Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Malcolm XML posted:

it's a halfassed solution which requires an entirely new infrastructure to run /quickly/

not gonna pretend to know how its implemented but this js vm guy seems to think "the implementation cost should be small compared to the potential upside" https://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=2599

also lol native client did some poster really suggest that was a better solution than this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

monocqc what are your opinions on go, considering the whole concurrency movement going on + its being obsessed with on hn

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Malcolm XML posted:

it's a halfassed solution which requires an entirely new infrastructure to run /quickly/

there's no point to asm.js if it runs slowly, who the hell wants to play an unreal engine game at 10 fps?

since it requires essentially the same amount of effort on the hands of engine writers why bother?

just wait computers will catch up

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

gucci void main posted:

monocqc what are your opinions on go, considering the whole concurrency movement going on + its being obsessed with on hn

I have never tried it myself, so most of my opinions will be borrowed from people I know who tried it and commented on it. Go seems like one of these incremental languages that is not revolutionary, but tries to improve on some tried-and-true ideas.

It does some very nifty things, like optimizing some cases for compiling speed, allowing automated code clean up, etc. It tries to deal with some of the social issues related to programming, which not enough languages try to do IMO.

Then it makes some very weird decisions that seem to be made to help language implementers rather than programmers. Funny take on exceptions and generics, very, very weird GC (on 32 bits, it confuses pointers with integers, also this).

Also Go seems nice to go solve some lower-level things, and it allows shared data and uses synchronous semantics across channels. The Erlang programmer in me screams "this is folly!" as memory should be isolated and asynchronous is the one true way to deal with concurrency errors (though you can easily make sync processes async with queues and async ones sync with acks), but I am not surprised to see people do awesome stuff with it. Channels also have very nice properties that are fun to work with in general.

I don't know. I guess I see it as a concurrency-oriented C spinoff, rather than a true concurrency-oriented language. I'm more interested to see how Rust does for lower level stuff.

Again, I haven't ever programmed go, so my opinion isn't worth much on it.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

gucci void main posted:

go is literally a cargo cult language

it looked at erlang's actor model and hoare's work on csp and thought 'that's cool, let's do that' and proudly advertised itself as a language with lightweight processes and message passing completely missing the fact that the actor model and csp are a cost you pay to buy the benefits of isolated processes

go just skipped the isolated processes part

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

tef posted:

hey see all those programs people are porting to js, wouldn't it be nice if the output js from cross compiling it was idiomatic, so a vm could do nice things and get better performance

2.1.7 intish

Even though JavaScript only supports floating-point arithmetic, most operations can simulate integer arithmetic by coercing their result to an integer. For example, adding two integers may overflow beyond the 32-bit range, but coercing the result back to an integer produces the same 32-bit integer as integer addition in, say, C.

The intish type represents the result of a JavaScript integer operation that must be coerced back to an integer with an explicit coercion (ToInt32 for signed integers and ToUint32 for unsigned integers). Validation requires all intish values to be immediately passed to an operator or standard library that performs the appropriate coercion or else dropped via an expression statement. This way, each integer operation can be compiled directly to machine operations.

The one operator that does not support this approach is multiplication. (Multiplying two large integers can result in a large enough double that some lower bits of precision are lost.) So asm.js does not support applying the multiplication operator to integer operands. Instead, the proposed Math.imul function is recommended as the proper means of implementing integer multiplication.

yes this is the right technological foundation for a new cross-platform vm

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Mr Dog posted:

this is the latest poo poo Mozilla are pushing in their JAVASCRIPT IN ALL OF THE THINGS crusade

apparently they translated Unreal Engine into this poo poo or something

fucks sake use LLVM or NaCl or something

sure let's just ship llvm in our browsers. and i guess a filesystem. oh and a posix subsystem. gently caress it let's just embed linux in firefox/chrome

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

sure let's just ship llvm in our browsers. and i guess a filesystem. oh and a posix subsystem. gently caress it let's just embed linux in firefox/chrome

congratulations, you've reinvented nacl

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

here's a better implementation of asm.js:

1. Implementation

It is recommented that the proper means of implementing asm.js is the proposed Math.jvm("url-to-library.jar") function.

there, all done

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Linux doesn't have any decent console based programs to connect to a wireless network.
So I made one. :smug: Although I cheated and it uses iwlist and wpa_supplicant. Still, it does all the heavy lifting and now connecting via wireless in a terminal doesn't suck balls!

Technically it's a api that uses the Message Queue to send a struct over to a small html server I made, but with the debug flag turned on I can use it as a console app.

I should probably pretty it up and throw it up on github one of these days.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Linux doesn't have any decent console based programs

yes we know

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Malcolm XML posted:

there's no point to asm.js if it runs slowly, who the hell wants to play an unreal engine game at 10 fps?

since it requires essentially the same amount of effort on the hands of engine writers why bother?

yes, in the case of say unreal engine 3, running it on a non-accelerated engine is going to likely be too slow. however there are tons of classes of apps that are already being built with emscripten that would still remain usable while degraded. basically anything in the utilities section in https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki runs fantastic on current browsers. ex anything on http://repl.it with my highly scientific benchmark of [x**2 for x in range(10000)] computes pretty much instantly here.

just ignore mozilla's whole angle of playing up UE3 for the mobile web, but that's irrelevant, because nobody cares about firefox os, and you can already run UE3 on android and ios, the only mobile platforms that matter.

switching away from js in the browser is nothing but a pipe dream/nightmare? of shaggars everywhere. something like asm.js however gets it within striking distance of native which is Good Enough for many uses, and doesn't land us in horrible nacl land where nobody can run it and nobody wants to use it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Now that's just incorrect and you know it. :colbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Now that's just incorrect and you know it. :colbert:

uh i work for red hat i think i know what i'm talking about when it comes to this linux stuff

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

uh i work for red hat i think i know what i'm talking about when it comes to this linux stuff

Obviously not. You work for Red Hat.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Obviously not. You work for Red Hat.

oh ok thx!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You're welcome. :v

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

MononcQc posted:

Again, I haven't ever programmed go, so my opinion isn't worth much on it.
I work for Google, have written at least 10k lines of Go, and my conclusion is that it's nothing less or more than what C++ should have been.

