURBO JUICE recipe. Ferment ALL THE THINGS

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 30, 2013

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

So I just replaced my hydrometer and checked my bear
Orally or anally?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

nmfree posted:

Orally or anally?

I heard he was a real growler :downsrim:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

It's got a real grizzly aftertaste.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

fullroundaction posted:

I figured it would get hairy at some point, I was just wondering how soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ScaerCroe posted:

I've gotten grassy vegetal tastes from longer than ten. I try to keep between 5 and 7. I don't think you are providing much outside of that range.

Also, I've taken to whirl-pooling aroma hops from flameout to transfer. You don't lose much in the way of oils/aromas and you can go to bottle sooner in my opinion.