If you go into it expecting C with more reasonable syntax and an immature compiler, plus some basic threading primitives, you'll be happy. It's a decent replacement for Python in cases where eval() isn't needed, and not quite as mind-numbingly verbose as Java. The interface concept is nice.

But make no mistake, it's a very very conservative language. Writing in Go feels like stepping through a wormhole into the '80s. There's no real type inference[1], no type parameters, no re-exporting imported symbols, no typed enums, and no encapsulation (!!) except at the file/package level. It's obvious that the core developers think C89 was the absolute pinnacle of language design.

[1] Variable assignments use the equivalent of C++'s "auto" keyword.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

are there a bunch of dyslexic programmers? verbosity isn't an actual problem for anything except possibly a serialization format. java has a fuckton of high quality libraries so its the best. the end, no need to discuss further. any other consideration is worthless undergraduate dribble compared to making someone else do the real work

programmers with actual problems to solve and not just databases to skin are permitted to use other languages. if you haven't received your suspenders and pipe yet please check with nancy in purchasing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

are there a bunch of dyslexic programmers? verbosity isn't an actual problem for anything except possibly a serialization format. java has a fuckton of high quality libraries so its the best. the end, no need to discuss further. any other consideration is worthless undergraduate dribble compared to making someone else do the real work

programmers with actual problems to solve and not just databases to skin are permitted to use other languages. if you haven't received your suspenders and pipe yet please check with nancy in purchasing

Right. Clearly there aren't a fuckton of high quality libraries for ANY other languages. Lol gtfo you lovely planger.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Right. Clearly there aren't a fuckton of high quality libraries for ANY other languages. Lol gtfo you lovely planger.

not really, no. theres stupid bullshit resume projects and web frameworks and thats about it. also you have no idea what a p-langer is

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

not really, no. theres stupid bullshit resume projects and web frameworks and thats about it. also you have no idea what a p-langer is

If you think any one language is "the best" you haven't coded enough. I dog on Java not because its inherently a bad language (it isnt.). Its because of stupid fuckers who claim "its the best.".

PS. A planger is somebody who doesn't know how computers work.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

If you think any one language is "the best" you haven't coded enough. I dog on Java not because its inherently a bad language (it isnt.). Its because of stupid fuckers who claim "its the best.".

PS. A planger is somebody who doesn't know how computers work.

nope a p-langer is someone who uses a p-lang i.e. burp and fart programming language

and java is the best end of story. the only use cases for non-java are so small they're properly called edge cases

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
mods, please close and gas this terrible thread

thanks in advance !

: )

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

nope a p-langer is someone who uses a p-lang i.e. burp and fart programming language

and java is the best end of story. the only use cases for non-java are so small they're properly called edge cases

Hence why planger is somebody who doesn't know how computers work. Thanks for proving me right I guess.

Enjoy coding Java in your IDE that was coded in c/c++ on your is that was coded in c/c++ on your browser that was coded in c/c++ etc etc...

Its almost like languages are tools! Next you are going to say one OS > Other OS!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 29, 2013

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Hence why planger is somebody who doesn't know how computers work. Thanks for proving me right I guess.

Enjoy coding Java in your IDE that was coded in c/c++ on your is that was coded in c/c++ on your browser that was coded in c/c++ etc etc...

Its almost like languages are tools! Next you are going to say one OS > Other OS!

intellij and eclipse are both written in java. fly away troll

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Oh look at me, i'm python, I have to be formatted properly to work? Is your tabs wrong? Can't write lovely looking code that looks like this?
code:
int i;int j;int main (void){while ((scanf("%i", &j)))for (i = j; i >= 0; i-- {usleep(1000000);printf("%i\n", i);}return 0;}
WELL gently caress YOU!

Oh whats that? You don't have to declare anything? Why sure! Come on in spelling mistakes.

Python is a pretty terrible language for a multitude of reasons. Those two being the biggest.

lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

the entire point is that a) people are using llvm to compile things to js (emscriptem), and to make it easier for the existing vms to go 'oh I see what you're doing'

it's a hack atop a hack, but that is what progress is.

life is a series of hacks atop hacks, and look at how much of a mess that is

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Progress is using double the RAM to complete a task as it took last year.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

productive-languages are also for people who know how computers work but don't want to be arrogant about it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

is the first step to solving any issues still echo 0 > /selinux/enforce

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

is the first step to solving any issues still echo 0 > /selinux/enforce

echo 0 > /dev/sda

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java and c# are the best and ftw.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Nomnom Cookie posted:

are there a bunch of dyslexic programmers? verbosity isn't an actual problem for anything except possibly a serialization format.

nope

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

right. java has the best libraries of any language and c#s are pretty good and then every other language is a wasteland of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I mean I guess perl has lots of libs, but idk if i'd call them good. also you'd have to be using perl, soooooooo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

echo 0 > /dev/sda

everyone knows to use /dev/urandom

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

jesus christ gtfo

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Zombywuf posted:

Progress is using double the RAM to complete a task as it took last year.

Displaying a lovely blog post:

html -> html + js -> perl -> php -> php + js -> php + js + mysql for every single thing

Sounds about right.